[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was it so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15
File: alan-wake-1[1].jpg (103 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
alan-wake-1[1].jpg
103 KB, 1920x1200
Why was it so bad?
>>
>>344005189
They made an idea and couldnt let go of it
Example, instead of using a shitty flashlight, why not start fires in a house, using the lighting in the room could be a lot more fun and a better mechanic during fights
>>
it's not. One of my favorite games of all time. Spooks me worse than any other horror game. Can't think of a game with better atmosphere.
>>
It's actually a good thriller. Gameplay works well, good story.
>>
>>344005189
Did you play it? It's fucking brilliant. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's one of the absolute best games of the the 7th gen.
>>
>>344005189
It wasn't bad at all. It's a really good game, worth playing
>>
>>344006453
>Spooks me worse than any other horror game.
Really? I'm a huge pussy and besides the first forest area, the game didn't get me once.
>>
The protagonist is absolutely insufferable. Granted, I understand that's the point, but god damn Alan is fucking awful.
>>
The gameplay did take a hit from focusing on the twilight zone parodies and all the other side-stuff. But it's hardly a bad game.
Now American Nightmare was pretty painful but the survival stuff was pretty fun.
>>
It was fucking awesome. It was like watching a great TV show. Yes they could have added more varied weapons but virtually everything else was perfect.
>>
>>344006989
its not about being got by a ooga booga jumpin on you ya dork, its about the general oppressiveness and eeriness of the environment.
>>
>>344005189
I was replaying it, now I have about 30 hours on steam and it's a good game. Has some issues that bothered me but I would definately put it on a must play list due to the interesting storytelling and some neat mechanics
>>
The gameplay was shit and the story was boring.
Atmospherically it was a masterpiece though.
>>
>>344007318
hmm i thought the gameplay was really smooth and fun. The weapons had some great punch, and the flare weapons were satisfying as fuck, the light mechanic is a gimmick but why is that a bad thing? It's still better than the vast bulk of other third person shooters because of that gimmick so I don't see a problem. Pulling off dodges was really fun too.
>>
File: nautings.png (99 KB, 435x623) Image search: [Google]
nautings.png
99 KB, 435x623
>>344005189
>that stage part at the farm
>>
>>344007318
>It's shit in this way and it's shit in that way
>BUT it's a masterpiece in this way

You can't have your cake and eat it, m8.
>>
>>344007580
man you're making me want to replay
>>
>>344007549
Because generally in horror I find less is more. The less you see what's in the dark, the better. Having to shine a bright ass light on enemies to kill them which generally just appeared to be uninteresting humanoids just mind it boring and irritating.

>>344007613
What, I can't praise it for some aspects while stating others were shit? Don't be such a retard.
>>
>>344005189
One of my favourite games actually, story and atmosphere sucked me in, gameplay was by no means incredible but it wasn't bad!
>>
File: alan-wake-signal1_1686385c.jpg (12 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
alan-wake-signal1_1686385c.jpg
12 KB, 460x288
The DLC was fucking tight as hell incase anyone hasn't played them, highly recommended
>>
>>344007694
>just mind it
makes*
>>
>>344005308
>"Let's set fire to this house I'm in, that'll be a great idea"
>>
>>344005189
It's boring and pretentious and the story was pretty lame.
>>
I just started playing. It has some of the worst lip syncing I've ever seen. But the gameplay is interesting enough and I love the Twin Peaks vibe so I'm gonna try to finish it.
>>
File: session 9.jpg (5 KB, 313x161) Image search: [Google]
session 9.jpg
5 KB, 313x161
>>344007694
I tend to agree, but the game is so overpoweringly dark that your sole light adds to the creepiness. Similar to how a single flashlight illuminating an asylum or dark wood in horror movies is so effective. The light almost makes the areas of darkness more threatening, because you know you may reveal whats hiding in it.
>>
>>344007694
>What, I can't shit on the story and shit on the gameplay all the while praising the atmepehere

Of course you can, but you sound like a massive cunt. Or should we go into detail about why you found the atmepehere so amazing?
>>
the gameplay sucked ass. there's no redeeming it. it's just damage sponge with a boring flashlight. after the third slo mo shadow people appear you just want to turn the game off.

the story was interesting but not interesting enough. the John Mirra segments in MP2 were more intriguing.
>>
>>344008093
Sorry that my post triggered your sensitive little self, faggot.
>>
>>344007694
>Because generally in horror I find less is more.

