[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is pic related? I heard it took the series in a new direction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: bof5-cover-usa.jpg (55 KB, 248x350) Image search: [Google]
bof5-cover-usa.jpg
55 KB, 248x350
How is pic related? I heard it took the series in a new direction that people hated but a roguelike dungeon crawler also sounds kind of fun and the underground setting seems way more interesting than what you typically find in JRPGs.
>>
>>344136823
Good game, would have been praised if it didn't have the BoF label attached.
>>
>>344136823
Hard.
>>
>>344138738
The early parts of the game are alright, the middle section is pretty hard and towards the end you can either start using resources you've saved up to that point to make it trivial or grind a lot.

The idea of setting up traps and such before the engaging the enemies was quite interesting, but the execution wasn't quite spot on.
>>
>>344136823
I don't think it's a rouge-like outside of the bonus dungeon.

The game is great. There is also a hard time limit introduced eventually that ties directly into gameplay. If for whatever reason you literally get fucked, you can just reset your playthrough for no real penalty. The game is designed to be replayed, secondary playthroughs add more scenes and new content.

People who hate it do so because it plays nothing like the predecessors, and failed completely financially ending the franchise until that new lol phone mmo. Probably my personal favorite BoF.
>>
>>344138990

honestly once you get your full party it's pretty straight forward

Just have Nina set up traps in choke points (just stack like 3 or 4 of them next to each other) and then have Lin stand back and shoot everything. Ryu is basically there to just whack things if they get too close and one shot bosses with dragon form.

if you're conservative with your dragon form (i.e. never use Rush and use the dragon form to kill maybe like 1 or 2 bosses in the main story), you can use the dragon form to one hit every single boss in the final dungeon
>>
The game is fantastic.

BoF was always fairly generic as far as JRPGs went, but this one did something different.
>>
>>344139158
>if you're conservative with your dragon form (i.e. never use Rush and use the dragon form to kill maybe like 1 or 2 bosses in the main story), you can use the dragon form to one hit every single boss in the final dungeon

That's my issue with the game. The final dungeon is pretty much balanced around abusing the dragon form, which makes it really boring. A middle ground where you can do it without dragon form or grinding like a madman would've been better.
>>
Excellent game only faggots who wanted another BoF3 clone hate.
>>
Probably my favorite jrpg ever and in my top 10 fave games of all time. I still play this game multiple times annually.
>>
>>344136823
It's one of the best PS2 RPGs. The combat is great and it has some good resource management. The game also has some surprisingly subtle characterization, which I appreciated.

Completing Dragon Quarter's "Ironman" mode was a pretty satisfying challenge. It's a tense experience, because nearly every enemy encounter has the potential to be deadly if you make a mistake.
>>
>>344139469
Well, You ARE supposed to go and over use Dragon form in the final boss to beat them, so... I guess using it in the final dungeon so much makes that easier to occur.
>>
File: gsdx_20150304150814.jpg (671 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20150304150814.jpg
671 KB, 1920x1080
Play it on PCSX2 so you can use savestates. The original saving system is bad, but the game is fantastic.
>>
>tfw I bought this game recently for like $4 because I saw it in an underrated gems thread like one time

Sounds like I'm in for a good time
>>
>>344136823

>roguelike dungeon crawler
Is this actually an accurate descriptor? Because it seems cool.

Can I jump into this game without having played the rest?
>>
>>344142123

Doesn't have randomly generated stuff from what I recall, but failure does result in starting the game again but you get to keep some things.
>>
File: 57106679_p5.jpg (199 KB, 551x810) Image search: [Google]
57106679_p5.jpg
199 KB, 551x810
2nd best girl in the series.
>>
>>344142123
>Can I jump into this game without having played the rest?
Yes. There are few hints that suggest the game might take place after the events of Breath of Fire 3, but those events are not particularly important to the plot of Dragon Quarter.
>>
File: 1 to 4 in 2 runs.png (405 KB, 1286x745) Image search: [Google]
1 to 4 in 2 runs.png
405 KB, 1286x745
git gud
>>
File: breath-of-fire-v-compare.jpg (255 KB, 620x285) Image search: [Google]
breath-of-fire-v-compare.jpg
255 KB, 620x285
>>
>>344142696
THE best. no contest

