[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does a fangame using the DOOM ENGINE of all things end being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: sonicroboblast2.png (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
sonicroboblast2.png
9 KB, 320x200
How does a fangame using the DOOM ENGINE of all things end being better than most of the 3D games???
>>
>>344239938
>most
>>
2.2 never
>>
Didn't the madmen actually add slopes to the engine? That's nuts.
>>
>>344241426

They did, but they won't be incorporated in the main levels until the next version.
>>
What is this, OP? Is it something good or just memeposting like always
>>
>>344241426
Didn't Doom always have the ability for slopes, but it ended up going unused?
>>
>>344241740

Sonic Robo Blast 2, a fangame that uses the Doom engine. It's a pretty good fangame and has better physics than most of the 3d games
>>
File: 1464992154293.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1464992154293.gif
2 MB, 400x400
This was fun as fuck, grabbin it
>>
File: 1466223630893.gif (2 MB, 216x150) Image search: [Google]
1466223630893.gif
2 MB, 216x150
Look, I know the SRB2 has a passionate community, but lets be real. It's still a pretty mediocre attempt at Sonic style 3D platforming. I think all of the 3D attempts at Sonic gameplay vary from "bad to okay." I've yet to see anything I'd consider a "spectacular" attempt in Sonics 25 year history, be it fan or official.

Yeah, yeah. I've seen the gameplay of people bulldozing gorgeously through SRB2. The fan base for it knows the gameplay mechanic to a science, and probably the levels just as well. So do Sonic 06 speedrunners.
>>
>>344242462
If it isn't the guy with impossibly high standards. Why are you even here? You wouldn't be satisfied with anything.
>>
This controls awful holy shit
Am I supposed to play this with a controller or something
>>
>>344243283
You're supposed to get good

But actually WASD should work well. Analog control with a controller is supported but is pretty bad.
>>
>>344243593
>Get good
How am I supposed to do that when I travel across the map after holding the w key down for like half a second
>>
Cool, more nostalgia autism in sonic! Just what the series need!
>>
>>344242007
Slopes weren't added until source ports of the game were made, like ZDoom.
>>
SRB2 is shit, it's no surprise that OP is the only person defending it in his own thread.
Unless you consider the pitiful "spindash", the game lacks any sort of rolling physics that would make it similar to a 2d sonic game, which is obvious considering its running on the fucking Doom engine. No slopes, no loops, nothing. So what's it got to offer, level design? Yeah, the water zone was so much fun to play.
>>
>>344245762
>i hated this one zone
>therefore the whole game is bad
also
>loops are an integral part of the sonic experience
lol
>>
>>344245762

>implying any water level is fun
>>
>>344246079
hydrocity
water palace
coral cave
seaside hill modern/classic
jungle joyride (if it counts)
angel island (if it counts)

The sonic series doesnt have as many water levels as i remember
>>
>>344246068
Are you gonna make a case for your game or rebutt anything I've said or are you gonna keep using meme arrows to avoid replying?
>loops are an integral part of the sonic experience
Yeah, yeah they are, that might be why every single sonic game, 2d and 3d, features loops. In a 2d game, they're an obstacle surpassed by conserving speed, and they encapsulate the game's physics.
>>
>>344246849
To be fair the loops in 3D games are hold forward interactive cutscenes

That said I totally agree that srb2 doesn't play like Sonic, but it's still pretty fun.
>>
>>344247163
And loops in the 2d games are hold right interactive cutscenes, big difference
>>
>>344247240
Yeah no, if you don't have enough speed while going through a loop, you dont get past it, because you either don't get up on it or you fall off. It's not like Generations where it literally locks you into a set speed while going through one.
>>
>>344247240
Well like you said in the 2D games you need to conserve momentum to get through them and there is legitimate physics involved with the loops e.g. jumping in the corners can give you extra momentum. in Sonic Adventure 2 you will literally be pushed through a loop once you get to it no matter how slow you're moving, and jumping does nothing.
>>
>>344247758
>>344247765
>go back a little
>press down and a
>sudden plow through it like its nothing

wow, epic difficult speed benchmark you got there kids. the loop has always been about style and showing how fast sonic can go. The only time it was ever about speed shit was sonic 1 and that game sucks my anus anyways. You physics autists seriously overrate its use in the games
>>
>>344239938
>some sperg things he can make a Sonic better than the real Sonic 2

I'm so fucking tired of these autistic kids thinking they can out-do real video games with their shitty mods and fan games. Literally stealing a name to boost their fame so they can milk their """fans""" later through some fakey knock-off game kickstarter. Fucking disgusting, fan games should be illegal.
>>
>>344248013
No dude, you're the one who was criticizing the game for not having loops
>>
>>344248297
(You)
>>
>>344248297

wew lad
>>
>>344248348
For clarity that guy is not me, I am the one who posted >>344246849
>>
>>344248348
Theyre not necessary for this game. They are interactive cutscenes in the 2d games and just cutscenes in the 3d games. Theyre still more exciting in 3d though anyday of the week. Those loops in shamar day in unleashed where the game ramps the speed up or the corkscrew in modern green hill are way more fun to play than slowly walking back, pressing down and a, and then just having enough to go through it before coming deadstop to a wall or enemy
>>
File: Knuckles_with_Cream_1.png (234 KB, 768x626) Image search: [Google]
Knuckles_with_Cream_1.png
234 KB, 768x626
Besides OP game, what are the best Sonic fan games?

