[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Don't mention the camera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13
File: 260px-Super_Mario_64_Boxart.png (107 KB, 260x181) Image search: [Google]
260px-Super_Mario_64_Boxart.png
107 KB, 260x181
What went wrong?

Don't mention the camera
>>
>>344160669
It's better than Donkey Kong 64
>>
>>344160669
Nothing? Besides very meh graphics
>>
File: banjo64.jpg (268 KB, 1326x778) Image search: [Google]
banjo64.jpg
268 KB, 1326x778
it wasnt banjo kazooie
>>
You didn't build speed for 12 hours
>>
>>344160669
It is a pretty great game to be honest. I could enjoy it right now. If I were to change anything, I think I would enjoy the idea of wandering the mushroom kingdom more than the novelty of accessing levels through castle paintings.
>>
>>344160669
Due to no depth perception it's nearly impossible to tell where Mario will land when he jumps, making the game play sluggish and feel unreliable.
>>
You didn't travel through parallel universes
>>
>>344160669
Sorry no even as a kid I understood the camera was shit and dropped it around halfway mark.
>>
File: Dorry_swim1.gif (952 KB, 500x238) Image search: [Google]
Dorry_swim1.gif
952 KB, 500x238
too scary for an E-rated game
>>
Eat shit. I still replay this annually.
>>
It looks ugly.

Some stars where impossible to find without a guide (like using the cannon to hit a corner of a structure in World 2).

Enemies are just there to do nothing.

Minibosses were bland as fuck.

The special powers (flying, invisible, metallic Mario) were lost potential.

Still a good game, 4/5, I want to play it again.
>>
File: 1466533590202.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1466533590202.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>344160669
Only thing that went wrong was that you were born in fucking 2005 or some shit.

The game aged pretty great except for the graphics and camera, and that's just fine because there was literally nothing like it before it.

Plus, there's mods now to improve the camera functionality and visuals.
>>
They made it impossible to get to the pedro spot in TTC
>>
It's just another overrated Nintendo game, up there with MM.

There's really no redeeming feature that stands out on this game. No memorable levels, boss fights or gameplay mechanics.

Sunshine and Galaxy completely overshadowed this game, sending it into the nether.

Anyone praising it is a manbaby nostalgia goggle wearing faggot.
>>
>>344161681
>No memorable levels
Jolly Rodgers Lagoon
>>
File: 1465962395546.jpg (130 KB, 355x440) Image search: [Google]
1465962395546.jpg
130 KB, 355x440
>>344161681
Nintendo is overrated as all hell now, but in the 90s they were actually innovative and creative.

This game just fell victim to the Seinfeld effect, where it was so innovative that everyone copied it and it became cliche and overdone. It's not SM64's fault.

Well that, and you're a jaded hipster asshat who thinks you look kewl hating on things everyone else likes.
>>
>>344161681
>no memorable levels
Nigga do you even big boos mansion
Nigga do you even little big world
>>
>>344161917

Great for its time doesn't make it timeless.

Tetris is timeless. Sm64 is tired and should be out to rest.
>>
Absolutely nothing?

It's amazing how Nintendo/Miyamoto got practically everything right on the first try, and it's sad how the genre is currently dead.
Would be nice to see a comeback.
>>
>>344161681
>>344162062
Nigga do you even every fucking level in the game

I even remember the secret levels
>>
>>344160669
Nothing, it's the best Mario game. Probably the best Nintendo game of all time actually.
>>
>>344161013
They put a circular shadow under every object in the game just to placate retards like you
>>
>>344161381
>Plus, there's mods now to improve the camera functionality and visuals.
?
>>
File: 1466694724700.jpg (43 KB, 530x464) Image search: [Google]
1466694724700.jpg
43 KB, 530x464
>>344162076
>Aside from terrible camera it still plays better than most platformers released in past twenty years.
>Amazing soundtrack that it still covered and referenced to this day.
>Creative levels that are still remade to this day by Nintendo because for some reason all their creativity died in like 2008 or somewhere around that time.
>Such a solid game that's there's still an active community that comes up with and exceeds insane challenges for the game as well as create new mods for it and even a fucking fan hd remake in the works.
>Was actually remade by Nintendo on DS and partially on the wii.

