[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JULY 22ND, I REPEAT, JULY 22ND YOU CAN PLAY THE FINISHED GAME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 46
JULY 22ND, I REPEAT, JULY 22ND

YOU CAN PLAY THE FINISHED GAME ON UNSTABLE RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>344309026
>finished game
>unstable

Try that sentence again please
>>
Is it fun yet?
>>
Is it good yet?
>>
>>344309026
what did they add

better yet, is it good AT ALL and worth installing
>>
>>344309169
>>344309260

is better than before. No more boring planets, tons of quests, combat that works and survival mode
>>
>>344309026

This game seems cool, can I build my own spaceship like your pic related?

Tell me a little about it.
>>
>>344309457
just tell me, will it still have 10 hours of grinding on the first planet before you can move your spaceship?
>>
File: 1460590555513.jpg (31 KB, 672x496) Image search: [Google]
1460590555513.jpg
31 KB, 672x496
>finished
What a fucking scam
>>
>>344309603
>10 hours of grinding
is like one
>>
>>344309603
>>344309603
>>344309603
>>344309603

the most important thing, i wanna know that too
>>
>>344309026
If I were to play it on Unstable, does my progress carry over to the "release"?
>>
>>344309552
Nope, you collect materials to level it up so you have more space to place shit.
>>
>>344309715
Probably
>>
>>344309457
>combat that works

So it was improved from the previous "update"? Because that wasn't an improvement at all, it was just made to be different.
>>
>>344309783

Darn.

Immediately dropped.
>>
>>344309457
I'll try it when it's actually out. I remember reinstalling it every time they made a 'major' update to the combat and planets, and it never made a real difference. The game is forever going to be known as a shitty Terraria clone.
>>
I bet it's shit but I hope not since I payed 15 bucks for this.
>>
>>344309026
You can play Terraria right now.
>>
>>344313150
the only reason I even bought starbound is because terraria had that nasty bug that would reset my progress
>>
>In the time it took for Starbound to release, Terraria has nearly tripled in size content wise
Bravo
>>
>>344309149
Mighty No. 9
>>
File: 1460555164429.jpg (235 KB, 878x592) Image search: [Google]
1460555164429.jpg
235 KB, 878x592
>>344313586
Leave
>>
>>344309026
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

It doesn't matter how many cool features or how much TECHNOLOGY they add, these things only serve to make a good game great. They don't make a bad game good.

Starbound has the potential to be one of the comfiest, coolest games in existence and it fucks it up at every turn. Its progression is a mess and continues to be a mess no matter what changes they make.

Go to planet, dig deep to get new materials to make a crafting station and grab fuel, fight a boss, move on to next tier, repeat nine more times. The biomes are purely cosmetic, the enemy differences are purely cosmetic, literally every single difference in the game is cosmetic.

It's got a soul, I'll give it that much, but it has no MEAT. IT'S JUST A PILE OF DISCONNECTED BONES AND A FUCKING TARP OF SKIN TOSSED ON TOP OF IT.

And it has no fucking brain to figure out how to build muscles to make the skin and bones stand up and stick together.

It's such a fucking shame. I look at all the cool shit, importing music files, easy modding, a pretty good lighting engine, all those water physics, easy background walls, but it shits the bed on a basic mechanical level when it comes to making an actually good fucking game.

And the worst thing is... even if it does get good, sometime in the far-flung, distant future, it won't make up for how shit it was, for as long as it was, nor all the horseshit its completely incompetent devs put us through. Most people will forever regard it with distaste, and any others will take months if not years to reassess the damnable thing.

It's just... not worth the effort. It's not worth caring about, especially when it has a proven track record of not knowing what the fuck it should be doing.
>>
>Terraria looks ugly but is the better game
>Starbound looks amazing but is the worse game

FUCK
>>
>>344313730
I played all the way through Mighty No. 9 and got 3 significant audio glitches, 1 softlock, and horrible framerate issues all the way through.
>>
>>344313847
the game just needs a modular mod system and the community can fix it

the base game is fine it just has nothing to do in it
>>
>>344313838
thanks for destroying my hope, then resurrecting it as undead and killing it again with holy
>>
>>344313838
so pretty much terraria
>>
File: tow_pa46_1024.png (841 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tow_pa46_1024.png
841 KB, 1024x576
Could anyone who has actually played Starbound tell me if this swing grappling is exactly the same, worse, or better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydX8dISSwqc

>>344314170
Terraria's got a modding community. Hell, just the other day I was playing a mod that gave enemies prefixes and added a small handful of non-broken items that focused on adding new mechanics rather than being infinity times infinity swords, coupled with a mod that lets new characters choose a class that modifies their stats and may add new mechanics on top of giving them basic starter equipment, as well as improving their stats with each boss defeated, and in some cases, active-use abilities.

Like the Soulbound, who can only have one summon minion but buffs it through the fucking roof.

Or the Angel that has worse life regen and a lower maximum health, but has built-in angel wings from the very beginning.

Or the Chronomancer that buffs magic damage and has higher mana regen, but everything else is shit, comes with a Gold Watch from the beginning, and can rip a hole in time, then return to that hole in time with a bang on top of regaining any life lost since you cast it.

Or the Arcane Sniper that gets moderate buffs to both magic and ranged, and can consume mana to reduce ammo consumption.

>>344313847
Snailman NPC.
>>
File: 1445018266045.png (2 MB, 3120x1680) Image search: [Google]
1445018266045.png
2 MB, 3120x1680
>>344313847
>Terraria looks ugly
Have you not updated to 1.2 yet?
>>
>>344315298
Couldn't be more wrong. There are bosses you can outright skip in Terraria, there are bosses you can do early, there's a lot of options with regards to progression and content in general, most weapons and armours aren't simply tiered up from each other, and combat isn't the only thing that improves as you go through the game.

