[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /v/, time to confess. Do you ever savescum? Just to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14
File: xtvlx3M.png (44 KB, 1024x502) Image search: [Google]
xtvlx3M.png
44 KB, 1024x502
Alright /v/, time to confess. Do you ever savescum?

Just to avoid misunderstanding, excessive saving in itself is not savescumming, you have to exploit it in a way that was not intended.
Examples include:
>saving mid-combat
>reloading until the gods of RNG smile on you instead of trying out different strategies
>reloading if you are not satisfied with the consequence of a choice
>reloading to save on consumables such as lockpicks
And so on.
>>
>>344280420
I´ve done so, but not excessively nor regularly.
>>
I discovered savescumming during the Nyx Avatar fight

I was incredibly pumped and I liked it too fucking much to die, so I started saving knowing that if I'll have to repeat the whole fight I'll start to get bored

Fortunately I didn't have to load any saves so I don't think it counts

Also I always savescum Fire Emblem arenas until all my characters are maxed
>>
>>344280420
Only in Gothic with those bullshit 8+ sequence locks that you need to memorize.
>>
I save scum when a character I like dies in Fire Emblem or xcom or when real bullshit happen in the latter. I actually used to save scum a lot on xcom (to change tactics when they dont go as planned and so on) that I forced myself toplay ironman mode until i stopped rage quiting

Reloading until you get a good RNG is pretty gay tho.
>>
>>344280420
just did it for the russian roulette in LISA haha. mental.
>>
>>344280420
>be me
>play mordeheim
>sight enemy
>mage can cast buff, dmd starts his turn right after the mage
>cast spell buff message comes up
>tzeentch's wrath: 9999 damage to self

It was the fucking 1st turn of the second day
>>
>Game doesn't have a level warp screen
>Really sweet level in the middle of the game with fun mechanics
>tfw remembered to save to a new slot just before said level
>>
>>344280420
Yes.
>>
>>344280420
>you have to exploit it in a way that was not intended.
>saving mid-combat
If it's even possible, how is it not intended?

That said, I sometimes do
Just to check the other options if it's ambiguous or really dumb.
>>
>>344280420
>saving mid-combat
yes if combat is hard to do it couple times

>reloading until the gods of RNG smile on you instead of trying out different strategies
no

never

only in critical situations
>>
File: 61248_front.jpg (45 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
61248_front.jpg
45 KB, 500x319
>>344280420
>>
>>344280420
If there's some bullshit like relationship levels in a jrpg I definitely do it. Fuck playing multiple times to find out what the girl I wanna fug likes.

Another series I do that on is pic related, in parts where the answer is something I can't comprehend only.
>>
>>344280420
Playing Bethesda's garbage Fallouts, save scamming was pretty much mandatory before doing one of their dice roll speech checks.

>changing character's entire worldview based on a diceroll

I don't think I savescummed once in NV.
>>
>>344280704
Yeah, I'd agree that doesn't count. You would have savescummed had it come to that, but you had the means to win legitimately so even then it would have been a milder form of savescumming.

>>344281072
That fucking chest in the thieves guild with the sequence of 20. To be fair, it had really good loot.

In Gothic I also sometimes savescum fights, mainly against full plate armored skeletons. But it's only because it makes for good practice, by the time you finish them off you will master countering two-handers. I always have a bunch of "I win" scrolls with me anyway, so it's not as if I couldn't have won without the savescumming.
>>
File: Phoenix_Wright_Ace_Attorney_Logo.png (609 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix_Wright_Ace_Attorney_Logo.png
609 KB, 1920x1080
>>344281930
Thanks 4chins for being a fucking shit and not uploading the pic.
>>
>>344278864
>save
>attempt pickpocketing
>fail
>quickload
>repeat until success
>>
File: 2016-02-16_00001.jpg (489 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-16_00001.jpg
489 KB, 1920x1080
yeah about here is where i save the game
>>
>>344280420
There's no worse thing as frustration.
>>
>>344280420
if the game lets me savescum i will do it
>>
>>344280420
>reloading until the gods of RNG smile on you
I don't play shit games
>>
>>344280420
Yes
I will savescum to see if I can kill friendly npcs or die to the environment
>>
I'm probably the savescummest of all time
>In Persona, pick an option in a SL that I think it's the appropiate, it's not
reload
>Games like Skyrim, have 10 lockpicks, lose 3
reload
>N64 platformers that I play for the nostalgia, fall down a cliff at the end of something difficult
reload
>save before the boss, or after the first couple turns
reload til he does something that benefits me
>in games like Metroid, save after hitting a boss, everytime, if it hits me back because I fuck up
reload

