[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With a bit of polish this could have been best crpg of 2015.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: aod.jpg (51 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
aod.jpg
51 KB, 460x215
With a bit of polish this could have been best crpg
of 2015. Why was it so shitposted /v/?
>>
>>344164875
It was the best crpg of 2015 though
>>
>>344165018
came to post this
>>
>>344164875
This game is boring and uninteresting. Nowhere near as good as the CRPGs from the 90s.
>>
Someone needs to mod the absurd skill checks so it's fucking playable.
>>
>>344165293
how is it uninteresting? the writing is better than most of the 90s CRPGs and the setting is more unique.
I think this might be my favorite CRPG ever, but the limited team shows
>>
>>344165460
That's like the best part. managing your skills, specializing, not being someone that can do everything.
If you absolutely must, why not just cheat? you don't need a mod for that
>>
>>344164875
The game defines the term "unpolished gem", there is so much good if you can accept the bad. My favourite game of 2015 for sure
>>
If it wasn't for the pants-on-head dogshit retarded trial and error and being forced into role or else you've made a defunct character where advancing becomes literally impossible, this game would have been okay.

This game is the definition of forced-themepark and linearity.
>>
>>344165997
why shouldnt it be possible to make a character so bad he cant win?
>>
It's a CYOA game whose main mechanic is trial and error. The creator clearly spent so much time in RPGCodex that he forgot to make the game fun.
>>
File: [email protected] (172 KB, 266x266) Image search: [Google]
sorcery-icon@2x.png
172 KB, 266x266
>>344164875
Because there are games that does adventure-like storytelling where you can choose your path ENTIRELY fucking better than this piece of shit.
>>
File: 902157_press01-001.jpg (36 KB, 390x585) Image search: [Google]
902157_press01-001.jpg
36 KB, 390x585
>>344166138
Because I want the option to be a rogue with a battleaxe if I want and not be penalized for it instead of "oops, you didn't choose dagger at start and you now have to specifically choose dagger at this part because in my game thieves use daggers and you should stick to the role and you needed to have this much dagger skill in this point of the game or else you're stuck".
>>
>>344166138
This. The obsidian philosophy of "all builds should be viable" makes the mechanics completely pointless
>>344165997
You're not forced into a role, yoy chose one, and even then, the individual lines of progression aren't linear at all
>>
>>344164875
I read that as you saying the game was severely lacking Poland
>>
>>344166516
What? There's no such point in the game.
>>
>>344164875
was it shitposted?
maybe I wasn't in the threads much but I don't remember that
and if you mean "disliked" probably because you had to specialize hard just to play the game, all rounders got shit on because they were garbage at everything instead of average
>>
>>344166516
>I want to pick a completely unsuitable choice of weapon without consequences
The fuck?
>>
>>344165997
Every time I see that picture I know the post its attached to it is going to say something really stupid.
>>
>>344166516
Reminds me of Josh Sawyer's PoE interviews where he wanted every combo to be viable no matter how retarded it is.
>>
>>344167009
Why even bother making a character then? fuck him
>>
>>344166863
>>344167009
There's a difference between viable and optimal. A viable character will get through tough situations with great difficulty but it won't be FORCED by the game to get cucked due to arbitrary skill checks (AoD).

Besides, is it really an RPG if I have to settle with the archetypes the developers want you to play? I thought RPGs were about freedom.
>>
>>344167403
>rogue with a fucking battleaxe
I wouldn't place this in the viable group, let alone optimal.
>have to settle with the archetypes
You don't, people have managed to get through the games with all kinds of hybrids. It's just harder
>>
>>344167403
no, you're forced into a role, that's why it's a role playing game
>>
>>344167009
Josh Sawyer is responsible for making PoE extremely boring and lacking in personality imo
>>
File: warforged.png (504 KB, 339x585) Image search: [Google]
warforged.png
504 KB, 339x585
>>344167009
He has a fucking point though.

Playing a Barbarian/Sorcerer in DDO where I can wield a two-handed axe, ignite my weapon with flames, and spark flames at close range was the best fucking thing every.

If "non-viability" wasn't an option, I would have never made such a character.
>>
>>344167663
"non-viability" was
>>
D&D is cancer in RPGs today.

Class-less RPG systems are the future. I'm fucking tired of the Wizard/Rogue/Warrior/Knight trope. At least put effort into them having different abilities and not "D&D wth a different name".

I'm glad Tyranny is having class-less systems and experience awarded based your actions instead of quest completion/combat. Fuck that garbage.
>>
The writing was edgy and too watery, limited choices was fun at first but at my second character I got bored to death, combat would have been good if it had some polish, maybe it is now with patches idk. Overall, to mee it seemed like a game for special group of neckbeards even inside the "regular" neckbeards who love 90s wrpgs.
>>
File: AoD GOTY.png (448 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AoD GOTY.png
448 KB, 1920x1080
great game, shame it took him so long to develop, I beat it 6 times, really enjoyed myself and the trial and error gameplay, I must of restarted the first part 100 times trying to get everything perfect, then moving onto the next 2 cities and all the other places in the world map to max out on skill points to pass hard fights/checks.

This game made you feel fucking good when you became a hard ass killer, in the beginning fighting those 2 thieves with knives and you almost die, by the end if you make your character right you're shredding entires camps full of bad guys and barely sweating.
>>
>>344166516
>Because I want the option to be a rogue with a battleaxe
15 year old mouthbreather detected
>>
>>344167252
You have this completely backwards. If only certain builds are viable, then the game should just have set characters to choose from. The whole point of making your own character is that you don't stick to prescribed convention.
>>
>>344168458
This guy gets it. YOU CAN'T SEE THE ABYSS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STAT I SAID SO I DECIDE WHAT IS NON LINEAR GAME JUST NIGGA DROP THE QUEST LIKE WALK OUT OF THE MONITOR HAHA.
>>
>>344168371
>if I want

Doesn't mean I want to, it should be an option, you fucking sperg.
>>
>>344168005
>D&D is cancer in RPGs today.