How is this not a timeless game, exactly?
>>
In certain aspects, the character models don't just look low poly, but rather like they were made by people who didn't properly interpret the concept art. Goombas being shaped all wrong is one example. Mario's face looking wrong is a major example. Something just looks off about it when you compare it to 3D Mario promo art. Obviously it's going to be low poly, but the DS version of Mario's model and the Goomba's models are also low poly, but Goombas are shaped properly, and Mario's face (and body in general) look much more in line with what they look like, despite still being on a system with low quality 3D graphics. They REALLY dropped the ball on Bowser in this game, who looks leagues better in the DS version. It's worth noting that overall the DS version looks worse than the N64 version because of the much, much lower quality of textures.
That being said, you can kind of forgive them for that since it was their first attempt at a large 3D game, and really the first attempt of a 3D game at its scale on a console.
>>
So, honest question. I've noticed people have been suddenly praising the fuck out of this game this past year. It's this some sort of meme? I can see this sort of trend being applied to Half-Life or GTA, but it's not. So why is Mario 64 getting all of this SUDDEN praise.
>>
Collecting stars/coins. I didn't like it in Yoshi's Island and I didn't like it in the Mario games that followed.
>>
>>344165036
collecting stars? thats the entire game premise

coins had a nice purpose too: you gain health back, and give another star at 100

what's wrong with either?
>>
>>344161258
>the mission literally called "Blast Away the Wall" can't be completed without a guide

Are you retarded? I can understand not knowing which wall to shoot yourself into, but a couple of minutes of trial and error should resolve this for anyone with a brain.

Other than that though, I agree with your post, friend.
>>
>>344161917
>Nintendo is overrated as all hell now
is that why no one buys their home consoles?
>>
>>344162076
I'd rather play SM64 than Tetris
>>
>>344165541

>collecting stars? thats the entire game premise
Which to someone who doesn't like it, that's a problem.

>coins had a nice purpose too: you gain health back, and give another star at 100
Exactly. I hated having to find 100 coins just to get a star. And then doing it again with Red coins. Made even more frustrating by the bad camera and controls on Mario 64. Mario Galaxy is about the only game where I tolerated it because I genuinely enjoyed running around with the solid controls. But I would have still preferred something besides coin/star collecting.
>>
>>344165607

>I just magically knew "blast away the wall" was related to the cannon, an object that already had a star

Nice hindsight faggot
>>
>>344166081
Why the fuck are you playing Mario if you don't like collecting stars?
>>
>>344166081

>mario 64 bad controls
>galaxy good

Try harder next time nobody's gonna fall for that
>>
>>344166334

As I already said in my previous post, collecting stuff started with Yoshi's Island. And I didn't like it then. Nor did I like how it continued into the following Mario games.

You know, some people did get into Mario before Mario 64. As hard as it is to believe that someone could be over the age of 20.
>>
When I was a kid it was the perfect game.

But now that I've read stuff about it like it being planned to have 32 levels and just got 15, or that it would have luigi in it and some other stuff, makes it feel incomplete.

Mario 64 DS kinda fixed this for me as it put luigi and other 2 characters, but also feels a bit incomplete, before it was launched they put it as if you could play it with 4 players simultaneously, which is limited to a shitty multiplayer mode with just yoshis
>>
Nothing. Camera was great. It's about as great as a 3D platformer can be. No one has even bothered trying to top it.
>>
>>344166489
>collecting stuff started with Yoshi's Island
you didn't play very much SMW did you
>>
>>344166678

You unlocked stuff in SMW. You didn't 'collect' stuff. This is the game where you had to walk all the way through Star Road to get a certain color Yoshi.

What is it today with everyone trying to sound like an expert and 'you didn't play it' defense? I mean, I see it often. But its in every single thread today.
>>
>>344166661

>No one has even bothered trying to top it.
Except Nintendo specifically citing the camera being the biggest issue in 64 and Sunshine. And making the camera the focus in Galaxy.

