[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually play Harvest Moon for the farming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: story of seasons romance.png (473 KB, 1341x824) Image search: [Google]
story of seasons romance.png
473 KB, 1341x824
Does anyone actually play Harvest Moon for the farming?
>>
I do.
>>
>>344101195
The only harvest moon I ever played was for the PS2 and the dating was shit. That being said which harvest moon is that?
>>
>>344101783
This looks like the newest one, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns on 3DS. It's the one with a datable kitsune of the opposite gender, from what I recall.

>>344101195
>Does anyone actually play Harvest Moon for the farming?
Back to Nature had a great sense of farming and farm management, and I very much enjoyed it for that. I would assume that Harvest Moon 64 is the same (it's basically the same game) and the SNES Harvest Moon should be as well.

It's my opinion that the farming went to shit after that. They switched from the 365-day year with actual months and seasons over to a simple 120-day year with four "months" of Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter in Friends of Mineral Town, and the farming felt incredibly disappointing after that.

Magical Melody had some frankly disappointing farm management as well. A Wonderful Life had the seed combining/mixing and fertilizer, but the planting just felt more limited and disappointing... and I could never manage to build a stall for a cow for whatever reason. I didn't play any past that.

Rune Factory has some forgettable farming, but you probably don't play those games for that. RF1 probably had the "best" farming, but that mostly involved planting some cheap crop in dungeons and having your captured water blobs just take care of the farm at home.
>>
>>344101195
You know a device is phoning it in when they start dumping mikos, samurais, and other nip standards. Cf. Fire Emblem fates.
>>
>>344101195
>no option to be a boy dating a tough bara

what is even the point
>>
>>344101195
>20 years later
>still no gay option

why is Japan insist on being stuck in their backwards and barbaric ways
>>
I play for both, they work together to make a massive relaxing experience
>>
>>344103215
There was a game where you could be lesbians. But the option for it was removed when it got brought over.
>>
>>344103215
>
>>
>>344101195
Can I be a boy and date cute Fox Spirit (boy)?
>>
>>344103402
>>344103215
Fucking rekt
>>
>>344101195
Of course. What else can you do but farm?
>>
>>344101195
I did till I ran out of cash.
>>
>>344101195
Those are the new waifus for SoS 2? Are Dessie and Witchie back?
I haven't been keeping up.
>>
>>344101195
>Fox Spirit (girl)
>Fox Spirit (boy)
>look exactly the same
>>
File: 1461878845580.png (258 KB, 447x447) Image search: [Google]
1461878845580.png
258 KB, 447x447
>>344103215
>>344103504
Walk into traffic.
>>
>>344103697
They do have distinct differences around the eyes, but having the same name for both of them doesn't help matters.
>>
>>344103697
No, the boy has angry eyes and the girl has normal eyes
>>
What's the best harvest moon game on 3DS? I have RF4 but I want a straight farmin' game with no combat? Is it SoS? I heard the first year of that game is boring? Any opinions? I want to get a comfy farming game.
>>
>>344103780
>angry because other people have different preferences to them

It's time to kill yourself
>>
>>344102780
Friends of Mineral Town was absolutely fantastic though. The 120-day year was the perfect amount of time to make it feel like you have time to do what you want, all while time is still moving. 365-day year was always a little too long for me.
>>
File: Jamie.png (8 KB, 102x189) Image search: [Google]
Jamie.png
8 KB, 102x189
>>344103697
Not the first time.
>>
>>344101195
yes. the waifu shits ok but what really is appealing about the game is the day to day repetition while being bright, colorful, and rewarding. it's a lite-strategy game.
>>
>>344101195
also to tack on with your suggestion that people play it as a waifu simulator: theres usually no depth at all to the whole marriage aspect. give gift repeat.
>>
File: valutsfaces.gif (20 KB, 400x260) Image search: [Google]
valutsfaces.gif
20 KB, 400x260
>another cowboy
>fox option
This is going to be tough

Also for me it's usually (in order of importance): first making money any means necessary, upgrading tools and buildings, marriage, making friends with villagers, fishing, and last anything multiplayer related because it's completely shit
>>
>NA release date: 2017
oh my god all youre doing is just translating.. i don't see how this should take half a year if you have a team of translators
>>
>>344103996
>he fell for the 4chan is gay meme
No u
>>
>>344101195
>can't date fluffy tail
Why do they keep doing this.
>>
>>344101195
I do.

