[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
32 KB, 480x360
Which is better?
>>
ffxi
after playing xiv for awhile you realize how shit it is
that is all
>>
Lalafells were a mistake
>>
>>344226129
literally this

ffxiv is just a facebook game at this point, idle all day and then do a dungeon and log out.
>>
>>344225598
FFXI, is this even a serious question?
>>
>>344226320
It's still better than WoW.
>>
>you'll never get into an exp party with bros you'll stick with for life again.
>you'll never create amazing skillchains that do a lot of damage all at once
>blue mage
>>
File: final fantasy 14 rr.jpg (247 KB, 1444x921) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy 14 rr.jpg
247 KB, 1444x921
>>344225598
11 will be an epic (not the meme definition of word) adventure. Its been revamped so you can form parties with powerful NPC's who are as good as characters. It'll be like playing Xenoblade and give you 40+ hours of story content, 100+ if you cock around. All of that is only counting solo, you wont NEED someone else 99% of the time. There's a mind blowing amount of stuff to do, and even old content is kept moderately relevant.

14 replaces all of its raids/events with new ones that make older ones obsolete. You'll have about 12-16 hours of story content from it. You cannot progress alone but if you don't mind waiting "in line" you will be sorted into random parties with other people. The gameplay is far simpler and more user friendly than 11.

Between the two I'd say 14 is short and sweet and by the time you beat 11 you'll feel like a grizzled adventurer at the end of an entire saga. After all, its the only mmo you can "beat" thanks to it being "finished".
>>
>>344226698
No new expansions obviously but they still do content updates every month or two with new stuff to do.
>>
>>344226698

I've been playing FFXIV for about since its release, and it pales in comparison to FFXI in every way. The only thing better is graphics, and maybe cute glamour girls.

But mithra > miqo'te on a base level.
>>
>>344226912
Yeah I know but to me that doesn't really count, even though I enjoy that stuff. I'm glad they're taking such care.
>>
What's with all the FFXI circlejerks recently?

It's a shitty decade old game that no one plays anymore. If you want to keep talking about it all fucking day, go make a general.
>>
File: 1457056989477.jpg (207 KB, 600x1092) Image search: [Google]
1457056989477.jpg
207 KB, 600x1092
XIV has better combat, XI has better structure. XIV has two major flaws though that keep it below XI in its prime.

The first is the weekly/vertical endgame progression requiring you to run with a set group of eight and only that group to progress at a decent rate. You need all eight on for so many hours just to get anywhere, one missed week fucks you in progression due to the vertical build. XI dodged this issue with multiple types of end game & horizontal progression allowing you to use both large & small groups for steady progression you never lose.

The second being that crafting is fairly useless because the devs are afraid of RMT & the vertical system needs to put raids ahead. This also results in a completely shit economy. Your only real purpose in XIV is to run raids or casually work towards glamour items & do the raids 6-12 months later in pugs for glamour.
>>
>>344227461
As someone who plays both, its because 14 is beginning to disappoint, while 11 has loads of content. They revamped 11 so that its more user friendly instead of a mega grind, and so loads of people go back to experience all the stuff they didn't finish.

The community of 11 and 14 are extremely different, with 11 being very friendly and 14 approaching LoL standards of behavior. The older gamers especially who recall working together in 11 or competing in a friendly manner are more than happy to go back to that instead of deal with spergs flipping out all day on 14.
>>
>>344227742

Does /v/ have any server they play on? Or, rather, what's the most populated XI server?
>>
>>344226954
even in graphics, while 14 is better in that regard, i always felt 11 had a better aesthetic to it, mostly because the older zones in 11 were meant to be stayed in for some time while 14 most maps are just there to fill space.

personally the only thing 14 has going for it was costumes, 11 was very sparse in the cosmetic aspect.

>>344227887
last i knew the only real populated server left is Asura
>>
>>344227742
>and 14 approaching LoL standards of behavior.