Good thing Alan Wake isn't a horror game.
>>
>>344005189
"repetitive" and "too long" aren't necessarily bad when the game only has one or the other.

But when a game has both those attributes, like in this case, it's shit.
>>
>>344008092
True, but the fact that the light is a tool for killing the enemies as opposed to something merely allowing you to see where you're going, removes a lot of that tension. In no small part because light is damaging to the enemies. This, coupled with the always stupid mechanic of having to hunt down batteries, which is never a good idea, just hurts the game more than anything.

>>344008258
Well it certainly tries to be.
>>
>>344006810
>i'm a retarded console player who plays like the 4-5 most famous AAA games that come out by the way

Thanks for the contribution, you may leave.
>>
>>344008349
>Well it certainly tries to be.
No, no it doesn't. It's an action game. Remedy themselves don't even call it a horror game they called it a Psychological Thriller. The people who are disappointed with the game all got it into their thick skulls that it was a survival horror game.
>>
File: Fucking Metal.gif (339 KB, 400x235) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Metal.gif
339 KB, 400x235
>>344007580

>All those rock show pyrotechnics.
>>
>>344008093
Atmosphere.

It's atmosphere.
>>
>>344005189
Needed more enemies and more weapons or environmental hazards built around the light mechanic, otherwise it's a damn fine game.
>>
>>344008349
It really doesn't.
>>
>>344008346
Love the game but I agree they should have trimmed an hour or two.

But then you have people complaining about 8 hour game for 60$
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSUvoY2oUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvgbNPhASo
>>
>>344008527
An action game with poor gameplay that focuses on scavenging ammo and batteries for a flashlight. With spoopy floating enemies and a focus on the dark? This game quite obviously went the survival horror route, you'd have to be a moron to not see that.
>>
File: Mr. Scratch.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Scratch.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>344005189

This guy was pretty based.
>>
File: Chris-Evans-laughing.gif (948 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
Chris-Evans-laughing.gif
948 KB, 400x262
>>344008740
>Alan Wake
>scavenging items
>>
>>344008819
So you don't need to look around for batteries? Pretty sure you do.
>>
>>344007580
>>344008550
>>344007635

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-09plCa530
>>
>>344008740
>An action game with poor gameplay

It doesn't have poor gameplay

>focuses on scavenging ammo and batteries for a flashlight.

You're wrong, you don't remember this game at all.

It doesn't focus on this. You don't need the batteries to operate the flashlight it never goes out. You need the batteries if you want a longer boost. What you call "scavenging" is a neat thing from older games where you would pick up ammo in nooks and crannies.
>>
>>344005189
I loved it, it had great atmosphere and Sam's quality writing

>>344008705
This game made me discover POTF, good shit
>>
>>344008349
a technicality here but the flashlight doesn't actually do damage it simply removes the shield, I can see where your coming from but I still disagree. The resource management of the batteries is essential to keep the flashlight from being a overpowered laser beam that keeps everything at bay. You know you have to use it sparingly, which increases tension. ALso like another anon said it's billed as a psychological thriller, but to ignore the huge horror influences in the design and story is just stupid so I agree with you on that, it is definitely trying to be a horror game (successfully too. at least in my mind. But to each his own.
>>
>>344005308
Don't be daft anon.
Go play alone in the dark if you want that.

