[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I git gud at this game? I can tell it's a good game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: lamulana.jpg (14 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
lamulana.jpg
14 KB, 201x251
How do I git gud at this game? I can tell it's a good game once I get past how shit I am at it, but I don't know if I go left or right, I don't even know what I'm supposed to do or where to go. I suppose it's the same with SotN and Super Metroid, and after all those are in my 3x3. General La-Mulana thread, as well.
>>
>I don't even know what I'm supposed to do or where to go.

That's the whole game.
>>
It's just bad game design when you have to use a guide to play properly
>>
>>344011191
Make screenshots of every tablet
You shouldn't need a single tablet for more than 1 puzzle
>>
>finish gate of guidance without any help
>have made some progress in temple of the sun/mausoleum of giants
>hear that the hints only get more and more cryptic and bizarre
>hear that there's an "inverse" area for each level and the gate of illusion is the harder version of gate of guidance

Guess I'm in for a tough ride
>>
>>344011410

>gate of illusion
>dimensional corridor
>the puzzle for the flail whip
>the mantras

You have no fucking idea.
>>
>>344011559

I'm abandoning the thread now before any of this shit gets spoiled
>>
>>344011191
Watch DeceasedCrab's LP.
>>
Don't use a guide and suffer like the rest of us

>I don't even know what I'm supposed to do or where to go

See you're already playing it properly

75 hours and I still never beat it, stuck on the mantra shit and now it's been so long I don't remember shit, it's basically impossible to pick it back up. Best 1.30$ I've ever spent
>>
>>344011191
well first you have to explain which version you're playing you buttmunch
>>
Thanks for encouraging me, anons, time to try to re-play La-Mulana at 4:50 in the morning.
>>
>>344011593

Even if it got spoiled, it still wouldn't make any fucking sense. Have fucking fun figuring this shit out on your own man.
>>
>>344011742

Steam version
>>
>>344011705
Mantras were absolute bullshit
>>
Don't use a guide. Write your own notes and solve puzzles yourself. It's the only way to truly play la-mulana. It will take some time, but the satisfaction of actually coming up with solutions yourself will be worth it.
>>
Here's few starting tips.

>Read the manual
It'll teach you a lot about how you should be playing, and lets you know how to get a very critical item.
>Buy scanner and scan things
Be it skeletons, tablets or things in background, scan them. You'll get hints, and something simply doing that is required for puzzles.
>Take notes
You can get an item that lets you save dialogs and tablet messages, but space on that is limited, so it really is best to keep some sort of physical notebook on hand and write down stuff to it.
>Take your time
Don't rush, if there's no eye in the screen and you think something might be up, you can even try things like whipping the walls.
>Talk to NPCs
Most will have one time hints, but there's few who have different dialog and hints as you progress through the game.

>>344011410
They do not have inverse areas. Rather backsides with completely different layouts, but still somewhat connecting theme to base area. For example, Mausoleum of Giants has backdoor to Graveyard of Giants, and Temple of Sun has one to Moonlight Temple.
You can access them through secret passages, but later on you'll get item that lets you traverse through intended doors.
>>
>>344011191

>Read all tablets, they're far more important than you think.
>Try to focus on a single area at the time, puzzles only start to involve multiple areas later in the game.
>If you beat the area boss, you're basically finished with the area for now. Focus on finding the ankh-related items.
>Translate the ancient Lamulanese language, their tablets offer the most important tips.
>Get the Gauntlet, it will make weapons far more powerful.
>>
>day 3 of running around and whipping random shit like a dumbass
>thinking is a concept long lost, trying to find meaning is meaningless
>desperately trying to find a way has only made me a husk of m former self, my goal is now long forgotten, I'm only searching for the tiniest bit of progress
>"maybe I should press down when I'm standing on this pot? I don't even know anymore man..."

Have you ever felt like you where dreaming whilst being wide awake?
>>
File: 1457462207099.jpg (4 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
1457462207099.jpg
4 KB, 262x263
I bought this game weeks ago and made me go insane. I've been advancing without a guide but it's been days by now without making any fucking progress, where the fucking fuck do I put the dragon bone.
>>
>>344011191
this isn't one of those games where you just git gud
>>
>>344012208

There's a tip about that pot, telling about the giant that points at it. The tip to open the second water flowage I never found. If it wasn't by the wiki I'd never have done it.
>>
>>344012440
In the Shrine of Mother.
The trigger for getting the place for it to appear is really weird, so getting help with it should be fair.
You need to have map for the area, and must have used the combined map software.
>>
>>344012440

the headless statue in the bottom left of the shrine of mother, use it right above it's neck
>>
>>344011191
>>344011410
Do you guys at least have the Grail? If you've got that and the HandScanner, you can get through most of the game without it being too nightmarish.
Some puzzles are bullshit though, admittedly.
>>
File: 1449607819674.jpg (18 KB, 320x242) Image search: [Google]
1449607819674.jpg
18 KB, 320x242
>>344012648
>>344012695
Yeah, I knew it was there because of a tablet but fuuuuuck man.

