[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This shit got broken after 3 years, my PS2 is 14 years old and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: ps3 superslim.jpg (13 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
ps3 superslim.jpg
13 KB, 600x395
This shit got broken after 3 years, my PS2 is 14 years old and can still go, why does this new stuff only last so short and give me one reason why I should buy another console, let alone another Playstation, ever again.
>>
>>344255442
Not to be faggot shill, but the PS4 actually lasts long. I don't know anyone who has one that has broken yet. Mine is an early version.
>>
File: DRE.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
DRE.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>344255442
i know right? i miss the days when consoles were built to last, fuck man i wish i could go back
>>
go to bed sam
>>
>>344258174
Buy me a new PS3, Oscar.
>>
>take it apart
>place non-plastic parts in the oven
>???
>profit

There's more precise instructions for that but I fixed my PS3 like that 5 years ago and it still works.
>>
>>344255945
I still have my launch fat and it hasn't done that yet but I'm counting the days
>>
>>344255640
That's a ps3
>>
>>344255442
you fell for the super slim meme

The most cheap design ever released by any company

Noisy and cheap plastic used
>>
>>344258741
It wasn't really noisy, it did a good job until recently. At first the controller didn't sync anymore, I could still turn the PS3 on with it but after that it stopped connecting. Then I plugged the console out and back in and that's where it got broken. I won't even bother trying to fix it because if I can still get it on the controller issue will still be there.
>>
>>344258941
Not noisy?
:(
C'mon, it's fucking noisy
>>
>>344259208
I didn't have another PS3 to compare it to, but it actually felt quieter than my PS2.
>>
>>344255442

You have to realize that a PS3 is much more complicated piece of technology than a PS2 and more things can go wrong with it. That's why NES and SNES are still working and consoles with more moving parts like PS1 and PS2 will be hard to come across in working condition in 20 years.
>>
The old shit has lead based solder and the new shit has learned to live without it.
The highest failure rates are observed in earlier model xbox360s and ps3s.
The xbox360 for instance is designed to run normally at ~80'C, they won't let you see the temps but you can manipulate the console to tell you itself without resorting to external tools.
Same could be said of the ps3 really but thats closer to the 70' mark.
That said the super slim is worthless, no downgrade support and frankly a piece of shit.
>>
>>344255442
>PS2 is 14 years old and can still go

I call bullshit.

see

>>344255945
>>
>>344260639
But it does. I had one of the big ones that get constantly cooled with air, maybe that's why it can still go.
>>
>>344260083
The actual issue with the PS3 is the use of poor quality solder thanks to retarded regulations, cheap thermal paste that can't realistically be replaced at home, and meh ventilation. If you run your PS3 at over X temperature for X amount of time, you'll melt the solder under the GPU and it'll be fucked. The only actual fix is an expensive reball job with proper solder, and replacing the thermal paste under the metal heat spreader every 5 years or so.

These things were built to fail, I own a slim but I don't have high hopes of it lasting for the next 20 years, even with mild use.
>>
File: I am disappoint.png (104 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
I am disappoint.png
104 KB, 318x308
>>344255442
Sony consoles are made to break so people who are invested into the brand and who've bought a lotta games will buy a second one. I've gone through 4 ps1's. I've also gone through 2 PS2's, and my friends have all gone through 3 or 4. We all take care of our consoles, they're well vented, and they've never been dropped or roughed up (which are the usual fanboy damage controls)

You just got lucky. I will never buy another Sony console again. They leeched enough money from me.
>>
>>344255442
that gen had a high rate of failure but now its pretty cheap to replace one or repair one.
>>
>>344261490
What's funny is that I actually planned on buying a PS4 in a few months. They should have just made it last half a year longer and they wouldn't have lost a life-time costumor and over a hundred dollars a year in game sells.
>>
>>344261490
A PS1 is 10 bucks, and I've never had one die on me. A PS2 is 20, and while my launch unit did give up eventually, my second fat model is still going strong. Still haven't lost a PS3, but then there's barely anything to play on the thing so it's not in much danger.

I'll pick up a PS4 at the end of the gen, and keep it clean inside. Buying a launch console is absolute madness in this day and age.
>>
>>344262590
>but then there's barely anything to play on the thing

I actually liked PS3 games more than the PS2 games and there were still some on my list.
>>
>>344262786
>>I actually liked PS3 games more than the PS2 games
Then you're a gibbering retard. While the PS2 had maybe 20 masterpieces and 50 9/10s, the PS3 has a single 9/10 and a bunch of games you just play for weeb novelty.
>>
>>344262928
Sorry for not being blinded by nostalgia. I literally grew up with the PS2 and played the PS3 for three years and still like the games of PS3 generation more.
>>
>>344262928
>"nuh uh, you're wrong"

iterate, globbering retard knob
>>
>>344255442

>buying the superslim

top kek, should have got a slim
>>
>>344255442
>bought a used slim 6 years ago
still goin strong
>>
>>344261470
Is there any way of modifying your PS3 so that its more likely to last?
>>
>>344264976
As I said, the reball. Leaded solder won't melt when you PS3 gets above 90, the system will auto-shut off before damage occurs. Decent quality thermal paste under and on top of the metal chip should keep for a decade or two, but long term tests of these compounds hasn't happened yet.
>>
>>344258941
Open up and check capacitors.
>>
>>344265150
What about increased ventilation?
Or possibly even liquid coolant?
>>
>>344261591
desu the Wii was the only one who didn't have heat related problems.
Quite a feat, considering how small the console is.
>>
>>344265329
Memes and memes. The issue isn't in airflow, it's that the paste on the chip is poor quality and we're now 5-10 years after launch, so it's completely dried out and dogshit for heat transfer. All the fans and liquid in the world won't save you if you're pulling that heat off of a metal plate that can't absorb heat fast enough off the GPU to stop it melting.

You can crank the fans to 100% permanently with CFW anyway.
>>
>>344263024
Different anon here.
I bought a PS3 as the last 7th gen console, and a PS2 after it as my last 6th gen console. I can honestly say I enjoyed the latter much more with the PS2.
>>
>>344260639
My ps2 is 16 with same memory cards and still works. Magic i guess
>>
> tfw my Ps1 that was litterally made in 1995 still works flawlessly
> Ps2 slim also works perfectly
> as does PSP, PS3 slim, and vita

I've never understood people who say Sony consoles break, I've only ever had good experiences.
>>
>>344265793
My 360 from launch still works fine, and I've never cleaned it.

That doesn't mean it isn't an unreliable turd of a console, anecdotal evidence is meaningless.
>>
I have the 40GB version from august 2008 and it's still work flawlessly.
>>
File: Untitled_0.png (37 KB, 108x143) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_0.png
37 KB, 108x143
I have a slim ps2 i bought years ago at walmart that I have barely used and a fat i bought off craigslist from this couple who used it for dvds a couple times. It looked brand fucking new. I installed a hard drive to keep it going longer. I play a couple games a year on it. The slim is for ps2 games r hat aren't compatible with opl or hdl. Fucking samurai legend musashi. It and Klonoa 2. I keep them both pretty clean. Am i doing a good job for longevity sake?
>>
>>344266112
I don't mean to bug anyone with it, but I'm actually really curious.
>>
>>344265526
True but Nintendo destroyed a fuckton of Wii disc reader by releasing a broken firmware (4.2)
>>
>>344261490
t. nintendrone
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.