Alan wake's only flaw was the repetitive combat.
>Go to landmark
>Ambushed from all directions
>Shine light
>Shot shot shot
>Repeat until all dead
>Proceed to street lamp / next landmark / cutscene

The start where you had stuckey chasing you, the lodge with the ranger, the timber yard and the mental institute were amazing.

The game should've been more like those.
More memorable instances of encounters with the town population being "taken"
Each location or setting should have had a relevant selection of taken terrorizing Alan while he went through.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 301x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 301x168
Had no idea what this face was from before I played and it caught me totally off guard.
>>
>>344008958
There is no managment, you find ammo , batteries, flares while on a linear path.

There are nooks and crannies with better ammo. This is basic game design not "scavenging" or "survival horror". All games were like this
>>
>>344008885
No you don't because they are literally fucking everywhere. The game throws supplies at you like mad. If you have to go out and hunt for items you are pure shit at an already easy game.
>>
>>344008885
>never actually playing the game
>>
>>344008676
>you have people complaining about 8 hour game

You're reasoning like a Publisher and not an actual player.

It doesn't matter how mathematically long the game is. What matters is how long it feels when you play it.
>>
>>344008916
>It doesn't have poor gameplay
Yes it does.
>It doesn't focus on this.
But it's part of the game, along with ever other aspect I mentioned which would steer it closer to attempting survival horror.
>>
This is one of those games that shocks me with just how polarizing it is. I absolutely love it, the fmv tv shows you find are my favorite collectibles ever in videogames.
>>
>>344009103
>Yes it does.

No it doesn't. Guns feel very satisfying to shoot. Dodging is very satisfying when you pull it off. Controls are very tight, enemies react perfectly to light and the flashlight. The AI is smart enough to never get stuck, it's always faster than you it will always surround you. There was effort put into it

>But it's part of the game, along with ever other aspect I mentioned which would steer it closer to attempting survival horror.

>pickin up ammo, grenades, supplies is part of the game

You're an idiot. This is part of a game, not a part of a horror survival game
>>
>>344009083
true good point
>>
With regard to the genre of Alan Wake:
>Alan Wake is an action-adventure survival horror video game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wake
>Horror tag
Steam

So yeah, if it isn't trying to be a survival horror game, it's not exactly trying very hard.
>>
>>344009437
It's not trying to be a survival horror game. It's classified as horror because it deals with spooky supernatural stuff just like FEAR might be classified as horror
>>
>>344009272
Sorry you have shit taste in gameplay.
The ammo and items you can pick up have very limited capacity, forcing you to ration them carefully, not just run and gun like an action game. Supplies can be found off the beaten path and exploration is encouraged, it's not a difficult game, but using "it's easy" as an excuse to not consider these elements intended as survival horror is just idiotic.

It's obvious you're thickheaded as fuck though, so regardless of how blatantly obvious the survival horror aspects are, you'll plug your ears and scream "but it's an action game!!"

>>344009536
FEAR can easily be classified as a horror game, but not a survival-horror, not by a long way.
>>
>>344007030
The game presmise was more suited to an "open world" scenario more akin to the first Silent Hill.
Instead we got a linear experience with repetitive gameplay.
>>
you get two pills in the morning and THEN YOU'LL BE NICE AND CALM ALL DAY LONG
>>
>>344009817
You can thank Microsoft for that.
>>
>>344008885

Only if you're constantly swapping batteries. The flash light refills. You're actually calling the game shit because you're a shit player.
>>
>>344009658
>Sorry you have shit taste in gameplay.
>doesn't explain why the gameplay is shit

Survival horror is characterized by you being weaker or unable to fight your enemies and wonky controls making it difficult to fight your enemies and run.

In Alan Wake controls were tight and action orriented and it was possible to take out every enemy and never run.

