[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do gamers get so butthurt when you tell them video games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: 1461699330099.png (152 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
1461699330099.png
152 KB, 335x525
Why do gamers get so butthurt when you tell them video games aren't art?
>>
>>344309518
Because that's just like your opinion man
>>
>gamers
i fucking hate this word
>>
File: 1403503810269.jpg (42 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1403503810269.jpg
42 KB, 500x380
>>344309518
Why do you get butthurt when people say games are art?
>>
>>344309607
I get that referance
>>
>>344309743
Shouldn't you be playing Beyond: Two Souls or something, pleb?
>>
>>344309518
as long as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8
is art
vidya is art
>>
>>344309681
Stop crying, it's an easier way to say "person who plays video games" and has been commonly used since the 80s until you faggot suddenly found it displeasing
>>
>>344311048
>he thinks that the term 'art' refers to the quality of the piece
>>
>>344311332
I don't identify as "gamer", check your non video game player privilege.
>>
File: but hey, that's just a theory.png (152 KB, 307x262) Image search: [Google]
but hey, that's just a theory.png
152 KB, 307x262
because muh culture
>>
>>344311332
i rather call myself player and us playbase instead of gamer and gamers
>>
>>344309518
This debate seems to come back frequently.
Why Video game shouldn't be considered Art?
Actually, what is Art?
>>
>>344309518
It's not being butthurt, I just think you are retarded.
Video games include things like music, painting, sculpting, writing, etc
So of course video games are art. It's just that they mix it with interactive gameplay too.
>>
File: picasso098.jpg (66 KB, 395x500) Image search: [Google]
picasso098.jpg
66 KB, 395x500
>>344309518
I'm not, because some people consider pic related art while I think it looks like some old fart on lsd made with his mouth.

It's like this dude said
>>344309607
>>
That isn't the case now though. A decade ago when gaming was still largely a shunned hobby all the nerds were in dire need of validation. I know this because I was and I didn't realize it at the time. Not until the hipster fags came with their "art" games and their ideas of what games should be like that I finally reverted back on the idea that games could ever be art or should ever aspire to be. The first and foremost purpose of a video game is to be fun. Put that on a fucking pedestal or something cause any game that aspires to any less than that is a crappy game.
>>
File: Odin-Sphere-1.jpg (167 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Odin-Sphere-1.jpg
167 KB, 1920x1080
>>344315042
>The first and foremost purpose of a video game is to be fun
I totally agree with that.
But games can be both fun AND look good.
The latest example I could name is Odin's Sphere.
It's fun and looks like a fucking oil painting.
>>
>>344316251
You get me wrong. When I say games can't or shouldn't strive to be art I don't mean that in a visual sense. Games can have art in them or they can look good. They just shouldn't sacrifice gameplay so they can be some post-modernist story-telling device
>>
File: 1466380975294.jpg (71 KB, 592x533) Image search: [Google]
1466380975294.jpg
71 KB, 592x533
>cinema is art
>literature is art
>music is art
>combine all three
>lol not art
?
>>
>>344309518
Because they objectively are
>>
>>344317231
Movies also have music in it, do you go to the cinema to listen to music? No.

Can a movie be great without sound or music? Yes.

So the strength of a medium does not come from combining other mediums together. It holds on it's own. Video games are enjoyable not because they have all those things they are enjoyable because they are fun. That's where their value comes from. Being fun. They aren't art and they don't need to be.

Tetris is still great without all those things you mentioned.
>>
>>344317726
I disagree. A movie can be better with audio and music. Obviously it's not always needed and sometimes it even ruins it but it can make it better. I'm not saying the combination of mediums is what makes games great. I'm saying it's literally a combination of all 3 art mediums so how can it not be art. Think of it like this. Take the story/dialogue from a game, literature. Take the ost and call it an album, music. Take the cutscenes, cinema. Oh but when they are all in one place and you can have fun with it all of a sudden it's not art. What kind of logic is that.
>>
>>344309518

The same reason why artists get butthurt that their art is not considered art.
>>
>>344309518
Depends who you say it to
If someone's average afternoon is Last of Us, MGS4, or any other game that tries that hard to be a movie, they're probably up their own ass about games being """""art"""""
On the other hand a retro gamer probably wouldn't care that much.

I, for one, think they are. Because to me you don't have to do much to be art.