>D&D
>Today's RPG

choose fucking one

today's RPG is an action game with a simple level up system
>>
>>344168216
I've just gotten out of teron for the first time and with an assassin. Felt very satisfying to overcome some of those battles especially because the odds were heavily stacked against you.
>>
>>344168458
>>344168661
But making a viable character is part of the gameplay. And you're blowing it way out of proportion, ALL situations have multiple solutions, and even multiple different paths if you can't solve it in any of those ways.
>>
>>344165018
This
>>
>>344168005
>combat shouldn't give any experience

where did this retarded idea even come from?
>>
Guys this is relevant to my interests. I played the demo and saw some potential. Those of you that like the game, what do you like about it? Should I play it? If I should, pls tell me important things I should know.
>>
>>344168924
swapping out one weapon for another doesn't seem like something that should render your character non-viable.
>>
>best crpg 2015
>when Shadowrun HK was released
haha oh wow

this is what happens when /pol/... I mean, rpgcodex, makes a game
>>
>>344169107
it doesn't, if you didn't build your character around mastery of that weapon.
>>
>>344169109
HK wasn't even in the league of AoD
And I liked HK
>>
>>344169054
never said that.
>>
>>344168924
Yeah you can walk away. Is it a solution irl? Sure. In dnd? Maybe but gm should play it out. In a game? Not so much because people play rpgs, computer or video rpgs, for quests and gameplay mainly not actual role playing and to be honest quite autistic role playing. You know I have two friends who are in their late 20s and still play dnd with their buddies. One company is just fun to be around and drink beer while they're playing because they're on ADVENTURE. Fairytale adventure. The other is try hard faggot with edgy grimdork stories like in aod and sometimes I think they just roleplay some cool anime characters. AOD looks like second friend.
>>
>>344169374
>>344169109
Pillars of Eternity was better than both, as was Underrail
>>
>>344169536
I don't see why it's such a problem that you can't fix every fucking situation. it gives it a unique level of replayability, and it has the story to carry that amount of replayability.
I don't see how it's edgy grimdork either.
>>
>>344169079
It's interesting and unusual. If you don't have certain stats for quests or dialogues you can never complete them. And you don't know what stats do you need. Of course you can finish game without those quests but it will be very short.
>>
>>344169665
AoD was waaay better than PoE. As was Underrail, but not quite as much.
>>
>>344169374
>>344169665
Comparing apples to burgers here.
>>
>>344164875
The much advertised non-combat playthroughs were absolute shit with nothing but trial and error
>save all skill points instead of using them on the spot because there's no way to know which skills will be useful (especially since some of them like Streetwise is used literally everywhere whereas shit like Traps and Etiquette have only 2 or so notable low level checks) and if you don't you'll end up having to restart the entire game at some point
>fail skill check
>reload and retry with 1 more level in the required skill
>fail skill check
>reload and retry with 2 more levels in the required skill
>repeat until successful
that is the "roleplaying depth" of every single non-combat character, especially because failure almost always leads to failed quest, guild kick, unavoidable combat (also unwinnable for non-combat characters) or just plain instant death. Instead of coming up with an unique character the game is more of a CYOA with arbitrary locks. This is especially troubling since unlike, f.ex. New Vegas where all skill checks rely on skills that actually provide tangible benefits outside dialogue (aside from Speech), Age of Decadence has shittons of skills that are only ever used in dialogue and nowhere else. Granted there were some amusing moments and good flavor text, but after your first playthrough you quickly notice the game becomes nothing but a side quest and SP shopping list simulator.

Combat was actually pretty good due to abundance of meaningful non-random encounters, various different weapons (though you can only focus on one due to lack of SP), 2 different defensive options, crafting, all sorts of tools that encourage you to play dirty (though poisons are so OP it's not even funny) and some actually great and noticeable end game loot such as the Power Armor, physical stat increasing injections. The setting and lore was also pretty neat, which aside from combat character building was the only thing to keep me playing.
>>
>>344169698
Replayability in the same locations same gameplay and more or less same story? Sorry it is not diablo like game or even something like blade of darkness/souls where characters really differ. I don't like this word and we all know it's a buzzword but even to me it seems somewhat autistic. I understand that to each his own but in that case that game shouldn't be called one of the greatest rpgs ever made because it's a very niche product.
>>
>>344170075
>Replayability in the same locations same gameplay and more or less same story?
those are all incorrect.
>>
savescum paradise meme ass RNG CYOA skill check shit ""YOU CANT DO ANYTHING""" gayme.
it sucks.
>>
>>ITT non-specialized fags getting triggered
>>
>>344170201
Oh sorry you can get to monastery in one playthrough and can't do that in other and of course you can finish the game in 3 hours with non combat playthrough. It's great when those are side options not core gameplay.
>>
>>344170070
DELET THIZ
>>
I fucking love that we get enough CRPGs each year now that you can actually argue which was the best properly.

