[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valve buyout by Microsoft soon? Gaben has been very quiet recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: valve plus michaelsoft.jpg (15 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
valve plus michaelsoft.jpg
15 KB, 256x256
Valve buyout by Microsoft soon?

Gaben has been very quiet recently during the thawing of Microsoft/Valve relations.
>>
>>343955871
Hasn't Gaben been quiet on pretty much everything, when has the fucker last been seen announcing something or speaking in public?
>>
File: Gaben_newell.jpg (1 MB, 1098x1647) Image search: [Google]
Gaben_newell.jpg
1 MB, 1098x1647
>>343955871
>Gaben has been very quiet recently
>He must be thinking about selling his billion $ company to his competitor
>>
>>343955871
>microsoft buys Valve and shuts down steam to promote Windows store
>>
>>343955871

Don't even joke about this shut man. Valve is shut but Microsoft is waaaaaaaaaay shittier.
>>
>>343955871
Hmm, spyware, kiddie gambring, not making shit, just shekels? It's moar rikery dan yu tank!
>>
Not a chance. Valve is about to be fucked in the ass by the U.S. government for essentially running a gambling syndicate for kids and MS would never want to buy a company in such deep shit.
>>
>>343959290
>Valve is about to be fucked in the ass by the U.S. government for essentially running a gambling syndicate for kids
lol ok
>>
>>343955871
>the thawing of Microsoft/Valve relations.
Source
>>
>>343959290
By that direction of logic, wouldn't YouTube also be guilty of complicity?
>>
>>343955871

Microsoft is worth 35 times what valve is lel. How do you propose this transaction happens

Also valve has given the finger to directx and all things microscoft
>>
Not gonna happen. Ever. Valve is a privately held company, so it has no shareholders that can sell out the company for short term profit and valves current standing in the PC game market is almost absolute. Microsoft doesnt even have enough assets to make a decent offer. They could offer 10s of billions and it still wouldn't be worth selling.
>>
>>343961574
Learn how to read.

Also, it wouldn't happen.
>>
>>343959290
>valve
>third party websites
Know the difference it could save you some embarrassment.
>>
>>343962178
I know very little about business law, but they were some people on a previous thread saying even if they were third party websites, Valve is still responsible.
>>
>>343962478
>but they were some people on a previous thread saying Valve is still responsible.

Yea we tend to call those sonycucks
>>
>>343962478
>>343962178
The crates are basically slot machines, is what is being said. Even if it 'gives you something back,' the item is not what you paid in, so it's not buying, but rather gambling due to losses.
>>
>>343962178
lawyers have talked to reporters who have said valve maintain direct communication with gambling sites to help them with their bots

not to mention they allow those sites to use their API and IP (game skins)

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4rep4f/we_are_bryce_blum_ryan_morrison_and_jeff_ifrah/d50jen5
>>
>>343962934
It's not gambling though when the shit you can "win" is a series of 1s and 0s. This is no different than the old slot machines that paid out in gum during the gambling prohibition. When you're not winning money, you're not gambling.
>>
>>343959290
>Valve is about to be fucked in the ass by the U.S. government for essentially running a gambling syndicate for kids
That's never going to happen, and calling it a "gambling syndicate for kids" is a pretty big stretch.
>>
Phil said in an interview that while the prospect of buying valve sounded nice, both companies would prefer the competition.

I think that in this next year if the windows store is still doing terrible even with all the xbone games they'll consider it more.
>>
>>343963581
Why would a company prefer to have competition?
>>
>>343963237
I don't know anything about CS Go, but isn't the API opensource?
>>
>>343963719
To prevent further monopoly lawsuits
>>
>>343963719
No competition=no reason to innovate. If only one manufacturer made pc parts why would they bother making a faster processor? Why would they bother expanding memory? Competition is the sole reason anything new gets made. Without it We'd all still be playing intellivision.
>>
>>343963581
gaben has previously said he thinks microsoft is shit and i doubt that's changed as microsoft has only got worse
>>
>>343959290
>implying the US government gives a fucking shit
lol
>>
>>343963719
fuck off commie
>>
>>343963750
ignoring the api which is available to everyone, some news site said valve is in skype groups with some of the gambling sites, helping them with their website
>>
>>343963324
>imblying monies aren't 1s and 0s in all reality
>>
>>343963945
>>343964018
I understand why competition is good for the consumers but why would Microsoft want it? Wouldn't Microsoft love to just sit on their ass and pump out the same shit every day?
>>
>>343963959

Every man has their price. Gabe knows what it's worth and would prefer not to be lowballed. He learned from MS as an employee in the past.

