[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>My issue with Furi isn’t that it’s too hard.My issue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: furi.png (528 KB, 828x565) Image search: [Google]
furi.png
528 KB, 828x565
>My issue with Furi isn’t that it’s too hard.My issue is that the game is too hard in the wrong ways and, perhaps, for the wrong reasons.
>Furi offers a series of boss fights of escalating difficulty. There are no levels in between, no disposable cannon fodder enemies. Just you and the bosses. At the outset, the game offers you two difficulty modes: “Furi (recommended)” and the easier “Promenade.” “Furi” isn’t coy about its difficulty: “The game is balanced to be challenging and demanding,” it confidently explains.
>Although “Promenade” isn’t significantly easier than “Furi,” it does offer you more lives. You’re shamed for picking it, which made me wonder why it was included at all. Really, you’re not only shamed for picking it as much as you’re shamed for being the kind of person who would pick it: “Anyone will be able to enjoy the universe and the story, but the game will be much shorter and very easy. Does not unlock trophies, the Furier difficulty and the Speedrun mode.” After you select “Promenade,” Furi warns you again that you’re a wimp: “Are you sure you want to change the difficulty? It will prevent you from feeling the rush of combat." The word “Promenade” is a constant reminder on-screen that you’re not playing the game right.
>Okay, I thought, I get it. This is a hard game for real gamers.
>As I played Furi, I kept thinking of Hyper Light Drifter, another demanding-by-design slash-and-dash game. HLD has similar combat mechanics but appears more indifferent to its own difficulty. Classier, really. When you die in that game, the music doesn’t even pause. The game’s menus don’t denigrate you for failing to meet its standards; it just implicitly asks you to try harder. Furi, by contrast, antagonizes players with its difficulty so unabashedly that I felt like it was consciously and specifically catering to gamers who like to brag about being good at hard games.

Guys, can we please stop salivating over Furi being "hardcore?"
>>
>>343920258

>wow, why is a game made for an audience that doesn't include me?

What the fuck is wrong with vidya journalists? What happened to artistic vision?
>>
>reading women giving their opinions about stuff
>>
>wrong kind of hard

It's a video game, not a cock you whore
>>
>>343920258

Furi isnt hard.
Its just fucking boring when you have to attack the same enemy the same fucking way for 20 minutes.
>>
>>343921012

>you have to attack the same enemy the same fucking way for 20 minutes

So it's like sex? Not that you know about that...
>>
Is the game any good?
>>
>>343921149

It's a bullet hell bossfighting game.
Character designs by the Afro Samurai guy so the bosses are fairly snazzy.

It's free on PS+ for PS4 right now, so if you happen to have that you can get it for free and form your own opinions.It's nearly unplayable without a controller on PC regardless.
>>
>>343920258
I wish game journalists would commit suicide
>>
>>343920258
I wish more games shamed shitters for picking easy difficulties or using shitty practices like save scumming
>>
>>343921440
>>343922059
>Mobilefags
>>
>>343922995

What happened? How did we go from "game over" now start the fuck back up to boo hoo please coddle me and add a story mode?
>>
>>343920258
>getting upset by difficulty settings
reviewer should just watch a movie
>>
Furi is pretty fucking brutal. You die fast and once you're out of lives you restart the entire fight, which can take like 20 minutes or more.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with certain games being punishing and hard. If you don't want a punishing and hard game, don't play it. Who cares? You don't NEED to complete every game. Furi is clearly designed to be a challenge.
>>
>>343920258
Sounds like she sucks at the game but furi is a shit game so not that I mind
>>
I saw this was free and ignored it.

Where was he shamed though? No trophies? I don't get it. Trophies are shit anyway. They might be a fun target if you profile didn't have 3% on a bunch of shit games you tried.
>>
File: woke.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
woke.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>343920258
>demanding-by-design slash-and-dash
>>
>please give all games easier difficulty modes we don't care if it's not thematically appropriate or part of your vision of the game and it's balance
>ok we made this game but added an easier difficulty, it wasn't how we really intended it to be played so we'll let people know if they decide to pick it
>actually difficulty settings aren't good enough now all games should just be easier by default
Is this game worth downloading? Any comparisons to other action games would be nice.
>>
>>343923540
>get reward for doing thing that requires skill.
>don't do the thing that requires skill
>don't get reward
>complain

Why do these people even want achievements in the first place if they don't want to fucking achieve anything? Seriously what's the fucking point?
>>
>>343920258

>Furi
>escalating difficulty

bitch please the tutorial boss is harder than the chick immediately after
>>
>dungeon of the endless
>only modes are "easy" (actually hard) and "too easy" (normal)
>>
>game tells you to git gud
>ignores advice and gets mad instead
>>
File: 1466980119176.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1466980119176.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>343920258

