[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dawn of War III
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (110 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
110 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAy0N-lFGFc
>We want the Warcraft III audience
Where were you when Warcraft 4 was announced as Dawn of War III?
Where were you when Relic decided to BTFO Blizzard?
I'm so fucking hype for this game I can't wait to play.
>>
fucking children keep screaming "MOBA" at it like they don't know about one of the best games ever is what gave birth to moba's in the first place. I hope they don't ruin it for me.
>>
File: dawn_of_war_3-8.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dawn_of_war_3-8.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
I like the shape of the UI but the aesthetic is a bit too cartoony/colorfull. They should tone it down a bit. Also, the bigass mech didn't seem to do any damage whatsoever with her basic attacks, but her gattling gun and missile abilities seemed to kill stuff instantly. I'm not sure if heroes will level up or if their stats are static, but that Angelos guy looked badass. Reminded me of Uther Lightbringer. I think the animations and damage indication could use some extra work. I'd like to see the base building and resource management a bit more, but that will probably come in a later update.
Overall I'm pretty excited.
>>
File: dawn_of_war_3-4.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dawn_of_war_3-4.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>344202585
>update
sorry meant to write demo.
>>
bump
>>
File: 5732.jpg (24 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
5732.jpg
24 KB, 480x480
>>344200004
WOW. IT'S FUCKING NOTHING. Nice trying to hype, it looks like dog shit.
>>
Basebuilding has returned?

Okay, I'll buy it.
>>
>>344204073
explain yourself, faggot
>>
>>344200004
As we have already discussed in many threads, DoW 3 looks like utter garbage, and relic has abandoned any sense of sanity.
It looks like a casualized and shallow mixture of worst traits of both DoW 1 and 2, that is intended to be "the most accessible DoW yet" that has taken inspiration from Dota and other such games.
>>
>>344204960
>that is intended to be "the most accessible DoW yet" that has taken inspiration from Dota and other such games.

>dota invented heroes

Play warcraft 3 you underage faggot.
>>
>>344204960
>taken inspiration from dota
>dota
Are you actually 8 years old?
>>
>>344204960
Go To
>>344201182
then weep
>>
>>344205083
>>344205386

You ignorant niggers, the devs themselves said that they have taken inspiration from DOTA.
http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

"For multiplayer, inspired by Dota's hero selection phase, Relic designers are considering an element of pick and counter-pick to the pre-battle screen, though they're yet to show exactly how this will work."
>>
>>344205529
Oh wow, so you get to pick a hero? must be moba shit.

fuck off toddler, it looks like Warcraft 3.
>>
>>344200004
>looks like a mobile game
>plays like shit
>Gabriel in terminator armor doing fucking assault marine jumps
>"This is a great place for newcomers to Dawn of War, Warhammer in general, and strategy games!"
Literally threw up into my own stomach
>>
>>344206029
>get blown the fuck out
>Resort to adhoms
Bitch please.
The Devs themselves flat out stated that they were inspired by Dota, and they consistently refer to the troops you use as "line units", like they were some sort of fucking minions. The game is clearly being designed to attract the moba audience, with the whole focus being on "Super" and "elite" units you pick before the match even starts.

Besides, Warcraft 3 was inferior to Starcraft anyways ;^)
>>
>>344200004
I want to believe
>>
It looks like shit
I wanted more DoW1, not a worse version of DoW2
>>
>trailer comes out
>looks gr8, get hyped

>first view of gameplay comes out
>looks like shit, hype completely disappears
>only feel overwhelming sadness when I see people discuss this game now
I still rewatch the trailer from time to time
fuck
>>
>>344206673
It looks like a worse version of DoW 1 though, with static combat with spammable masses of units, with extremely OP heroes doing most of the actual leg work as you A-move your army across the battlefield.
>>
>>344206969
Yea the actual units seem to weak and I hope they fix that. Didn't they say in the vid that the gameplay was super unbalanced?
>>
>>344206969
they said it's pre-alpha aka not finished.
you could spawn op units in dow2 like in the video.
heroes weren't as op in dow2 as they are in that video but it's a demo and it's mostlikely just on easy.
>>
>>344206969
That was the same in dow1. The necron overlord could solo entire armies with solar flare and scarabs
>>
>>344207364
>>344207395
The combat being on ez mode does little to comfort my suspicions.
The abilities they showed, and the combat just in general, seemed to be extremely shallow, with rows of guys just standing still and shooting each other like a bunch of statues. The abilities being AOE spam looks worrisome as well, not to mention the utterly braindead cover mechanic.

