[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cutscenes before bosses make the boss fight worse. Running around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
Cutscenes before bosses make the boss fight worse.

Running around in Diablo II stumbling upon a boss for the first time was terrifying.

I was scared shitless when the Taurus Demon jumped down in front of me in Dark Souls.

Having a cutscene as an "intro" just ruins the immersion.
>>
>>344014514
Yes
Well, cutscenes shouldn't be in every fucking game. It kills the pacing. When I'm playing an action based game, I want some fucking action. This is where most modern games lose me with hours of unnecessary dialogue to drive the over blown story.
>>
I don't think so. It depends. Sometimes a cutscene is needed for exposition which could really make the following boss fight more impactful and meaningful.
>>
They get it doubly wrong in Diablo 3. Not only do you have pre-fight cutscenes, you also have mid-fight phase transition cutscenes that take away control even if you set them to autoskip.
>>
>>344015131
There are more clever ways to do it.

Need certain platforms for the boss? Introduce the room before.

Weakspots? Just have the boss turn around in an animation or whatever.

What kind of expositions are you referring to?
>>
>that cartoonish and completely nonthreatening Butcher in Diablo 3

What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>344015857
The silly boss arena to go with it. It's almost like a flash game.
>>
>>344015857
>DUDE BUTCHER LMAO XD

Not even joking, Diablo 3 was completely designed to cater to fan boys and it didn't even work because they made it a cartoon instead of Gothic
>>
>>344014514
It can work sometimes if done well. Gaping Dragon had the best fucking intro ever, but I wouldn't want that kind of thing for every boss.
>>
>>344016107
You're correct about the Gaping Dragon, it was a pleasant surprise.
>>
>>344015857
>>344015998
>>344016039
>muh diablo atmosphere
diablo was never about atmosphere, it was always about OP loot and magic
>>
It depends, saying "no boss ever should have a cutscene prior to the fight" is moronic, it can make a boss better, especially if it's something significant story-wise, or even built anticipation because you think to yourself "oh shit, I'm going to fight THAT?!?". Other times it's better to surprise the player and just have a boss fight start without much prior warning works better.
>>
>>344016291
Too bad they sucked at those things too.

And it's not about whether Diablo is "about" atmosphere, it still ruins the experience.
>>
File: 1456935727445.jpg (141 KB, 534x820) Image search: [Google]
1456935727445.jpg
141 KB, 534x820
>walk into room
>waist-high cover
>>
>>344016514
I'm fine with cutscenes, but when they're corny it completely kills the suspense. If I have to see one more monster inflating its chest and letting out a roar towards the screen, I'm going to be fucking sick.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.