THIS.
THIS.
Its fucking terrible. Just take a look at /vg/, there's a reason yo see 14 threads appear here despite that general. /v/ gets treated like a bunker from the "majority" of the 14 population who sits in /vg/ all day being catty as fuck, talking about erp, shitting on each others DPS for being 1 number off, the works. its like someone crossed /b/ and /cgl/
>>
>>344227461
FFXI required thought and actual teamwork, communication and coordination. It wasn't just "Pop all your cooldowns and do your own thing, repeat" like all these post-WoW MMOs.
>>
>>344228065
im not defending 14's simon says mechanics, but cmon anon, once the playerbase discovered how fucking godly haste is almost all the big fights in 11 were jokes due to how broken debuffs/buffs were.
>>
>>344228020
>using /vg/ as an example of anything
stop
>>
FFXI = Everquest
FFXIV = World of Warcraft
>>
>>344227887
Asura is where Reddit and 4chan go. I play on Shiva and its decently populated. I could move anywhere but I prefer Shiva because it was one of the "original" japanese servers.

This probably sounds strange but you'll just need to believe me when I say the older servers always had better behavior. The presence of JP making up 75% of the population for the first 6 years on them caused players to try extra hard to work together and maintain even their reputations. This sort of behavior molded and remained on those servers, people don't put up with a dickhead.

When I moved to Midgardsormr which was 95% english, it was quite the dramatic shitshow compared to Shiva. Still far far better than a 14 community, but the difference was immediately noticeable within minutes.
>>
>>344227964

Any good 75 cap private servers? I heard 75 cap was the heyday of the game.
>>
ffxi
It's actually an MMO and not a single player game with multilayer content at the end
>>
>>344227887
I started playing again in mid-2015 after almost six years on Sylph, previously Fairy.

Maybe 200-300 people on at any given time, with half being mules/bazaars idling. Couldn't get shit done if it couldn't be done with trusts (and most end-game stuff can't unless you yourself already have the best available gear and are one of a couple jobs) or if it wasn't a scheduled LS event. Few shouts for stuff beyond A.Skirmish and Sinister Reign.
>>
>>344228065
>>344227742
>>344227492
I can agree with these
In ff14 you just engage and spam your memorized combos for top deeps or hate
In FFXI even if you're fighting something easy you'll think for 1 second as you begin to engage and plan out everything you are about to do, because you have to. If you're a spammy moron you'll die more easily than you would think. So you are always strategizing
>>
>>344228349
The reason it was the heydey period was because of the community, even private servers dont go above 300 or so from what i understand, regardless, you wont get the "true" xi experience no matter which you decide on, that ship sailed long long ago anon. Your last real chance, if it can be called such, was when Adoulin came out, that was the last big playerbase spike and that died about as quick as it came.
>>
>>344228225
I stopped playing in 2010, you couldn't cap haste without the absolute best gear and even then I'm not sure if it was even worth it to hit the cap as you'd lose too much ACC/STP on your slots and whatnot.
>>
>>344228349
Unless you have a team of people to do 75 content with I'd just play the current iteration of the game and enjoy your epic 1 player rpg (unless you do the insane hard extra stuff)
>>
I really want to try XI but the thought of playing an MMO without most of the playerbase there depresses me
>>
>>344228796
you cap haste in 2-3 slots these days but melee are still paupers rotting in pigslop

you can work on gear for melee for 6 months and still not top what a fresh blm in handout gear can do on their first day
>>
>>344228670
fair enough then, back then yeah fights were actually dangerous, some still were but basically if you had a solid rdm/whm/brd, and 2 tanks. Unless your DPS were the worst fucking retards you were set for most fights in the game, jut because with haste, marches, elegies, and slows most bosses that werent immune were fucking pushovers in the grand ole days of shadow tanking everything, that only got worse when paladin got shield mastery traits, poor ninjas
>>
>>344228803
There's plenty around, its just more possible and simpler to solo a lot of the time.