Come and stop me faggot.
>>
>>344282206
You know, a lot of good games have rng. For example Heroes of Might and Magic III, to name one.
>>
In MGS and Max Payne games I would often save before each room and run through it several times until I could get through without being detected or hurt.

>tfw you clear an entire room with one well placed grenade
>>
I quickload if I get spotted in stealth games.
>>
>>344280420

Earlier today I savescummed the last part of the last mission of warcraft 3 on hard, don't judge me that shit was bullshit, how can you expect me to play without repeated saving on a 45 minute survival mission?
>>
>>344282353
Fuck, reminded me that I was save cumming to do Deus Ex in a non lethal run just to find like 70% in the game that the prologue counts too.

I was really mad but I would have been worse if I actually did the entire game and get no achievement in return.
>>
>>344282339
Dice rolls are the cancer that is killing gaming. They're a relic from the times when copying tabletop constituted for adding gameplay and have no place in modern day vidya.
>>
>>344282565
>he doesn't just abuse mines to win then go watch a movie for the remaining 30 minutes
>>
>>344280420

only in the infinity engine games because it's practically a necessity, especially for 1st playthroughs.
>>
>>344282513
Currently doing this in MGS3 for stealth camo. Sucks I have to stare at fucking logos everytime I quit when I get spotted.
>>
File: Grand_Kingdom_cover.jpg (61 KB, 385x482) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Kingdom_cover.jpg
61 KB, 385x482
I can only save progress if I complete a mission? Instantly exit the main menu to start autosave.
>>
All the time.
>>
File: haisys.jpg (15 KB, 293x208) Image search: [Google]
haisys.jpg
15 KB, 293x208
>>344283228
Back in my day we restarted the whole game over when we fucked up
>>
When I was a kid I think I savescummed every game I could.

Nowadays I try to avoid it just because I like challenging myself. I'll only do it if it pulls some bullshit like "die once on the final boss and start the whole game over even when the rest of the game wasn't that way" or something. Or I'm just so sick of the game that I stop giving a fuck but still wanna see the ending or some shit.

If it's one of those games where you basically have to save scum to not get fucked into a dead end I just stop right then and there. Not a big deal these days but a lot of 90's adventure/FPS games did that shit.
>>
I do it pretty much every time I feel cheated by RNG, so a lot.
>>
Only in Digimon World because the game is designed so poorly
>>
>>344280420
I generally do if there's severe risk of AI related bullshit on the horizon.

Total war battles where the enemy is clearly cheating, or the path finding decides to make your troops move 5 metres forward via Tibet come to mind.
>>
I savescum when it's an option. I quicksave every minute in shooters, I reroll RNGs in RPGs, and if I could I'd do the same for most games I play, even the online ones. I'm afraid of failure, but I also don't like getting fucked over by random chance.
>>
>>344284027
For what it's worth I fucking hate RNG too. Even if I like challenging myself, RNG is something I tolerate more than like. It's not a big deal if it's not the difference between winning and losing most of the time, but sadly it kind of is in a lot of games. Especially anything with RPG elements.

RNG in versus multiplayer is distilled, liquefied AIDS.
>>
>>344280420
I reset in Fire Emblem whenever someone I like dies if that counts, but in telltale games and the like if I make a choice with consequences I don't like I just deal with it otherwise what's the point
>>
>>344280420
> Examples include:
> >saving mid-combat
Yes
> >reloading until the gods of RNG smile on you instead of trying out different strategies
No
> >reloading if you are not satisfied with the consequence of a choice
Depends on which game, I may want to see more choices just for fun, but mostly not because of consequences
> >reloading to save on consumables such as lockpicks
Nope, I don't even reload when RPG games steal my equipment because party switches
>>
>>344280420
I savescummed while fighting NME in ROTT (DOS version) a few years back. I at least have the decency to feel lame about it.