>omg the game makes me feel ashamed of changing difficulty! it's mocking me! make it sthaaaaap! (when in reality the game is simply putting a notice saying that you can lose some fun by making everything piss easy)
>OMGZ DA GAEM IS MAKING FUN OF ME FOR DYING WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE THIS OTHER GAEM THAT WASN'T THIS ONE, CATER TO ME PLOX
>waah waah I can't git gud!
>written by a woman
>>
>>343924453
Ass-pats. Some people want to win and other people just want to be the winner.
Same for why people cheat at competitions.
>>
>>343920258
Normally I wouldn't care, but it *is* obnoxious when a game swaggers about it's difficulty when it isn't any good.
>>
So is this just an arena-fied 3D Hyper Light Drifter?
>>
The only bullshit part of the game is health draining, if you win a round you steal the enemy bar, if the enemy wins it steals YOUR bar and gets healed, so in a way it kind of ramps up difficulty for people who are having trouble to begin with.
>>
>>343925005
It's even dumber that that though, because cheaters just want to feel better than someone even if they're too pathetic to actually want to be better. These people want the "glory" but don't seem to understand that if they can get the accolades without having to do anything then anyone can get them and they somehow become even more meaningless than they were just when they weren't earned.
>>
>>343920258
the moment I in all seriousness publicly admit that a video game" shamed me", i'd consider some serious change in my life. if you don't want do put effort in, don't play the game
>>
>>343925220
no. just similar colours
>>
>>343925320
how's it bullshit tough? it's only fair
>>
>>343920258
>game says its hard
>teases you for playing on easy
>dont unlock stuff when playing on easy
>hurr must be real game for real gamurz
>other game is easier
>dur what a classy game very good
It's like people don't know how to play video games, god forbid a game not cater to you
>>
>>343920258

This is the weakest viral attempt I've seen in a while. Never even heard of this, and now I'm definitely not getting it.
>>
>>343920258
It's a BOSS RUSH game. BOSS rush. BOSS. Not trash enemy cannon fodder, but BOSS. What did she expect?
>>
>>343925957
got it for "free" thanks to ps+ today. it''s not very good, certainly not worth 30 dollars
>>
File: 1461521413482.gif (1 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1461521413482.gif
1 MB, 286x258
>>343920258
>woman complaining that a videogame is too difficult for her in the wrong way
>>
>>343925957
game came out on ps+ today mongoloid
>>
>>343926024
>she
There's the answer.
>>
>>343925331
He summed it up concisely in a simple idiom then you gotta step in and over explain the point while simultaneously adding nothing.
>>
>>343920718
>women
>implying this is a woman
lol
>>
>>343920258
i really wonder what would be the "right" kind of hard for her?
>inb4 cock jokes
>>
>it's a let's pay attention to things we hate thread
Every time
>>
>>343926375
>if i close my eyes, it'll go away
>>
>>343920258
>Literally an article about 'casual-shaming'
Yeah, we get it, game journalism is a joke. You can stop ramming it down our throats now.
>>
>"wrong kind of hard"

okay, I see, are the bosses unfair? Are the controls bad? Please explain.

>"it made me feel bad about playing on a lower difficulty"
>>
>>343925957
>a game you never heard of is talked about
>SHILL TRYING TO GO VIRAL KEK YOUR NOT GETTING MY DOLLARS

You really shouldn't be so pessimistic anon-chan
>>
>>343926515
>'casual-shaming' is this term a thing? time to quit gaming is guess
>>
>>343926515
>You can stop ramming it down our throats now.

unless its the right kind of hard bby
>>
File: 1433214477124.png (119 KB, 284x285) Image search: [Google]
1433214477124.png
119 KB, 284x285
>We want the autistic Dark Souls audience who enjoy playing games solely so they can brag to other people about how they beat it
>Pointlessly difficult games are fun because they give me something to feel proud of in my pathetic life

I should remember I'm on /v/ where your gamerscore means more than how much you earn.
>>
>>343925752
>it's only fair

It would be fair if you had the same amount of bars as the boss, but they have much more.
>>
>>343925108

Where's the swagger though?
>>
Game looks like shit anyway.
>>
>>343920258
>I felt like it was consciously and specifically catering to gamers who like to brag about being good at hard games.

And this is bad why?
>>
>>343926839
shit, you're right. forgot about that for a minute
>>
>>343926501
>if I shitpost about it on /v/ it'll go away
>>
>>343925957

>game comes out
>people make threads
>WOOOOW FUCKING VIRALING GET OUT OF MY VIDEOGAME BOARD LET'S TALK ABOUT OVERWATCH I WANT MERCY TO SIT ON MY FACE REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>343920258
translation: it doesnt hold my hand and doesnt have the hype of darksouls

dont care about this game eitehr way
>>
>>343920258
>catering to gamers who like to brag about being good at hard games.
so earning an achievement by actually achieving it is bragging now?
>>
>>343926246
No, I really do think the motivation is different. Cheaters want to be better than others without earning it, these people want something else.
>>
>>343920258
OH NO THIS GAME IS SHAMING ME NOOO
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>343926839

It turns out you've got the perfect moveset to defeat every boss. That seems pretty unfair for them.
>>
>>343926269
it's genitalia don't matter, this is a woman's opinion
>>
File: 1363739688399.jpg (60 KB, 594x600) Image search: [Google]
1363739688399.jpg
60 KB, 594x600
>tfw it's carpenter brut soundtrack is coming out in 2 days
>>
>>343927175
>you've got the perfect moveset to defeat every boss

So do they.
>>
>Difficult game is bad
>Gets a free pass because Soulsbabs will defend it with their shallow "git gud" argument all day long

This game is fucking garbage overpriced trash
>>
This guy thinks the phrase "It will prevent you from feeling the rush of combat" is calling him a wimp.