All in all, everything I have seen from it seems to indicate that the so called "line units" are designed to be little more than backdrops to your "super awesome" elite and super units that do most of the actual fighting, and have all the cool, and flashy abilities.
Which fucking sucks, because the fundamental unit design principles are screwed into a completely wrong direction that emphasizes spectacle and "awesomeness" over actually interesting and tactical combat.
>>
>>344207395
>you could spawn op units in dow2 like in the video

you mean like the Khaine avatar and the Great Unclean One? Unless you're playing a game with 1000 victory points or annihilation, likely you would not even have a chance of spawning them
>>
Warcraft 3 was a perfectly fine game OP. Kill yourself.

I fucking wish it would turn out like WC3. What we're going to get is going to suck.
>>
>>344208493
I think he is referring to the units like Terminators etc you could summon if you had the cash, had upgraded your command center to tier 3, and also had enough of the Red resource thing.
>>
>>344207995
we'll see when it comes out, the demo looks pretty bad by itself, dunno why they would release it when they knew it looked bad, they even had a pretty big disclaimer at the beginning usually they just have some text for that not a person.

>>344208493
no, i mean terminator units
>>
>>344204960
So it's /v/ trying it's hardest to build up a firewall of buzzwords it can spout off at any game that comes out that may in any way dampen it's nostalgia.
>>
>>344206969
So it's 40k then?
>>
>>344210685
except the fooder units are spacemarines and not shitty conscripts
>>
>>344210685
Nope.
What the fuck gave you that idea?

40k is full of armies that have powerful baseline units, and in general, no army in 40k relies on some super unit to do all the heavy lifting for the hapless mooks.
Shit like Imperial knights for example, are in fact very easily countered by even basic troops. Hell the Wraithguard that the Knight fought in the vid in OP, would absolutely fucking rape an Imperial Knight on the actual tabletop.
>>
>>344206673
There is absolutely ZERO reference to DoW2 in the game. There is no cover system, no multiple heroes, no small unit sizes, no loot, no rpg system...

What the fuck are you talking about? There is NOTHING DoW2 about this at all. It's just a shit version of DoW1.
>>
>>344200004
Not as bad as I thought it would be but still it has more potential. Also give us the original voice actors, get the composer from DoW 2 and make it less colorful/cartoony. Animations are fucking floaty.
>>
>>344210941
>>344211042

>Everything I know about the 40k genre and game is from DoW and Lexicanum.

Only thing even remotely correct there is Wraithguard able to take on an imperial knight.

And only if the Wraithguard shoot first because of SD ranged weapons.
Good luck outranging an Imperial knight though you clueless fuckskins.

Jesus christ, it's like you morons purposely try and be as casual as possible.
>>
Why is a space marine imperial knight a woman? Isnt that lore breaking, since only men can handle the process that a space marine has to undergo.

And why are units so small, this looks like ass.
>>
>>344211042
>no army in 40k relies on some super unit to do all the heavy lifting for the hapless mooks.
Except Eldar.
>>
>>344211475
>if i pretend to know shit people will finally think i'm cool
who hurt you anon?
>>
>>344211475
The guy mixed up Wraithguard with Wraithknight. The Wraithknight would rape a Knight Titan. Unless it's one of the 30k ones.
>>
>>344211648
you don't know about the sisters and you're a faggot btw
>>
>>344211648
Imperial Knights are not related to Space Marines. Stop talking about shit you don't know.

Knight Titans and Battle Titans can be piloted and are piloted by women.
>>
>>344211810
Sisters aren't genetically enhanced either. Again, stop talking about shit you don't know.
>>
File: muh wraithguards.png (2 MB, 1426x818) Image search: [Google]
muh wraithguards.png
2 MB, 1426x818
>>344211475
Nigger, I play 40k and Eldar at that on the tt.

Strap a bunch of Wraithguard inside a Wave Serpent, and you'll have them at shooting range of that knight on the second fucking turn at the latest, and once they are there, that Knight is dead.

Or, if you are even more of an asshole, ally with Deldar, and use their Webway portal to deep strike straight next to that fucking Knight, and shoot it dead on the turn you arrive.

And honestly, that is an overkill.

There are plenty of just regular ways of killing knights, ranging from just using high ap weapons to punch trough their armor and fuck em up no sweat.

