[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game was the most ahead of it's time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: chronotrigger-sfcc.jpg (69 KB, 550x371) Image search: [Google]
chronotrigger-sfcc.jpg
69 KB, 550x371
What game was the most ahead of it's time?
>>
>>344134176
its a game that focused on being well tuned, and expand on already existing concepts in gameplay not try to do any gimmicks

truth be told, a well tuned game is always a good one

its mostly why the Dragon Quest games have aged well while there are Final Fantasy games that show their age
>>
Shenmue

Too much to explain, but most modern AAA crap pretty much is coming from it, and they did it worse.
>>
also grand theft auto 3

i'd never experienced something like that before

the freedom felt amazing
>>
>>344134176
Does this game have something to do with Toriyama? I've seen the robot before. And the one dude's design is similar to Tapion.
>>
>>344136012
Also chrono looks like a super saiyan.
>>
>>344134580
On the other hand, DQ gives the impression of "once you've played one you've played them"

I enjoy both series but I really only pay DQ when my backlog looks unappetizing or I can't be assed to find a jRPG more "exciting" at the moment
>>
File: 1408518741080.jpg (137 KB, 556x800) Image search: [Google]
1408518741080.jpg
137 KB, 556x800
>>344136012
Toriyama did the designs, he's done it for a lot of games oddly enough
kinda wish more famous manga artists did designs for games
>>
>>344136012
>>344136193
Designs were done by Enix's DQ team whose art guy is Toriyama.
>>
>>344136012
Yeah, Toriyama did a lot of the concept art. Helped a lot with the story development to.
>>
>>344136294
>not hentai artists
>>
>>344136369
How can one man be so based?
>>
>>344136454
Isn't he also the guy who rarely makes public appearances leading to the rumors that this guy believes he himself is Goku?
>>
>>344136227
think of it this way
DQ = Mario
FF = Zelda

Mario follows a reliable formula, and rarely strays off from it but still familiar, and always a fun time

Zelda tires to reinvent itself all the time, some are great, some or stinkers but when they do it right, its remembered
>>
I think we love Katamari was so ahead of it's time, the industry hasn't been able to catch up to it.

Fucking game pushed the boundaries of the console to the max, had a shit ton of levels, stupidly catchy OST, retardedly high replay value, a lot of variations of game modes and goals, simple yet charming character design, plenty of collectibles, wacky jap setting, multiplayer shit, etc. I don't think many games after it have come close to the level of perfection in We <3 Katamari.
>>
>>344136741
I know absolutely nothing about this game
>>
>>344137196
You roll a ball and small stuff gets stuck to it, making the ball bigger
As the ball gets bigger it can roll up bigger stuff

That's the whole game.
No, seriously.
>>
>>344134176
Actually, Chrono Trigger was firmly within it's time. That's what makes it so great. It was the culmination of the skills acquired from crafting previous games, to craft a masterpiece.
>>
>>344137442
And yet some of the really simple things that it did, like seeing encounters and fighting on the same screen as exploration, didn't get adopted by the genre as a whole for 20 fucking years afterwards
>>
>>344136541
Where'd you hear that?
>>
>>344134176
CT came out in 95, FFIV came out in 91.

What the absolute fuck are you on about?
>>
>>344139390
FFIV has a lot of problems, ranging from story that takes wide dips in quality and endless grinding
>>
>>344139574
I don't care what your opinion is on how good the games are. CT is a generic JRPG. It did nothing new except maybe time travel. Is that the sole reason it's overrated as fuck I wonder?
>>
>>344139760
no one said its unique, but that it's everything an rpg of its time should be
consistent story
not a lot of need for lots of grinding
unique setting
and replay value
>>344134580
>>344137442
>>344137826

what makes it stand out is its a a fine tuned game
what makes it even more timeless is that many games after it still fell into the traps this one avoided
its just a good game
>>
>>344139760
huh... a fuck ton of multiple endings? dual and triple attack combinations? the MC fucking dies? superior as fuck visuals for the platform? top notch OST? this whole project had an all star team of it's time, I mean I can't go back in time and pick every single thing that made it an ultra top tier product, but implying it's on the level of FFIV is like comparing doraemon to cowboy beebop and saying it didn't do anything better because they're both anime.

CT isn't even my fav SNES title
>>
File: Super_Mario_64_N64.jpg (216 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_64_N64.jpg
216 KB, 500x500
Super Mario 64 did a lot for 3D platformers and 3D action games on the whole. I don't think any game has come close to the amount of mobility that Mario has in this game.
>>
File: shenmue_216982b.jpg (798 KB, 1423x1412) Image search: [Google]
shenmue_216982b.jpg
798 KB, 1423x1412
Of curse, Shenmue is the only good answer.
>>
>>344139760
It does a buttload of little things that just makes it a better experience whilst not babying you at the same time.
>>
>>344136741
I agree with this.
>>
>>344140342
>I don't think any game has come close to the amount of mobility that Mario has in this game.
Sunshine?

I hope Mario is less floaty in the next game, the snappy movement in Sunshine was perfect.
>>
>>344134176
>No mention of translated Star Ocean for Snes.
What the fuck guys I thought you were better than this.
>>
File: 1450288338317.gif (42 KB, 160x220) Image search: [Google]
1450288338317.gif
42 KB, 160x220
>>344134176
I see what you did there OP.
>>
anything by rare.
>>
>>344140526
I guess technically Sunshine had the same mobility options as 64, along with what FLUDD provided in water slides and hovering. Though most of my memories of Sunshine are about hovering all of the time because of how narrow platforms got and how much of a crutch hovering is. But that has less to do with how Mario moves and more with how Mario is free to move.

Nowadays I believe FLUDD took too much attention away from Mario's abilities, which I guess was the point, as you're meant to clean Isle Delfino with this tool, but it's such a weird way to play Mario when before he's done most of the dirty work by himself.
>>
>>344134176
Gameplay is pretty weak sadly but overall pretty enjoyable game.
>>344134580
Both franchises have aged awfully, but FF takes the cake.
>>
Call me a fag but I think Shadow of the Colossus was ahead of it's time, it was a real cinematic experience, no handholding, it's still being cloned in newer games both in structure and theme. Regardless of it's hardware limitations it didn't feel cheap.

Maybe after a few playthroughs it loses some of it's mysticism, but the first time with no external aid and no expectations is an incredible experience unmatched by many modern games.
>>
pokemon

it's strange how no one has tried to copy it
>>
thief
dude sex
>>
File: Pathologic.jpg (94 KB, 423x598) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic.jpg
94 KB, 423x598
>walking simulator
>"games are art"
>dynamic economy that changes from day to day (Stalker actually copied its bartering system)
>first person horror
>slavic
>>
>>344142616
The pokemon style of game started over a decade before the game released with Dejitaru Debiru Sutori Megami Tensei
>>
>>344141425
This, every indie dev today wants to make something like SotC
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.