There's even an easier way to get Linkshells (sort of like clans) on 11 now, you can speak to special NPC's who recruit you for leaders who could be difficult to find. It also cleared up the shouting channels for recruitments since its a better method.
>>
Why is Japan so fucking obsessed with tiny mascot characters?
FFXIV would be 10x better without fucking potatoes.
>>
I sometimes wish for there to be an FFXI-like MMO out there, with better UI and more accessible entry-level zones. I think if such a game existed, and they did it right (not XIV 1.0), it could be successful.
>>
Whats the playstyle for a mage like. I've played XI off and on since late 04 but somehow in that entire time I never played a mage type char. I'm considering going back again and leveling geo so I can do some endgame stuff but I have actual 0 clue how to play mage.
>>
>>344226647
My blue mage nigga
>be me
>be leveling DRG after dumping merits into polearm on Sam
>get penta thrust at 47 in crawlers best
>in a PT with all JP
>break 1k at level 47 on exp mobs
>holy shit killed enemy from 95% to 0
>impress jps and they invite me back shortly after I log in
>my flag wasn't up
>oh gosh.jpg
>>
>>344228903
Melee is just useless in general because EVERYTHING has awful AoE that kills you in 1-2 hits. You just die too quickly, it's a massive drain on mages, and if you don't have capped ACC you're not hitting shit anyway.

Until the BST nerf every fight was
>PLD/w 99 Aegis, SCH, RDM, WHM/GEO, BST, BST
And even after everyone still just wanted BST for everything. Playing melee was suffering all-around, I never got to do much of anything because I wasn't one of the above jobs with top-tier gear. I had 119 PLD with decent gear but without a fully-upgraded Aegis and Ochain I couldn't tank shit. Like, I could solo the 119 geas fete guys in Zi'Tah with trusts but that was it, everything just pounds you with massive magic damage.
>>
>>344229426
unfortunately not anon, the only way itd work is it it had a popular brand name, heck part of the reason 14 was able to revive itself at all was because it had FF slapped on the title, the playstyle of FF11 is just too outdated for current gen standards, even if it was "improved".

>>344229828
>proper BLU/DRG/PUP will never be remade again
I cant fucking play anything else these days without wanting to play one of those 3 instead, the flexibility was amazing
>>
>>344227461
What's with all the XIV circlejerks all the fucking timefaggot
>>
>>344229853
the fucking increasing eva shit is the worst thing recent 11 did, next to as you said, every fucking nm/boss/whatever needs to have either 1-5 TP moves that do massive magic aoe damage, or just an auto-attack that's radial or conal Aoe that does massive dmg or does medium damage + 15 different status ailments. Its a big reason i quit entirely, its fucking infuriating
>>
>>344227492
Sorry bro, XIV combat will never be better than ffxi
>experimental subjobs on tanks and melees
>tanking endgame 18-man bosses on unorthodox jobs like rdm or blu
>every melee had a special use during 75 cap
>6 man teams provide more balance and enjoyment than 4 dude squads
>an actual support class can work in the system
What is up with newage ADHD glorification of just mashing buttonsnas fast as possible in preset orders
>>
>>344229047
Maybe I'll pick it up come wintertime sales
Are people still actively partying up for anything and generally just hanging around shooting the shit?
>>
>>344229972
Blu will never work in 14s system
I'msorry bro. Rip in piece
>feeling like a fucking pirate when you got your corsair artifact
>>
>>344230556
lololo what are you even talking about. there's maybe 6 viable jobs now
>>
>>344230556
its better in the fact it flows more smoothly, be honest, once you got into the higher tier of mechanics in 11, no matter what you played, it usually required pages of pages of macros, thats not to say MMOs dont have them, but 11 meta was basically built around macros and gearsets to the point your inventory was a constant issue, fucking having 2-4 different classes with different basic armor types was the bane of my fucking existance
>>
>>344230556

because macros are so much different than hotkeys
>>
>>344230795
i dotn even mean in 14's i mean in ANY current MMO, the flexibility is just too much for any current gen shitter to deal with

>What? I actually have to SET MY OWN SKILLS? Fuck this shit, im gonna go play braindead DPs #10825
>>
is the best way to play XI right now just hopping in and subbing? It does have a sub right? I've always wanted to play it but I felt like I missed it. Played XIV and while I enjoyed it I never felt that immersed in it I guess. None of the content except for a few of the coils are even remotely challenging.
>>
>>344231163
yup, just sign up and hope you can get past the 1st real XI test
>PlayOnline
If you can pass that you're good to go
>>
>>344230831
Sorry I should say XIV will never be better than xi was. I'm not happy with the new accuracy check mage system either.