One class can progress from killing generic mooks, and another can progress by fucking farming mushrooms.

Only Hardmode really railroads you into a boss-based progression but even then you've got options that you can jam in, and furthermore it isn't just about digging as deep as possible from the surface over and over and over just to get the new shit. The experiences you have in Terraria vary wildly from the experiences you have in Starbound.
>>
is cold and food back ?
>>
File: 1466422777178.png (2 MB, 1776x2704) Image search: [Google]
1466422777178.png
2 MB, 1776x2704
>>344315342
>>
Man I'd love to pick up Terraria again but I can't handle the weird ass frame drop and slowdown this game gives me.
>>
File: CuckLord.png (70 KB, 168x203) Image search: [Google]
CuckLord.png
70 KB, 168x203
>>344315321
That pic makes me depressed. Otherworld looks so good but it feels like it will never be released.

>tfw its almost been the same amount of time since news and between when the game was announced and said news
>>
>>344316090
Get a better toaster.
>>
>>344315965
wish I could build remotely as good as this, every time I play I just make some square mess.
>>
>TERRARIA BTFO
>TOLD YOU IT WOULD RELEASE
>NEVER EVER FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Consider the following

>It's 2013, you've backed Starbound and it's doing incredibly well
>Hype is infinite, a cosy game to play for Christmas, excitement is unmeasurable
>It ends up on Steam on early access...but it's missing almost everything
>"Okay." You say you yourself
>They'll likely add it in over a few months, they are a small team after all
>It's mid-2014
>People are still making fun of Starbound never coming out
>Your kickstarter and steam money is in the hands of the developer as they very, very slowly make tiny additions to the game
>You're wondering what's taking so long, but the excitement is still there.
>It's just on the backburner for now
>It's January 2015
>Starbound is still without almost all of it's promised content
>It cannot be mentioned without people mocking you for paying for it, mocking you for backing it, mocking you for supporting such absent, incompetent developers
>In the time of it being developed, the "rival" Terraria is filled to bursting point with free content, and rumours circle about a Terraria equivalent of Starbound in the works
>You're a bit annoyed that it isn't out yet, but you paid money for this game and want to support it
>It's fucking Jung of 2016
>Release date announced
>Somebody tries to start a hype thread
>You are now realising that it has been 3 years since you paid full price for this game
>3 years since you paid EXTRA to back it on Kickstarter
>3 years of FUCKING nothing
>People talk about how good the game could be, the potential, the possibilities of such an amazing game
>3
>fucking
>years

Sure, lads. It might be good. But am I fuck buying it at full price after they scammed so many people. Poor bastards.
>>
Fuck all y'all, I'm now gonna try shilling the Class-Based RPG <od for Terraria to try and convince someone to start a server with it.

~Blood Knight~
>Starting Items : Shadewood sword, 10 crimson seeds.
>Choosing this class will grant : +5% melee damage, +1 life regen, -10% all other damage.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +2% melee damage, or +.5 life regen.
>Special : Bonuses triple in Crimson, with the added bonus of accelerated natural life regen.
Active : Channels terrible power into a roar that damages and knocks back nearby enemies, spreading crimson. Damage scales with level and melee damage.

~Dragoon~
>Starting Items : Spear.
>Choosing this class will grant : +5% melee damage, 1.3x jump speed and max fall speed, 1.1x movespeed and max run speed, -10% all other damage.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +4% melee damage, or 1.15x jump speed and max fall speed, 1.05x movespeed and max run speed.
>Special : Deals more melee damage and takes less damage while falling, scaling with velocity. Takes no fall damage.
>Active : Charge up a powerful leap, maxing charge at 2 seconds. Jump height scales with level, charge, and jump speed. Bonuses normally gained while falling are significantly increased for this leap, and max fall speed is multiplied by 1.5x.
>>
>>344316813
I really felt scammed, it's the game that stopped me backing/pre ordering.
>>
>>344316939
what's the point of such tiny percentage changes? you won't even notice that shit while playing
>>
I bought and played it and it entertained me for like 10 hours, grinding though the technology and all the quests and shit. Mining for fuel and finding neat items. But then it all just stops like you've hit a brick wall. There's literally no endgame once you've done all the quests.

There needs to be some continual source of engagement for the player to keep them hooked.

As it stands
>>344313838
Is completely true, though I am holding out hope it gets more autonomous in its engagement
>>
>>344316939
~Pirate~
>Starting Items : Buccaneer vanity set, Flintlock pistol, 24 musket balls.
>Choosing this class will grant : +4% melee speed and damage, +4% ranged damage, +10 fishing skill, +6% melee* and bullet* damage, -20% all other damage.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +2% melee damage and speed, +4% melee damage*, or +2% ranged damage and +4% bullet damage*.
>Special : Bonuses with an asterisk * are only active by the Ocean.
>Active : If near the ocean, calls cannon fire to rain down upon the earth. Number and damage of cannonballs scale with level, damage scales with ranged. If too far from the ocean for support, instead drinks a bottle of rum for melee and bullet bonuses (though defense also takes a hit), scaling with level. This buff overrides Tipsy.

~Moth~
>Starting Items : Flask of Poison.
>Choosing this class will grant : +1 bonus level.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +2/3 seconds air time, +.6 (~9.6%) max horizontal flight speed, and increased handling or +1 bonus level.
>Active : Toggled ability. While inactive, generates a stock of poison spores up to a max that scales with level. While active, flapping your wings will release poison spores, consuming the stock built up. Spores are also generated while active, but at a very slow rate. Spores fall slowly downward, damaging and poisoning enemies touched for 4 seconds. Damage of spores and poison scales only with level.
>Special : All damage inflicted on enemies applies a multiplier any DoT effects on that enemy. Multiplier scales with level. Class starts with Wings with base air time of 1.5 sec and base max speed of 6.25.