Like god damn the mid 00s to 2014 was rough on the genre and it's great that it's come back
>>
>>344170376
What does specialized mean? How many skills should I be focusing on?
>>
>>344170735
Well desu all those new rpgs were not so good either. It's beggars c bean't choosers all right but still.
>>
>>344164875
>>344165018
Underrail was
>>
>>344170735
anything good other than age of dec?
>>
>>344170837
You should save sp and then savescum. Not joking. After you first-second playthrough you will know what you need by yourself and make a playable character.
>>
>>344170281
That's pretty much every crpg ever though
>>
>>344171074
>everyone keeps talking about Underrail
>check it out
>fuckugly art-style makes it look worse than old Fallouts
W-wew lads.
>>
>>344171189
Underrail. shadowrun dragonfall and maybe honk kong, pillars of eternity but I think it's boring as hell, divinity OS EE, wasteland 2 EE, lisa. That big german story mode for oblivion also forget it's name.
>>
>>344164875
Because the combat is pure shit
If you want to fight you are usually forced to go against entire hordes of enemies while you the player are stuck with a single character for no in game reason other than artificial difficulty
The system is also shit, you cannot make a character that's both good at melee and talking almost as if they were mutually exclusive. The only way to mix is to have lots of megataming info as to which combos work best and when to increase certain stats
>>
>>344171289
That seems ridiculous. Any sane tabletop system will give you some general guidelines so you can know what is required for an easy/average/difficult check. Does AoD not provide this?
>>
>>344171537
some i havent heard of (not following vidya world much these days), starting with underrail then thanks
>>
>>344171351
Gameplay wise it's worse than skyrim.
>>
>>344171351
I didnt mind the artstyle because i played the older Fallouts, Underrail is a great RPG that kinda shits the bed in the last section of the game with a long ass map filled to the brim of shit that is trying to kill you.
>>
>>344171620
Oh that mod's name, Nehrim, I remembered.
>>
The AoD Ascension end and the way to is one of the best ever made.

It is amazing story telling and anyone who hasn't done it is seriously missing out. All thet lore, and the reward at the ends is simplying stunning.
>>
>>344172008
lol that actually got released? remember hearing of that a long fucking time ago
>>
>>344171612
Nope. Just that skill is not high enough.
>>
>>344172105
Yeah around 3 years ago.
>>
>>344171537
divinity OS was mediocrity at its best , and I will never see how anyone who has played even a single decent crpg before can consider that it is remotely good
and lisa is not a crpg
>>
>>344172190
What's the maximum skill level attainable? And what do you start at?
>>
>>344172504
10 is max if I remember correctly. Different starting presets have different starting conditions and factions.
>>
>>344171074
t. RPGCodex
>>
What are the differences in Divinity Enhanced?
I think I only played the original up to whatever is past the first town
>>
>>344172462
It had more gameplay and fun then all other "true" rpgs.
>>
>>344172750
Texts, graphics, stability, some changes in stats. Not so big as in wasteland 2 ee but the later is still shit tho.
>>
>>344172462
It had good combat and fun co-op. Not what I'd consider a great rpg, but I still enjoyed it.
>>
>>344172731
many people here are. They're very easy to spot
>>
>>344173191
Teach me how.
>>
>>344173283
/v/ is literally RPGCodex.
Why do you think everyone started hating Obsidian at the exact same time RPGCodex started shitting on them?
Coincidentally, both /v/ and Codex suck Avellone's dick dry all day, even though he hasn't made anything good since KotOR 2.
>>
>>344173797
new vegas was good. and south park.
>>
>>344172008
>>344172105
niggas it got released like 6 years ago.
The sequel just hit us 3'ish days ago, I'm just waiting for the english language pack...
>>
>>344165997
>being forced into role or else you've made a defunct character where advancing becomes literally impossible
God forbid roleplaying games require roleplaying.

And just for your information, every character is able to finish the game- a premature death also counts as an ending.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-06-30 13-55-06-01.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-06-30 13-55-06-01.jpg
348 KB, 1920x1080
Please recommed me a nice western RPG with lots of places to explore, secrets, no level scaling and at least some halfway decent roleplaying
>>
>>344166516
There are no dagger skill checks, only critcal strike checks.

If you made an assasin unable to kill people then you have only yourself to blame. Not to mention in most cases a failed CS check means just combat.
>>
>>344166516
>Because I want the option to be a rogue with a battleaxe
What's next, an archer throwing his bow at the enemy?
>>
>>344169054
World of Darkness games are kind of like that. You could only gain experience after the completion of a scenario.

Typically in video games the point of only giving quest XP is to promote multiple types of playstyle. So you won't just pass a skill check but then immediately force combat for experience points.
Or don't bother inputting in passwords and just hack everything for exp.
Or just grind for XP to brute force your way through the game.

POE however just made it so enemies only give limited amount of experience points before you stop learning from.

In Gothic II, enemies don't respawn, so you can't grind.

In the Witcher series, enemies gives less and less experience points (until it is almost nothing) as you become strong.
>>
>>344174475
Morrowind.
>>
>>344174302
>every character is able to finish the game- a premature death also counts as an ending.
Please stop posting right now Kotaku.
>>
>>344174728
>In Gothic II, enemies don't respawn
they do with the beginning of a new chapter.
>>
>>344173941
Avellone didn't write vanilla New Vegas or South Park.
>>
>>344174302
Turning off the PC too!
>>
>>344174834
But it's true.

AoD doesn't have one definite ending, you don't even need to find the Ziggurat to finish the game.
>>
File: sLe13h3.jpg (195 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
sLe13h3.jpg
195 KB, 1224x1445
>>344175025
Last I checked turning the PC off wasn't a part of the gameplay that gave meaningful closure to your adventure.
>>
>>344175170
Really? Wow. So the true endind of max payne could be that that he got shot in his appartment with wife and daughter. Wow... Really makes you think...
>>
File: 20140711[1].png (220 KB, 750x1110) Image search: [Google]
20140711[1].png
220 KB, 750x1110
>>344175170
Seeing the mostly same and recycled death flavor text isn't some deep choice or stellar game design on the part of the developers.
>>
>>344175358
But it is. I roleplayed so. It's an option. It ends the game.
>>
>>344173797
It's impossible to respect the codex after that "top 86 rpgs of all time" thing they did. Dark Souls, Wizardry 4, System Shock and Anachronox make the list but no Chrono Trigger? Not even Grandia since the codex has to be oh so contrary? No, can't ever praise anything Japanese unless it's Dark Souls because it's a mature game for mature gamers such as myself. So stupid.
>>
>>344175170
>finished AoD twice
>not touched any of the supernatural stuff or whatever the fuck it is
just wasnt interested and didnt make sense for my characters, loved the game tho
>>
>>344175508
It's not roleplaying if it's not a part of the game mechanics and contents.