He's probably an idiot. An idiot having a dumb opinion is nothing new.
>>
>>343927316
we know. her reasoning is still beyond retarded
>>
File: my cock when.webm (742 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
my cock when.webm
742 KB, 480x480
Is the game worth $25?

I want to buy it just to tell the hurr durr games are for everyone crowd to fuck off. $15 or less and I'd jump on it sight unseen, but $25 is a bit much. How many hours of gameplay do you get from it?
>>
>>343926207
Thanks for letting me know anon, I don't check the ps+ free game thing enough.
>>
>>343927316
>being bad at a difficult game = game is bad

Phew lad
>>
>>343927498
>Reading comprehension
>>
>>343927443
not in the slightest. grab it for 5 bucks at a sale. unless you're one of the 2 people left on this earth who pays for music. in that case it's worth every cent
>>
>>343927304
then get good you fucking retard or play on promenade which would make it easier for you also learn to master parry like in MGR where parry was the lifeline of the game
>>
>>343927443
>WOAH THIS SJW HATES THIS GAME
>IT MUST MEAN THE GAME IS GOOD

do it goy
>>
File: 235923623.jpg (83 KB, 1323x342) Image search: [Google]
235923623.jpg
83 KB, 1323x342
>>343926824
Not everyone can be a valuable, productive member of society as objectively determined by their monetary wealth.
Some people simply have to settle for the being the best at fair competitions.
>>
>>343927443
its a boss rush game why would it be worth more than $5 if its not sotc
>>
>mechanics that are too difficult for me are bad mechanics
>why can't every game be artificially difficult like souls games instead of actually difficult?
>>
>>343927714
The music is pretty damn good and the boss battles are actually difficult to some extent which makes it a definite must for people looking for a challenge
And maybe, just maybe anon, some people want to actually support the devs work
>>
>The New Berserk Anime Already Outshines The '90s Original
>That’s some damn good anime.

why does this dumb cunt have such shit taste in literally everything?
>>
>>343927793
>>343927316
nobody in this thread even mentioned souls games before you two false flagging retards showed up
>>
File: 349068346.jpg (49 KB, 829x277) Image search: [Google]
349068346.jpg
49 KB, 829x277
>>343928032
That website just attracts retards.
>>
>>343928190

where is the false flag? she's clearly a fan of games that give the illusion of being difficult but is shocked to find she actually sucks dick when it comes to a genuinely difficulty game

>get stuck on any part of any souls game
>summon phantoms to kill everything for you

sure is artificial difficulty
>>
>>343928227
jesus christ. to use "anime" and "smart" in the same sentence is a crime in itself
>>
>hard for the wrong reasons
Many games suffer from this but this is not one of them
>>
>>343928402
>get stuck on any part of any souls game
>summon phantoms to kill everything for you
wouldn't that rather be atrificial easiness? summoning tends to make the game easier, not harder. also, where did you get the impression that she likes souls?
>>
>>343920258
The problem with Furi is it's half a fucking game.

The mechanics are interesting but it's missing the cannon-fodder fights that every other action game has.

An action game is structured like a class; the levels are lectures, teaching you new things and asking you to hone your skills. The boss fights are tests; they demand you recapitulate everything you've learned and demonstrate your mastery.

An action game that's all boss fight is like a class that's all test; you should be EXPECTING the player to fail. How else will they learn, if not through failure? There's never been any training for them.

I know that the Git Gud meme is something /v/ loves but one of the staples of good game design is crafting a difficulty curve intelligently; teaching the player systems and rules BEFORE expecting him to know them, and ratcheting up expectations of mastery in time with his (expected) capacity to develop it in the first place.

Furi seems to suffer from one of the worst game design red flags of all, and ironically it's one that HLD also suffered from, which is that the game's creators can't stomp the absolute piss out of it whenever they play. If you spend years manually crafting the ins and outs of every fight, playing the game shouldn't be an engaging challege for YOU, it should be a cakewalk. You should already know what the player has yet to learn and have the mastery the player has yet to develop, and the fights should be a breeze

Furi feels like the devs balanced the challenge around their own skill level, and it never occurred to them to include things that would help get the player TO that level. That's how you design NG++, NSIC type shit, not a core gameplay experience.
>>
File: TWO YEARS.jpg (51 KB, 672x378) Image search: [Google]
TWO YEARS.jpg
51 KB, 672x378
>>343928227
Reminder
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 750x1334
>>343922059
Yes. Heres one for you too ser.
:^)
>>
>>343928561
>fromdrone is a brainless idiot with no reading comprehension or the ability to think critically

just as expected, really.
>>
>>343928745
you're still the only one mentioning souls. and yes, i've read that last part wrong.you still owe me an answer on the difficulty question tough before needlessly resorting to insults and greentext
>>
I only played partway through the second boss (got my shit pushed in) and it doesn't seem that hard so far. I mean it's challenging but not "fuck this game" challenging, just "I really need to get better at this" challenging.