The only armies that may have trouble against Knights are armies like Nids and Orks, but that's mostly because those armies are underpowered as it is. And even they can simply chip it to death with sheer weight of fire.

Also, Imperial Knights get shat on by aircraft, even if they buy that anti air carapace gun.
>>
>>344211706
Oh. In that case then sure.

Wraithknights can rape everything because they're Eldar units, Eldar have always been broken on the tabletop.

>>344211654
Eldar, Necrons, Orks, Tau, Space marines, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard....ah fuck it.

Every fucking army on the tabletop and in the fluff has their super heroic and elite units saving the day and fighting off impossible odds compared to the rank and file.

The rank and file are just -there-
>>
>>344211967
no seriously, who hurt you?
>>
>>344211817
Why are they using them in the space marine roster then?
>>
>>344212102
Not the same guy, but he comes in and say shit which is wrong, people read it, then repeat it. 40k has enough retards in it as it is, don't need more.
>>
>>344206536

You inbred fucktard. DotA is a WC3 mod, and as such has hero selection THE SAME WAY WC3 had hero selection and hero counters.

Remember how annoying early blademaster rushing your mineral line was? Say you were playing human and chose pally, you were fucked - if you chose archmage you could get a surround on the blademaster with peons and beat him down with water elemental+range.

Stop acting like hero counters are dota exclusive - plenty of RTS games have had them.
>>
>>344211706
No, I did not.
Wraithguard absolutely fuck up Knights if they get to shoot it, because "lol, Strenght D" Their range is just 12" but the Eldar have means of getting them in the range fast as fuck, as I mentioned here>>344212057

Wraithknights outright just bully Imperial Knights out of the board with no fucking effort, because they have 2 strenght D cannons that have way too long range, that the Knight can't do shit about. The only Strength D Knights have access to are their melee weapons, and an imperial knight will NEVER EVER catch a Wraithgknight on melee range, if the WK doesn't want to be in melee range. Wraith Knights are fucking Jump Gargantuan creatures. They are fast as fuck.

>>344211654
No they don't.
The most op eldar bullshit for their point value as it is are just jetbikes and you get them as troops.
>>
>>344212057
>Ignores the fact I said they do fuck up an Imperial knight
>Proves Eldar are broken shit
>Proves Mooks are pointless with elite units.

Well, I play Space Wolves, so if I do bring a Knight it's guarded by the flying fuckhead furry cavalry who tear Wave Serpents and Wraithguard apart anyway.

We can dance around who can fuck over whatever tactics people use.

>>344212487
Jetbikes ain't standard mooks though.

Nobody uses guardians.
>>
>>344212286
Because Knight Titans sometimes help other factions of the Imperium.
>>
>>344212487

What? Jetbikes are pretty nonstandard and cost a fuck ton of points

Seer council on bikes looks so cool though.

So many of the Eldar units are just so squishy they are literally useless.
>>
>>344212591
I never claimed that the Eldar weren't bullshit OP on the tt.
My point about Wraithguard was mostly just how ridicilous the video in the OP is as it presents a Knight as being a counter to the Wraithguards, when in TT, the Knight would be very, very dead, if it tried to engage that many Wraithguard. There are like 18 of them in that vid when the Knight arrives. That's 18 Strenght D shots.

Also, Jetbikes absolutely are standard mooks. They are just guardians on a god damn hoverbike.
Nobody uses Guardians because the Eldar have so many better options for troops. Guardians aren't actually bad themselves, they are just completely overshadowed by even better troop options.
>>
>>344212487

Not the guy you were responding to, but wtf is GW smoking bringing D weapons to regular games? Shit's imbalanced as fuck, and that's why it lives in apocalypse. Note I haven't played since 4th edition, did they at least nerf D weapons?
>>
>>344200004

Who the fuck is that...

Thats not Gabriel Angelos.

Why the fuck would they ruin his voice when it was perfect before.
>>
>>344212943
I see thanks anon, just thought it was strange to see women or imperial units in a space marine faction.
>>
>>344213131
It's a video game.

Do you want the game to REALLY be like the tabletop where Space marines are never used because Bikes are better and Gabriel Angelos is a Chapter master FACEFUCKER who never dies even to D weapons because he's using the Iron Hands Supplement?

Or perhaps changing my skin to Space Wolves let's me have Assault turn 2 Wulfen who have striking at I5 Thunder Hammers on the charge with a 3++ armor save?

People whining how the DoW don't look like the tabletop don't understand the tabletop would look fucking silly in a game.