The other "route" I have to explore was beating the giant eye monster in the inferno cave, but fuck that thing too
>>
>>344013573
Yeah, Viy is pretty tricky, and beating him doesn't really unlock any immediate benefits from what I remember. It's fine to leave him for later.
>>
>>344013340
Dude that's like some basic level 1 shit, don't mislead people. You could have 10 Grails and 20 scanners, Gate of Illusion would still be absolute bullshit.
>>
>>344013573
>tfw I beated that monster without the grail
Got stuck on chamber of birth.
>>
>>344014023
>>
>>344013872
One of my friends made it to save point of Inferno Cavern without Holy Grail. It's pretty important to make sure that people actually found it.
>>
>Time Bending Chimera of Infinite Hitboxes
>didn't know I was missing a key item for the fight
>still beat it without it and got an achievement for it

Best experience with the game

>>344014183
How do you even miss it in the first place?
>>
>>344011191
Yeah, the game is pretty fucking brutal.

If they just put the necessary clues in the same section of the ruins as the puzzle instead of potentially across the entire game world it would be much more manageable.
>>
>How do I git gud at this game
The puzzles?
Pretty much every puzzle has its location and solution spelled out by tablets scattered throughout the ruins. If you've been writing down the tablets on paper (or saving them with TextTrax) then the only real difficulty is finding the tablets themselves, which is easy if you methodically explore each room of each level. If you've just been YOLOing through the ruins not keeping track of everything you've seen or read, of course it's going to be a pain in the ass.
What's that? You haven't been writing down the tablets and making your own maps as you go because you're not autistic? Well, break out that pencil and paper, asshole, because you get to revisit each level all over again if you want to stand a chance of piecing together anything. There are maybe four real puzzles in that game (Flail Whip, Gate of Illusion "bended knee" bullshit, entering Hell Temple, and the Mantras).

The bosses?
Git gud. Ellmac's tracks seem too random? Git gud. Getting killed by Bahamut's Cheeto balls? Git gud. Spirit of the Mother fucking you up when she gets to her Baphomet ability? Git gud. Literally everything about Palenque? Git gud

>>344013573
>The other "route" I have to explore was beating the giant eye monster in the inferno cave, but fuck that thing too
Viy is the easiest boss in the game.
>>
File: tryhard engage.gif (3 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
tryhard engage.gif
3 MB, 444x250
>mfw gate of illusion
>>
Question time lids:

I played La-Mulana a couple years back, made it to mantras and then dropped it cause of studies. There's no way I can pick it up from there so if I want to play again I have to go back to the beginning.

Do I try to play it once again or should I play Jeanne D'Arc instead?
>>
>>344015556

Maybe you'd like to warm up before the sequel comes out.
>>
>>344015843
That's what I'm thinking. I know how to bend the knee and how to dive the pot but beyond that I'm completely fucked
>>
>>344016218

Those eight tablets in the Temple of the Sun will tell you where the mantra tablets are. You have to do it in reverse order, from the last area to the first. The wedge of where to use the respective mantra is in the boss' room, but of the backside of the area (the flaming compasses are to be used as reference to what room in the front reprensents in the back, basically you must put the two compasses of both sides ontop of eachother, and look at the frontside boss room to find where the boss should be in the backside). After you drive the mantra into the wedge, move to the next area and repeat the cycle.

gg easy
>>
>>344017061
Just started a new game m8, gg. Just gonna do it the old-fashioned 'flail whip puzzle' way, try random stuff till it werks
>>
>>344017248

Godspeed anon, godspeed.
>>
>>344017248
dont hit anything when the eyeball is on the screen

for the new players out there use these two guides when you inevitably get stuck and wander the maps and solve literally nothing for like 4 hours

Cartograhper's Guide to La Mulana
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214671990

Cheshire's hint-based guide to La-Mulana
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096
>>
>>344011559
>gate of illusion
God. That fucked me up really badly and I still don't know how I managed to get through it.
>>
>>344014705
>Viy is the easiest boss in the game.
Bahamut was much easier for me.
>>
>>344019659
Thanks man but I'm actually veteran enough to know not to hit eyeball screens. Except for Moonlight Temple. Fuck Moonlight Temple
>>
you need autistic levels of taking notes in the game, sometimes hints for a certain puzzle are in another area completely unrelated to the puzzle, so take notes of every single hint, scan everything, even the name of some rooms are hints, so add all room names to the pile

This is why I dropped the game, I don't like having to take notes while playing games.
>>
>>344020953
Man you should see my old La-Mulana notes, solid proof of autism right there. 60 something pages full back and front and I STILL didn't beat it.
>>
>>344014310
>How do you even miss it in the first place?
Probably because you can walk out of the Gate of Guidance into three different zones (admittedly, only one of which you can traverse safely without key items) without having to solve any of the puzzles whatsoever.
>>
I'd like to take a moment to say:
FUCK THE CHAMBER OF BIRTH
>>
>follow a walkthrough and a map
>enjoy game despite turning into a linear castlevania that offers high level of challenge rather than mind fuckery
>complete game 5 times because it's so fun
I don't care that I didn't get the "intended experience", whipping, axing and spamming mantras just because the effect looked cool was great fun for 100 hours.
>>
>>344021768
>linear
What? La Mulana is open as fuck
>>
>>344022684
I'm saying following a guide and walkthrough makes the game a linear experience. Which is still fun.
>>
LA MULANA 2
W H E N

H

E

N
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.