Kinda hate the slow, slow, boring slogs between each battle though.

I really loved how the easiest difficulty on the menu said you can't unlock higher difficulties or even achievements by playing it. Games, especially ones like this, should punish you for not being willing to get better at them and relying on the path of least resistance. I suck at bayonetta and when I see bronze or even silver trophies after a level I don't think "I earned this with my hard work" I think "well fuck I really should have done better there."
>>
>>343928591
But parrying exists blogger-kun
and Health can be gained from bullets and parrying correcting dumbfuck-kun
kill yourself nigger get good my 16 year old brother hasn't died once on it and he's on the 4th boss already in Furi difficulty you faggots need to git gud
>>
>>343920258
>game makes fun of her for choosing ez mode
>waaah it's shaming me, fuck you this game is shit
Top tier review
>>
>>343928897
>you're still the only one mentioning souls

of course I am you fucking retard? did anyone else other than you claim otherwise?

lmao literally kill yourself my dude and maybe check out a dictionary/thesaurus combo while you're in hell
>>
>>343920258
>indie game
>some dumb blog
>trying to trigger /v/
This is definitely stealth marketing.
>>
>>343922995

remember that time someone complained in a game review about a game's ending and the dev told them "if you played on normal you'd have gotten the real ending" and they just removed that part from the review instead of acknowledging that they were a total scrub?
>>
File: 1460680545614.png (20 KB, 642x715) Image search: [Google]
1460680545614.png
20 KB, 642x715
>Hard for the wrong reasons
>Doesn't explain the reasons
>Could have been infinite stun-locks, unavoidable attacks, badly telegraphed one hit kills or any examples of bad game design
>Just says it shames you for choosing easy mode
>>
File: 1430759720220.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1430759720220.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>game encourages you to try harder difficulties
>BUT THIS IS ALL THE """"""""REAL""""""""" GAMER'S FAULT BECAUSE THEY CAN BRAG ABOUT BEING ABLE TO OVERCOME THE HARDER DIFFICULTIES
>>
File: 1462844510595.jpg (55 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1462844510595.jpg
55 KB, 480x720
>>343929231
>uh-oh another video game being discussed on /v/ that I never heard of must be marketing
drink bleach you stupid cunt and stream it so I can watch your neckbeard NEET autistic ass suffer
Prokaryotes have more purpose in this world than you do
>>
>>343929136
>did anyone else other than you claim otherwise?
according to you, I'm a "fromdrone" remember? and frankly, if you're unable to have a civilized discussion AND are clearly unable to answer a simple question, i'm done talking to you. my english might not be perfect, but your'e just a fucking asshole with neither manners nor respect.
>>
Gaming "journalists": Mad because bad
>>
>>343920258
i wonder if she cried when dmc3 told her to play on easy

just kidding i know that she didnt start playing games until she started writing for kotaku/polygon
>>
>Woman dislikes game because it's "hard"
Evry tim
>>
>>343929408
sorry bro, three strikes and you're out.
>>
>>343920258

Cecilia D'Anastasio is next gen Patricia Hernandez

I have literally not seen anything but shitty articles from her.
>>
>>343929621
>woman
top cock
>>
>>343929457
>ugga bugga english hard

fuck off back whichever foreign language subreddit you crawled out off, faggot
>>
>>343929747
Tranny, faggot, whatever, same shit.
>>
>>343929652
kill yourself nigger
go back to your overwatch general
actually you probably don't play games at all so fuck off back to /b/
>>
File: fascinating.jpg (78 KB, 293x301) Image search: [Google]
fascinating.jpg
78 KB, 293x301
>Granpa Nothingpersonnel
>Half of the fight is running in circles pew-pewing in the center
Tell me it gets better after this.
>>
>>343929819
Don't dignify it with the :woman" title call it what it is please.
Don't trigger me.
>>
>>343928990
Buddy, buddy, buddy. Relax. No one is saying you have a small dick, you can chill.

I'm not saying the mechanics are unfair, or that the difficulty itself is artifical or otherwise bullshit. I'm not saying that a player with the patience to grind it out for 20 minutes of boss fight to slowly learn how to play can't develop mastery.

I'm saying that it's bad game design to have that expectation.

Good game design involves teaching the player. This is just a basic fact of game design that we've all known since videogames graduated from machines designed to eat the allowance of 8-year-olds to entertainment products designed to be enjoyed as complete products.

You have to teach the player how to play; not with tutorial pop-ups or practice modes, but through the game's design and chronology itself.