>>344143045
i could do this in my sleep. naked.
>>
Fun fact: Hyperdimension Neptuna's combat system since HDN2 is a tard mode version of Dragon Quarter's.
>>
>>344143045
Now do it in one.
>>
File: katt's booty.jpg (49 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
katt's booty.jpg
49 KB, 400x400
>>344143195
Only in dream?
>>
>>344136823
>How is pic related?
Mediocre for an JRPG and horribly bad for a Breath of Fire. The good BoF are 1, 2, 3 and 4 anything that came out after those is trash.
>>
File: 1462141848130.jpg (48 KB, 230x192) Image search: [Google]
1462141848130.jpg
48 KB, 230x192
>>344143321
Rekt not enough?
>>
A disappointment after BoF4. If you remove BoF4 from the picture then you have an interesting, experimental game that killed a decent jRPG series.
>>
>>344143710
Everyone knows how to do a two 1/4 run mate. Show me something impressive like aforementioned one run.
>>
>>344144145
Is it even possible? IIRC you can't access all areas on your first run so you'd have to at least reset the game at some point to enable that, which isn't that different from completing the game once and getting 1/4 on the second run.
>>
>>344143326
that is the most adorable art ever. saved
>>
>>344143119
American/Jap/Euro? Middle cover is the best.
>>
File: 41.webm (3 MB, 400x304) Image search: [Google]
41.webm
3 MB, 400x304
>>344144145
And yet no one on gamefaqs has archived that judging by their unfinished threads, but some random anon on gook cartoon imageboard. Go ahead, tell everyone how it is easy, we'll listen, mate.
>>
Doing an entire no dragon-form run from start to end was challenging stuff at first. There's one douchebag boss in the middle of the game that pretty much requires dragon form if you don't prepare a very specific strategy against it (blond faggot that recovers a bazillion HP per turn)
>>
File: bofv.jpg (33 KB, 373x373) Image search: [Google]
bofv.jpg
33 KB, 373x373
>>344144860
Use discharge skill. It accumulates damage received, then unleashes it back.
>>
>>344144968
Yeah, that was the specific strategy I mentioned. You have to stand there taking a beating for a while until you can beat him, and in my first playthrough I didn't even know about that skill, so I had to go dragon on his ass.
>>
>>344142696
She's actually the best one. Best personality, minimum of fur unlike that ugly abomination from BoF2.
>>
File: bof5-tantra.jpg (25 KB, 230x640) Image search: [Google]
bof5-tantra.jpg
25 KB, 230x640
>>344145112
Try to do Tantra while having killed both of his minions. That's what a challenge is about.
>>
>>344144432
You need 1/256 to open every door and chest so the best I think a person can do on their first run is 1/16.

>>344144762
This game is 15 years old, and barely has a following as it is. Saying this dead forum doesn't have people saying they've done it, but ignoring the fact it has a D-ratio guide that clearly explains everything you'd do anyway. You're not the first person to get 1/4 on a clean second playthrough.
>>
>>344145238
Lin's just your average tsundere, anon.
>>
>>344144762
>>344145394

Also you did in an emulate with savestates. You'd be hardpressed not to get a perfect run since you can just savescum your way to getting it. Wow you're such hot shit anon. You cheated your way to perfect game, and piggybacked off the work of other people telling exactly what you need to get said perfect run.
>>
>>344143045
You da man.
>>
>>344146257
I didn't need to savescum, I just knew that you can put money in the colony and thus freely spam "retreat from battle" when things go wrong since Nina is faster than most of the enemies. Give her defensive rings and you don't ever die to non-bosses.
>>
>>344136823
>How is pic related

a downright abomination
>>
>>344143045
I got 1/16

good enough

Honestly think the reward for getting 1/4 should be removing the D-Counter because storywise a 1/4 would be able to handle the dragon gene
>>
>>344147957
>Honestly think the reward for getting 1/4 should be removing the D-Counter because storywise a 1/4 would be able to handle the dragon gene

I personally think the D Counter should never of existed
>>
>>344148234
Please don't reply to my posts casual.
>>
>>344149017
How is hating a bad game mechanic "casual"?
>>
>>344136823
It's what happens when a dev attempts to solve problems he saw with JRPGs instead of just making JRPG+1 or making decisions based on focus testing. Something like BoF: DQ will never, ever come out of a big publisher again.

I think it's a good game but I don't think he went far enough. A lot of the things in the game like limited saves were more like empty threats than actual obstacles because of how plentiful save tokens were. Similarly, the d-counter functioned just fine at limiting players using the "win instantly" fail safe built into the game in case a player fucked up so hard they couldn't win a boss battle but it didn't really make an impact from walking around.

When the d-counter went up .001% from exploring the only consequence was autists collapsing in a pile of vomit because they can't handle the mere implication that they're on a time limit.
>>
>>344143119
EUR is a bit too abstract.
>>
>>344136823
It's very good, very hard and has a very nice sakimoto ost

The common jrpg fan who does like BoF hates it. But they also tend to like BoF1 which is actually terrible.
>>
Love it myself, though I never got the full story (game expects you to die, then will throw additional tidbits at you, but as soon as I understood what the game was trying to do gameplay wise, I had to one time it).

Still, don't care, great game. Tight waving and mechanics and narrative.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.