Ending the game with turning the PC off is just you being retarded and making shit up.
>>
Alright. I'm interested in AoD.
Please give me a build that'll make the game easy and possibly allow for the most supernatural/elrdritch shit possible
I sincerely don't want to go through the classic "you didn't invest in XYZ because of you didn't metagame enough therefore your character is shit"
>>
>>344175381
Last I checked max payne was a linear shooter, not an RPG.
>>
>>344175762
Fuck you it's roleplaying you just don't have high enough stats so you can't see that option retard fucking normie reeeee.
>>
>>344174728
>Can't grind
>In Gothic 2
Grinding is the only way to beat the game in Gothic 2, if you aren't killing every single enemy before the end of every chapter then you won't stand a chance against the orcs and the dragons. That's the main reason I preferred G1. G2 felt like it was balanced around killing every possible enemy and finding every tiny hidden side quest. Still a good game with spectacular level design but I'd take G1 over it any day.
>>
>>344176012
It;s an rpg/ You have a choice to die.
>>
File: 2016-02-29_00001.jpg (411 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-29_00001.jpg
411 KB, 1920x1080
>>344176006
>Please give me a build that'll make the game easy and possibly allow for the most supernatural/elrdritch shit possible
>>
>>344176158
The story doesn't react to your death in any meaningful way.

You fail to understand that death in linear shooters is merely a fail state/reset button while AoD treats death as a final step of your specific playthrough.
>>
>>344176232
Thanks anon but how exactly is it at character creation?
In what do I invest when leveling? I'm guessing there's an order considering how autistic the game is regarding skillchecks
>>
>>344176006
>>344176468
>Please give me a build that'll make the game easy
Combat: Invest in Alchemy (poisons) and one defensive skill (dodge or block, not both), hit enemy once and dodge / block until the end of time.
Non-combat: Don't spend any of your skill points, ever. See >>344170070 for 100% fool proof guide on how to handle every non-combat encounter in the game.

>most supernatural/elrdritch shit possible
More dependent on factions. Pick Loremaster start, then join the Aurelians ASAP (few side quests in starter town like the Outpost for non-combat characters and Assassin quest for combat characters let you join Aurelians early) and stay always loyal to Gaellius for most key items.
>>
>>344176440
Are you retarded? It says the snow was heavy but I couldn't go on... or some shit like that. Geez fucking normies that don't even know about good roleplay lmao plebs.
>>
>>344176158
lol
>>
>>344176673
Also forgot to mention, for most supernatural/elrdritch shit you need max INTELLIGENCE, PERCEPTION and preferably constitution if going for combat (also required for few endings) or charisma if leaning more on non-combat.

You can't level your starting attributes (only skills) after characters creation apart from few, very rare and hard to get treasures that are more geared towards combat characters anyways since they only let you increase physical attributes.
>>
>>344167403
You can play anything you want. Just so happened you rolled loser.
>>
File: preporuka.jpg (1 MB, 2004x2742) Image search: [Google]
preporuka.jpg
1 MB, 2004x2742
>>344174475
>>
File: 20160707201424_1.jpg (378 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160707201424_1.jpg
378 KB, 1920x1080
>>344176468
The build I posted was actually very specific and aimed at deafeating the final boss while still being able to experience all of the Old World stuff (supernatural/elrdritch shit).

Here is a more well-rounded version that should work for you.

Keep crossbow skill high at all times, aim to have it at 10.

Keep lore high at all times, aim to have it at 8-9.

Crafting should be high at all times but it's not as crucial, aim at 8.

Dodge is important bout not as important as crossbow skill, it should always be a little below crossbow skill. Aim at 10.

Alchemy is in this build just so you can use poisons and pass a few checks with it. 4 is eonugh for the whole game, you might take more if you have any spare points.

You mayn also invedt in critical strike to be better at combat but it's not necessary on crossbow builds, unless you want to kil lthe final boss (which is pretty hard, I don't reccommend it until you finsih the game a few times)

Generally crossbow/dodge keep you alive during combat while lore/crafting let you interact with Old World stuff.

As for the faction choice, start as a loremaster and try to join Aurelian House as >>344176673
said.
>>
>>344177703
Also, 8 INT won't be enough to read a few pre-war logs.

You can take one point from CON and put it in INT if you want but it will make combat harder. Your choice.

10 INT is pretty useless, it only lets you use a teleport that doesn't add anything meaningful to the game.
>>
File: jpeg.jpg (824 KB, 1826x886) Image search: [Google]
jpeg.jpg
824 KB, 1826x886
fun game, looking forward to the dungeon crawler
>>
>>344177703
>aimed at deafeating the final boss
Not really worth it. You get the same exact result from blowing the place up with Lore and Crafting, which you don't even have to do unless you're doing Pro-Balzaar ending. Also, if you're really hellbent on fighting it you can cheese the whole battle with hoarding shittons of rock oil and making enough Liquid Fire to burn the whole world down.
>>
File: 2016-01-16_00003.jpg (383 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-16_00003.jpg
383 KB, 1152x864
Underrail was the better RPG of '15
>>
>>344177662
>half life 2 instead of half life
>>
>>344178485
>Not really worth it
Define "worth it".

