[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sea Of Thieves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11
File: Sea-of-Thieves.jpg (171 KB, 1200x666) Image search: [Google]
Sea-of-Thieves.jpg
171 KB, 1200x666
RARE appears from the ashes with Sea Of Thieves.

Do you think the game will be a success ?
>>
Depends on how easy it'll be to play with random people. I can see it being good, but I don't think it'll be particularly amazing or anything.
>>
>>344070298
If I can't thieve other pirates' virginities, than what's the point?
>>
Rare's not even the same company that gained them the popularity in the first place.
>>
>>344070298
No.
Sea Of Thieves was a idea old rare had years ago before Microsoft acquired them
RARE now is a shallow husk of it's former self. Housing none of it's talent that it had back then.

This will bomb because the only thing Current Rare knows how to do is make mediocre as all fuck kinect games.
>>
Yes
Not sure if it will be long lasting success though. Its a shared world game, not an MMO. The only boats on the water will be player sailed, and its still tight lipped on what you will doing otherwise
>>
File: 1442606300081.jpg (107 KB, 848x900) Image search: [Google]
1442606300081.jpg
107 KB, 848x900
Depends on how it's handled. Everything at E3 nailed home that ships where a manned 3-5 player crew depending on size. I have no interest in shit like that since I know I won't have freinds ready to play, let alone 4 ready 24/7. Fuck randoms.
>>
I think it'll do moderately well.

Some questions:
1) Is it a lobby based system? Like, do you and a dozen other players join a 'match' and then faff about on a map until something is done? Or is it like Dark Souls, with an openworld setup where other players can randomly be added together if they choose to do multi? Or something entirely different, like an MMO?

2) Do we know if there's RPG-like progression, or is it all about just using the mechanics present in the samdbox and finding loot to deck out your ship/character with?

3) Any comment on singleplayer as a mode, or if it'll be viable to play solo? If it's lobby based with matches I assume there is an endgame goal, but if it's something else does that mean it has no end and is just meant for you to fuck about it in it until you grow bored?
>>
>>344070696
>what is Rare Replay
>>
>>344071905
1- Shared World game like Destiny, Division Dark Zone and a few other things. The game is CONSTANTLY matchmaking people together.

2- No clue
3- This is going to be online only, and there is a ship you can sail solo but its probably not going to be extremely viable.
>>
>>344070298
I guess I doubt it because right now I don't know how good current Rare is at designing games. I hope it does well though, I feel like new Rare can become its own thing and hopefully in the future they can get good enough to actually make Banjo Threeie, etc.
>>
>>344072137
A collection of games they didn't make. Except the mediocre Nuts n Bolts, and the fuck awful PD Zero.
>>
>>344070696
The current chief staff at Rare all worked alongside and learned under the old guard, and worked on Viva Pinata/Nuts and Bolts before the Kinect era started up.

Playtonic's staff seem excited to finally see the idea realized and confident in the current crew, too, and that's enough for me.
>>
>>344072137
Ports of games new rare had nothing to do with.
>>
>>344072541
but is it a mediocre kinect game?
>>
>>344072749
It was made years before Kinect existed, so no obviously.
>>
>>344072749
So your point is to ignore the shite Perfect Dark Zero, and focus on them making a semi mediocre game based of an old IP? Only a fool would be hyped for Sea of Thieves.
>>
>>344072541
>PDZ
>not good

I want this dumb meme to end.

Old Rare made literally fucking dozens of shovelware-tier dogshit alongside all their classics, current Rare stumbled hard with the Kinect games but aside from that has done well.

Sea of Thieves looks good, get the bug out of your ass over the staff changing.
>>
>>344070298
It's an idea that is relatively simple and there is a precedent for this method of MMO to actually work in providing a unique experience with other players without having the sectioned off and lonely feeling of other phase-based MMOs. I look forward to it a lot because it might bring back the social element MMOs have been lacking but that's a dice roll that can also make the game shit.
>>
>>344072749
>a compilation of old games
>"t-they still got it!"
And, no is not a kinect game.
>>
>>344073393
>get the bug out of your ass over the staff changing.
Because microsoft have a great track record of staff changing huh. Just look at GoW Judgement and H4/5.
>>
>>344073393
After Halo 4 and 5, you bet your ass I'm not gonna fall for the IT'S RARE GUYS!! hype. Rare are the name only, period.
>>
>Kameo
>Three Viva Pinata games
>Perfect Dark Zero
>Killer Instinct
>Nuts & Bolts

Nu-Rare has made plenty of good games, I really wish you nostalgiafags would stop crying about some of the staff changing and the Kinect games.
>>
>>344070298
Looks like kiddie land indie shit to me. I'll pass.
>>
>>344073564
>>344073689
Nu-Rare already has a proven track record, as I and >>344073757 pointed out.