>>344317204
With EVERY NEW BOSS DEFEATED the bonuses add up.
>>
File: 1467911071252.png (198 KB, 499x427) Image search: [Google]
1467911071252.png
198 KB, 499x427
>>344316168
>i7-4820k 16 gigs of ram with a GTx780

Computers suck
>>
>>344316964
Sorry to hear that, brah. At least you learned.
>>
Is there any reason at all to play this game over Terraria if I want to build things
>>
>>344317468
Try to change the lightning. That worked for me.

This reminds me when Minecraft was slow as fuck. DL'd java 64bits and all solved.
>>
>>344315965
comfy :)
>>
File: optimization.jpg (162 KB, 1354x911) Image search: [Google]
optimization.jpg
162 KB, 1354x911
I tried giving unstable a shot

Is a pixel game supposed to stress my processor more than a modern AAA title
>>
>>344317349
~Angler~
>Starting Items : Angler hat, Reinforced fishing pole, Bug net.
>Choosing this class will grant : +10 fishing skill, -10% all damage.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +5 fishing skill.
>Active : Throw a piece of magic shark bait. The enemy hit by the bait will attract a shark, regardless of any nearby water (don't ask how). The shark leaps up, chomping on the enemy (and anything nearby), knocking it up into the air and dealing damage scaling with level and fishing power. This includes current bait and fishing rod in the calculation. The shark deals half damage on the way down.

~Fortress~
>Starting Items : Full Iron Armor
>Choosing this class will grant : 5 defense, 20 max life, 100% thorns, higher chance of being targeted, and -10% to all damage.
>Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : 4 defense or 20 max life.
>Active : Stone self for 4 seconds, gaining massive damage reduction. When you break out of the stone, gain bonus damage for 6 seconds relative to the damage you took while stoned.

~Explorer~
Starting Items : Hook, Mining Helmet, 20 Spelunker glowsticks.
Choosing this class will grant : +1 block placement range, +20% jump speed boost, movement speed, and max run speed, +1 life regen, +60 wing and rocket time, +10% pick speed, -10% all damage.
Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of : +1 block placement range, +1 life regen, +5% jump speed boost; +5% movement speed, and max run speed,+30 wing and rocket time, +5% pick speed.
Active : Teleports the player as if a teleportation potion had been used.
>>
>>344317570
I haven't tried this newest update on unstable, but from the start until this release..no. Terreria is far superior.
>>
>>344317753
I'll try that out, thanks.
>>
>>344316168
Not him, but I couldn't play Starbound at all on my computer, but I can play most games on high or extreme with ease. Starbound is a fucking 2D pixel game and is harder on your computer than some AAA title on maximum?
>>
File: sealeo.png (4 KB, 227x180) Image search: [Google]
sealeo.png
4 KB, 227x180
The only thing I really enjoyed about Starbound was hanging out with friends as I played the instruments.
I can do the exact same thing in Terraria minus the instruments.
Terraria needs custom instruments so I can play music while my friends mine out things. It would be so fucking great.
>>
>>344316939
>>344317349
>>344318242
fuck off
>>
>>344318242
this sounds dope as hell, what is the mod called?
>>
>>344318242
>>344317349
>>344316939
Try the Terraria general if you actually want

Trying to derail a Starbound thread makes you look kind of desperate, which is what the shills want. Just sage and ignore and it'll be dead in like 10 minutes
>>
>>344309026

Do the unstable saves carry over to release?
Does it have the "Serious and dark story" that they said it was going to have before they started filling it with penguins?
Can you finish the story?

I was horribly disappointed in it but I might reinstall to take a look at "Release".
>>
>>344318714
The mod is:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/class-based-rpg-mod.43901/

You just drop the file into this mod loader, super easy.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-tmodloader-a-modding-api.23726/

Literally just fucking copy the files from the link above into your program files/steam/steamapps/common/terraria and replace the Terraria.Exe (I suggest moving it or backing it up beforehand so you can essentially "uninstall" the modloader just by swapping Terraria.exe files), then load the game, open the mod folder from the game, and drop the mod into the folder, then hit "reload mods" and you're done.

I'm actually really impressed how much easier Terraria modding has become over time.
>>
>>344319036
thanks senpai
>>
Does it actually work? I can wait if it's a bit buggy, but if it's absolutely fine then I'll play.
>>
>>344318954
Starbound threads are typically full of people who also play Terraria. Given that there's no Terraria thread already up, and starting a thread with HEY GUYS LET'S PLAY MODS, yeah I'm kind of desperate to play this shit multiplayer.

That third post would have been the last one if I didn't get replies.
>>
>>344319181
Wow, proofreading.
"and starting a thread with HEY GUYS LET'S PLAY MODS typically goes nowhere fast" is what I meant to write.
>>
>>344318612
>while my slaves mine out things
fixed kek
>>
>>344313838
this pasta is getting pretty stale
>>
>>344313847
never played Terraria
what makes Terraria the better game?
>>
>>344309026

> Finished.

Yeah, okay.
>>
>>344319554
>pasta
But I wrote that out by hand, and the only thing actually paraphrased from a former post was the "TECHNOLOGY ... only serve[s] to make a good game great" bit.

>>344319664
The actual game portion of the game.