Yes, you can destroy/ignore the temple of cheese the fight with bombs but I wanted to have the satisfaction from killing one of the Gods by putting a bolt shot from a pre-war nail gun in his artery.
>>
>>344178687
>gun build
>not psychic punch build
>>
File: 2016-01-30_00017.jpg (219 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-30_00017.jpg
219 KB, 1152x864
>>344179203
not that fun desu senpai
especially after the Combo nerf baka
>>
File: I did it.jpg (59 KB, 368x128) Image search: [Google]
I did it.jpg
59 KB, 368x128
>>344179203
>psychic punch build
>not sniper build
>>
>>344178485
If you are going by that logic then literally nothing but the God ending is worth it.
>>
File: 1453573024120.png (109 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1453573024120.png
109 KB, 358x358
>Some Men Just Want to Watch the World Burn ending requirements
>Fully activating the Arch and Aegis of the Magi requirements
>>
>>344180245
But are pretty easy though.

Hell I got the Some Men Just Want to Watch the World Burn because I literally played an asshat who just wanted to watch the world burn.
>>
>>344175509
JRPGs are not RPGs.
>>
>>344175509
The only thing JRPGs have in common iwth roleplaying is the name of the genre. They are just glorified adventure games.

I don't consider Dark Souls to be a real roleplaying game either though so yeah that list sounds retarded.
>>
>>344164875
Nothing more than a shitty hipster game.
>>
>>344168005
Classless is overrated. Wizardry 8 has the perfect character building system.
>>
>>344181950
>Classless is overrated
How?

Give me one advantage that class system has over classless system.

All class system does is put restrictions that don't make any goddamn sense.
>>
>>344174865
New enemies spawn at the start of new chapters. Snappers will be replaced with Dragon Snappers near onar's farm later on in the game and things like that.
>>
>>344182239
It's flawed. You think 'endless possibilities' but hardcore tryhards will do the math and find out there is an objective 3-7 best possible builds for everything and those will be the unofficial classes for the top players.
>>
>>344182239
Balance
Unique abilities that apply to specific archetypes instead of blending them all into uninteresting trees like D:OS
Classes being recognized by the game and being given different quests
Can mitigate min/max faggotry
>>
>>344182909
What you are describing is a balance issue, not a inherent flaw of the classless system.

Not to mention this also applies to class systems as well, just look at wizards form D&D.

Also roleplaying games are not supposed to be competetive.
>>
>>344182515
>there is an objective 3-7 best possible builds for everything and those will be the unofficial classes for the top players.
And? You haven't described any problem unique to classless systems.
>>
>>344183187
>Balance
Classless systems can be balanced, it's just harder. All you are saying is people who design class systems are lazy.

>Unique abilities that apply to specific archetypes instead of blending them all into uninteresting trees like D:OS
You don't need to base abilities on class , you can base them on skill requirements.

>Classes being recognized by the game and being given different quests
Can be achieved by having a proper faction system.

>Can mitigate min/max faggotry
This is the same as your "balance" argument.

You can't find anyting with the classless system because real life uses a classless system. It just makes sense.

On the other hand paladin not being able to learn how to pick locks because LOL YOU ARE A PALADIN doesn't.
>>
>>344182909
>there is an objective 3-7 best possible builds for everything and those will be the unofficial classes for the top players
I don't think you understand how roleplaying works.
>>
>>344182909
>implying this is not the case with class systems as well
That crossbow class in NWN sure was viable.

Oh wait.
>>
>>344164875
I'm a sucker for Rome and roman politics, is this a game for me?
>>
>>344164875
>With a bit of polish

The guy has been polishing the game for like 10 years now. Be glad it was released at all.
>>
File: lol2.gif (118 KB, 600x857) Image search: [Google]
lol2.gif
118 KB, 600x857
>>344177662
>/v/ essentials
>bunch of hipster titles

*YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN*
>>
>>344184761
It's not historical Rome, just very similiar to it.

It does have a lot of intrigue and politics though so yeah, you can work for noble houses to further their agenda.
>>
>>344178687
I loved underrail to bits but I just can't understand liking it better than AoD
>>
>>344185210
AoD is basically a niche within a niche.
>>
Anyone else get the vibe that the old empire was technologically way more advanced than it god credit and there was no such thing as magic, they just meddled too much with inter-dimensional tech?
>>344184976
they're not that obscure
>>
>>344183948
this desu.
New Vegas is the perfect example.
>>
>>344174743
>no level scaling
>>
>>344185621
>Anyone else get the vibe that
No.

It's not just a vibe, it's fact. The Old Empire was just very technologically advanced, to the point where they were able to contact primordial beings floating in the space and bring them to Earth.

Google Clarke's three laws
>>
>>344185970

Morrowind doesn't have level scaling, if I recall correctly. A few dungeons just have different enemies in them depending on your level. The enemies themselves don't scale.
>>
Gothic 2
>>
File: 1466370987738.jpg (70 KB, 480x813) Image search: [Google]
1466370987738.jpg
70 KB, 480x813
>on the mission where you raid the religious city
>after 10+ saves finally kill all the enemies in the battle with just a little health left to spare
>a fucking commander boss comes out with a 2-handed scimitar
>>
>>344186695
derp. meant for >>344174475
>>
>>344186789
I remeber that fight.

Was pretty easy with the Bolter, just one/two shooting everything with arterial strikes.
>>
>>344174475
Underrail.
>>
File: 594992050_preview_Cavers.jpg (901 KB, 2138x1411) Image search: [Google]
594992050_preview_Cavers.jpg
901 KB, 2138x1411
>>344187150
>>
>>344187150
>>344187272
It's literally skyrim without open world. Dungeon cleaning.
>>
>>344187657
The world is pretty damn open after Depot A, you can go literally anywhere.
>>
File: 1378258026733.jpg (105 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1378258026733.jpg
105 KB, 900x900
>>344187657
>Its literally Skyrim without the open world
>>
>>344187657
So it's literally Skyrim with guns?
>>
>>344187657
It's not remotely like skyrim.
>>
>>344188276
Remove open world from skyrim. What would be left?
>>
File: greatest role playing rpg game.png (162 KB, 331x549) Image search: [Google]
greatest role playing rpg game.png
162 KB, 331x549
>>344180635

I find that somewhat hard to believe since killing everyone would either require some freakish blind luck or metagame knowledge of how to encounter and fuck everyone.