Consider, as an example, a game like Bayonetta (which I think you would agree is an exceptional action game). Its opening levels and encounters are SPECIFICALLY designed to be easy, and to teach the player how attacks work; first you fight some grounded mooks to learn to melee, then some flying mooks to learn about your ranged attacks, then some more aggressive grounded mooks to learn to dodge. The game makes you jump over a fence (to learn about the movement mechanics), then fight around a car (to teach you the importance of your position within the environment during fights), then goes into a scene on a freeway that teaches you Witch Time and how Torture Attacks and, by extension, magic gauge management works.

Do you think that first level is hard, or fun, for Hideki Kamiya when he plays it? No. It probably bores him to tears.

Now, on Infinite Climax mode, that first arena instead throws Grace and Glory at you, and the restructured encounter is designed more around what could make the graveyard an interesting arena (close quarters, ground is studded with walk-blocking obstacles). But that's something you are meant to play AFTER beating the game
>>
>>343929925
Next boss is fun, hope you enjoy swimming and bullet curving
>>
>>343929775
case in point. putting words in other people's mouths doesn't help your case either. hope your RL communication skills are betetr
>>
>>343920258
But this doesn't explain why Furi is too hard in the wrong ways.
>>
man what a shitty tutorial and that slow walk scene that is before every boss? what the fuck were they thinking. thank g-d I pirated it instead of wasting any money on this trash

i don't give a shit how hard it is, the game just sucks ass
>>
>>343929294

that's the "wrong reason." The game is bad because it's hard and doesn't let you pretend you're a master by playing on baby mode.
>>
>>343930116
it doesnt

its the real gamer's fault because they can brag about being able to play the harder difficulties
>>
>>343930053
>he actually took the time to write this out
oh man I feel bad for you thinking I care about your opinion
sorry dumbfuck-kun but remember on 4chan
My opinion > yours
If you can't beat the first or second boss than play a different game it's not like the game was expensive(free on psn) so you aren't losing anything but 30 minutes at most
fuck off
>>
File: winstonrustle.jpg (76 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
winstonrustle.jpg
76 KB, 700x396
>>343926824
Tryin pretty hard for That (You)
>>
>>343929925

I've always wondered where this is from
>>
>>343930053
The point of all this is, if Bayonetta started with the G&G encounter from hard mode in that graveyard, and then on top of that shit-talked you for trying to set the game to a lower difficulty to learn how to play, that would be bad game design.

It would in fact be terrible game design, and no way someone like Kamiya would sign off on it.

Furi's devs have built a quality combat system but they would have benefitted immensely from outside playtesting that could communicate the new player experience to them, since it's something they simply cannot experience firsthand.
>>
I hadn't heard about this game until I saw that Carpenter Brut made some of the music and I was immediately interested
How's the game itself?
>>
>>343928619
I guess he doesn't know about how things work
>>
>>343930434
I know the Furi dev isn't here but this shit is still worth talking about for anyone here who might be developing a game; Furi has some serious design flaws that you should take steps NOT to replicate.
>>
>>343920258

The writer is being bullied by a video game. How big of a kuck do you have to be to be bullied by a game?
>>
>>343926824
git gud casul
>>
File: 1449205329245.gif (2 MB, 300x176) Image search: [Google]
1449205329245.gif
2 MB, 300x176
>people actualy think this game is hard
Seriously? God I thought /v/ was good at video games the combat is similar to Nier and metal gear rising so if you played those games (and actually could parry in MGR) then you'll be fine
>>
>>343930934
Parrying in MGR involved mashing toward + X so I assume most people never bothered to actually get good at it.
>>
>>343930934
it's not that difficult so far on normal mode, just beat it. hopefully hard will prove to be a challenge
>>
File: 1301982999389.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1301982999389.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>Titan Souls was praised for being only boss fights
>This is being derided for it because it's hard
Go away.
>>
File: 1448242090545.jpg (167 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1448242090545.jpg
167 KB, 720x720
>game has japanese VA
>actually sounds good
rev up my wallet
>>
>>343931102
Titan souls was pixel shit which automatically wins a 7/10 for any reviewer
>>
>>343920258
>I felt like it was consciously and specifically catering to gamers who like to brag about being good at hard games.

Reviewer forgot three words:

>I felt like it was consciously and specifically catering to gamers who like to brag about being good at hard games made for children.

There, that puts the correct face on the bastards.
>>
File: 1411896739538.jpg (416 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1411896739538.jpg
416 KB, 2048x1536
>>343922570
>It's free on PS+ for PS4 right now
I just got my PS4 so I'm not really sure how that works. Will I be able to keep the games I get for free as a PS+ subscriber after my subscription runs out?
>>
>>343921091

That was awful
>>
>>343930053
I agree with you, anon.
I will never understand boss rush games. I guess they want to focus on the epic boss battles, but bosses are what they are only in comparison to regular enemies. A game without cannon fodder enemies is a game without bosses.
Just look at Dark Souls, Touhou (not the hardest, but popular), or even Rytlock, which I recommend you play:
https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/rampage/index.html

They all have incredibly hard segments, but it's only thanks to the previous ones that you can beat them. Otherwise you would probably only beat them by luck, and you would be fucked the next time you find a (harder) challenge, since you didn't get the necessary skills the last time
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg-j6kH8pGw