Everything that isn't the actual game portion of the game is better in Starbound, but everything that is the actual game portion of the game is better in Terraria.
>>
>>344318209
modern AAA studios are probably going to be better equipped to optimize their games than some 2 man indie studio that have no idea what they're doing
>>
>>344309603
No, you can buy fuel from the outpost now, and theres no more "need this tier of armor to face this boss" shit. You still need radiation, fire and cold protection to go safely to harder planets. I spent enough time on the starter planet to get the 20 crystals you need to move on to the outpost and thats it, i faced the first boss with no armor on
>>
>>344318209
you should have seen 1 year ago

it lagged like dogshit when you visited the space station to collect quests
>>
>>344319792
now could you deliver me an example, please, because I never ever played Terraria
>>
>>344320168
The progression is more enjoyable and varied in general and the experience changes and improves as you progress further in the game, with certain features in the game allowing you to essentially sequence break certain bits and pieces of progression with skill, knowledge, and patience, and different results for doing so.

Different biomes have actual reasons to be visited separate from each other, the enemies are premade and thus have character and individual rewards, rather than being slapped together from RNG bits and pieces when you visit a different planet with very little if any reason to hunt down specific monster types.

Bosses aren't just progression gates, each one also has its own unique rewards if you want to face off against it more than once to acquire different loots. There are completely optional bosses and events that you can trigger on purpose or completely avoid, with their own unique rewards for completing them to make them worthwhile.

So on and so forth.

Meanwhile, Starbound has a better engine and framework underneath it all, allowing it to do neat things with lighting, physics, fluid mechanics, unique environments, is in general a lot prettier (although I personally find the aesthetic itself to be kind of hollow), has features like importing music files so you can grab instruments in the game and play music with them, and so on.

But in terms of the progression, balancing, mechanics of building, mining, combat, and so on, it's consistently shit the bed with a fairly lacklustre experience. Each tier feels very, very similar and there's not a whole lot to do outside of the basic progression that doesn't just feel pointless and cosmetic. Also the basic progression is relatively short compared to Terraria's.
>>
>>344320168
An example: in Terraria you make a homebase that fucking matters. Because often you get besieged by monsters. Hence you build traps, position NPCs rooms and whatever, to make it more handy for you during a fight.
Another example: in Terraria you have a world worth visiting more than one time. You build passageways, manage biomes and generally arrange it as you wish. You have no motivation to do any of it in Starbound.
>>
>>344321209
t. someone who hasn't touched Starbound in ages

1.0 blows current Terraria out of the water. Please don't spread misinformation.
>>
>>344321642
Please give me an example of information which may correct me, then, instead of simply spouting a meme and saying "No, you're wrong."
>>
>>344321642
t. chucklefish
>>
>>344321642
So tell us with a post with a similiar length why he's not right and you are, instead of accusing him of "misinformation".
Last time I played Starbound I got cancer.
>>
>>344321642
fuck off.
>>
>>344321209
thank you for this insight
>>
>>344321642
Literally all he said is true, ive been playing current nightly starbound. And everytime i do all it makes me wish is thati was playing terraria instead
>>
>>344321642
You can't fool me tiy
>>
>>344321642
How come it's okay when the devs spread it?
>>
File: 1445584352734.png (634 KB, 535x364) Image search: [Google]
1445584352734.png
634 KB, 535x364
Are you guys sure "Unstable" is version 1.0? When I hit escape after playing with it a bit it said version 0.8
>>
File: 1457953322039.jpg (2 KB, 126x108) Image search: [Google]
1457953322039.jpg
2 KB, 126x108
>>344315321
Would you mind posting the names of the mods you used? Those sound pretty interesting.
>>
does this mean the return of the salt mine that is starbound general
>>
>>344323341
The first one is Prefixes for Enemies: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/prefixes-for-enemies.40620/

The second one is "Class Based RPG Mod" as seen here: >>344319036
>>
>>344323341
thanks moot
>>344323572
Thanks. I think I'll give em a try. Now I'm just waiting for omnir to finish porting his mod.
>>
>>344323960
>omnir
I thought he was dead thanks to studying?
>>
What are some top tier mods for terraria?
>>
>>344309026

Late game planets are still only lava biomes ?
>>
how do i play the unstable 1.0 release?
>>
>>344324101
He's working on it, just slowly. The last update he gave was on June 26, and he was only done porting armor.
>>
File: 1465345672963.png (649 KB, 620x539) Image search: [Google]
1465345672963.png
649 KB, 620x539
>>344318612
>start up Terraria with 2 friends
>One of them walks into the jungle right out the get go, builds a bed and a house, and lives there
>other vanishes beneath the crust, cannot fucking find him for hours
>death messages pop up constantly between the two of them
Guys please
>>
>>344324312
If you bought the steam version like myself, unfortunately, you install the unstable version, instead of the regular one and in the properties you opt for the nightly version
>>
>>344323356
God I hope so (this is OP). I was there in the fucking glory days of that general in 2014. It was glorious, we were all united as one pissed off whole at Tiy.

I've been trying to revive SBG, but no one cares. Hopefully when it releases we can all collectively fuck the pain away again
>>
>>344324501
oh ok thank you
>>
So is this actually good now? I've already played Terraria for 300+ hours.
>>
File: 5505d4a832ede.png (201 KB, 300x337) Image search: [Google]
5505d4a832ede.png
201 KB, 300x337
>>344324434
>Playing Terraria with friends
>"Should we do an expert world?"
>"Yeah we can totally handle it"
>I take things slow, grenades in hand.
>Constant death messages from friends
>Haven't died once
>"Hey man come check this out"
>wormhole
>It's a trap, die from antlion rapebeasts
>"hahaha dude you suck at this game"
>Don't share anything for the rest of the game
>At full health, decked out with platinum gear, they're still all in wood armor
>Summon EOC
>Everyone dies
>MFW
>>
File: regret.png (27 KB, 420x197) Image search: [Google]
regret.png
27 KB, 420x197
>Haven't played in 3 years
>Nothing has changed since then except more hats
>>
>>344309457
But planets are still boring. There's fuck all underground. Here and there you'll find a structure that may have a chest, otherwise it's just caves and caves with nothing on them. They may have different biomes now, but they don't have anything interesting on them
>>
>>344309709
>>344309603
Yes, you can scram from where you first land now.
>>
>>344325106
>109h
>regret
>>
>>344323235

