[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png (151 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png
151 KB, 250x349
>>
>smash brothers will never be as good as melee
>>
>>344333669
but melee is a smash brothers game ya dope.
>>
>>344333669
>being this stupid
>>
I will win Evo
>>
File: 1467840894485.jpg (112 KB, 960x912) Image search: [Google]
1467840894485.jpg
112 KB, 960x912
>>344332310
>mang0 wins like 1 major
>everyone acts like he's the favorite to win EVO now
I know his fanboys are biased but holy fuck
>>
File: 1467827449800.jpg (136 KB, 1165x752) Image search: [Google]
1467827449800.jpg
136 KB, 1165x752
>>344333669
>Smash and Brothers no longer working together
>>
>>344333669
Feels pretty bad. I just don't understand how they could fuck up the actual gamefeel so badly.

Aside from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's fucking AWFUL title, it was at least closer to Melee than Brawl.
>>
ppmd will win EVO
>>
>>344332310
I'm training with Marth but I can't seem to know how to expand with him. I know how to L cancel, Wavedash, Shield Drop(Not in battle), ken combo but I can't seem to think of any specific techniques I need to train him with. Is he mostly reliant for spacies? What is the magic that comes with Marth when playing him?
>>
>>344333989
>Smash 4 is so bad it made Mario permanently pissed
>>
File: 1461547569566.png (110 KB, 222x340) Image search: [Google]
1461547569566.png
110 KB, 222x340
who /EVOhype/ here?
>>
>>344334076
Is he so good he can win a event without attending it?
>>
JimJamFlimFlam will win EVO
>>
>>344334175
>>344334076
>>344333989
Why are you talking about SSDs in a Smash Bros. thread?
>>
>>344334076
lol no. He's been to 2 events this year (with shit placings) while some other players are going to 2-3 events per month. Even if his health is 100% he's going to be so out of practice
>>
>>344332310
>still not a serious fighting game
>>
>>344334238
he re-confirmed he's going. Axe got sick
>>
Melee is very fun at a casual level and it's interesting to watch high-level melee being played, but even after putting in countless hours into this game I can't get better. It's kind of depressing.
>>
>>
>>344332310
Fox vs Fox: The Meta Has Been Dead For 10 Years Edition
>>
>>344334427
Wait what?
>>
>>344334428
Trust me. The more you try to train and get better the high competitive tier matches will be all the less grandiose.
>>
Could someone explain to me the whole "smash bros is/isn't a fighting game" debate and why people care? I mean, it obviously is a fighting game (in its own subgenre), but even if it weren't I don't see how that affects how good the game is. E.g. are starcraft and quake bad games because they aren't fighting games?

I don't mean to start another round of shitposting, but I see things like "melee is not a fighting game therefore it sucks" and "melee is super complicated which makes it a fighting game which means it's good" and both those things seems absurd.
>>
File: zretard.png (45 KB, 825x418) Image search: [Google]
zretard.png
45 KB, 825x418
>>344334767
only people who don't play or follow the game parrot this stupid fox only meme. There was 2 players who used fox in top 8, and m2k only used him for the jigglypuff matchup.

Fuck outta here with your tired ass bullshit
>>
Ice is only good in europe
>>
File: smash tier list.png (320 KB, 1042x496) Image search: [Google]
smash tier list.png
320 KB, 1042x496
>>
>>344335518
Noone cares any more
>>
>>344338750
besides shitposters and non-smash players, I mean. Actual Smash players dont give a shit what genre you'd classify it in. However shitters still bring it up for some reason
>>
>>344338750
If only that were true.
>>344323161
>>
>>344338910
>We aren't just Melee players, we are technical Gods.
Why you would take a post like this seriously is beyond me
>>
>>344334076
he's cucked
>>
>>344335362
More like the better you get the more you understand how impossible it is to do the shit the top 5 players do.
>>
File: py9NcxLb.jpg (6 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
py9NcxLb.jpg
6 KB, 160x160
>>344335518
>Could someone explain to me the whole "smash bros is/isn't a fighting game" debate and why people care?