>>344230878
They were all gear macros. Which is great because it actually have purpose to collecting gear, and you could use old odds and ends. The staying point of mmo is gear progression. Also at 75, combat was not slow at all, except maybe on monk and blm
>>
>>344231163
>>344231293
Alternatively if you want to try and experience at least a fraction of what XI was like in its prime.

http://nasomi.com/
>>
>>344226698
>ts been revamped so you can form parties with powerful NPC's who are as good as characters. It'll be like playing Xenoblade and give you 40+ hours of story content, 100+ if you cock around.
whoa does that exist right now?
i've love to be able to basically solo the game to see it's content without playing with friends
>>
>>344225598
Both are shit and xiv is just copying wow so might aswell play wow instead
>>
>>344231049
>adding a gear swap macro to an actually useful ability that might need to be rationed is the same as pressing the same cycle of buttons for the whole battle, any battle
>>
I like XI's traditional active time battle system with menus over XIV's MMO hot bar tab-targeting combat. Feels more like a FF game whereas XIV feels like a WoW clone.
>>
>>344231375
well yes, end-game was all about movement, but most people dont even make it to end-game in these types of games, so it doesnt apply to most players. Most would fucking quit at XI's equivalent of 50 cause they didnt reach end-game in a weekend, that's another one of 14's appeals, you are caught up fairly quickly.
>>
>>344231685

yeah. its programming your own hotkeys vs having premade ones. don't pretend for one god damn second that even the most complex classes in FFXI did more than 10 actions a minute
>>
File: 1463863998558.jpg (448 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1463863998558.jpg
448 KB, 800x1000
>>344225598
XIV's only saving grace is the interesting boss fights and sped up combat, which is then totally wasted by the utter reliance on scripted instanced fights that cycle obsolescence every several months, and 1-size-fits-all singular optimal rotation and gear loadout for every single job.

XI is clearly more dated in it's gameplay style, but it's the infinitely more well crafted game in nearly every regard.
>>
File: 1430954895949.jpg (66 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1430954895949.jpg
66 KB, 722x349
>you will never go back in time to tell your younger self to go play all the cool multiplayer games you missed out on while they were still active
god dammit just fucking kill me
>>
>>344231981
Doesn't that prove my point? The quality of the combat is being implied to be proportionally equivalent to the number of actions per minute and not much else
>>
>>344232213
Old XI was, id say the craft was lost once SE figured out they could just give mobs stupid aoe auto-attack TP moves and slap debilitating status effects on said moves, or auras, or TP moves, or all of the above and make a fight "challenging", so round late aby period, though early Delve, while still having those issues, was kinda neatadmittedly
>>
>>344231395

What about the SuperNova server? I heard that one has upwards to like 1k people active at a time.
>>
>>344225598

Having played both, im glad ffxi was my first mmo experience. i played from the Na release to about 2010, honestly best times of my life, met so many great people and had so many memorable moments. Tons of people who loved the same thing you did. Still to this day i cant stand the people i meet in the real world. Then again my city is shit.
>>
>>344232479

No worries Anon, I played FFXI at its peak and enjoyed the moments, but we all have our regrets like this.

I wish I played EVE from the beginning, too.
>>
>>344232553
Abbyssea is generally regaurded as when FFXI died.
>>
>>344232538

the hardest encounters could be cheesed with threat exploits, namely most of the CoP fights and items you ground up for. beyond that, most strats were 'zerg this target while the healer tries his best to maintain the party' or "let the black mages and summoners blow it up and only weaponskills because giving the boss TP sucks'

t. white mage from RoZ to just after ToAU
>>
>>344232553
I don't know anything about FFXI post 75 cap, so to me the only real incarnation of the game was prior to SE ruining the balance on purpose for a final hurrah prior to XIV coming out, which was a godawful game and still sort of it.
>>
>>344233000
im aware but i personally enjoyed it up til the end of aby and the dead zone of voidwatch bullshit. Which is when SE went full retard with those mechanics
>>
File: 1447446498019.jpg (396 KB, 1171x1181) Image search: [Google]
1447446498019.jpg
396 KB, 1171x1181
>tfw you fell for the 3.0 meme thinking it would add as much to XIV as Rise of the Zilart did to XI
>>
>>344233128
Aye, personally didnt even mind the cap increase, but the fact it was only done to be a "filler content til 14's ready" was the worst, it was handled horribly, and lazily
>>
>>344233347
yeah, it's pretty depressing. I put more time into 3.x than 2.x though
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.