Fellers please, I want to squeeze enjoyment out of my wasted moneydollars. Spoonfeed me the fun.
>>
>>344325502
Unstable version has most of the 1.0 changes, but it doesn't have the changes reported to only appear once the stable release hits July 22nd.
>>
>>344325030
You sound like a dick
>>
>>344323235
Did you opt for the nightly version? The game starts in an academy now, if you didnt start there you don't have the 1.0 version
>>
>>344326231
I am.
>>
File: 1457257889757.gif (95 KB, 315x572) Image search: [Google]
1457257889757.gif
95 KB, 315x572
>>344309026
Oh cool, on my birthday.
What are they adding?
>>
>>344309026
Everyone is bitching about how bad it is, but have any of you considered what they can do to make it good?

>Space exploration
You enter space, and it takes, like, twelve minutes to reach another planet. The stuff in your ship is interactable somehow, like a television that displays other nearby players or communication, etc.

>You can engineer new species
You take dna from natural found animals, and engineer new ones through combinations. Then, you can release them on a planet you find and see what they do. Maybe they are killed by some natural animals. Maybe they do all the killing. Maybe the natural animals suddenly evolve to defend themselves against the animals. Maybe you can make them into entertaining pets and SELL THEM on some sort of Galactic MARKETPLACE.

>Interactivity and team building
People can create guilds and structure. Soon you'll discover some planets are occupied by hundreds of dedicated members of a guild, and they will trade with you. Not only that, but this encourages others to travel to other planets to gather resources to sell to those people. Also, your planet NEEDS resources to run some of the machines to keep the planet thriving. So now you and your team must CONSTANTLY seek resources to stay on top. This will lead to many resources not becoming deflated so that newer users won't be able to make any money.

>There is ZERO Pay to Play, but there are comedic buying options
This way people can rub their digital style in the faces of others, but are unable to buy buttloads of resources and screw up the economy.

>War
Players should be able to fight one another to steal resources or something. This will encourage bounty systems...which will lead to interstellar bounty hunters.

>Customizable pixels
Some templates of blocks, such as cobblestone or some shit, should be dyable with other colors. That way, if someone wants to make a ship out of whatever material, they can customize the color scheme.
>>
File: 11.6.15. - 1.gif (1 MB, 280x150) Image search: [Google]
11.6.15. - 1.gif
1 MB, 280x150
>>344326416
At least you're not one of those players like pic related. R-right?
>>
File: 1467239228409.jpg (30 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1467239228409.jpg
30 KB, 292x257
>>344314193
underrated post
>>
>>344315321
I'm returning to terraria
Where are you getting these mods baka senpai?
>>
>>344328519
Nvm
>>
>>344328519
tModloader literally has a fucking browser that lets you pull up and download mods.

I'm fucking serious.

Although for those I browsed the Terraria forum's modding subforums and looked for mods that were simple and would change the experience without bloating the game full of cancerous shit.
>>
>>344313243
What bug?
>>
>>344309303
Better than last year.
>>
>>344321642
Fuck off, Tiy.
>>
File: 1467939711827.gif (166 KB, 200x294) Image search: [Google]
1467939711827.gif
166 KB, 200x294
>>344309026
It doesn't matter what they add now.
I will never matter. I gave those dumbfucks more money than they deserved and I will always be mad.
>>
>>344327071
>You can engineer new species
Can you remove species as well?
>>
Jesus christ, this scan Floran clues mission is fucking cancer. I finally managed to track down a floran village and there's only enough items to scan to give me a bit over half the bar
>>
>>344330032
fuck off anon, literally anything is an improvement over last year.
>>
>>344324606
i'll never forget the days of sbg when watching every fucking community had enough of their shit to where they went to that one site to where you pay to post i forgot the name
>>
>>344309026
Are there Hylotl villages?
>>
>>344327241
If people are dicks, I'll be a dick in return.
I sometimes lure new players into bad situations for laughs
"Hey man, come check out this cool dungeon"
Hey, I only did it once. Twice.
>>
File: 1467907725768.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1467907725768.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
>>344325341
not him but a fuckload of people have way more hours logged than played because of a bug that didn't fully close the game unless you killed the process after exiting.

played about 15 hours amd logged over 100 because I was too retarded to notice steam showing I was still in-game

meanwhile Tiyuri is jerking into his scarf over how much people are playing it, refusing to acknowledge that this bug was happening and banning any sort of criticism off the forums

silly vocal minority trolls enjoy your ban ;)
>>
>>344332480
>didn't notice this glitch for a WEEK
>my 15 hours of starbound now looks like 400
oh yeah so many people love starbound
>>
Porn mods when
>>
>>344334261
Oh I meant to say good porn mods
>>
File: 1451953505711.jpg (52 KB, 392x594) Image search: [Google]
1451953505711.jpg
52 KB, 392x594
>>344334261
>>
>>344319036

How does multiplayer work? Does everyone need to manually load the mod or is it done through server connection?
>>
>>344335680
I assume that everyone needs to have the mod, like Minecraft.

Not that it's particularly difficult.

Copy Tmodloader files into Terraria folder, load Terraria, open Mod folder via Terraria, drop mod in, reload.
>>
>>344334261
S A U C E
>>
I hate Starbound's Quest system, they should just let people do whatever they want and just roam.