Just a bunch of clowns flying around denying spots on the map and being unkillable.
>>
>small groups of infantry
>cover is just control points that make bubble shields
>no building units
>the special big units do all the damage with their abilities
Well at least I know I can ignore this game
>>
>>344211228
DoW2 was tacticool tryhard shit that a lot of people didn't like
>>
>command card on the left

what in the fuck
>>
>>344213051
You don't play tt, do you?

The Jetbikes are a troop choice for Eldar, and they can get cheap as fuck scatter lasers on every model. They are extremely cheap for the firepower and mobility they bring, not to mention their ability to contest objectives due to being troops.

They are easily the best troops in the whole game.

Seer councils on bikes just make the whole bullshit even more op.

Also, the Eldar units aren't actually that squishy outside of Guardians and some of the Aspect Warriors. And even then, the worst armor saves they got are 4+.

With all the psychic shenangians, your insane mobility, and fuckload of firepower, the relative "squishiness" matters none, because unless the opponent is playing something equally cheecy like Tau Riptide Spam, or Necron Decurions while massing canocep wraiths, they are shit out of luck against cheesy eldar bullshit.

Not that every Eldar unit is Op. It is just that the Eldar allow you to make extremely powerful armies via certain unit choices, if you are douchy enough to do that.
>>
>>344213731
exactly, and this is a fucking casualized shitshow
even compared to dow 1
>>
>>344213338
Ever single Imperial faction is self enclosed and reliant on all the other factions to pick up where they cannot. The Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard are wholly different organizations despite having to work in tandem 99% of the time. The Heresy fucked shit up big time and put a major fear of one leader ruining everything because they controlled it all.
>>344213731
And yet most the complaints I see in the thread could apply exactly as they are to DoW 1.
>>
>>344213698
this
I'm also mad about the no cover system, its just an area that absorbs damage now

>also capping point by just standing in its area
>>
File: le concerned train man.jpg (16 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
le concerned train man.jpg
16 KB, 240x237
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAy0N-lFGFc

>British """""women"""""
>>
>that cover system

they need to just give up

every iteration has had a terrible system
>>
>>344213527
Oh, fuck no. I don't want the game to be like TT at all. It is relic who has said that they want to emulate the TT (though mostly the looks of the units).
But again, as I said, the point about the Wraithguard was more of a funny observation of how ridiculously inverted the situation would be on the tt.

What I want, is for even the basic units, to be interesting to use, and offer tactical choices, which at least based on the info we have, does not seem to be the case in DoW 3.
DoW 2 made even your basic troops very powerful in the right hands, and as such, they were a lot of fun to use, often far more fun to use than the late game "epic" units, that you could just march across the map and point to an enemy to whack.
>>
>>344200004
i know nothing about dawn of war.

I thought it was an rts. This just looks like moba shit. Not interested.
>>
>>344213731
And? DoW3 should have taken the good from both.

DoW1: Base building, unit variation, scale, weapon options, campaign
DoW2: Cover system, RPG system, loot system

Wrap this up in a better engine than DoW2 and keep the gritty art style and it'll be great. Instead, they got DoW1 and went "How can we make this even more casualised?"

It's literally a moving blob of units, with no need to worry about spacing, shooting each other until one side loses. With the person who uses the abilities the best.

Instead of, pinning them in place with heavy weapons, then jumping in and melee, or throwing a grenade to blow up the cover the enemy is hiding behind and shooting them to death, or flanking them so they don't get the cover bonus.

No, we get DoW1 "certain area" cover, which can be destroyed eventually.
>>
>>344214168
How did DoW2 have a bad system?
>>
>>344200004
>not even 30 seconds in
>disclaimer that the eldar are unbalanced

sounds exactly like a dawn of war to me
>>
>>344214390
it had a good system
even DoW1 had an ok-ish system
but the convenient, magical force stations in DoW3 are just retarded
>>
>>344214390
You put your guys into cover and unless you babysit them they will step out of it

Also if you are playing against IG it doesn't matter because their sentinel will stop all over it
>>
>>344214390
The main problem with it, was mostly just units being sorta retarded with actually sticking to the cover.
Other than that, it was fine.
>>
>>344214886
>>344214807
This is what you call "a need for improvement". Which is what they SHOULD have done.
>>
>>344214807
Sentinels were bullshit desu.
No faction had proper anti armor out as quickly as you could get sentinels, and sentinels basically negated your dudes by "lol, stomp" bs and way too powerful laser gun.