They're not comparable to 343 and Halo, because they've actually made several good or great games to balance out the poor releases.

Just like Old Rare.
>>
File: 1442602738251.png (193 KB, 339x479) Image search: [Google]
1442602738251.png
193 KB, 339x479
>>344073757
They had nothing to do with the KI reboot, that was double helix and iron galaxy. Also
>PD Zero
>Nuts and Bolts
>Good
>>
>>344073340
Point is they're looking into old Rare's history, and hopefully that means good things will come from them soon. I don't know if they can make stuff as good as old rare, at least not yet, I think they should continue with new IPs as Sea of Thieves is doing, and once they get good again, then tackle stuff like Banjo Threeie. But as it stands, their more original recent stuff was decent, like Nuts and Bolts (tho it wasn't a good banjo game) and Viva Pinata, which everyone seems to ignore.
>>
No.

They haven't shown anything of significance about the game other than faked enthusiasm from Youtubers at E3 and a slice of gameplay demo at E3. We know it's a pirate game. We know you command ships.

But, we know nothing about the islands. How you explore. If there's any story at all. If there's any game structure other than if this is going to be Ark-type game for the Xbox One and PC with pirates.

It'll be good to merge the PC and Xbox players together in a cross-platform game, but that's about it. And that's about it. "Innovative" games like Project Spark from Microsoft have all fallen flat. I see nothing different here.
>>
>>344073757
>Kameo
Only one I agree with
>Three Viva Pinata games
Two technically, the DS one was meh. The 360 version was alright but diedquicly, and the expansion only prolonged the death by a few extra hours.
>Perfect Dark Zero
LOL
>Killer Instinct
Not them. Double Helix made it, Iron Galaxy finished it.
>Nuts & Bolts
Mediocre at best and based off an old IP so they had plenty to pull from.
>>
>>344074052
They had something to do with the KI reboot, according to wikipedia:

"Killer Instinct is a fighting video game, the third in the Killer Instinct series, developed by Double Helix Games, Iron Galaxy Studios, Rare and Microsoft Studios"
>>
>>344074052
PD Zero is a decent console shooter and Nuts & Bolts is extremely fun once you swallow down the anger over it basically being a spinoff rather than Banjo Threeie
>>
>every single rare thread
>HUR DUR RARE ISNT SAME PEOPLE WHO CARES
>there's still a few people including Mayles who didn't jump ship
>WHO CARES PLAYTONIC IS REAL RARE YOOKA WILL BTFO THIS
>but Playtonic and Rare are on very good terms and they like what Rare is doing with SoT
>SHUT UP MICROSHILL FUCK OFF

every thread. But we do need to see more of it.
>>
>>344074094
>It'll be good to merge the PC and Xbox players together
Why would i want to play with kids on consoles? It's been tried before and is always terrible.
>>
>>344074350
Rare had absolutely nothing to do with it, other than Robin Beanland sending over the old audio files to Mick Gordon. They're mentioned no where else, other than wiki with no source.
>>
>Horizon beat it for most unique game at E3

I really don't get it, every stream and article I read about Sea of Thieves said it was the standout game alongside Breath of the Wild. I know the trailer at the conference was kinda shitty because of the pewdiepie wannabes but the showfloor demos were much more relaxing and showed more than wasn't in the trailer.

Horizon has a unique setting but that's all I am impressed by a year after the reveal.
>>
>>344070298
I assume it'll be somewhat successful. Nu-Rare is pretty good at making large games and making technically well made games still. I expect Sea of Thieves to have a lot of content, but whether that content will be worth it, only time will tell. I do have high hopes for Rare though, Sea of Thieves sounds like it can be a really fun concept, though I'm wary of it because it seems a little open-ended and I don't know if Nu-Rare can really handle that well or not.
>>
File: 1438560388160.jpg (25 KB, 398x398) Image search: [Google]
1438560388160.jpg
25 KB, 398x398
>>344074378
Good, the next step is depression.
>>
>>344074990
Jokes on you faggot, I'm already suffering from depression
>>
>>344072137
A collection of old games current Rare didn't make
>>
>>344074884
The GameCritic awards are based pretty much entirely on the showfloor demos.