Savescumming is NOT okay.
>>
>>344280420
Once I savescumed like a motherfucker on BoF2 during the fight against that twin headed wolf, I had no skills with any characters so the strategy consisted of pressing a until I could attack and healing, the problem was that mid fight the boss used an attack that killed my partner in one shot so I was alone against a boss that could attack twice and died in one turn, until he decided to attack me who could tank the damage
>>
File: image.jpg (477 KB, 2000x2311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
477 KB, 2000x2311
Me? Hehe...

I don't even save
>>
>saving mid-combat
Nah, unless I'm explicitly abusing the game and/or sequence breaking, but I usually don't
Only if the gods of RNG decide that an enemy with 2% to hit me, crits for half my health and cripples my arm, disarming me, then no.
Only if it's my first time playing and the choice was not explicit. Like, "choose to help beggar" "beggar is actually a trained legionare, and signals 20 more men to ambush you!"
Only if I'm exploiting, which is not often

Who cares though? If someone gets their jollies by abusing the game's save system, why would anyone else care?
>>
>>344287029
What of the game crashes?
That would be a pretty big loss
>>
>>344282320
Wow, I'm actually impressed by your savescumming.
>>
>>344287274
>Who cares though?
I'd wager almost everyone's guilty to some level, so it's more like curiosity how others do it.
>>
File: 1449496227718.jpg (5 KB, 242x250) Image search: [Google]
1449496227718.jpg
5 KB, 242x250
>>344287562
Crashing this game...WITH NO SAVES
>>
I'll only savescum for old and difficult games. Ghouls and Goblins, Silver Surfer (NES)
>>
I savescummed in my first Stalker playthrough, heavily at the end where you fight the monolith elite troopers. Saved after every kill and reloaded if I made a bad trade. At least it was on the hardest difficulty.
>>
>>344281654

Well, for example, the first KOTOR game had an issue where you would always go first after loading a game mid-combat. So you could quick save after each combat round then re-load, and effectively take infinite turns.
>>
>>344280420
>Do you ever savescum?
Yes. Mostly in games like FE or XCOM where I have one favorite character I really don't want to lose
>>
File: .jpg (126 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
126 KB, 1280x960
there's only one time i save scummed

>spam steal
>garnet spams float
>eiko spams cures
>run out of mp
>soft reset and load
>>
>>344281654
>If it's even possible, how is it not intended?
In Gothic 1 if you load a save every enemy has to be aggro'd again, even if they were swinging a weapon at you when you saved. This was probably done to avoid situations where you don't notice some motherfucker sneaking up on you from behind, and accidentally save yourself into an unwinnable fuck up. But this means if you manage to get a save a split second before the enemy would hit you, upon reload you will get about 2 seconds to attack it before it realizes you are there. And that 2 seconds makes all the difference in that game.
>>
File: Clipboard02.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02.jpg
196 KB, 1920x1080
>>344280420
I had to savescum through this shit encouter
it has lie ~13 phases and your party consists of yourself and 3 AI-controlled members, there's always bound to be something that fucks you over

Apparently I was also underleveled for this encounter even though I didn't skip any fights, so I said "fuck it" and savescummed myself through it
>>
>>344288737
The worst part is the flute isnt even worth it because you get an upgrade 10 minutes later
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg (57 KB, 339x470) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
57 KB, 339x470
This game is even designed with savescum in mind.
>>
Pokemon rom hacks. Like fuck im going to restart a fight because i got critted while setting up
>>
>>344290446
its designed with getting good in mind, shitter
>>
File: RPJE7U-49.png (3 MB, 1920x1032) Image search: [Google]
RPJE7U-49.png
3 MB, 1920x1032
>Run through a dungeon filled with cutscenes, encounters and puzzles
>takes something between 30-40 minutes

>enter a room
>bossfight out of nowhere
>no save-point since the beginning of the dungeon
>boss can kill you on the first turn if you're not prepared

Made a save at the start of the fight, then savescummed the shit out of it and didn't even feel bad about it
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.