Sure, once anyone got actual anti armor on the field, sentinels died if that AA even as much as sneezed at them, but still, they made early game an exercise in frustration.
>>
>>344215438
I think that we can all agree that what relic should have done with DoW 3, is improve upon the good aspects of both DoW 1 and 2.
The unfortunate case is that they chose an easier path, and this is the result.
>>
>>344200004
>>344200004

They need to grime the hell out of the aesthetic, I hope the reason everything looks so cartoony is due to the shading from fighting on an Ice landscape

Them using Blisinksi inspired CG Movies clashes like a motherfucker with any light headed gameplay.
>>
>>344200004
Huh Its a lot more pretty than I expected it to be. I really like how it looks. I hope its not to taxing on my aging computer though.
>>
>>344212378
considering how they added more heroes to that survival mode in dow2, they might be treating heroes like generals/commanders in coh2, they'll add more as the game is released and they'll have different abilities and such.
i just hope you can use them for something else than that survival mode, it was an enjoyable mode with friends but it had a pretty slow ramp up.
>>
>>344211817

Isn't she from an only male knight house though?
>>
>>344217150
No, the house was made up for DoW 3
>>
>>344214248
Basically DOW1 was COH with a 40k skin. It was in a pretty good spot. Not too skill heavy but defiantly rewarded you form tactics and using your sides abilities effectively. DOW2 was made because lol we want to do something different! and the casuals complaining that DOW1 was to involved and it was unfair to new players. It was a lump of shit with next to no redeeming qualities outside of the single player. It was to casual for the DOW1 fans and STILL to skill intensive for casuals. So they made Retribution and somehow made it even MORE casual than vanilla DOW2.

DOW3 is going to be somewhere close to the midpoint between DOW1 and DOW2 Retribution. It could be amazing or absolute dogshit. Most likely the latter with its focus on the hero's. Hero's should be strong yes but a huge swarm of base units should have no problem killing one. This whole "Regular units are filler to distract the enemies hero" stuff they seem to have going on looks fucking horrible.
>>
>>344200004
>Heros 2 powerful
>cover is just a zone on the ground
>NOT correct voice actor for angelos
>summen units directly where you need them for MAX rock paper scissor game play
>base building is just building 3 of the same building

>>344205083
wc3 was about little warbands of useful units, this game is dota since all the little units are just there to take up space
>>
>>344214202
I will miss wiping out elite units with Cultists or Scouts because my opponent is a compstomper.
>>
>>344217517
i think the big issue with heros is you can honestly just box all your units and right click down the hero, it worked well in wc3 because half the units are melee

also in dow1 you can add your guy to a squad to mitigate damage
>>
>>344217517
>A+move bitches boasting how DoW1 is so superior to 2

We can all see matches on jewtube and how shit it was while DoW2 was fast and intensive.
>>
>>344217517
DoW 2 was way more focused on using the abilities of your units and tactical maneuvering than DoW 1 was.

If anything, DoW1 is far less involved unit control wise than DoW 2 is. Unit control is the name of the game in DoW 2.
>>
>>344218354
>fast and intensive

Who said I wanted that. It should only get "fast and intensive" when the game is over. When you have broken the enemy and are moving in for the kill.
>>
>>344218354
dow 2 was better multiplayer dow1 was better single player
>>
>>344218759
Agreed.
DoW 2 singleplayer was tiresome as fuck.
>>
>>344219586
very little work was put into it imo
>>
oh hey it's cynthia 2.0
>>
>>344219586
>co-op
i liked it
>>
>>344219769
un-life yourself imo
>>
>>344219769
I mostly just hated the boss fights that were at the end of basically every single level.
>>
>>344219586
>>344219769
Well I'm autistic and kitting out all the squads was cool but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.
>>
>>344220330
That was fun and all. Unfortunately the missions themselves were very boring and stale.
>>
File: tank.jpg (79 KB, 534x439) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
79 KB, 534x439
will it come back?
>>
>>344214807
Not to mention everyone got some sort of explosive unit at T2 I think that would blast any of what cover remained to shit.
>>
>>344200004
Reminds me of supreme commander when 2 came out and it was all dumbed down. Gameplay and graphics.
>>
>>344200004
all i wanted was DoW 1 with tyranids

i dont want to play fucking warcraft 3 again
>>
>>344200004
I thought relic disbanded ages ago. I doubt any of the same people are even involved
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.