Horizon had a huge number of demo booths, whereas MS reportedly focused on their other gsmes over SoT.

My guess is that it was a numbers game, mixed with a tinge of how journos mostly prioritize 'mature' games over cartoonish or all-ages ones.

Though personally I still think there were more original games than SoT, Horizon winning is kinda dumb, yeah.
>>
I know nothing about this game.

Is it some survival crafting open world game? If so, trash.

Is it some free to play model game? If so, trash.

Is it some game manchildren who can't let go of the past are holding up as the next coming of christ from a few videos of cutscenes with a sprinkling of what little gameplay there is available? If so, trash.

Is it some game stuck on a specific system? If so, trash.
>>
I just want to plunder other players treasures desu.
>>
>>344074884
Horizon at least presented a good representation of how the game will play. After two E3's, I still don't really know what sea of thieves is. Is it an MMO, or just an online MP game? Is there even SP? Is it land based, or naval combat based? What do you do when you're not fucking around with bros on the open sea?
>>
>>344074730
""At Rare there are not many people who worked on the original game who are there any more," Rettig explained, "but there are some people who worked on it. We send builds to them. We get their feedback, and we factor that in to how we approach the game."

However, Ken Lobb, the veteran Microsoft games executive who worked on the original game as well as Rare classic GoldenEye 007, is "intimately involved".

"It's unstructured," Rettig said. "We want to make sure when we're making it we're staying true to the original game and Rare is good at helping us with that. But the real standard bearer for that is Ken Lobb. He's the guy keeping that alive. He has the knowledge of all the systems."

I followed wikipedia's source.
>>
>>344070298
Yes, I really fucking hope so. This game is the only thing I am looking forward to for the nearest future.
>>
>>344075347
It's none of those.

Though you're autistic for including the last one.
>>
Critically? Probably

Commercial wise I think it will flop. I just don't know how you market a game where you need multiple other people just to sail your ship, especially to the xbox crowd
>>
File: Banjoo.png (280 KB, 2700x2113) Image search: [Google]
Banjoo.png
280 KB, 2700x2113
>>344075092
Acceptance is next!
>>
>>344075660

Then what is this game?
>>
>>344075818
>no type of game can even exist except THE ONE I HATE
>>
>>344075662
You send it out to fuckloads of youtubers and streamers, make it accessible to kids, bundle it with a headset, and cram it full of physics effects and such so even people who don't get it for free make wacky youtube videos of it.

That plus a marketing push focusing on it being about adventure with friends and action filled ship to ship combat, since the former is known to be popular and AC IV proved the latter is an untapped niche.
>>
>>344070613
This.

You realize the people at rare now are the people who made lame shit like Kinect games and the like... right?
>>
>>344076015

So are you gonna tell me what kinda game it is or not dude? I said I didn't know anything about it.
>>
>>344075243
>>344075403
That is true, they also weren't talking about a lot of features and expanded gameplay in the interviews. It's a 2017 title so chances are we will see it at next years E3, prolly expanded capabilities with Scorpio. MS tends to backload their first party games for the second half of the year instead of having an even spread.
>>
this game existed already and was already DOA. It was called guns of icarus.

Same game, same concept, same failure. Video games are inherently not people who like to work on teams.

Games where you have to work as a team to accomplish things one person could do are boring. Nobody wants that.
>>
>>344076179
Honestly, yeah, at least 50% from the viva piñata days. Only the poster boys left for Playtonic and not even all of them.

It's not like they wanted to do the Kinect stuff, they were forced into it.
>>
>>344076291
This is going to be what GoI could've been.
>>
>>344076179
We've been over this anon, read the thread.

>>344075818
Open-sea multiplayer action game with a tropical setting and focus on naval combat plus exploration.

We dunno if there's any story elements yet, but it's on Xbone + PC, has no crafting, is pay to play, and this E3's trailer was a montage of a bunch of players dumped into it for the first time with no instructions and what they did (hint: it involved cannons and lots of sand)
>>
>>344076501
No it isn't, it isn't going to be anything.

