[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do devs have characters with unusual accents when the voice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: joel.jpg (446 KB, 652x930) Image search: [Google]
joel.jpg
446 KB, 652x930
Why do devs have characters with unusual accents when the voice actor can't pull it off?
Pic related. As an actual Texan, JoeI's accent sounds very forced and obnoxious. Its obvious the VA has never been to Texas in his life. If I didn't know better and heard Joel's voice out of context, I would think he's trying to do a parody of the way Texans talk, rather than a serious portrayal.
It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't constantly reference the fact that he's a Texan, like how Tess always calls him "Texas."
Cait from Fallout 4 is another example, her backstory says she's Irish but her accent is Scottish.
>>
>>343928087
Because it's clearly passable as most people didn't take issue with it.
>>
Nice life faggot. Keep complaining nerd, I'll be fucking your crush in the meantime.
>>
>>343928087
Troy Baker was born and raised in Texas.
>>
A better question is why devs STILL can't get foreigners to voice foreigners in games. It was understandable in the late 90's and early 2000's, but by now you'd think they could actually get some some russian to voice a random thug instead of making american actors try and speak russian.
>>
>>343928416
>most people didn't take issue with it
Most people have never been to Texas
>>
>>343928087
Why are there even foreigners in the Fallout series?
Surely if you've got the time and resources to travel across a radioactive ocean you're probably living comfortably enough at home not to bother.
What does Europe even look like in the Fallout universe?
>>
Troy Baker is from Texas you fucking retard.
>>
>>343928581

Good
>>
>>343928673
Google says he lives in LA
>>
I'm a Texan as well OP, I had no problem with Joel's voice. In fact, I've met someone who sounds just like him.
>>
>>343928803
Yeah, now that he's a famous voice actor you dumbass.
>>
>>343928583
Yeah.because America has always been completely filled with Americans 100% right
>>
>MC doesn't sound like a stupid inbred hick
>Stupid inbred hicks like OP get triggered
>>
>>343929256
All the foreigners died in the 200 year gap. Why would their American descendants have accents?
>>
>>343928087

>Played it dubbed in Spanish
>Dubbed by one of the best VA of the whole contry
>Literally a 10/10 job.

Can't complain.
>>
>>343928803
I know this concept will seem entirely foreign to a dipshit Texan, but: you don't have to live in the place you were born; you can leave.
>>
>>343928087
>Cait from Fallout 4 is another example, her backstory says she's Irish but her accent is Scottish.
could just be a typo/misprint
>>
>>343929464
>>MC doesn't sound like a stupid inbred hick
But he does.
>>
File: 1409010016712.png (197 KB, 433x436) Image search: [Google]
1409010016712.png
197 KB, 433x436
>>343929532
THAT MAKES NO SENSE!
>>
>>343929532
So he didn't grow up in Texas? That just proves my point.
>>
What you are hearing in the game is the David Hayter effect. He is straining his voice to sound deep and gruff. Which results in a weird unnatural sounding voice.
>>
>>343929726
No, he did grow up in Texas. He left to go live and record in LA, since he's rather famous now.

Why is this so hard for you to understand you dipshit Texan?
>>
>>343929924
So the voice director told him to do some goofy accent or what?
>>
>>343930079
I've been to Texas many times and I've seen people with accents like that. I live in SC right now and people on a daily basis have accents that heavy.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.