But sure. The camera was perfect and no one ever tried to do anything about it.
>>
>>344166864
There were coins fucking everywhere in SMW you dimwit, and I've already seen you complain about that
>>
>>344160938

I think it's dumb how they are so often compared. To be honest they hardly feel like the same genre. Mario 64 is more about the movement and physics, while Banjo Kazooie is about completing different tasks in the levels and collecting stuff.
>>
>>344166964

There's coins in every Mario game. Or are you talking about the (totally optional) Yoshi coins which just gave you a 1up. Vs having to collect red coins to get a star.

Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
Everyone bitches about the camera, but I swear to god the camera in Sunshine is so much worse. I don't recall many instances in 64 where the camera actually hindered the gameplay, but in Sunshine it seemed to have a significant effect.
>>
>>344161258
>blast away the wall
>he didn't instantly think about the wall with a strange mark on it
>>
>>344160669

Hundred coin stars are pretty shitty. Otherwise just the camera
>>
>>344160669
I won't mention the camera because that wasn't a flaw with the game to begin with
>>
>>344167247
It's still collecting. Stop shifting goalposts.
>>
>>344167272

There's no mark on the wall
>>
>>344166961
Catering to casuals and admitting your audience is too stupid to work a camera, while putting a positive spin on it is what that statement is in reality.

SM64 only needed camera adjustments in a select few levels at a select few times. Which required taping to C buttons once or twice before you made a jump. It wasn't an issue if your IQ was higher than 80.
>>
>>344161013
Literally incorrect, that's the point of his shadow.
>>
>>344167474
This. It works fine to this day.
>>
>>344167505

There's a thin line on the wall, as if to imply it's somewhat loose.
>>
>>344161013

Wasn't that way more of a problem in Crash Bandicoot?
>>
>>344167581

There's not.

But go ahead and post an emulator screenshot that shows a gigantic empty space between them, that wasn't on console at all.
>>
>>344167514

>SM64 only needed camera adjustments in a select few levels at a select few times.
So it wasn't perfect, like you said above.

>It wasn't an issue if your IQ was higher than 80.
Then how was it so easy for you?
>>
>>344160938
Lol banjo Kazooie is like an assassin's Creed busywork collection game

Super Mario 64 is leagues above it.
>>
>>344160669
The only thing you could possibly say went wrong is that it didn't cause the retards of /v/ to wither and turn to dust when they laid eyes on it.
>>
>>344161171
This made me shut the game off and stop when I was a kid. No idea why, but I remember it looking scarier.
>>
>>344161681
b8/8 see me after class
>>
>>344167910

Its the music in the background coupled with the Nessie look alike being so silent.

As a kid, I ran out of the room because I expected the dinosaur to start chasing me the minute I got into the water.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1024x1378) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1024x1378
>>344160669
Picture and video link

https://youtu.be/kpk2tdsPh0A
>>
File: 1464769945037.gif (997 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
1464769945037.gif
997 KB, 500x265
>the /v/ shitposter special
>take any game for no reason, especially ones that are widely loved, and ask what went wrong
>trust that people won't actually fall for it
>people still come in the thread and actually try to reason

mfw
>>
The level design is bland, except Cave Dungeon and Tick Tock Tower.

Besides that, It's still great, but I prefer Sunshine, though.
>>
>>344167779
There actually is a shear line on the wall on console.
I don't think it's purposeful so much as an artifact from the way it's modeled, etc, but it's there. And those of us that grew up with older games are conditioned to look for stuff like that. It's kinda like watching Scooby-doo when you know the door the monster is going to pop out of because it's a different color from the rest of the background.
>>
>>344160669
Accessing parallel universes with the camera following you crashes on console.
>>
>>344167779
Nigger those lines where on console as well.
>>
how were you supposed to know to jump into the painting?
>>
>Faggots complain abot the camera when you can set it to Mario mode and the pull the camera back to have the camera always centered behind you
>>
>>344168754

Toad tells you to. Also, its the only thing in the fucking room so you would at least try and kick it. Funny enough, a lot of areas inside the levels have the opposite problem. Things that look obvious end up being nothing while obscure things end up holding hidden stars or coins.
>>
>>344168961

The camera automatically resets itself in various places. Especially where you need it the most like walking on a thin ledge or up the mountain.