I can tell you immediately, from the basic gameplay reveal trailer, that this fails. "Rare" means nothing to anyone, they aren't even a name anymore btw.
>>
>>344076504
>this E3's trailer was a montage of a bunch of players dumped into it for the first time with no instructions and what they did (hint: it involved cannons and lots of sand)

Hi, I understand you're being paid to post here about this game. Don't ever phrase things this way, as you just gave yourself away as a marketer. 100% obvious.

we don't beat around the bush here with the ":3 hehe it involved sand!! :3"

nobody cares what happened the first time people played a game because guess what? that's 5 minutes of your experience with any game and then it's gone forever.
>>
>>344076179
The guy known as the father of Banjo is the lead. Could be gud.
>>
File: MIGHTY_mainart0826_fix[1].png (799 KB, 1000x737) Image search: [Google]
MIGHTY_mainart0826_fix[1].png
799 KB, 1000x737
>>344076958
>The guy known as the father of Banjo is the lead. Could be gud.
>>
File: 1444017194342.png (495 KB, 1244x989) Image search: [Google]
1444017194342.png
495 KB, 1244x989
no sea shanties no buy
>>
Does anyone know the source of the song heard in the e3 trailer?
>>
>>344076758
>wah wah wah he didn't call him a nigger and acted friendly so he's a shill

God I hate neo /v/

You cunts don't know what shills look like, I bet you weren't even here for the worst of it back when Borderlands was coming out.
>>
>>344077156
but inafune is not megaman father retard.

He just made mediocre artwork for some games and thats all.
>>
>>344077156
Gregg is a very talented designer,, a shining light of creativity and all things Rare.

Inafune is a business man.
>>
>>344077156
Please don't compare a hack to Gregg Mayles.
>>
>>344076291
>Video games are inherently not people who like to work on teams.
Sure, thats why moba's and all the other team based genre's are so popular.
>>
>>344077505
has nothing to do with any person

has to do with something that /v/ refuses to learn

every game was made in a time and a place by a team. take away the time, place, and team, and the figurehead's name means next to nothing.

/v/ refuses to learn this. It doesn't matter what Gregg did when he was surrounded by actual rare. He's now surrounded by a team who made kinect dance games. 22 year old imported indians, not 35 year old angsty white guys.
>>
>>344077402
It's uploaded to Rares You tube channel, senpai. It was made by Robin Beanland.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1286x855) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1286x855
>>344077673
I guess Yooka Laylee is gonna suck too, it's just the composer of banjo and a bunch of literally whos
>>
>>344077661
annnnnnd by posting that you've shown you have 0 experience playing mobas.

if you had any experience playing mobas you'd know that 99% of players have ZERO ability/intent to work together as a team.

>all the other team based genre's
all the other team based genre is? all the other team based genre possesses? what?

You mean like shooter games, in which "team" means nothing more than "you don't shoot these guys"? right.
>>
>>344077941
Probably. Things trying to ape a thing from 20 years ago generally suck.

a place, a time, a feeling. these things are important to making games-- and /v/ doesn't get that.
>>
>>344077941
People seem to forget those at Playtonic all worked on the Kinect games as well.

They are on the same level as Rare skillwise.
>>
>>344077941
Buts and Bolts was good if you pretended it didn't feature Banjo. Episode 7 is a shot for shot remake of ANH though so at least that half of the analogy holds up.
>>
File: 1447030782273.jpg (17 KB, 287x277) Image search: [Google]
1447030782273.jpg
17 KB, 287x277
>>344077941
yeah man that trailer was garbage just like the MN9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gxLvbX3Ow
>>
>>344078451
People thought TFA trailers were good too.
>>
In order to really strike gold with this game they should make it like an MMO. I wanna see city's, settlement building, raids, good first person non-ship combat. It needs to be rich in content. Shooting the same cannons at boats all day is gonna get really fucking old.

A good crafting system would also be dope
>>
>>344078209
Nuts and Bolts was still good even if you acknowledged Banjo you dingus.
>>
>>344070298
is this an xbox exclusive?
>>
>>344078720
>I want it to be yet another fucking survival game with wifflebat melee combat and shitty settlement construction

Nah m8 fuck off.

It needs big islands with exciting shit to explore with a bit of platforming plus traps/animals, plenty of neat swag to find, lots of ship variety, great music, and some dynamic weather. That's really it.
>>
>>344079119
Those aren't real anymore.
>>
>>344078984

I didn't play any Banjo games before Nuts and Bolts and it sucked shit.
>>
I am going to buy it and play the shit out of it op.