The bosses don't feel like a challenge, they feel like a chore, a progression lock.
>>
>>344334261
any nudes?
>>
>>344313847
I'd say its sounds better too. But I might be biased because I hate chiptune style music.
>>
>>344309026
The game is just stuck on an endless loading loop for me, no matter what client i open up.
>>
>>344326207

What are the changes that will only happen on the 22nd?
>>
>>344327071
Sure. If you can find them all...
>>
>yfw all the recent reviews of the game on Steam are absolutely positive
>yfw when all the helpful reviews are now positive

Did they purge all the negatives?
>>
>>344336347
Pretty sure bosses aren't tied to progression anymore. You can build/farm/whatever to get to the same state.
>>
>>344331865
Yes, on water planets.
>>
>>344339167
Is there any point to biomes now?
>>
>>344339459
Biome specific furniture and bricks are used in building houses that summon special NPCs (sort of like the Truffle in Terraria). There are also biome specific enemies that have special attacks and behaviors. They drop specific items used in crafting more powerful weapons.
>>
>>344315321
If you're still in the thread the creator of the rpg class mod recommends using other mods to increase difficulty. Are there any good ones or should I just stick with prefixes/expert mode?
>>
>>344338529
Yes, they complained to valve that all the negative reviews would hurt sales when they finally "release" the game.
>>
File: 1467178248276s.jpg (2 KB, 89x125) Image search: [Google]
1467178248276s.jpg
2 KB, 89x125
>Start a new game
>Find a sword on the first planet
>It has an *UNSHEATHES KATANA* tier ability
>>
>>344340513
Prefixes/expert might be the way to go. I actually don't have a lot of experience in terms of other mods that ADD difficulty.
>>
>>344339851
Is survival back in?
>>
>>344337758
Another animal in the loading screen, and being playable on Stable build.
>>
>>344340824
Food and hunger is, and food rots.
>>
Haven't played in about a year. What's in the full release?
>>
File: 1456169870334.jpg (249 KB, 720x1036) Image search: [Google]
1456169870334.jpg
249 KB, 720x1036
Will there be marriage?

No?

Then fuck right off.
>>
>>344341002
A lot. Don't know what you're looking for specifically.
>>
>>344319956
>that's ok because they're shit
they're shit but it's still NOT ok
>>
I liked starbound more than terraria
They both got fucking old though
Meele felt like trash and i don't want to be a ranged cuck
>>
>>344340824
Food rotting in survival, hunger gauge is back. Not sure if climate effects might be harsher or not.
>>
>>344340627
That's low, even for chucklefuck.
>>
File: cringe.jpg (11 KB, 393x380) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
11 KB, 393x380
>>344341020
>marriage
>with pixels

Why are furry people so overwhelmingly autistic?
>>
>>344341187
I think temperature isn't coming back, but climate effects exist. Things like rain and frost give negative status effects in some cases. Also stuff like breathing underwater isn't tied to an easy tech but a backpack now, so
>>
File: 1464293055401.png (52 KB, 366x176) Image search: [Google]
1464293055401.png
52 KB, 366x176
>>344341020
Post more birdwomen.
>>
>>344341020
Marriage might be easy to implement. But, tell me, what do you want in it? How will it affect the gameplay?

>>344341341
Anon, I wanna plug a Glitch. Is that wrong?
>>
>>344323235
I WANT TO KISS MOLLYS PINEAPPLE PIZZA DIARREA ENCRUSTED ASSHOLE!
>>
File: AAAAAAAH HELP ME FIDO.jpg (16 KB, 362x348) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAH HELP ME FIDO.jpg
16 KB, 362x348
>UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENE AT THE OUTPOST

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>344337758
It's just Steam Workshop support and fixing whatever bugs are reported from unstable
>>
So the 'full' version is on unstable now, but how unstable are we talking?

I'd like to try it out but I don't want to fucking lose everything because lolunstable
>>
>>344342947
You're going too anyway. Pretty sure saves don't transfer over.
>>
Hi, I hate Starbound but don't you guys think that anti-Starbound Terraria fans are just as bad? Ever notice how anti-Starbound Terraria fans are always complaining about Starbound s o they're just as bad, wouldn't you agree?
>>
>>344343082
Alright, whatever then. Have fun yourself too.
>>
>Playing Nightly
>Start off in the Protectorate. You're a student about to graduate
>A minute later, you see the leader get tentacle raped
>Dramatic escape with nothing to slow you down except an immobile, friendly tentacle
>You get a sword that looks like the Matter Manipulator though, so that's pretty cool. Make sure to not throw it away, you can upgrade it into the strongest weapon for "endgame"
>Terraria-levels of progression, just with less levels and more exploring
>Some fun boss fights, including a tumblrina ninja bitch and Big Brother
>Fuck those meme penguins though
>"Story" is you collecting MAGIC items to open a MAGICALLY sealed door to a planet-sized monster that's trapped in another dimension
>Literal God saves you after you suicide bomb the tentacle monster planet from the inside

This shit's trippy as hell
>>
Are they still trying to charge a fee for this trainwreck?
>>
Starbound sounds really cool on paper.
>terraria but you can go to different planets!
In reality this feature detracts from what makes Terraria special.
In Spacebound once you progress beyond the first planet you have no reason to go back there.
that quaint little cabin/house/hole you built will be abandoned and there is no reason to go back.
In Terraria its all on one "planet" so you build your quaint little cabin into a large village or fortress.
Building is pointless in starbound because you constantly abandon planets to find the next ore to make better pickaxes.
>>
File: x.png (937 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
x.png
937 KB, 1280x1280
>GAME IS ALMOST DONE
HOLY FUCK
is it 20014?
>>
>>344344250
At this point you barely spend any time on the first planet anyway though
Also starbound doesn't use pickaxes anymore for the most part, your matter manipulator is the main mining tool, and you can find upgrade modules for that anywhere.
>>
>>344344341
Better, it is 20XX.
>>
So I'm loading up Terraria for the first time essentially. What should I expect?

