[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do negative reviews ever turn you away from a game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: glitter lucky.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
glitter lucky.jpg
166 KB, 1280x720
Do negative reviews ever turn you away from a game?
>>
If they point flaws I dont want to see in a game, yes.
>>
I want to cum in Cure Happy.
>>
nope
I dont trust anyones opinions but my own
Gameing journalism is bottom of the shit barrel cancer, and nothing will save it.
all steam reviews are garbage memes from redditors and /v/ shitters.
I dont buy games until I watch some gameplay of it through a youtube lets player or streamer
>>
File: 1174779903097.png (4 KB, 113x166) Image search: [Google]
1174779903097.png
4 KB, 113x166
I stopped listening to reviewers in the PS2/GC era. As they were consistently wrong. Plus, it was obvious to see that even back then, reviewers were giving games scores in direct proportion to their hype levels. Which its not hard to understand why. The whole point of a reviewer is to tell sheep what to like. And the easiest way to do that is to help hype something the sheep already are interested in.
>>
6-7/10 and up I will buy if I think it looks interesting. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don't. Anything lower than that and it usually is for a good reason
>>
>There are grown men that watch glitter force

It's fucking MLP tier babyshit. Only reason I know it exists is because my 5 year old sister likes it
>>
no why do i give a fuck about what someone else thinks of a game

if the gameplay is shit i'll stay away what the reviewer thought about it is not an issue
>>
>>344040765
of course, game reviewers definitely have my interests in mind
if IGN gives a game less than 8/10 its not worth my attention
>>
>>344040765
Depends on who the review is from. If it's from some scummy gaming journalists.. I don't take anything they say at face value, especially any game with anime artstyle. Gaming journalists seem to hate anything weebshit unless it's on a nintendo console.
>>
>That pose
>Not spreading her panties showing the stain to the camera
>>
Only if there are a lot of reviews about poor optimization.

I can't play a game that's laggy because it's coded like shit.
>>
sometimes negative reviews are the ones that make me play a game
>>
From media outlets? No. Single reviews from one person mean nought, regardless of how "qualified" they claim to be.

Aggregated scores are worth volumes though. Any game on Steam with a mixed or worse review is 100% guaranteed to be buggy, trash or buggy trash. Hell, I don't even trust games if they're listed as "mostly positive" since that indicates a large majority still think it's shit.
>>
>>344041812

This.

If "game journalists" nowadays see anime girls depicted in "scanty" clothing they'll slap the game shit score because of misogyny.

Then they go jerk off to a Miley concert where she's literally wearing no clothes. To justify all this they keep telling themselves how empowering it is for her to act like a whore and how she's a strong independent woman who need no man.
>>
>>344042106
>thinking about buying King Arthur 2
>read negative reviews
>"boohoo they removed province management"
>province management in 1 was completely pointless shit
>buy game immediately
>>
>>344041812

Reviewers give games with an anime athstetic a low score because its not what the majority of their audience likes. When the majority of your audience is a 12 year old male who is obsessed with Halo and GTA, then its easy to discount whatever isn't that style.

Reviewers have been doing it ever since the XBOX to be honest. I remember stuff like Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest getting downscored 1-2 points just because of their design and because they weren't popular. While the 'realistic' Final Fantasy games got near perfect marks.
>>
IGN and Gamespot are always ignored. I go to Tech-Gaming and RPGfan for RPG reviews, Hardcoregamer for other reviews. I have a soft spot for Gameinformer. First game magazine I ever got. I don't usually agree with any of their reviews though, especially for JRPGs
>>
>>344042256
I'm the opposite
Aggregate user scores don't mean jack shit, I'd rather carefully read the negative reviews
>>
>>344041295
I can definitely agree with you when you say gaming journalism is a joke.
The overall percentage of positive vs negative reviews usually accurately sum up a game's pros and cons.
But I can see where you are coming from with them being a bunch of memesters, and I have enjoyed my handful of games that were negatively reviewed.
>>
>>344040765
I'm more interested in negative reviews than positive ones. Chances are if I'm looking at a review I've already identified aspects about it I like or am interested in. What I'm more focused on are possible dealbreakers or issues I wasn't aware of like the mechanics, controls or performance that affect how enjoyable it is.
>>
>>344044675
It always helps to actually read reviews instead of just looking at the score
Like, I bet Bad Rats has shitloads of positive reviews because "haha epic guys rofl" but there's definitely always guys in the negative reviews going "this actually isn't a good game"
>>
I want to fuck precures.

But depends on the actual games and if I had particular interest in them or not. If the mechanics and gameplay are really bad and clunky, I probably wouldn't play it though
>>
File: 1393192312639_o.jpg (140 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
1393192312639_o.jpg
140 KB, 648x484
>>344040765
If someone can detail exactly why a game is bad in a lengthy review and I can form my opinion based on that, then why not?

If people literally judge games by scores alone instead of reading the review, they are retarded.
>>
>>344045484

Your not basing your opinion on the game since you haven't played it. You're basing your opinion on someone elses. And that's what people seem to forget. A reviewer comes with their own set of bias. And even if they don't do it consciously, they can influence people into not liking a game because they don't like it.

Reviewer doesn't like a specific style of art design? They voice how its 'too bright' or' lacks polish' or a whole host of things. So you skip on the game because '[x] said it was too bright'. But then you play the game 12 years later and find you love the style. Well the reviewer just fucked you out of playing a good game.
>>
File: lucky.jpg (70 KB, 712x475) Image search: [Google]
lucky.jpg
70 KB, 712x475
>>
>>344040765
nope, because I know reviewers are shit most of the time. basically I only ever hear about reviewers because /v/ keeps mentioning them in threads.

if not for /v/ I would never know what reviewers think about having played (or not) x games.
>>
>>344045910
What I do is that I find a reviewer who has the same base general opinions on videogames as I do, then go from there. I don't listen to what some Polygon or Kotaku faggot says because none of them represent my point of view, but it's nice to get an opinion before you buy a potentially expensive and shit game.
>>
I've bought many 9+ scoring games that I didn't really enjoy, So no, they don't
>>
>>344040765
No, I've been playing games for almost all of my life now so I know better than anyone what my tastes are like. Usually just looking at some screenshots, a gameplay trailer or even a written premise is enough to decide if I'll enjoy it or not.
>>
>>344046334

Well if you can find that reviewer who shares your exact views and gives a non bias point of view, then you are exceedingly lucky. The only time I ever found a reviewer like that was the early years of GameTrailers. And it only took them 2-3 years to become paid shills.
>>
>>344047205
Not exact, but close enough to know that if they like a game, I am likely to like it also.
>>
>>344041721
>glitter force
EOP detected
Stay pleb
>>
File: facepalm_drcox.gif (189 KB, 220x216) Image search: [Google]
facepalm_drcox.gif
189 KB, 220x216
>"Its the Game of Thrones of video games!"
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 600x338
I want Laura Bailey's voice to serenade me to sleep.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.