Wow, and no one yet pointed out how hard it ripped off Hyper Light Drifter?
>>
>>343931395

No.
>>
>>343920258
Is this the new FotM indie game?
I've never heard of it.
>>
File: 1460978333553.png (211 KB, 433x436) Image search: [Google]
1460978333553.png
211 KB, 433x436
>>343928619
What the hell?
>>
File: 1457174808305.jpg (47 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1457174808305.jpg
47 KB, 680x680
So judging by the gameplay footage, all you have to do to git gud is learn attack patterns. This may cause a couple of fail states. Why is this bad? It's this why the Souls games are praised?
>>
>BOSS FIGHTING GAME

ARE YOU GODDAMN SERIOUS? So there will be NO FUCKING DIFFICULTY once you memorize the boss patterns and attacks because you will INEVITABLY DIE and be submitted to trial and error?!

That is the single DUMBEST game design I've ever heard!
>>
>>343931551
Everything rips of other games these days, especially indie shit
>>
>>343931395
No, but if you renew the subscription you can play them again.
>>
>>343921012
this

>first boss has 7 health bars
yea no
>>
>>343931650
Yet people like souls games
>>
File: sjw.png (405 KB, 671x911) Image search: [Google]
sjw.png
405 KB, 671x911
kek
>>
>>343922995
I like it when games make you unlock easy mode or something. Let's you know that you sucked.
Heck, even Super Mario 3D Land locks you out of a 100% file if you use the golden Tanooki suit.
>>
>>343931740
Yeah I know, but it literally ripped all of the gameplay, most of the artsyle and did it in shitty 3d
>>
File: 1204033723207.jpg (46 KB, 650x613) Image search: [Google]
1204033723207.jpg
46 KB, 650x613
>>343920258
That's actually a completely valid point.
I have nothing against a game being abusively hard, but when a game is so up its own ass and self-conscious about its difficulty (or any aspect really) that it needs to constantly advertize it on-screen, it's just annoying and pretentious.
>>
>>343928990
Can you just kill yourself? The hell even are you breathing for? Really? What the fuck are you going to contribute to society - shitposting, farts, and worm food?
>>
File: cb0.jpg (23 KB, 356x357) Image search: [Google]
cb0.jpg
23 KB, 356x357
>>343931446
>Darksouls
>Hard
>>
>>343931859
"""""""People"""""""
>>
So noone here actually played the game?
Because it's not hard at all and i'm 3-4 hours in
>>
>>343931859
Dark Souls has its own design flaws but it's not a boss rush, either
>>
>>343931978
u mad though? You mad you bad? yep you mad you bad
/v/ ladies and germs
>>
>>343928591
I can't think of a single game that does this.
>>
>>343927714
>this game is not worth more than $5
>cinematic climbing simulator is somehow worth more

Fucking please.
>>
File: 1464550249218.jpg (4 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
1464550249218.jpg
4 KB, 204x200
>>343931868

some people really do live just to get insulted don't they
>>
So /v/ is just bad at videogames again
Didn't expect anything else from the guys that think Souls games are hard
>>
Furi's pretty damn good. I love boss rush games.
>>
>>343932012
Which game would you consider hard?
Also, play Rytlock and tell me if you consider it hard, please
>>
>>343932151
/v/ indeed.

Sort of a microcosm of this shit fest of a board. Any discussion or brainstorming is just pearls before swine, and frankly, we need to do some hog-hunting.
>>
>>343932464
You mean whichever clickbait "journalist" is bad at videogames again
>>
File: hyperlight3.jpg (154 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
hyperlight3.jpg
154 KB, 1200x675
People are complaining about HLD in discussion because its too hard. Took me 10 tries or so to beat the north boss and that's exactly how I want it.
>>
>>343932739
Well, people seem to agree with it
>>
>>343930625
pls respond
>>
File: 6dc[2].jpg (30 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
6dc[2].jpg
30 KB, 400x384
This article is fucking hilarious since the devs literally wanted to avoid making a game that is too "user friendly"

>There is a feeling that I remember from when I was a kid playing video games: the huge, intense satisfaction when I finally beat a level or a boss I had been struggling with for a while. The feeling of learning how to overcome a challenge, with my brain and my thumbs. The combination of understanding and execution felt like a reward in itself.

>I remember it from games like Super Punch Out, bosses from Metal Gear Solid, combat in God Hand. There are many games that gave me that feeling, but recently I’ve felt that games try too hard to be “user friendly.” Adaptive difficulty, dynamic checkpoints, in-game tips… Everything is explained and balanced to make sure nobody drops out.

>'With Furi, we want to give the player an extreme satisfaction when he or she beats a boss. That means he or she will have to sweat a little for it.

>Furi is heavily inspired by the Japanese way of making games. It’s not trying to be realistic in its style or animations. It’s fast-paced and requires a lot of timing, reflex, and judgment. When you press a button, the character reacts immediately. It’s part of what makes it “fair.” Too often in modern games, we press a button and then, in order to make the game look realistic, the character will start an animation that “looks good” but “feels heavy,” and is unresponsive, even laggy. Responsive controls feel good and are a must-have in a combat game.'