Fan games, no hacks
>>
>>344242462
I have good memory's of all the diffrent online modes. Playing capture the flag, or even a fps mode, and online story mode with up to 32 players. It was revolutionary for pc gaming in general, not just sonic fan games.
>>
>>344249098
This isnt related to online or fan games but man...multiplayer in sonic has always been great. I remember playing adventure 2, heroes, and advance multiplayer (with the gameboy link cable) with my brother and sister so much. those were the fucking days. I wish a 3D boost game had multiplayer
>>
>>344248713
Sonic axiom
Sonic BTS
Sonic ATS
Sonic chrono adventure
Sonic Edge of Darkness
Sonic time twisted
Sonic Classic
Decent boost shit
Sonic vs Darkness 2.0
Sonic FGX
>>
Give me some good rom hacks to stuff on my 3DS
>>
>>344248713
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lacktardo/videos
Most fan games this guy played are good.
>>
>>344249646
Also to add some of the unfinished overambitious from >>344250430 page which I was about to post by the way are really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-PSwLiZZDo is one of my favorites. Pay attention to the bubble shield as he runs across various surfaces.
>>
File: 1464324021406.jpg (254 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464324021406.jpg
254 KB, 1280x1080
>>344250647
>play video
>instantly greeted by OC donut steel
>>
>>344248713
That upcoming Green Hill Paradise looks pretty alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woL8_OxLKAY
>>
>>344249646
I remember sonic unity looked like the coolest shit ever but the guy who made all of those fangames never finished anything
>>
>>344250798
its sonic fanagmes you gotta take the good with the faggotry
>>
>>344251079
Holy shit i don't understand what the hell it's happening there it looks great.

The engine seems to work really well here thanks to the really open levels.

Needs enemies though.
>>
>>344249607
>I wish a 3D boost game had multiplayer
Colors had some multiplayer in the Game Land.
>>
>>344252993
I dont want colors or its "style" of multiplayer. I want to race on unleashed levels. Frankly sa2 moved faster in 3D than colors and advance 2 beat it in 2D, as well as being one of the fastest games in the series. colors is overrated junk, praised only because it has no alternate gameplay and is only 4 hours long so it doesnt trigger anyone who hates long sonic games.
>>
File: S-LoopFrenzy.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
S-LoopFrenzy.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>344252226
The lead developer will drop by in sanic threads from time to time with new webms, so I know a little bit about what this project is. My favorite aspect is what he does with his new Mach State mechanic. It works pretty much how it does in Sonic Advance 2/3 where you have to build up enough speed to break the sound barrier and then you have to hold onto that speed without running into anything. He took that and then gave it to 3D Sonic where the actual Mach State gives you the same benefits that the Boost usually does, except now those benefits have to be earned through using the terrain effectively rather than through the player's ability to hold down the X button.

That's how he described it, anyway. It remains to be seen if the level designs will actually mesh with his good mechanics.

>Needs enemies
There are a few in that trailer. Some Choppers, some Motobugs, etc. He'd probably just keeping a lot of the enemy placements a secret, or something.

>>344252993
Yes, and? You're not actually implying that Colors is a 3D Sonic game, are you?
>>
>>344239938
>How does a fangame using the DOOM ENGINE of all things end being better than most of the 3D games???

It's fucking not it's garbage.
>>
>>344249607
>>344252993
>>344253132
try sanicball
>>
>>344253215
It would be cool if the enemies where related to the chaos emeralds or something like that so there can't be a lot of them.
>>
>>344253215
There's that game again. green hill paradise, right? Does it still lag on toasters? Last time I checked it long ago my i5 almost fried itself
>>
File: Screenshot24602.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot24602.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>344253215
It's still a boost game. I know one of the major complaints is the mostly 2D, blocky level design, but even Generations suffered from that at times.

I honestly think Colors doesn't get enough credit. It was the first Sonic game in a while that wasn't bloated with a ton of bullshit. The story was pretty minimal for modern Sonic standards. You just picked a level and jumped right in. The music was great, all the worlds were interesting. I thought it was a decent, well-rounded package. Even Generations has its shit moments.