Because I'm gay and don't care for the marriage part that much. Stardew Valley was meh, but at least it let you be gay,
>>
>>344104312
Friends of Mineral Town was terrible. The reduced year made everything feel some rapid. You could farm fucking radishes in three days. The pumpkins - the things which were supposed to be a valuable risk of a goldmine - were reduced to around 20 days of growth. Running through 20 days is nothing.

Seasons just came and went far too quickly. In BtN, you looked forward to the holidays because they were the rare break from the routine. In FoMT, you had a holiday every other week. Plants grew too quickly, which means you got a flood of money ridiculously easy. Relationships were also pushed ahead too quickly as well. You could marry a girl without a year! Which meant going from unknown to full hearts in around 100 days, basically three months.

Another problem was that hurricanes and blizzards were common as fuck in Friends of Mineral Town. In the earlier games, they were a rare occurrence - and a fairly frightening one, at that. A hurricane could wipe out most of your crop if it showed up that year, and a blizzard could leave you housebound for three days, with animals getting sick. FoMT upped the occurrence rate to the point where you got one nearly every year, if not one hurricane each Summer. And the destruction was reduced appropriately, which meant a hurricane blowing through the area meant you lost maybe two or three plants. A blizzard just meant you wouldn't be mining for one day, and were free to leave afterwards.

And that's not getting into the bugs, or the content removed.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the appeal. Some people just wanted to rush ahead in the content, didn't want to spend months following a girl's routine to see new dialogue, and wanted to buy up all the new house/new supplies quickly. Being portable helped a lot, too. But the games before it felt far more like farming, far more like needing to devote time to planting and animal care and taking care of the place so that it would produce stuff to keep you going.
>>
>>344101195

When will we get manly husbandos?

I like men but end up almost always getting a wife because they're usually more fucking manly than the men.
>>
>>344105564
You forgot to mention all the content that mineral town have. From the mines to fishing or cooking even, for the amount of the me you invested you still had a lot of things to do between farming and socializing. It's not my favorite HM but the fact that it was on a accelerated pace doesn't mean it's terrible. Also tornadoes are easy as fuck to prepare to, you can make them totally useless by one Point
>>
>>344101195
fuck yeah i do.
love min/max my way to the top
basically create a perfect save, then use that as a springboard for all the waifu content.
that why in SoS it was fucking painful with its time-gated content since you never unlocked convenience items until the end.
>>
>>344106129
>Waiting until Year 4 for the Ferris Wheel
The Gold Linen Cloth machine kept me busy during the wait at least
>>
File: ds-cute.jpg (56 KB, 574x121) Image search: [Google]
ds-cute.jpg
56 KB, 574x121
>>344105781
Like HM: DS Cute? Those were the oldest, manliest husbandos (except for Rock)
>>
>>344106058
Mines are straight from Back to Nature/HM64. Hell, I think they were in the original game.

Fishing was straight from Back to Nature/HM64, except that the description of the Copper Fishing Rod wasn't bugged.

I'm fairly certain that the cooking was straight from BtN as well, although it's been a long time since I played either so I'm not 100% certain.

Tornadoes were devastating in Back to Nature if you were growing an expensive crop (like the 80-day pumpkins) and it hit at the wrong time. It wasn't such a concern if you were just growing corn for chicken feed, but it would still wreck your farm and require several days cleaning up. Also, one could keep you locked inside for several days. In Friends of Mineral Town, they were pretty minor overall. You could clean up after one in about a day of busy work, and most of your crops would probably come out of it fine - and it never lasted more than one day.
>>
>>344105212
How are you enjoying your first day here?
>>
>>344101195
I used to. But the farming never really evolved enough to justify buying every one of these games.