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/09/furi-on-ps4-a-gauntlet-of-brutal-boss-battles/
>>
>>343933005
Why would you intentionally make a game that won't sell? Bizarre decision.
>>
>>343933160

Not everyone makes games to sell games.
>>
>>343932761
>10 tries to beat the north boss
Do you have a developmental issue? Maybe a learning disability?
>>
>>343933160
I'll buy it
>>
>>343920258
>woman crying about a video game being too hard

I'm shocked
>>
>>343933005
Haven't played the game but he makes good points.

The animations should serve the action, don't compromise control to make the game look better.
>>
>>343933270
I haven't played a game that requires some modicum of skill in a long time
>>
>>343933160
he made a game for himself pretty much. Like how artists create art for themselves, not always for the money.
>>
>>343933270
Let me guess you beat all of them first try and beat souls game first try without dying lvl 1 blind?
>>
>>343933346

The game is free on PS+, or torrent it if on PC

the game controls are really fucking tight
>>
>>343931395
No they're only "free" if you pay for ps+.
>>
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Furi
>RUINER
So this topdown run-dash-shoot thing is the current hot trend genre. Any other games in it and where did it start?
>>
>>343920258
>taking a woman's opinion about anything that requires hand-eye-coordination seriously

LMAO
>>
>>343933270

North boss was hard as fuck, I think it took me 3 hours to beat it and I breezed through the rest of the game without an issue. I believe it shouldn't be so bad with some upgrades, but without any I had a tough time.
>>
>>343933160

Not every game or movie is created to sell millions. Some just cater to a specific niche.
>>
>>343932180
That does what, teaches you the mechanics through gameplay?

In order of when they occur to me:
Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Portal, Braid, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, N++, Gears of War, Pokemon, Talos Principle, Doom 1, The Witness, Megaman, Tony Hawk's Underground, Ocarina of Time...

There's more but you get the point. In all of these games the earliest levels aren't just easy, they're structured specifically to teach you how the game works and to hone your skills. As they progress, each boss fight (at least in those with boss "fights", obviously Portal only has one of those) tests what you should have learned so far and then the subsequent levels teach you a few more things of gradually increasing complexity
>>
>>343933545
HLD is my top recommended game right now
>>
>>343933448
I'll pick it up after I finish my playthrough of DMC3

Unless I decide to play DmC, since I've just beaten 1 and 2, and I'm curious as to what it's like
>>
>>343921091
You are really bad at sex.

Also this game is shit.
>>
Reminder that should always pick the defeult difficulty as that is always the dev's intended difficulty

Easy is for plebs pussies and Hard is for tryhards
>>
>>343933691

Play DmC remastered if you do, its not half bad once you get past the edge.
>>
>>343932761
I did north boss on one try, since I went unknowingly to west boss the first time and did that in like 20 tries.

Rest of the game was piss easy after I beat west.
>>
Soundtrack torrent when?
>>
>>343933005
>Too often in modern games, we press a button and then, in order to make the game look realistic, the character will start an animation that “looks good” but “feels heavy,” and is unresponsive, even laggy. Responsive controls feel good and are a must-have in a combat game.

Dash lag
>>
>>343928591
>Furi seems to suffer from one of the worst game design red flags of all, and ironically it's one that HLD also suffered from, which is that the game's creators can't stomp the absolute piss out of it whenever they play. If you spend years manually crafting the ins and outs of every fight, playing the game shouldn't be an engaging challege for YOU, it should be a cakewalk. You should already know what the player has yet to learn and have the mastery the player has yet to develop, and the fights should be a breeze

???

when the combat designer plays the game he does breeze through it. and having just played this fight, holy shit he makes it look really easy when it really isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG2vW4u6r4I
>>
>>343933745
Not that guy, but sometimes it's feeling so good that you don't want to change positions nor pace.
>>
>>343920258
>feminazi
>"game journalist"

Why do you even bother?
>>
>>343933551

John Walker pls go
>>
File: 52352352.jpg (10 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
52352352.jpg
10 KB, 235x215
>>343933160
>This is the best-selling game of all time.
>>
>>343928227
You can't say it is the "smartest" jesus christ, how the fuck can they write shit like that
>>
>>343933886
Yeah, I was wrong, they didn't forget about teaching the player because they were comfortable at their own skill level, they apparently just actively decided against it.

A bizarre decision IMO but not a fuck-up, I guess.
>>
>>343933945

Hey fuck you man, he gave up on the game I actually played it
>>
>>343930462
Kozue Panic
>>
>>343930462
Some doujin where a guy turns into a girl and lets his buddies fuck him.
>>
>>343934180
the best part is learning the fight why would you spoil it?
>>
>>343933160

Not everyone is trying to make the next Overwatch or Call of Duty, or even pander to the exact same audience.
>>
>>343920258
The hardest part of this game is staying awake while walking through the non-combat sections.
>>
>>343933545
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT RUINER FAGGOT!
it is my only hype for 2016
>>
>>343931872
>even Super Mario 3D Land locks you out of a 100% file if you use the golden Tanooki suit.
So does NSMB2, although I had no idea hat it was. I wish they gave a warning saying you couldn't 100% it. I picked it up pretty late in the game and I thought it was a timed, quick fun little invincibility I got from a secret area on the stage I was dying to.