Been looking for a game to play when I don't have access to my desktop. Here's hoping that this is it.
>>
>>344345634
You should expect that the beginning isn't particularly indicative of the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0scnF8pXfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXdtDgpPeE
These trailers should give you a rough idea of what you can find and do in the game.
>>
File: 1400369296546.png (85 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
1400369296546.png
85 KB, 246x246
Wasn't this supposed to be finished 3 years ago?
I've been so disappointed by getting this back then, and no matter how good it gets, or if it does, it just won't be worth the long time it took for me
>>
So it's another DF-9 scenario where the dev just piddled around for a year and then called the current broken build "finished," then?
>>
>>344345634
It's a lot funner with friends
>>
File: 1467289820433.jpg (13 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
1467289820433.jpg
13 KB, 500x297
>>344345859
Just... go. It's kind of self-explanatory. Just go exploring, make better stuff, and eventually you'll find bosses and such. Something special happens after you defeat one of the biggest bosses at the bottom of the map. BE READY.
>>
>>344309783
missed potential any mods
>>
>>344345961
I don't even understand what you mean. Terraria is a perfect example of this. Gradually updates over the years so when you come back there's new shit to do.

It's not like you're subscribed to the game, you already paid you dumb touhou fuccboi
>>
>>344346014

Yeah I always got that impression when watching people play it. Most of my friends have already played it to death but maybe I can find a few who are interested in playing it again for my first time through.
>>
>>344346307
>>344346014
I actually find it less fun to play in groups, since my progression rate is so much slower.
>>
>>344309026
Who cares? It's shit.
>>
>>344345961
Many people forgot how Terraria was not 1.0 for a couple of years before. But it's OK when Red does it, right?
>>
Does it have as much content as terraria yet?
>>
>>344346558
Terraria released on 1.0 you dunce. The leak was a fucking leak, not early access.

1.1 was December of the same year, nine months later.
The 1.2 revival was just over a year and a half later.
>>
>>344309026
didn't they somehow turn this game from an open universe exploration game into some rail roaded as fuck "exploration" game?
>>
>>344346003
Not really. Most of the promised features they had at launch are now fully in.
>>
>>344346980
Even fossils?
>>
>>344347153
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0EMFF_qUs
>>
>>344347153
Yes.
>>
>>344347153
Fossils have been in for a while, there's a station for them
>>
>>344347234
I don't get what this is trying to prove? Fossils are in.
>>
File: 1400538540244.png (100 KB, 370x435) Image search: [Google]
1400538540244.png
100 KB, 370x435
>>344346184
>>344346558
I played both from the time they were out
When I first got terraria, I felt okay with it because it was comfortable and it didn't have any of the empty promises that I knew of
And as far as I know, this was the only game like itself, so there just wasn't anything to compare it to

But what makes this as disappointing as it is, so much was promised and claimed, they said it was supposed to be finished 3 years ago
It's just that with as long as it's taken, into 2016 already, it's hard to really redeem it anymore
>>
File: aqDwv3M.png (3 MB, 2139x1262) Image search: [Google]
aqDwv3M.png
3 MB, 2139x1262
>>344346307
it's fun with a couple of close friends to banter with while platforming late nights, but if you have to many people playing you just end up grinding.
Be warned, the game has a weird progression where you fight bosses to get access to better items/dungeons so you can fight stronger bosses to get even more loot. This boils down to having to check the item/boss progression from the wiki in order to advance in the game.

>>344346426
I play with two other guys and we try to uniquely specialize in melee, magic and projectile builds to minimize grind. We've never really had to slow down to much.
>>
>>344347543
Basically that fossils are in.
>>
>>344347234
>Fallout 4 in Space
Makes sense.
>>
>>344347624
It's mostly that I like to do a lot of building and farming and making stations and huts and shit.
>>
File: muh cropping.png (54 KB, 302x145) Image search: [Google]
muh cropping.png
54 KB, 302x145
How would you fix starbound?

I last checked to see what they added and there was a penguin boss or some shit. Those 94 hours are from the week it was released.
>>
>>344346980
Nobody's been able to answer this: What features are actually missing?
>>
File: 1467715397391s.jpg (2 KB, 125x124) Image search: [Google]
1467715397391s.jpg
2 KB, 125x124
>>344347607
Its a fucking video game you vietnam fucking shit. This isn't a movie that can't be changed, or a book that has to stay published in its current form. A great part of video games is that they can be developed constantly down the line. Tiy is a daft cunt who honestly deserves cancer or worse, but if he can make Starbound decent a couple decades from now, then the game is decent.

>Muh empty promises

In other words, the only thing keeping you from, at no cost, playing this game at some point in the future when it is actually developed, is your misplaced sense of "pride" or belonging that /v/ gave to you when you hopped on whatever "LE BLUNDER OF THE MONTH" fandom bandwagon was?

This place really went downhill after ToRtanic for this very reason. No wonder this is considered a containment board.

I may not be able to leave 4chan, but at the very least I can stay the fuck away from boards like these.
>>
>>344347607
I was one of the dumb folks who got it the moment it hit the store. And back then, from what was said, it was very clear that they didn't had the game completed. They said that it was a build people could play, and with the "new at the time" Early Access service, they could use that to upgrade and finish the rest of the game over time.

That said, the game came as an Early Access title, it was, without them saying anything, not a complete product from the get go. Early Access isn"t a mistake, just that consumers are fools who don't research their purchases or read the store page, and then lash about to point fingers due to buyer's remorse for not reading and just clicking the buy button.
>>
Every time I think of Starbound I get launch PTSD, get reminded of all those screencaps from the general of the fucking awful dev team and I just reinstall and play another 50 hours of Terraria.
>>
>>344348153
People get funny ideas about what was "promised" and what was something they were exploring. Stuff like racial abilities or having them tied to armour is something they thought about but decided against but there's some people obsessed with it. Autists desperate to get CLANKED no doubt.
>>
How to play the unstable version?
>>
>>344348210

Are you serious?