If https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E can be called art, which music is considered to be, then i think it's safe to say Chrono Trigger deserves the Mordern equivalent of Roger Ebert's seal of approval.
>>
>>344317726
But its still art, even if the gameplay is the most important part.
>>
>>344317231
Cinema is not a game.
Literature is not a game.
Music is not a game.

Video games are games.
Games are not art.
Video games are not art.
>>
>>344317726
If movies can be considered art on their screenplay, games can be considered art on their gameplay

Just imo
>>
>there are people who think it actually MATTERS whether a video game is considered art

you're fucking retards lmao

no different from e-sports faggots trying to gain legitimacy in public view. They tried to call themselves athletes, you try to pretend you're a connoisseur of art
>>
>>344318758
I specifically gave the example of Tetris because of this. There are games that use audio in a dynamic way that enhances the experiences but the most basic part of the interaction still remains the same. That is true for all great games.

Also loling @ you comparing video game cutscenes to cinema.

>>344319447

Tell me how a great game is art. Tell me how Tetris is art. Tell me how an arena shooter is art.

>>344319791

A screenplay of a movie is not the movie though.
>>
>>344309518
Video games are fun, and that's good enough.
>>
>>344320024
I'm not completely sure i get your rebuttle, if it even is one at all, but I compare the two because they are the same in terms of conveying what's happening in a story visually. Plus graphics are getting to the point where it really is cinema. If cgi movies are cinema then so can videogame cutscenes.
>>
>>344320035
You need to be at least 18 years old to post here.
>>
File: 5.png (312 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
5.png
312 KB, 480x360
>giving a shit about "art"
It's nothing more than a meme title, like how your boss made you the executive bathroom administrator so you feel good about cleaning shit off the bathroom stall walls at your job in walmart.
>>
I don't even care

"art" is a useless label that can be applied to near anything, if a can of shit can be art then I don't fucking care what is or isn't art
>>
>>344320532
Fair point. The only thing is that most CGI heavy movies are shit and there is nothing in video games that even comes close to the quality of Pixar movies. Also we are now arguing whether video game cutscenes are cinema or not. Always trying to make video games in to shit they are not. Cutscenes are literally the worst things about video games anyway
>>
>>344316251
Art hasn't got anything to do with looking good though

At least not anymore
>>
>>344320795
I think i might of explained it wrong to begin with. Think of a videogame as a really long interactive movie. There that's what i meant. It just tells the story a bit differently than most movies. Via gameplay.
>>
>>344311332
I find it displeasing because the people who refer to themselves as "gamer" are all fucking retarded, no exceptions.
>>
Is Monopoly art? How about Risk? DnD? No. They're games. Tell me why those aren't considered art, but video games are.
>>
>>344322460
*fixes lensless glasses anime style*
Ugh, I couldn't agree more. Fucking plebians using normie lingo so they can "fit in" to a community about individualism.
>>
>>344323286
you need to kill yourself
>>
>>344309518
Because they want to believe that games have cultural significance and that they aren't just wasting their lives by playing them all day. But it doesn't actually matter.
>>
>>344309518

It's not really that though. If you can put your name on a urinal and call it art, pretty much anything is art.
>>
>>344309607
>>344314703
>facts are opinions

Hang yourself
>>
>>344323384
we both do
>>
>>344323842
you first
>>
>>344323539
Nice opinion, retard
>>
>>344317726
>Movies also have music in it, do you go to the cinema to listen to music? No.
First paragraph and you're already this fucking stupid.
>>
>>344323967
Only if you tell me how much you loved me and give me a big wet kiss afterwards.
>>
>>344325123
i'll fuck your corpse if you want just to it already fgt
>>
>>344325440
No "fucking" is gross, I want this to be a romantic suicide. As far as I'll let you go is a deep tongue kiss and you can dry-prod my anus a little bit, but any further turns this into degeneracy. Also the kiss you have to sigh deeply and say "see you in a few" right after the kiss and shoot yourself in the throat and bleed out 2 minutes later while hugging me.
>>
>>344309518

Art
1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

>to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

A video game can be art. It completely depends on the type of game and what the creators expect you to get out of it. All video games are creative by nature, but most are intended to be appreciated for a combination of attributes culminating in the gameplay that the user enjoys.

Are games imaginative?
Yes

Are games creative?
Yes

Are games produced to be PRIMARILY appreciated for their beauty alone?
Generally no

For their emotional power?
Generally no
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.