Now the cost of steam is too high for the higer ups to greenlight and I doubt Gabe takes MS shares as payment.
>>
I will stop using Steam if it happens.
>>
If steam is private why doesn't every company go private? Seems you can't be touched by buyouts and the such with everyone knowing your business?
>>
>>343964215
Go try to pay your rent with a counter strike AK then and let me know how that goes.
>>
>>343964104
"""news sites"""

Besides, even if they were (which is fairly doubtful to begin with,) it's not likely that they had full knowledge that the creators of the sites were deceptively shilling the sites
>>
>>343964248
A company only grows by innovating. If Microsoft was the only company that could make PCs and never innovated in them, after 10 years why would anyone buy a new computer? It would be identical to the one you already have.
>>
>>343961919
Came here to say this. Although I also wouldn't be too sure about the "ever". If Valve gets hit by a lawsuit over this gambling thing, they may have to sell some stock out of desperation.
>>
>>343962934
You pay for content. Sometimes that content isn't worth shit, sometimes it's worth a ton, but either way you get something back for your money, something which has a value determined entirely by other players. You are guaranteed a minimum return on your expenditure. None of this has anything to do with gambling.
>>
>>343964584
Ya but they dont /need/ competition to innovate. Wouldn't a company love to be able to innovate their products at their own pace?
>>
>>343964391
>I have $1 million for my business.
>By staying private I can maybe get $2-3 million from investors.
>Need $30 million to meet manufacturing demands.
>Go public=everyone is an investor
>Fuck loads of money but with loss of control

Company's don't "go" private. They start private and go public when they have no other choice. If it can be funded without going public it's almost always a better deal for the company and the employees.
>>
>>343955871
Didn't EA already tried this and failed?
>>
>>343965042

I wouldn't say it's a last choice, a lot of companies salivate at the option to go public like Facebook or Google. There are some companies that go from public back to private though, like Dell did back in 2013 when they bought back control.
>>
>>343964959
It's a business not a charity. If they have no reason to innovate,why would they? As a favor for you? KEK
>>
>>343965274

How is dell staying afloat anyways? All I know is they make some of the best monitors
>>
>>343965317
No but because of what >>343964584 said.
>>
>>343965272
They offered a billion dollars back in 2012 or thereabouts. Newell was quoted then as saying they'd rather disintegrate than let another company buy them up, so that's where we are now. Doubt anything's changed, other than Valve is worth even more now than it was then.
>>
>>343965272

EA offered 1 billion which is laughable since valve makes that in profits every year. Might be more now.
>>
>>343964402
Funny anon!

You can only pay the rent in knives.
>>
>>343965443
I think they started focusing more on the business-to-business sales model since the PC market is in a lull. For most non-gaming people personal computing is done on tablets or cell phones now, the only real market is in office spaces to actually get a profit.
>>
>>343965556
Not that I disagree that valve PROBABLY makes upwards of a billion in profit every year, they are a private company and they have never released financial data. So, nobody knows how much they're really worth.
>>
File: literally_shaking.jpg (60 KB, 620x403) Image search: [Google]
literally_shaking.jpg
60 KB, 620x403
tl;dr = Valve is the Netflix of vidya, except better, because it's not publicly traded. And they're not going to be bought out by Comcast/TimeWarner any time soon—so likewise, Valve isn't going to be bought out by Microsoft any time soon.
>>
>>343965860

The steamspy guy made an estimation of sold games and took a 30% cut from it. It was around 1 billion in profits. But steamspy isn't counting private accounts, or the store shit like tf2/dota, and could be missing other shit.

http://gearnuke.com/steam-sales-2015-valve-generated-total-3-5-billion-paid-games/

But yea we don't know exactly how much it's just a guess
>>
>>343962934
The prices of the items are are conducted by the community not Valve. It's not Valve's fault kids are spending mom's credit card on fancy skins. Besides that, Source multiplayer games are 17+.

Kids are so stupid it hurts.
>>
>>343962934
Pretty much every F2P or B2P game has this kind of random crate that you pay for.
If people trade their shit outside of Steam, how is it Valves problem?
>>
>>343964758
>sell some stock
What stock? There is no stock.
>>
>>343966546
I think he meant they may have to go public as a result of any potential lawsuits.
>>
>>343962934
>The crates are basically slot machines

I spend real money to buy a W, inside is a guarantee of X but it's random and I have no control over it being a Y or a Z

W = Crate, Pack of Pokemon card
X = Skins, Cards
Y = Sand Dune P250, Potion
Z = Hyperbeast AWP, Charizard
>>
>>343964104

>Skype groups

lol yeah okay
>>
>>343965443
>All I know is they make some of the best monitors

They actually don't make them, their panels are made by other companies like LG.

The good thing about buying from Dell is all their high end monitors (Like Ultrasharps) get a manual inspection before shipping so you aren't getting dead pixels or fucked up panels. Where as the exact same panel directly from LG in an LG monitor won't get inspected and you might need an RMA if it's got issues.
>>
>>343959290
Go to bed, Ethan. Nobody cares about your meme videos.
>>
Why not do a hostile takeover, like that guy who bought MEGA?

Essentially, you buy shares under different aliases until you have a majority.
>>
>>343966002
>fallout 4 dialogue choices.jpg
>>
>>343971665
>not Brutal Legend dialog choices
>>
>>343971327
You're an idiot. It's a private company. Nobody can buy shares.
>>
File: 123451123.jpg (1 MB, 2613x3900) Image search: [Google]
123451123.jpg
1 MB, 2613x3900
>>343962934
Valve's crates are not gambling. Crates are more in line with booster pack trading cards

When you buy a pack of trading cards, you're guaranteed a certain amount of cards. You go in knowing your getting cardboard in return. You will always get something. It is a legally binding agreement that you are exchanging your money for a set of items, even if they are shit right?

Same thing with crates. You are spending money knowing you will get virtual items, even if they aren't rare or valuable. Gambling is when you risk something of monetary value and HOPE you get something more in return, because chances are that you will walk away with nothing.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.