I usually buy Harvest Moon... well, I guess Story of Seasons now, every third generation. Usually.
>>
What is the best harvest moon game on 3ds?
>>
>>344107607
Story of Seasons

But check out HM: Magical Melody on the GameCube. It is the closest to the originals while still having tolerable new stuff.
>>
>>344105153
It's XSEED they have fuck all employees
>>
>>344107020
Exactly for a gba game to have all that content and still be a decent game thats why it gets all his merit. And that's a description error, not a bug. The fact that it managed to be compared to console HMs should be an indicative of why its good. Also the horse wasn't shit

And the tornado thing was because you made it sound like it was the worst thing ever, yet they are the mildest tornadoes in the series.
>>
>>344107607
Rune factory 4
>>
File: 3ds_top_0040.png (196 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
3ds_top_0040.png
196 KB, 400x240
Just wanted to say the new game is pretty good. Currently putting some time into it and I'm really liking it so far.
Also, no framerate problems so far.
>>
What's the best harvest moon game to get started on? I only played the mineral town one of DS, and it was alright.
>>
>>344107230
>not a faggot
>must be new
You don't even deserve a reaction image.
>>
>>344108986
Just jump into whatever one you find interesting.
>>
Do they actually have dialogue this time around? Or do they still just have one or two lines for every level still? Is flax still retarded?
>>
>>344109081
So you are enjoying your first day here? Looks like you are taking a little while to fit in, but that's normal.

Just so you know, lurking is advised for new users!
>>
>>344101195
Where should I start this series? I have a PS2/3/4, VITA, GBA, DS, and 3DS.
>>
>>344109340
Holy shit nigga, the exact same question was asked about 5 posts above you.
>>
>>344109312
Try harder faggot.
>>
is that it for the marriage candidates?
not really feeling any of them
maybe they will win me over in-game or something
twins are nice but you might as well be missing one candidate for the females.
>>
>>344109451
I specified systems though, that dude only has a DS and didn't have his question answered.

I find them all interesting which is why I want to play one. Or is this a series where they're all pretty much the same thing?
>>
>>344101195
I do. :3
>>
>>344102780

The original game only had 4 month seasons. Going a full 3 month season really drags the game's pace down
>>
>somehow get a copy of A Wonderful Life when I was really little
>Blockbuster, maybe
>Love it
>not Really sure what's going on, but I love the mining, and farming, and talking to people around Forget-Me-Not Valley
>Get it years later for real
>Still not understand the crop system (so much watering!)
>Feels like it takes forever to get any money
>Always waifu Celia

I've since had Tree of Tranquility, DS, and A New Beginning, and played all of them for hundreds of hours total.
I love the series, though I've held off on Story of Seasons for now.
>>
>>344103215
The Japs are probably fine with it, but they think it won't sell when they bring it over to the west.
>>
>>344111145
I will admit, I have a soft spot for A Wonderful Life. Even if I couldn't figure out how to care for cows at all. The growing was boring (although fairly easy). I spent most of my time at that triangle game, robbing those poor guys of all their money. I always ended up hooking up with Nami, simply because I couldn't stand to see her leave when married to anyone else.

The game definitely had its faults, but was charming anyways.
>>
>>344111843
>I spent most of my time at that triangle game, robbing those poor guys of all their money.
Same, except I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
Still don't.
>>
>>344112295
It's area grabbing. Enclose an area with your lines, and get the territory before your opponent does. The trick is to be greedy enough to grab a large portion that will net you the game, but not so large that your opponent will cut you off easily before you can complete things.

I think my winning strategy generally involved making a hexagon, then before closing it up, start placing lines like a snake outwards - so that a single line would close the whole thing and complete it immediately, if needed. I'd let them put a piece or two down trying to "block" me, then complete it and null out their pieces. The AI wasn't terribly bright at preventing that.
>>
>>344103851
Sunshine Islands or A New Beginning are considered to be the best.
>>
>>344103697
They're likely the same person.

Kitsune constantly genderswap to fuck with people. Males had no problem appearing as busty girls to play pranks on men.
>>
>>344101195
I do i just put as much effort into my wife as well.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.