I know a lot of people think this makes the game "souless" in some ways, but there's gotta be a middle ground. Unleashed had a beautiful, comfy hub world, but there was no fucking point to it. It was all padding and loading screens.
>>
>>344254027
The point of unleashed was travelling the world and seeing new sights and making memories with chip, showing that time will run out so you should enjoy it while you can. The hubs have medals and npc missions that offer tons of post game content and some of the substories are very cute and well done. After clearing the game, you never have to use them again and can just use the level select screen thats just neatly right under the GO TO HUB option when picking a level. The story is minimal yet way better in unleashed because theres quality cutscenes, the stakes are higher, the voice acting is better, and its not a gay saturday morning cartoon which autists think is perfect. theres buildup, theres slow points, theres climaxes, theres finales, and theres the ending which wraps everything up. This is more personal but i didnt care for the music that much neither the worlds except starlight carnival and aquarium park (and yet they picked the worst one generations, what a joke). Unleashed is a much more complete and massive game compared to colors and for that its way better to me
>>
>>344254651
I think part of Unleashed's problem, and really a flaw a lot of past Sonic games have had, is that the game is too big for its own good.

What happened with SA1/SA2? They made these huge, fast Sonic levels, and realized they didn't have the development time to make a full game with them. So they pad the game out with a bunch of bullshit.

Now obviously Unleashed is of much higher quality than pretty much every modern Sonic game, but I think the basic problem is still there. Werehog, to me, feels like an afterthought. While it's not the worst thing in the world, it bogs the game down. Especially if you're waiting for the next Sonic level, and then you beat it in less than ten minutes and have to play a Werehog level or two for thirty minutes each. I didn't mind flying on the Tornado as much, but it did get boring and stale at times.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just hoping that whatever they're doing for the next Sonic game, it's good enough to make a whole game out of.
>>
>>344255262
I dont have a problem with alternate gameplay if it means the main sonic levels are huge and very fast like unleashed or sa2. Unleashed HD in the day, those stages are by far my favorite sonic content in the series. I have spent hundreds of hours playing the main stages, side acts, and DLC stages because they are incredibly addictive and reward reflexes like no other game in the series. Unleashed also has the best graphics and music in the series to me and out of the boost games, it has the best controls to me. The moveset is very versatile and tricks like mspeed or qss let you break speed barriers. If i had spent all those hours looking up level exploits and how to skip giant chunks of the level, i honestly would believe i would be one of the best unleashed players in the world. For providing me with so much entertainment and replayability, i can easily forgive the games "flaws".

Why are they "flaws"?

Because i dont even see them as that. No werehog level has ever taken me more than 20 minutes (and that was just the first playthrough), the combat is the best in the series with lots of combos and accelerators letting you skip sections, its got its own devil trigger mode with the unleashed gauge and i love the level design and lighting and music which are again, the best in the series. I also enjoy their change of pace and its nice to have a reliable standard fully 3D platformer on the side to take a break from the high speed-always on 11 design of the day stages. While obviously not having replayed them as much, i still frequently revisit werehog base and DLC levels because of the above reasons. They are fun to speed run and normal runs on certain stages can be beaten faster than a normal run in a day stage. Exploring for all the medals and tapes/books was also a lot of fun to me. Hot dog missions, collectibles, npc hub missions...the game gave me tons of mileage and I appreciate it all.
>>
>>344255952
>>344255262
Holy shit i droned on so much i forgot to get to the rest of your post, my bad famalama. The tornado levels, there were only 2 in the game and again they were just brief sections of reflex testing. They were almost like rhythm games. Maybe if flying to every new continent had a tornado section id agree, but with one at the beginning and one at the end of the game, each being less than 5 minutes, i cant possibly see how 10 minutes of total content really dragged down your experience with the game. But if you strongly disliked them that much then i have nothing to say.

They used one style of sonic exclusively in colors. Even the mighty generations used 2 sonics even though they played largely the same, although im sure many would agree that modern sonic was the star of the game. I agree with that sentiment but found the modern stages to be really short and unsatisfying after coming off of unleashed day levels. Sonic was also way stiffer and not all stages were perfect while i loved every stage in unleashed. Lost world again used one sonic. One sonic that changed heavily at times in different levels, but still one sonic...again like colors it dragged on imo and I didnt like the controls that much in it. Still a decent game and i found it to be better than colors but nothings topping unleashed for me, barring a direct sequel with the same staff.
>>
File: cranky.gif (2 KB, 93x57) Image search: [Google]
cranky.gif
2 KB, 93x57
>>344239938
> using the DOOM ENGINE of all things
There was a time when people were happy with the Doom engine! Don't get me started...
>>
>>344250798
>>344251745
When I was a kid I was an absolute sonic fanatic, I loved everything sonic, except the whole OC scene, I never got into that because it was too retarded..
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gj069OIyM
>>
>>344257875
Ive always been a fan of sonic but i could never get into the comics, fan game, or OC stuff. Love the official sega games and all the cartoons though.
>>
>>344258762
Watching that video brought me to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2gH9mymVQ

Makes me wonder. Why did Johnny stop animating? He was pretty decent at it. Last thing I remember doing was those little segments in his FNAF reviews, but I think those were just tweens or something
>>
>>344248713
Sonic Before/After the Sequel were pretty cool. The soundtrack had no right being as good as it was.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.