[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are video games such a guy thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2123x1413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2123x1413
Why are video games such a guy thing?
>>
But women are the majority of gamers idiots
>>
Video games are a thing you usually enjoy by yourself for the sake of enjoyment and playing them doesn't make others think highly of you, therefore it has no value to girls
Or at least it used to be like that
>>
>>344209261
Nah, gender is a social construct.
>>
>>344209149
Cause they are goal oriented
>>
Men are engineered to conquer and women are engineered to be conquered by the best possible man. Notice how when available, women in videogames tend to lean towards supportive classes such as healers.
>>
The tech fields of study that pioneered video game development consisted mostly of men. So you had men making video games for men. Its been that way ever since.
>>
i saw an interesting video about it. During the wild west era of games and consoles in the early 80's it wasn't really a boy or a girl thing. But then after the crash nintendo made their console and marketed it as a toy because they knew there was a stigma against video games.

Toy stores were segmented into boys sections and girls sections. For probably a multiple of reasons they chose to put them in the boys section and market to boys. Since then its been a male dominated hobby and since it was a boys hobby, naturally young girls scorned it just like how boys scorn dolls.
>>
>>344209618
Then how do you explain transpeople?
>>
>>344209618
>people actually believe this
Truly frightening.
>>
File: really.jpg (14 KB, 458x319) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
14 KB, 458x319
>>344210714
>>
>>344209149
Something about the male brain being able to see the goals in a game while women don't.
>>
>>344209149
>Why is dancing such a girl thing?

Why don't you like dancing, anon? Why?
>>
>>344210835
the modern definition of gender is. Sex itself is a biological function.

You can choose to reject the modern definition of gender but i don't think you can reject the concept of society expecting certain qualities of each gender.
>>
>>344209618
fun is also a social construct
>>
>>344210935
>i know nothing about the history of video games but ill post a smug picture
>>
>>344209149
Because women cook, clean and make babies. Video games are for men.
>>
>>344210714
Was that video Adam Ruins Everything?
>>
Men love competing.
>>
>>344211337
yeah it was

im not sure how credible he is but its an explanation that seemed to make sense
>>
>>344211337

That smug fucker can't be taken with a goddamn mountain of salt
>>
They are plenty of games for women on mobile it just that they all threat you like rich white women in a disenfranchised neighborhood.
>>
It has things men are engineered to love. It has machines, violence, adventure, problem solving, ect. It evokes our deepest instincts in a spiritual way.

Most women act interested in games and what guys like in general, because it gets them closer to us and we are more likely to mate with someone we are comfortable with. It's also a hot social thing to be 'cool with your inner nerd' and all that cancer. Women jump on that shit and try to cater it to them so they can understand it.
>>
File: tips.jpg (7 KB, 300x246) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
7 KB, 300x246
>>344211152
>le history of video games
fedoras on a little tight buddy

and videogames had moved to the electronics section of stores by the snes era

I used to buy mine next to the robot building kits and play ovens for girls, so the "placement in a toy store" argument shouldn't apply to the entire millennial generation
>>
>>344211037
You can if you suppose that societies "expectations" are an abstract manifestation of its members biological drives and therefore not completely arbitrary which is obviously the case
>>
autism is more common in men
>>
>>344211670
>and videogames had moved to the electronics section of stores by the snes era
> by the snes era

Yup, they did. We're talking about the NES/Master System era which was what revitalized video games as an industry and defined their marketing strategy.
>>
women deal more in real life issues. things that are actually relevant

abstract competition is more of a male deal
>>
Competition? Men are naturally more competitive
>>
>>344211723

Right. Thats what would cause society to have an expectation of a genders behavioral traits
>>
>>344211670

Do you know what isle the robot building kits would be located in a toy store?
>>
File: ad.jpg (553 KB, 900x1267) Image search: [Google]
ad.jpg
553 KB, 900x1267
>>344211915
>marketing strategy

like the ads pitched towards families and both genders?

I still don't see how this explains the male domination of video games...
Isn't it just possible that men just enjoy them more?
>>
>>344211976
Like taking photos of themselves and posting them on Fb and literally sitting there taking note of who did and didn't like the photo? Women are the most mundane creatures on the planet.
>>
Good / in depth / engrossing games are a guy thing. Women play a lot of videogames, but it's mostly farmville like time and money sinks.

Why is it that way? I don't know.

My mother plays candy crush all day. I'd rather stare at a wall than do that.
>>
>>344212061

The difference between society having expectations and constructing them has significant implications.
>>
Because girls have better things to
Do
>>
>>344209852
>Notice how when available, women in videogames tend to lean towards supportive classes such as healers.
You know, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a girl who plays videogames main something other than the designated supporting class in an MMO/FPS/ASSFAGGOT.
>>
>>344214015
Such as typing like
Idiots?
>>
>>344212581
yeah, real life. just like I said
>>
>>344209149
Women can't use video games to find a rich husband, that's the only reason they become interested in male activities to begin with
>>
>a thread full of kissless virgins giving everyone their wisdom about girls.
>>
It's not.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/15/10220440/pew-research-center-video-games-gender
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.