[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people always advocate for playing Smash on a CRT but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: rkmbS4b.jpg (638 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
rkmbS4b.jpg
638 KB, 3264x2448
Why do people always advocate for playing Smash on a CRT but proper fighting games are played on 1ms response monitors at EVO and other tournaments? People even play Third Strike on LEDs now and that game was repsonible for the greatest fighting game moment in history.
>>
>>344151326

Probably because most other fighting games are played on consoles with hdmi cables

The gamecube/wii composite cables are already standard so you might as well take advantage of the lagless crt option

CRTs are easily available (just picked up a 32 inch trinitron for free on craigslist) so you might as well make use of that nearly 0 lag.
>>
>>344151989
Why not run Wii games on a Wii U with HDMI? I get why you wouldn't run Gamecube games because of the homebrew needed but Wii games are backward compatible.
>>
>>344151326
Because Smash players are literal manchildren who refuse to grow up.
>>
>>344151326
because CRTs have 0ms response time.
>>
>>344152586
Wii is still a 480p console, it benefits from crt. It'd be pretty senseless to have the wii u upscale on some hdtv.
>>
>>344152902
>but proper fighting games are played on 1ms response monitors at EVO and other tournaments
>>
>>344153257
That's you connect it to a monitor for good response time as opposed to TV which adds lag through digital processing. Image quality doesn't matter at tournaments.
>>
>>344152586

Probably just tradition. Melee has been around for a long time so everyone already has their CRT TVs and Gamecubes or modded Wiis. The community has decided that the nearly lagless CRT TV is the standard so that's probably the way it will always be unless something changes. Plus no one really plays Brawl anymore so the only Wii Smash with anything going on is Project M and its easier to just use a modded Wii than a Wii U since the older Wiis already come with the gamecube ports. Since there's no real convenient way to get completely lagless play with other fighting games people have settled on a certain amount of acceptable latency. I don't watch/play Smash 4 but don't people play that on LCDs?

I'm not saying you don't have a point. Just saying that a lot of times things are the way they are because that's the way they've always been.
>>
>>344153292

Probably because there's no other convenient option. If you could play SFV on a CRT TV easily I bet people would do it even if there isn't much functional difference between 1ms and 0ms response time.
>>
>>344152586
Wii Us are a lot more expensive than Wiis and Gamecubes. Hard to get dozens of those for tournaments over the cheaper consoles.
>>
>>344153561

Wiis are cheap on craigslist these days (even cheaper than gamecubes many times). I'd recommend anyone that doesn't have one buy it and mod it. Perfect emulation/smash console.
>>
>>344151326
becasue in smash player number dictates when commands are read

if player one, two and three attack at the exact same time, player ones attack hits first, followed by two, then three.

Still confused why people play this game "professionally" when its seriously not meant for it

thats probably why they do "hacks" like the CRT thing so the delay makes it feel more balanced.
>>
>>344153448
I get the tradition but Third Strike has been around for longer and it played on Xbox 360 on monitors at tournaments. Unfortunately, Melee has a community of manchildren that keeping it a main game at EVO unlike Third Strike so there's that.
>>344153561
That's fair but it's not like buying Wii Us would lead to profit loss.
>>344153514
I'm very sure people play SFV on CRTs. I believe there are HDMI to RGB adapters or something.
>>
File: sony-bvm-20f1u.jpg (24 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
sony-bvm-20f1u.jpg
24 KB, 500x447
I got onto the CRT bandwagon too late didn't I?

I'm never going to find a Sony BVM 201F am I?
>>
>>344153992
Just keep your eyes pealed Anon. I got mine in a lot with a bunch of other broadcasting equipment 2 months ago. I made a profit on all the crap it came and have a sweet CRT.
>>
>ywn have that tv
>>
>>344154217
>he saved the thumbnail
>>
the melee community only exists because a bunch of manbabies adamantly refuse to accept change, I don't see why they'd be the same way about the monitors they play on as well.
>>
>>344153858

I could be wrong but I think HDMI to RGB adapters introduce lag because you're converting a digital signal to an analog signal.
>>
>>344154306
>>
>>344153858

"Capsule Entertainment is back for our 2nd "Street Fighter III 3rd Strike OE" tournament at EVO Championship Series! The tournament will be held on Friday July 15th 2016. On-site sign-ups will take place from the time EVO doors open up that morning until 12:00pm when the matches begin.

This time around we will trying to host the tournament on the CRT TV's in the EVO BYOC section usually provided by the EVO staff instead of our Asus VH236H monitors. However, in the case we are unable to use those TVs we will be forced to use our Asus VH236H low input lag monitors. We will be recording matches and uploading them on our youtube channel like before but our recording equipment has since been upgraded! Vids should look even better than our previous EVO tournament~

As an old school 3S player I know nothing is as good as playing on the CPSIII version and hardware. This however is impractical for us for many reasons, so we have decided not to go with that format for this tournament. The Xbox 360 version of SFIII 3S:OE will be used instead, so make sure you have an Xbox360 compatible stick or controller since we will not be providing any for this tournament. Please bring your own controllers if you wish to compete!