In before "no it doesn't!" Go play the game again.
>>
>>344169398
The camera only goes back to Lakitu mode if you change areas or if you change it yourself.
>>
>>344169601

>if you change areas or if you change it yourself.
Or touch water. Or walk around certain corners/ledges. Or it runs into a wall. Or if you enter an area where the camera automatically changes to an above view. Or randomly for no good reason.
>>
File: scuttlejamboreehee.png (548 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
scuttlejamboreehee.png
548 KB, 1024x768
>>344160669
You couldn't have a scuttlebug jamboree
>>
>>344169748
The good reason is that the camera is tangible, my friend. You are supposed to manipulate it by switching to lakitu or mario view and moving it with the c buttoms.
Think of the camera as a second Mario and play with it.
>>
>>344169748
I think your cartridge is fucked up.
>>
>>344168754

>tfw if the game was released today, there would instructions like "press A to jump" and "jump into the painting to start the level"

I like how the game immediately puts you on your own. There's a ton of signs around the castle if you feel like reading them, but you don't have to.
>>
>>344170625
DS did this
>>
File: hug the scuttle.png (185 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hug the scuttle.png
185 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: 991-hell-yeah-motherfucker.jpg (100 KB, 783x377) Image search: [Google]
991-hell-yeah-motherfucker.jpg
100 KB, 783x377
>watch for rolling rocks guy hasn't uploaded anything for almost two weeks
>he's probably working on a new commentary video
>>
>>344169969

I played the game on bot N64 and Wii Virtual Console. Problem happened on both. You just have rose tinted glasses and ignore its flaws. But when you're spending a significant amount of time fighting the camera and not jumping/attacking stuff, then there's a problem.

Mario Galaxy had the right idea. You don't have to move the camera. Despite how you're going to greentext and whine to the contrary.
>>
>>344170946
I'm just hoping he does a commentated version of Mario wing to the sky. That video was fucking genius.
>>
File: scuttlebuggered.png (21 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
scuttlebuggered.png
21 KB, 512x512
>what went wrong
>1 post by OP
>>
>>344170952
The Mario cam literally never doesn't center behind you.
>>
File: troublewiththescuttle.png (333 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
troublewiththescuttle.png
333 KB, 768x1024
>>
>>344170952
I like how Mario Galaxy was designed the way it was because "you can just circle the platform and end up back where you were, so you don't get disoriented"

Except it could still be pretty disorienting because the camera was almost always on rails. And the camera being on rails was more of a hinderance than it was any improvement on previous models.
>>
>>344171180

And the point was that it also doesn't stay in that mode. Something as simple as walking into a wall will throw it back into Lakitu mode. Let alone touching water or walking along a cliff.
>>
>>344171180
you can by using the camera keys
>>
>>344161171
I fucking swear to god I got Dorrie to eat me when I was a kid and it felt scary.
>>
>>344171459
But that's fucking wrong.
>>
>Get to that one thin walkway on the mountain
>"This will be easy, its just a straight line!"
>the camera switches to a 3/4 view for no reason
>try and change the camera view and it instead flips around so you can only see in front of Mario, can no longer see the walkway

Its like the designers were trying to make it hard on purpose by fucking with the camera.
>>
>>344168394
Does this imply that we could break the speed of light by glitching our universe with wall seams?
>>
>>344171697

Standing in front of him will hurt you. Which is annoying since you need to get on top of its head. And if you fall off, suddenly you're taking endless damage.
>>
>>344171096
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcMlj8BwWE
...What is he doing?
>>
Nothing much.

Some of the level design is flacky and of varying quality, but controlling Mario is still one of the most fun experiences in 3D platformers to this day.
>>
>>344171870
Press R and then the down C button, the camera will only follow Mario and from a certain distance (if you don't press down C button, it'll follow him from stupidly close for you to see anything)
>>
>>344167489
>le ebin fallacies meme

you fucking retard, you didnt need to collect shit to beat the levels, collectibles were just a spice to add to the game not the main course
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.