[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning how to code for video games worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 150684568445067.png (376 KB, 570x573) Image search: [Google]
150684568445067.png
376 KB, 570x573
Is learning how to code for video games worth it?
>>
learning to code is a waste of time in general. I have 14 coders working like slaves under my managment right now and I studied finance lol
>>
>>344266391
Just imagine, you could be making your dream game RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>344266512
How the heck can you manage a coding project without knowing anything about it.
>>
>>344266770
That is a common question regarding managers in general
>>
>>344266770
sadly, it happens a lot
>>
>>344266770
Business like anything else.
>>
just torrent RPG maker and make some garbage
>>
>>344266770
Isn't that a bad thing though since you can't understand what they're telling you. Also from personal experience from my job it's bad if your boss doesn't know anything about what his does. A lot of my managers have been fired for making stupid decisions when they didn't know anything about what his employees needed to have done but the boss wouldn't listen to them.
>>
>>344266391
If you love coding then I'd say it's worth it but it is a bit hard to make your dream game a reality but to me even if I can't make my dream game, I still want to be a part of the game industry because I really love technology as well as finding new ways to make good mechanics for games.
>>
>>344266391
I mean it's fun to play your games with friends
>>
Griffith did everything wrong
>>
>>344266391

No, because you need like a million people to make a decent video game these days, yet you can be part of the process and make mad cash without knowing how to do much anything at all, so I suggest learning how to become a suave people-person instead.
>>
For a job? Coding for a video game as part of a large team is similar to coding for anything else outside of gaming. Your work is so abstract and module based you don't ever really understand what it's going to be used for. You're given inputs and told to manipulate them in a certain way matching certain non-functionals to a desired output. Being someone who plays games isn't even a desired attribute for a programmer, it just doesn't matter.

For an independent developer? Unless you're a very talented and experienced programmer you're going to be learning to use engines and how supported languages work around them and not code in isolation.
rpg maker is your best bet.
>>
>>344270445
No you don't, have you seen the No Man's Sky development team?
>>
>>344270784

How the fuck do you know that that's going to be a good game?
>>
>>344270830
You said decent

Making a playable videogame is easier than ever before
>>
>>344271475
>>344270784

>4 years of development
>a group of experienced, passionate professionals working on it
>financial support from fucking sony
>to produce an FPS that looks like ass
>i-it's playable

If those are your standards for "decent", I feel sorry for you, you poor bastard
>>
>>344271475

I didn't say shit, but my point still stands. You can't use a game that no one has played as an example of a decent or good game.
>>
I had a friend with years of experience in coding.
The money was really good but apparently most of the projects take forever to finish. Even years.
Last time I saw him he was forming a group to code his own games.
>>
>>344270445
Undertale was made by like one guy and he didn't even know how to really code, just used some pre-built shit. If you want to make a game nowadays it's easier than ever to just make it alone and even distribute it on a platform like Steam.
>>
>>344272619
>If you want to make a game nowadays it's easier than ever to just make it alone

Why do you keep regurgitating this? Yeah, it's easier than ever to make and publish some visual novel-tier indie garbage, maybe even make money with it, NOBODY EVER CLAIMED OTHERWISE.

I'm talking about making an actual DECENT goddamn VIDEO GAME that looks like it was made in the twenty-first century, is up to the quality standards the majority of the world expects from a title made today, and doesn't have grade schoolers laugh you out of the classroom if you were to go present it to them. Actually producing an ambitious and good-looking game has never been more complex and demanding, technologically.
>>
Depends on how serious you want to be about it and whether you relly like it. If you learn a little programming, you can make some small games in unity and it can also help you get a well paying job in some company doing code monkey work so in that sense it can be worth.

There is however a big difference between people who know some programming and skilled programmers. Getting a job programming AAA titles or making really good games as indie dev takes a lot of skill which you can only gain through lots of work and dedication, which you can only do if you actually like programming and are passionate about it. Or you can become a trans, lesbian woman of color and get a job at gearbox for sjw brownie points.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.