Is it so hard for you to believe that Starbound put such a bad taste in someone's mouth that they'd never want to play it again?

Because I'm that kind of person. The first iteration of the game was so bad, the word Starbound has a negative connotation now, and even if it gets update to be the best game every, most people are still going to have a sour taste in their mouth about it, you pretentious fuck.
>>
File: 1467722861015.jpg (80 KB, 422x437) Image search: [Google]
1467722861015.jpg
80 KB, 422x437
>porn mods died off
>we'll never sexbound
>>
>>344348582
There are racial abilities now though?
I noticed my Novakid had a natural light and my hyotyl could move better in water.
>>
>>344349015
They added a very small glow beyond the default glow to Novakids for some reason but swimming better is news to me.
>>
>>344348643
It's a separate title on your Steam Library. To play the Nightly, from the Library game list, right click on the Unstable version, and go to Properties. Then, on the Beta tab, opt for it.

>>344348719
Give it time. Furries will pick it up next month.
>>
>>344309457
>No more boring planets,
So I will actually find premade shit around? I dont want to build only explore.
>>
>>344348153
http://starbounder.org/Upcoming_features
>>
File: 1398813425397.png (71 KB, 554x436) Image search: [Google]
1398813425397.png
71 KB, 554x436
>>344348210
nigger, they promised it would be finished in 2013, I didn't touch the fucking game after they gave that damn disappointment

I know that games normally get developed after release, but the point is it was SUPPOSED to have already been at a certain point years ago, which it only fucking reached just now

I don't get how this is so hard for you to understand
>>
>>344349313
All of these are in though?
>>
>>344347745
you're in for a good time then
>>
>>344309026
Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, shame on you.
I'm not falling for this a third time, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 1467957684025.png (2 MB, 876x1021) Image search: [Google]
1467957684025.png
2 MB, 876x1021
>>344348659
>Bad taste in my mouth
>Video game

Unless it came out of the screen and raped you this is just you arguing over bullshit and feelings that has absolutely no meaning.

Once again, Terraria actively shows you that a game can go from being barebones 2d minecraft to something actually good. I didn't put down Terraria after the leak when it was nocontent because A. I'm don't have a vagina like you, and B. I'm not retarded and buy into hype and subsequently get a "bad taste in my mouth" (????)

>>344349339
>SUPPOSED to
Closest thing to an argument i've seen. And still it's bullshit. You're holding a grudge against someone who you've already given your money to. It seems like you're just trying to continuously hate the game to gain some kind of /v/ cred.
>>
>>344349552

The thing is, I have over 500 hours in Terraria, preordered it and have played it on every content update. The big thing is, is that Terraria was fun and somewhat original. Starbound had absolutely no hook, it was just a randomly generated soulless piece of garbage that was inferior to Terraria in every single way.
>>
>>344315803
The weapons and armours not tiering up from each other is really annoying in a way. While I like that there's a ton of variety, I felt like when I found a weapon I liked I was killing another boss and getting a new weapon with a new playstyle too quickly for me to enjoy the weapon I liked.
>>
File: 1400961238458.jpg (17 KB, 236x213) Image search: [Google]
1400961238458.jpg
17 KB, 236x213
>>344349552
I put the money into the game when they were making that promise to everyone
I just wanted them to keep to that word and have the features ready when they should have been

I gave it a chance and I couldn't take it
>>
>>344313838
>It's such a fucking shame. I look at all the cool shit, importing music files, easy modding, a pretty good lighting engine, all those water physics, easy background walls, but it shits the bed on a basic mechanical level when it comes to making an actually good fucking game.
my thoughts exactly
>>
File: 1465966784875.jpg (151 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1465966784875.jpg
151 KB, 612x380
>>344349847
>Terraria was fun and somewhat original

It was, and is, a metroidvania. Fun, absolutely, original? Bullshit. Even the sprites were ripped, thanks to Tiy. Starbound is doing the same thing, what it lacks most is meaningful generated things like Terraria, and decent enemies to fight (One of Terraria's biggest strengths). There is little reason to do anything other than run along the surface and pick up a weapon to go kill a boss.

>>344350194
>I gave it a chance.

Honestly the only thing i've taken away from your constant, meaningless rebuttals is that you are overly dramatic and probably a flaming homosexual.
>>
File: 1399093214280.png (23 KB, 170x142) Image search: [Google]
1399093214280.png
23 KB, 170x142
>>344350581
Well that should have been obvious from the beginning
>>
File: 1436041204256.png (908 KB, 3248x848) Image search: [Google]
1436041204256.png
908 KB, 3248x848
>>
>>344351065
>Dat Dryad Portrait
T H I C C
H
I
C
C
>>
File: 1435914189010.png (696 KB, 3888x1264) Image search: [Google]
1435914189010.png
696 KB, 3888x1264
>>344351065
>>
File: 1438730038724.png (1 MB, 1769x2459) Image search: [Google]
1438730038724.png
1 MB, 1769x2459
>>344351498
>>
File: 1436030202699.jpg (825 KB, 1421x941) Image search: [Google]
1436030202699.jpg
825 KB, 1421x941
>>344351714
>>
File: Starbound_mob.jpg (71 KB, 384x262) Image search: [Google]
Starbound_mob.jpg
71 KB, 384x262
Played Starbound some time ago, game was boring beyond help.

Pokemon reject designs look awful and all fight in 3 different ways, just reskinned shit. Planets are just recolored dirt over and over and not interesting.

Combat animations had like 2 frames and managed to look and play worse than Terraria's. Then I heard the hacks making this turd were copying other game's combat, those guys are absolute con men.
Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.