Still got a few more playthroughs to do. Especially since the last time I played for real and finished a game was before they expanded the endings.
>>
>>344164875
>UR NOT A HERO
>U CAN'T BEAT HORDES OF ENEMIES

Ok, I understand, but if I make a combat-oriented character there should be a way to win, at least 2v1 fights. If me and my pal were to fight a MMA champion we would surely get blown the fuck out.

Now that we understand that you can't possibly win fights in the game, you turn to a diplomacy-type character, and get through the story by passing every skill check during conversations, which is the very deffinition of "click to win". But of course, if your character is a full-on diplomat trying to bullshit his way out of everything, we will make sure late in the game there is a skill check required for the plot and which is slightly off for your character. Got 9 speech and 4 knowledge of whatever? Tough shit, you needed 8 speech and 5 knowledge of whatever, time to make a new game and tune better the character.

Let's face it, the game had very good ideas, the setting and the story can be interesting, but the design of the battle system and the skill checks were horrendous and kill the experience. With just a little work it could be much, much better.
>>
File: 1465336754528.jpg (94 KB, 535x498) Image search: [Google]
1465336754528.jpg
94 KB, 535x498
>>344187657
>It's literally skyrim
>>
>>344177662

>preporuka.jpg

mame ti ga spopandrcim
>>
File: 1427010621101.jpg (116 KB, 1364x768) Image search: [Google]
1427010621101.jpg
116 KB, 1364x768
>>344164875
i like my crpg to have party members, preferably 5 friends to go with me on my adventure

i was spoiled by BG and planescape i guess, now i cant do with out em
>>
>>344188452
Final Fantasy 2?
>>
>>344188668
>Enhanced Edition
I'm sorry.
>>
>>344188564
>Ok, I understand, but if I make a combat-oriented character there should be a way to win, at least 2v1 fights. If me and my pal were to fight a MMA champion we would surely get blown the fuck out.
if you make a good character you'll eventually absolutely stomp most characters.
>>
>>344188564

But anon, you can beat hordes of enemies. You just have to git gud. And once you've gitten enough gud you'll have the skill points to have combat skills high enough to take on 10-20 dudes fairly easily.
>>
>>344188668
I usually can't get behind party members. especially when there's multiple optional members, it totally ruins the way devs can write the game.
And I like to be immersed into, y'know, a ROLE, not 5
>>
>>344188748
just a screen cap of my fav quest, i still own all the original CDs
>>
>>344188558
>I find that somewhat hard to believe since killing everyone would either require some freakish blind luck or metagame knowledge of how to encounter and fuck everyone.
Guess I was just lucky.

I wanted to make a combat build that would also be able to do the Abyss since I failed the PER checks in my last run. Joining the IG was a no brainer for an almost pure combat build, IQ are pretty edgy so I figured I might be an asshat as well.
>>
>>344188715
Dungeons and caves you morron.
>>
>>344188564
>Now that we understand that you can't possibly win fights in the game

Look at the body count in >>344176232 and kindly shut the fuck up.
>>
>>344188558
> they expanded the endings
How?
>>
>>344188564

If you've made a pure combat character and are still getting your ass kicked, it's because you haven't yet learned the combat system.

As for the skillcheck, it helps if you cite the exact check in question, otherwise there might be a different way around it that you didn't discover.
>>
>>344188870
>>344188850
If making a good character is equal to following a ridiculously specific build and use huge amounts of cheese tactics to get through the early game, then sure you can.

You couldn't play a jack-of-all-trades type anyway, you can't be a fairly smart guy who is also handy with a blade, because both of them are useless, you are either a genius in one field and completely impaired in another, or you can't get neither through the skill-checks nor the combat
>>
>>344189692
>If making a good character is equal to following a ridiculously specific build and use huge amounts of cheese tactics to get through the early game, then sure you can.
There is a fuck ton of build that can easily beat the game, be it pure combat/talker or hybrids.

>You couldn't play a jack-of-all-trades type anyway, you can't be a fairly smart guy who is also handy with a blade
Pic related and >>344176232 prove you wrong.

Keep trying.
>>
>>344189692
>If making a good character is equal to following a ridiculously specific build and use huge amounts of cheese tactics to get through the early game, then sure you can.
it's not. Just don't be a total idiot and you'll be fine.
>>
how many arcanum references are in this game?
>>
>>344189595

Not entirely sure since I haven't played since then, but they added more text to shit. They also expanded playing the "Chosen one" a bit I hear.

"5) Expanded Endings

If you always wanted to know what the Zamedi demon is up to (and other memorable characters you've met on your journey), well, now you can. As requested."

>>344189653

To be fair, pure combat characters still have it rough in Teron because you're still poorly equipped and relatively unskilled. By the time you finish Teron you're starting to become a murder machine though.

>>344189692

Ridiculously specific build such as "I am going to level a weapon and a defense skill". You also can dabble in non-combat skills as a fighter. Fight-talker gets some cool options in the imperial guard story, it's just that you want to get your fight shit tamped down first.
>>
>>344189386
have you never played a dungeon crawler before?
>>
>>344189415
>Crossbow and critical strike maxed out
>Perception maxed out

I am sure this guy never savescummed his way until he was a powerhouse nor cheesed through any tough/close quarters fight. Yes, it can be done, but it's neither fun nor interesting if you have to know what kind of fights await you and use such a narrow spectrum of skills.
>>
>>344190375
he probably didn't savescum so much as do something entirely different in his first run and then figure out what to do from there to take his ideal route.
The thing is, it's actually pretty easy to complete the game one way or another, there's nothing wrong with the more grandiose endings requiring more effort.
if you're such an incompetent that this genuinely bothers you, just open cheat engine, give yourself max points in everything, become a god, do whatever you want, realize how much you're missing out
>>
>>344190201
They are not rpgs.
>>
>>344190375
>I am sure this guy never savescummed his way until he was a powerhouse
Actually I am this guy.