If it reaches a certain thresh hold I will shill the fuck out of it desu senpai
>>
>>344070298
i really hope it has npcs like villagers and bar tenders that you can steal booty from
>>
>>344079531
no u
>>
>>344079175
The melee doesn't need to be great, just decent, and what's the point of being a pirate if all you do is some platforming in some abandon ruin? Boarding and capturing ships needs to be a thing along with a basic faction system, and before you give me a ton of shit about having to model several different factions the inevitable implied time period and location makes it so they can effectively all be recolors and use the same set of models.
>>
>>344079531
Yeah this meme needs to stop, nuts and bolts is shit regardless of "it's good if you pretend it's not banjo!" It's an inherently bad game. It's too long, extremely repetitive, absent of any creative level design or art. All rehashed music, terrible dialogue and presentation and pacing. It's just bad.
>>
>>344080354
abandoned*
>>
That "gameplay demonstration" at E3 was so fucking cringeworthy. Who decided it was a good idea to show a bunch of random Youtubers scream at the camera for five minutes instead of actually going over the gameplay elements? Who edits this garbage and thinks "Wow that'll sure make for a great presentation!" without ever second guessing themselves at any point?
>>
I am so fucking hyped for this game. I even checked their official forums. Like who the fuck even actually does that for a game thats not out?

Everyday I play guns of icarus just to be a little bit closer.
>>
File: offical microsoft ad.jpg (124 KB, 1020x680) Image search: [Google]
offical microsoft ad.jpg
124 KB, 1020x680
>>344081958
You may not have noticed it but Microsoft has one of the worst marketing departments in the world.
I mean look what they did to scalebound, that game was announced in 2013 and still nobody knows what type of game it is. According to interviews its an RPG but all they've shown gameplay wise is a giant co-op boss fight(where the person playing did nothing but stand in one spot shooting arrows while the other players actually fight it) and the MC running around in a field.

The only thing they have ever done right was giving their OS anime personas in china and japan.
>>
>kinect sports era Rare

No.
>>
>nu-Rare
Never.
>>
>>344083175
>>344081958
How'd the gameplay look though?
>>
>>344070432
This. I like the idea, but it doesn't look like they have any ambition to make a deeper game, and are content with just having a "Don't take it too seriously, play it wiht your friends and laugh and enjoy it for a few hours :^)"-mentality which will prevent it from being great I think.
>>
>>344083452
okay
What will make or break the game is the amount of stuff their is to do and if any of that stuff is fun or not.
>>
>>344083452
What gameplay?

The video shifted and cut through so many scenes so quickly that you could barely tell how the game would play.
>>
>>344084103
Guess I'll stick to manowar then.
>>
>>344084103
You can find non-official footage of it on YT. Some people just recorded the screen when they were letting people play the demo
>>
>>344081958
It was alright. It's a million times better than the painfully scripted tacticool presentations with interns talking to each other in military lingo.
>>
File: four.png (474 KB, 427x583) Image search: [Google]
four.png
474 KB, 427x583
Good God that gameplay reveal pissed me off. Why in the world would they bring in retards to scream and yell at the game? Because that's what the little kiddies are into? Good lord.
>>
>>344076958
Oh, you mean the guy that resented his greatest claim to fame being Banjo and tried to completely erase its legacy?

>"I guess we're all hoping for a clean start, that's what I think it'll do. It's kind of, 'There's your old Banjo games, let's put those in the past, you can remember how good those were, this is Banjo for the future."

He resents his accomplishments, while the Playtonic group takes pride in it and as a result got shitloads of money thrown at them just to bring it back.

He firmly believes that devs can't use their imagination because the player needs to do that themselves, and any game that doesn't depend on user-generated material is a "part-experience"

He is the entire reason Banjo got fucked over in the first place and him saying the same shit about this game proves he's learned absolutely nothing.
>>
>>344078639
TFA trailers were entirely hype and purposefully told you nothing about the movie. Yooka's trailer shows off literally anything about the game to would prove its doing everything it should be and more.

These people know what they're doing. They know how to manage these projects and they've fucking excelled at doing just that countless times in the past. Give them a chance, for God's sake.
>>
Since I mentioned them I decided to see what Man O'war corsair was up to.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMrh5q1VdM

apparently they're still progressing despite being in early access, and they've added melee since last I heard about them, I do think it's important to note that what ever community they have due to being early access had to convince them to add melee combat.
>>
>>344070298
there's literally nothing to do in this game.
Did you watch the same trailer as me?
they're exploring empty islands just to look at them.
You wanna play a video game just to look at empty islands? whatever floats your fucking boat.

>>344070432
Play with randoms? what kind of faggot are you. And why would some randoms want to play a couple hours with a fucking stranger exploring empty islands. Nah, go find some friends kiddo.
>>
>>344089854
sounds like somebody had a bad day at the office
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.