This time around we are providing online pre-registration via the Godlike Combo Tournament app & registion webpage. Links to both can be found below. Please download the IOS/Android app as it will be extremely useful during your tournament experience for this event. Not only can you check the brackets from it but we can shoot you a push notification on your phone when your match is being called if need! You can also pay for tournament fees by credit/debit card if you wish~

For those interested have a safe trip and we'll see you in Las Vegas!!"

Looks like the third strike scene also prefers CRT TVs when they are available.
>>
>>344154193

Where'd you get it? Craigslist?
>>
>>344154612
Yeah, I'm not surprised considering Third Strike doesn't have the best community. Surprised it took this long.
>>
>>344154736
Nah local company that deals with liquidating old equipment from other businesses. I still have a few PVMs from them in my basement lol.
>>
There's a japanese third strike cabinet a local independent cinema here and sometimes I go there just to play.
>>
I had more fun hunting down my CRT than I do actually playing smash.
>>
>>344153292
screen might have 1ms response time, but there's also input lag, in 10-20+ ms range
crt does not have input lag
>>
>>344154819

Do you not like CRT TVs or something?
>>
>>344151326
because how else are you going to Smash Mouth if not on a Shrek TV
>>
>>344155246

Why don't CRTs have input lag? I've read a little bit about it but its all kind of confusing to me. I thought display lag and input lag were the same thing. What's the difference?
>>
>>344155395
HD displays don't take analog signals so they have to first convert them to digital. That is what introduces the lag.
>>
>>344155395
input lag is the amount of time lost to signal processing by your monitor
time from the moment it receives the signal to when it sends it to screen
display lag is the time from the moment screen receives signal to when it gets displayed, ie crystals light up
>>
>>344155490

So if you played smash on a Wii U with an hdmi cable to an LCD you'd eliminate input lag but still have display lag right?
>>
>>344155678
you wouldn't eliminate input lag completely, still there are scaling, sharpness settings etc
>>
>>344151326
Wii to HDMI adapters have lag, however small and unperceptable it is, its still there.
>>
I hate the static from CRTs
>>
>>344155253
>>344155253
Nah, it's just the HD rerelease was made so you wouldn't need one. Every other game plays on monitors and people are being stubborn by not adjusting to the times.
>>
>>344151326

Because no one's playing 3rd strike any more

Smash 4 is played on HD displays because it's HD and doesn't have to upscale like a Gamecube or Wii does
>>
>>344153734

I know it's early but I'll bet this will be the dumbest thing I'll read all day

>thats probably why they do "hacks" like the CRT thing so the delay makes it feel more balanced.
>>
>>344157021
He also seems to think port priority effects everything and not just throws. Sadly given that it's this board there are still dumber comments yet to be discovered.
>>
>>344157273
Player 2 usually suffers from one frame of landing lag upon spawning on FD
>>
>>344151326
gaecube and wii use analog output.
If you used a HDTV you have to convert the signal to digital and that takes a couple of ms.
and the screen itself, if you get real good ones, add 1-2ms also.

so if you use a CRT you get no convert lag or no 1ms display lag.

as of now there is no upside to using modern displays.

Maybe if they started playing on dolphin they could use modern monitors but that might have other effects on lag.
>>
Cause they got to throw their wait around somehow

Now it is about having personal hand warmers and dick sucking booths
>>
>>344157787
I'm a big CRT fan, I have a 27" Panasonic w/ component and s-video that I use for ps3 and older consoles and everything from Shadow of the Colossus to CoD multiplayer on ps3 look and feel great with component.

But really unless you are a pro fighting game player or CSGO autist any display that has under 25-30ms of input lag is fine for 99% of games.

The new Vizio 4K D series only have 13ms of input lag on game mode.
>>
>>344153828
Holy shit who cares
>>
>>344151989
^vote
>>
>>344159309
Pics of CRT plox
>>
File: CRT.jpg (2 MB, 2849x2399) Image search: [Google]
CRT.jpg
2 MB, 2849x2399
>>344159772
>>
>>344161015
>tfw no 27 inch widescreen CRT
Would still fugg though.
>>
>>344159309

Fighting games, Rhythm games, Shmups and sometimes racing games all work best with absolutely minimal lag, but it's true no one really cares about an extra starup frame on Castlevania's whip.

That said, older stuff generally looks much better on CRTs than it does on modern HDTVs, too. If you're only whipping out Mario to fuck around with your friends once a year, don't bother, but of you regularly play SD stuff it's worth the $0 to pick up a Trinitron somewhere.

Also lightgun games won't work without a CRT.
>>
>>344161015
It's an HD CRT?
>>
File: CRT2.jpg (1 MB, 2977x2109) Image search: [Google]
CRT2.jpg
1 MB, 2977x2109
>>344159772
>>344161093
It's 4:3, it's just a flat screen. I might actually get a free 32" Sony Trinitron CRT from craigslist, just waiting on the person to email me back what the model number is.

Here it is right next to a 48" Vizio I used to have, but it's about 5 or 6 inches behind the Vizio so it's bigger looking when actually side to side.
>>
>>344152586
No GameCube controller support in the Wii U's Wii mode
>>
>>344161529
Nope just 480i
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.