Ammo stashes, diary entries in nooks and crannies are not a survival horror element..Most single player games had that, before this gen.
>>
The only major issue i had with Alan Wake besides the sprint shit time was how it relied heavily on the lose everything at the start of each level shit. Kinda felt like gameplay never really escalated enemy strength wise because you were always the same strength at the end of almost every chapter.
>>
File: hdtjkgbhtgfj.jpg (14 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
hdtjkgbhtgfj.jpg
14 KB, 240x320
I hate Alan Wake as much as I hate Stephen King's books.
>>
>>344010460

Clive Barker is where it's at.

Dean Koontz is King with a condom on.
>>
Story - decent
Atmosphere - top tier
Gameplay - absolutely terrible
>>
I hated how every 'ambush' started with a slo-mo zoom in on the enemies, completely removing any kind of tension.
>>
>>344010602
This, not scary if you know where they come from.
>>
I enjoyed both of them, thought the combat was pretty enjoyable. Bit derivative but what Remedy game isnt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUIzGImfIM8
>>
>>344005189
I didn't think it was too bad, but I have no desire to ever play it again. I also thought it was kind of a weird artistic decision to spoil the events of the game in found notes.
>>
>>344005189
It's just so god damn boring.

It's like a guide of how not to make games.
>>
>>344010513
It's a shame your dad didn't go the Dean Koontz route.
>>
File: 65464646.jpg (21 KB, 609x169) Image search: [Google]
65464646.jpg
21 KB, 609x169
>>344005189
It's not. I think some people just expected it to be an action/horror game when it's not either. It's billed as a psychological thriller and it's decent at it.

Gameplay wise, you'll be jogging through misty forests, fleeing from (or fighting) shadow enemies and running to light sources to protect yourself. I liked it a lot.
>>
File: god_of_war_tattoo_.jpg (41 KB, 707x356) Image search: [Google]
god_of_war_tattoo_.jpg
41 KB, 707x356
WARRIORS
TORCHBEARERS
>>
File: 1457631346141.jpg (44 KB, 320x486) Image search: [Google]
1457631346141.jpg
44 KB, 320x486
>>344010786
>Bit derivative but what Remedy game isnt
>>
>>344011252

>Dean Koontz route?

Nigger, I read Watchers, Intensity and the Frankenstein.

He's a dog love autist.
>>
File: 1447618579637.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447618579637.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>344007580

>That "episode ended" music they suddently dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSUvoY2oUk
>>
>>344012128
Joke

Your Head
>>
>>344012314
>"episode ended" music
Seemed a little weird, but goddamn, all of the songs they've used were god-tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbVhQHvrUw
>>
CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GODS

great soundtrack
>>
>>344007580
>>344007635
>>344007635
>>344008910
>>344012314

The funny thing is that through the entire episode I thought Barry was going to die, then the fat bastard surprised me.
>>
>>344012905
>then the fat bastard surprised me.

Covered in fucking Crhistmast Tree decoration. I almost died laughting.
>>
>>344009039
>having no idea who Max Payne The First is
You must be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>344008954
>This game made me discover POTF
>Not Max Payne 2

Pleb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCj-I4LoqtQ
>>
>>344005189
Because consoles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fqb5VRtTL8
>>
American Nightmare was better
>>
>>344016982

> run through the same area multiple times!
> we added a bunch of weapons but you're just going to use the crossbox 95% of the time
> level design is even less of a factor so it's as much of a backstrafe simulator as the base game
>>
>>344013940
I recognize Max Payne but I wasn't expecting to see that face on a telly in AW
>>
>>344014436
Max Payne 2 didn't get you into Poets you lying faggot. MP2 came out in 2003 and Poets didn't release their first album until 2005.
>>
File: WgTMBc3.gif (980 KB, 245x140) Image search: [Google]
WgTMBc3.gif
980 KB, 245x140
>>344005189
>>
>>344005189
It's a great game, so is American Nightmare (or whateve it's called).
>>
Poets of the Fall is sweet and the game is pretty good. Night Springs is based.
>>
>>344012314
>>344012712
I started to appreciate the musical interludes when this track came round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9r-Lq1_5Y

It was implemented really well at the end of its episode.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.