Alright, here's the reasoning. Fighting games are different from esports in that the emphasis is on in-person, offline play. The minute amounts of micro-lag that don't really affect a game of Dota or Starcraft completely ruin fighting games. To really be playing the game at a high level, you gotta be offline.

So there's tons of fighting game meetups in most metropolitan areas. Most of the guys are in their mid-20s and older by now, because the newer generations of gamers aren't as interested. Games like Street Fighter, Marvel, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, etc where many mechanics are shared and being very good at one of them often means you're at least decent at the others. Good enough to enter your local tournament and not get shitstomped immediately.

Then came Smash bros. The gameplay itself has little in common with the games I mentioned previously, so the player base has little overlap. If you play Street Fighter seriously, you probably know the ropes of Marvel. If you play Smash, odds are you just play Smash. There's also the elephant in the room: it's a Nintendo franchise. There's more kids and teenagers involved. Lots of them.

Tournament organizers realized that because of the lack of overlap, if you have both traditional fighting games AND Smash at your event, you basically double your attendance and ticket sales. So now you have two very different communities being pushed under the same roof, with one of them being much newer and typically younger players on average, leading to lots of misbehavior and weird antics. For example a side tournament for (I believe) CvS2 at Evo last year had its signs torn down and their room was invaded by a bunch of kids who decided they felt like playing Smash in there.

(1/2)
>>
>>344339626
noone cares, talk about gameplay
>>
File: t4gfeg.png (469 KB, 645x749) Image search: [Google]
t4gfeg.png
469 KB, 645x749
>>344339626
(2/2)

There's also the issue of setup incompatibility. FGC players need low response-time HD monitors. Melee fans need CRTs and gamecubes. The latter takes up a ton of room and makes the whole place a hundred degrees. Also, because of the aforementioned Nintendo autism demographic, smashfans stereotypically have poor hygiene. Multiple posts on their subreddit get made about this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2d2q5y/im_at_my_first_tournament_why_dont_people_shower/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2i11is/big_house_4_will_have_a_stank_bouncer_to_refuse/

They also have a habit of rushing to venues while other events are going on so they can have good seats for when Smash comes on, leaving the fans of the current game outside and making the twitch stream sound oddly silent. Pic related.

Basically, "not a fighting game" isn't just about gameplay. It's a completely different community that doesn't get along with the FGC and has no overlap with it, but is often featured at the same events.
>>
why can i waveland onto platforms and not onto the stage? It seems so much harder to do
>>
>>344340567
???
just do diagonal down and shoulder button when above any platform. perfect wavelands where you do it horizontally are hard but you dont need those for now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-UPjuFNWo4#t=45m50s
Evo is still a grand event but noone is looking forward to the actual tournament part any more lol. Seeding is fucked, Smash 4 time slot is fucked, smash 4 has a bunch of death pools, etc
>>
>>344336564
i didn't no getting 9th place at most american supermajors is 'only good in europe'
>>
>>344334767
MVC2's character bias is worse, prove me wrong. Let's say both only have 4 good characters, Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Magneto, Sentinel, Cable, and Storm. But in MVC2:

>you have to have 3 characters on a team
>the roster is more than twice as big, so more characters are shit
>those shit characters can't use items or hazards in casual play to make up for it
>>
>>344341964
Someone didn't get the memo. If you criticize Evo at all then you're being """"entitled"""" and need to shut up and deal with it.
>>
>>344344347
Its fuckin sad man. Whenever I see people criticize EVO, the response from the FGC is generally just
>XDDD Smashfags crying again!!
>if you dont like it just win!! duh!!!
No actual counterarguments. The seeding is F U C K E D
>>
Let memee die already.
>>
>>344344653
memes never die
>>
>>344344653
I can make you look pathetic too

>A band had to cancel a concert in Sweden because of rape and there were a bunch of cops shot in Dallas? WHO CARES, YOU SHOULD REALLY BE CONCERNED ABOUT SOME GUYS I'D NEVER PLAY GAMES WITH PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.