[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/'s thoughts on ''remasters'' ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: goodguys.jpg (130 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
goodguys.jpg
130 KB, 2048x1152
What does /v/ think about the trend that's plaguing this gen ?

Have you ever paid 60$ for a refurbished version of your favorite game?
>>
They are the Blu Ray releases of video games. There is nothing "plague" about them. Unless they are shit like Silent Hill HD.
>>
>>344233646
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>344233786
It's true, most of them don't even cost $60. If you don't want them then don't buy them. They don't prevent new games from being released because they can be made with one man in his basement. You are complaining about nothing.
>>
>>344232840

I don't how how they get away with it. What's more is they hand a free version of the remaster to pc tards
>>
Remaster's are fine if they are old games like 2-5 gens ago, bonus points if it's an actual full remake like Wind Waker HD

If it's a game from last gen, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>344233646

Man, thats retarded.

A "Blu-ray" release of a game would be like me running an older game on more powerful hardware and rendering the game at a higher resolution than originally intended. This already happens on PC, but since consoles can't decide on an architecture to stick to and improve upon they're stuck with rereleasing shit for more than anyone wants to pay.
>>
Do remasters even cost 60 bucks? I bought the witch and the hundred knight for 40, uncharted collection for 30 and valkyria chronicles for 20.
>>
>>344234432
How is that retarded? If you already own the game then why buy it on PS4? Play it on PS2 or PS3 or whatever. I don't understand why people hate remasters so much. They are mostly for new fans that missed out on the last gen. So people who owned a 360 but no PS3 or an Xbox but no PS2. They are also very cheap and the prices drop fast. A few months later and it will already be 20 bucks for 3 games. They are honestly good deals.
>>
i dont mind a remaster if its old enough to actually warrant it in the first place.
>>
>>344232840
It isn't so bad IF they actually try and the games they're remastering need it. But shit like Tomb Raider Definitive or Bamham? No, cheap cash ins
>>
How about remaster a game that people actually want
>>
>>344234528
Witch and the Hundred Knight is basically just a port and because they knew they needed to fix the crashing problem to have a definitive version
>>
It's creatively bankrupt but hay, it seems to sell.

I did buy Twilight Princess HD day 1. Kinda hate myself for it but I fucking love TP so whatever.
>>
Gives people who didn't have previous gen consoles a chance to play the greats on the new gen

There is literally nothing wrong with them
>>
>>344234896

i meant to add on to it. If the remaster is of a game that was previously broken or something, thats fine. If the game is fairly new for the time but it's not standard price, thats fine to. if the remaster is part of a collection, whether or not its full price, it's still fine.
>>
>>344235008
>Witch and the Hundred Knight is basically just a port
But that's wrong. The whole tower of illusion was new which is another 10-15 hours of gameplay.
>>
They're fine in the sense that they can give or preserve life to things that are rare from several generations ago.

A remaster for shit you can easily go to Gamestop and get the PS3 version for because it literally came out last gen? That's just padding out the fact that dev times are long as shit, and are just gonna get longer as platforms get more powerful.
>>
>>344232840
This >>344234775

I only buy them if I don't have or haven't played the older versions.
>>
>>344235071

Why buy a PS4 over a PS3 if you're gonna take that stance? Library is far more plentiful AND cheaper, not to mention no paid online and it plays PS1 games.
>>
A laughable ploy by Sony to get PS4 owners to pay for TLOU again.
>>
>>344235406

Actually, that one happened in part because PS4 owners bitched loudly for it. Sony saw the demand and simply cashed in an easy check.
>>
No, remasters this gen are fucking shit.
At least last gen we got entire collections of games instead of 1 or 2.
The only decent remaster this gen is the Uncharted Collection.
But, consolefags are willing to pay another $60 to play the same game on high instead of low, so whatever.
>>
>>344235406
That was probably for people that didn't own a PS3. I don't know why /v/ thinks every person in the world has brand loyalty. People just buy the most talked about console, they didn't necessarily ever own a Playstation console.
>>
>>344232840
>There will never be a PC port of Xenoblade Chronicles.
>>
>>344235121
>But that's wrong. The whole tower of illusion was new which is another 10-15 hours of gameplay.
Ports do add stuff like that, i.e. some Purse Owner ports
>>
>>344235939

Dolphin runs it fine though

Quit after Melia got cucked though
>>
>>344235740
The KH collections have been good though. Next one is basically including the Ground Zeroes for KH3 with the scenario involving Aqua playable.
>>
>>344234236
WW HD wasn't a full remake. They just slapped some shaders on it and enabled a couple features.

In fact Nintendo makes the worst remasters by far because they're fucking overpriced.
>>
>>344232840
Personally I don't mind since some of these games I never got to play the first time around. The others I just ignore. For instance, I got to play all of the God of War games on PS3, that was nice.

Also, I never pay $60 for anything unless it's the most amazing game ever, and I really can't see paying $60 for any remaster. Maybe if they do a true remaster in HD of DMC3 for PS4 or something, but that will never happen.
>>
File: cut content.jpg (184 KB, 853x960) Image search: [Google]
cut content.jpg
184 KB, 853x960
>>344236956
This is the only remaster that's any good because it's making DDD 60fps. The PS3 remasters were fucking garbage and worse than the original game.

>censor the game
>wash out the colors
>make loading times longer
>change almost nothing visually
>add no new content
>"b-but muh music"
>>
>>344237886
WHEN YOU WALK AWAY
>>
I have a few between PS4 and Xbone and almost all of them were purchased for $15 or less
>>
File: KH_1.5_HD_ReMIX_SD_vs_HD.jpg (137 KB, 494x329) Image search: [Google]
KH_1.5_HD_ReMIX_SD_vs_HD.jpg
137 KB, 494x329
>>344237886
>censor the game
Turning a white void into a brown void is not really a big deal. Who plays KH for the panty shots? Sure they should have left it in but seriously, it isn't a big deal.

>wash out the colors
The colors don't look that washed out to me. Your picture is the most jarring image I can find.

>make loading times longer
Being able to skip cutscenes makes up for it in KH1. 2.5 load times were pretty bad and you would think they would have given the option to install in that game.

>change almost nothing visually
I would rather have that then have weird ass new textures

>add no new content
They are just remasters not a full blown remake.
>>
>>344232840
i've bought tons of the HD updates of PS2 titles on PS3/PS4 (never full price, always good value - that is to say, for a console babby who doesn't pirate vidya) and I like the trend. Trophies (lol) give me a reason to replay some of my old favorites (Sly, Shadow of the Colossus, PoP, MGS) or give me the chance to play classics for the first time (Jak, Ratchet, ICO, Okami, Bully, Splinter Cell, Hitman, God of War, Beyond Good and Evil). I'm playing Medal of Honor: Frontlines for the first time right now (yeah it's kinda shit in 2016, but I'm at least digging the throwback vidya vibes). I swear I play more PS2 games on PS3 then I do actual PS3 games these days.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.