I was a powerhouse right from the beginning, losing fights very rarely.

>nor cheesed through any tough/close quarters fight
What exactly do you mean by "cheesed"?

The only fight that were tough for this kind of build were fights in tight rooms that I handled with either Liquid Flame/Bombs or the Bolter later on. Both of those were used exactly as intended.

Also, first you say it's impossible to fight, then when proved wrong you damage control by saying it's possible but not fun. Make up your fucking mind.

>Yes, it can be done, but it's neither fun nor interesting if you have to know what kind of fights await you
You don't need to know what awaits you exactly but yes you do have to understand the mechanics to get better at the game.

If the concept of "learning curve" is unfun to you then you should just stop playing vidya altogether.

>and use such a narrow spectrum of skills
See pic in >>344189960
The guy has 300+ body count with no defensive skills whatsoever.
>>
the combat is so clunky, its even worse than Pillars of Eternity. How do you guys even play it?
>>
>>344191491
I bet you'd fucking self-destruct at the "clunky"ness of chess.
>>
File: cd3.jpg (20 KB, 467x325) Image search: [Google]
cd3.jpg
20 KB, 467x325
>>344191491
>>
>>344191287
Yes, I will admit that you obviously know much more of the combat system than I do, because you have put much more effort into it. The "can't be done" was a hyperbole, to compare the combat path to the dialogue path, which is 100% clicking to the obvious response until you get a skill-check you can't pass.

Needing to know what you are up against before-hand is not "learning curve" though, it's trial and error gameplay. These are not the same thing, you are supposed to be able to adapt to the situation as it comes, not just die, go buy certain items or grind for one more point for the combat or the skill-check and come back.

That being said, I will admit that you have a point, which is that I didn't investigate the mechanics of the game too deeply. I will probably try the game again with one of these builds, just because I love you assholes and because the game does have good points.
>>
File: useless.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
useless.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
>>344189692

>Useless
>>
>>344190375
>narrow spectrum of skills
Have you even looked at that guys pic?

He had enough points to max crossbows, max dodge, max critical strike, get 6 in both bows and throwing (probably for the synergy bonuses, could be spend somewhere else) 8 in lore and 4 in both alchemy/crafting.

He could very well spend those bow/throwing points into crafting/alchemy to nearly ax them out too. Hell he could spend them into streetwise and make a hybrid talker/fighter/loremaster.

You are full of shit.
>>
>>344192515
Nice.

Your body count could a lot higher though, step it up.
>>
>>344192472
>Needing to know what you are up against before-hand is not "learning curve" though, it's trial and error gamepla
why do you keep claiming this when literally everyone keeps telling you that's not the case?
>>
Is battle system in Dead State on par with AoD? It has the same engine and mechanics.
>>
>>344193113
He's right.
>>
>>344192472
>Needing to know what you are up against before-hand is not "learning curve" though, it's trial and error gameplay.
I'm not talking about meta.

I'm talking about the fact that you do need to die a few times at first to learn the game mechanics. Once you win a few fights with multiple deaths you will understand what works and what doesn't for your build.

After that you should start winning new fights with no deaths.

I think a big mistake new players do is underestimate the potential of utilties such as nets/bolas/posions/bombs etc.

Also positioning. A lot of fights can be made a lot easier if you manipulate your enemies into being exactly where you want them to be.

Things like area denial with liquid fire, making use of the doorways to fight one enemy at a time, using the "grab" attack to switch places with your enemy are all a godsend.
>>
>>344193113
I also agree with him
>>
>>344192759
Are you stupid? The guy's build is obviously effective but it IS narrow. Everything is invested into maximizing ranged combat damage output, that includes crafting and alchemy. The only thing that doesn't go directly into ranged combat is the 8 points of lore and the 4 of lockpicking, and he probaby got the 8 lore because he already had more damage than he knew what to do with in the late game.

I may be full of shit, but you are missing the point, which makes you just as retarded.
>>
>>344168458
>>344168661
viable =/= YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING

No, your 4 CON character can't go into the abyss, because he's too weak. On your next playthrough, maybe make a character strong enough to enter it. That strong character will probably be too dumb or slow to do some other thing in the game. That's how RPGs are supposed to work.

There seems to be a lot of equating "I don't like it" with "it's bad" in this thread. AoD is a very niche game and if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. Doesn't make it a bad game.
>>
>>344193537
>>344193938
you're bad at the game then.
>>
>>344194140
Do you really think lots of people enjoy playing the same offline one player only game again and again?
>>
>>344193767
>Things like area denial with liquid fire, making use of the doorways to fight one enemy at a time, using the "grab" attack to switch places with your enemy are all a godsend.
This.

I remember playing a ranged build and being ambushed by a team of 2 tanky melee fighters and 2 archers.

The archers were hidden behind a barricade and the only way past it was blocked by the fighters.

My first though was to try bola/net fighters and take care of the archer first but it didn't work out, I just couldn't dish enough damage fast enough.

After few failed attempts I figured I could simply switch places with one of the fighters and throw liquid fire to keep them out of the barricade, basically giving me 3 turns to take care of the archers AND gain enough distance from the fighters to finish them off after that.

It worked.
>>
>>344194247
Oh wow so every other rpg ever made is wrong but this shitty game design is great and it's you people suck? K. I may suck but so does the game design.
>>
>>344194352
I enjoyed it a lot.
And it's hardly the same game, the vast majority of the game will be different with different builds.
>>
Been a long time since I played but.. what was up with the dude next to the religious leader? the guy that could stare at you and you'd freeze? I remember making a character that spooked him, but the details are fuzzy.
>>
>>344164875
Are you retarded? See >>344165018

Also, CTRL+F'ing RPGCodex mentions to see how much butthurt /v/ermin is talking shit about Elite Intellectual HQ of the Internet
>>344166182
^this is a butthurt Biodrone
>>344169109
>calling RPGCodex "/pol/"
Sulimo/kingcomrade/Trash detected
>>344172731
nah, even Codex agrees Age of Decadence > Underrail
>>344173797
this is actually by far the worst insult to RPGCodex in this thread, kill yourself
>at the exact same time RPGCodex started shitting on them?
because FUCKING NOBODY liked Pillars of Eternity? it was almost as big of a scam as Wasteland 2
>>
>>344194518
I finished it 6 times. Lost any interest on second playthrough but you faggots kept saying wait it'll get good soon. It's very, very niche game inside niche games.
>>
>>344193224

It's similar, but the guns and armor fuck with the balance. It's super easy for zombies to become a non-issue, and it falls into the "This is a more betterer gun" instead of keeping weapons on a relatively even playing field apart from tactical differences.

There was a lot of potential in Dead State but the combat balance is fucky, the base management is mostly pointless, there isn't enough character fluff to make you give much of a shit, and the game drags on way longer than it really should.
>>
>>344194049
This build was made specifically to kill the final boss since he is VERY hard to kill with ranged builds.

Normally I wouldn't put a single point into boq/throwing/critical strike, that's al ot of points.

Also crafting wasn't taken for combat, 4 is not enough to be meaningful. I took it because I wanted to interact with pre-war stuff, that's why I have 8 lore too.
>>
>>344194687

Has the Codex collapsed since I left yet? I reckon it has.
>>
Despite the memes, is Pillars of Eternity good?

In context I didn't finish Divinity OS:EE cause (with most of eveyrone else) story was a tad boring and combat started to get stale because how easy thigns were getting/slow progession past coming back from frozen realm
>>
>>344167009

Sawyer is literally THE SATAN that killed Obsidian and made MCA leave the company

I wish I could Allah Akbar after giving Sawyer a real tight hug
>>
>>344194687
Are you retarded? See>>344166182
>>
>>344194868
It's baldur's gate 1.
>>
>>344194915

Look, you subhuman little cunt. Your favorite RPG ever made is either some Bioware shit, some Bethesda (((sandbox))) or a degenerate JRPG.

You are not a real RPG fan, nor do you know what an RPG means. You eat anything that's shit as long as the Lugenpresse tells you it's good.
>>
>>344194868

It got better after patches. The DLC/expansion isn't really worth it though and completely fucks over the progression, I would actually suggest skipping it. It still has 0 consequences for your actions during the story, a really lame villain, an incredibly generic setting, and a supremely disappointing stronghold. Despite all that it's still tolerable to mash through once for cheap.

>>344195046

That's just insulting to BG1, anon.
>>
>>344194687
I know this is a shitpost but RPGCodex is genuinely better than /v/ on average.
>>
>>344194868
As an Obsidian fanboy I have to say it's decent, but not amazing. The story takes a lot of time to get going, the combat is harder than it should be, the fantasy is mostly generic, some of the characters are plain shit...
>>
>>344195069
> ((( )))
Get out.
>>
File: 1390345130005.gif (2 MB, 213x219) Image search: [Google]
1390345130005.gif
2 MB, 213x219
>>344195202
>the combat is harder than it should be

anomnalyis r u bein silly
>>
>>344195193
that's not saying much at all
>>
Part of me wants to get AoD, but I keep hearing the problem is that the combat is shite and you have to invest in a single build.

Tell me more.
>>
>>344194862
>Has the Codex collapsed since a literal who SJW fucked off

HMMMM

>>344195193

It is a shitpost, but I am not shitposting against RPGCodex, just shitposting cause I am on /v/ and you don't deserve intellectual posts. Only on RPGCodex I write my intellectual posts.
>>
>>344195207
(((Anonymous)))
>>
>>344195469
I don't even know who you are. Some mexican faggot like 7 peso tuco?
>>
>>344195716
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/dragofireheart.8273/
>>
>>344195716
7 peso tuco?
I remember a mexican faggot on RPGCodex, but not the name. It's a very oldfag reference if that's what you're referring to.
>>
>>344195860
angry joe.
>>
>>344195469

I'll take away your videogames next time you shitlord.

>>344195860

Pretty sure he's talking about Angry Joe and not Melcar.
>>
>>344195860
>I remember a mexican faggot on RPGCodex,

That would be Melcar.
>>
Who cares about AoD, Underrail is way better.
>>
>>344171351
Fallout 1 and 2 had a great artstyle, so of course it's worse.
>>
>>344195461
Read the thread.

A lot of detailed posts about builds and combat already.
>>
>>344195461

Just play the combat like me. Do a Cheat Engine memory scan to free your action points, then kill everything on the map in one turn.
>>
>>344196098
>Melcar.
no idea. But if you're referring to someone that's still active, it's probably not him. I know he caused a shit ton of drama years and years ago and left rpgcodex. he had guides on daggerfall and stuff and was really elitist for a middle aged man
>>344196295
I disagree
>>
>>344196060
>>344195985
ah. Ticked Taco is obviously the best nickname.
>>
>>344171351
Fallout 1 and 2 were pretty high budget for their time
>>
>>344197784
3 million was nothing for its time
>>
>>344197784
not really. they were kinda in the middle. not small but nowhere near big.
>>
>>344198180
It is for a non AAA game
>>
>>344197784
>2
>reuses 99% of 1
>high budget
>>
>>344196573
or use the console command and become god!
>>
>>344164875
The main problem I had with it is that diplomatic options didn't result in different gameplay. It resulted in skipped gameplay. Give me a litany of other tasks to handle instead of just skipping the combat and continuing on, making the game an hour long.
>>
>faggots and queers can't handle following an archetype
fuck you guys classless will never fully replace classes
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.