The second you pick it up is the second the game locks you out of 100%, and again there isn't any warning that it does this.
>>
>>343933898
For 20 minutes straight?
>>
>>343934701
I've done it.
>>
File: 325233256.gif (149 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
325233256.gif
149 KB, 500x281
>>343920258
>furi ost
>>
>>343934695
Ok, maybe they should only lock you out if you complete the level with it, that would make sense.

Or maybe allow you to go back and do the level without it.
>>
>>343926803
>Doesn't know how to greentext properly

Leave.
>>
>>343933636
>Pokemon

Holy fuck I stopped reading there, I was gonna stop at Bayonetta, But wanted to see what other bullshit you put on there.

You can literally solo the entirety of pokemon with your starter, and the game doesn't teach you shit outside of your starter's weakness, how to catch pokemon and whatever gimmick the current Gen is using and at no point does the game ever test what you've learned.

The only games you listed that actually test you are platformers and thats because they're centered around platorming and not just killing a boss, but everything else can be beaten simply by having good reaction time.
>>
>>343934427
(a) pacing, and (b) it shouldn't BE about learning the fight, it should be about learning to fight.

The game should be designed such that a very skilled player can walk into a fight he's never done and beat it without fucking up because he knows the mechanics.

I get the vibe they were trying to capture but they miss the fact that all of the games they drew inspiration from (god I hate seeing God Hand in that list) made a point of teaching; God Hand made you fight a difficult enemy in optimal circumstances, THEN made you fight two of him alongside a third enemy. That's what made it so excellent; it was about player skills, and each encounter was designed to both test and build player skills.

There is no enemy that I recall in God Hand that could stomp a player who was good at the mechanics just on the fact that said player didn't yet know his patterns.

Pattern memorization isn't good action game design. Action games are about reacting, you should be teaching/testing the player about all the different ways you expect him to react, not a game of Simon with hitstun.
>>
File: casual plays a game and dies.jpg (95 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
casual plays a game and dies.jpg
95 KB, 636x477
>>343920258
>>
>>343934480

I like the game and you're not even wrong. Give me a run button for fuck's sake.
>>
>>343920258
what and absolute and complete dumb bithch
>>
File: err.jpg (23 KB, 696x480) Image search: [Google]
err.jpg
23 KB, 696x480
this games bosses remind me of raiding progression in mmos. only this time you dont have to rely on other retards to get mechanics right. its all on you
>>
>>343920258
We need more games to rub their ball on shitwimp casuals. MAKE VYDIA GREAT AGAIN.
>>
Holy shit this game is bad. Got to the old man and just got bored of shooting his stupid pillar for 20 minutes.
>>
>>343935897
The game is really repetitive, but so is any bullet hell game. The enemies also have fucking awful melee sections, they are too slow to do any of their cone attacks and are easily parried
>>343920258
The only wrong kinda hard is bad controls and shit camera angles, this game has neither.
>>
>>343935897
>anon is too retarded to know how to charge shot

LMAO
>>
File: Well aint that cute.gif (406 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Well aint that cute.gif
406 KB, 320x240
>>343926824

Souls games aren't hard, it's just a meme for normalfags who are used to Bam-Ham 'cinematic' gameplay.
>>
>>343921012
Quit during second boss
Repetitive bullshit
>>
>>343929271
Yea I do and if the dev had cared, he could have sued that nigger into oblivion for libel against his product. There's no greater showing of malice than being proved wrong and then deleting the one piece of evidence that would have brought that to light.

He's lucky japs don't know better.
>>
>>343934642
I'm not talking shit about it, I'm just saying that the similarities between these games, all developed by different people roughly around the same time, are uncanny.
>>
>>343931395
I guess sonyggers are too cheap to keep playing online
>>
>>343936085
Still takes 50 charge shots. When I got to his next form where he pillars again, I shut it off. Not worth my time.
>>
>>343935069
>You can literally solo the entirety of pokemon with your starter, and the game doesn't teach you shit outside of your starter's weakness, how to catch pokemon and whatever gimmick the current Gen is using and at no point does the game ever test what you've learned.

You CAN, but it actively discourages it. Compare the types of mons available before gyms to the mons IN the gyms; does the game ever pit you against a gym leader without first giving you access to wild mons that have a type advantage?
>>
>>343921012
This is exactly why this game is the wrong fucking kind of hard. You wanna dodge an enemy over and over again for a chance to do decent damage and have him dodge that one fucking bullet? Or will you opt for doing chip damage for twenty minutes?
It's not fucking fun.
>>
>>343920258
>tons of boss battle style enemies
I take it these people don't like Monster Hunter?
>>
>>343929271
It was one of the Pixel Junk games. The IGN reviewer edited the review after being called out by the dev.
>>
>patterns
So like old school mega man? Could be fun.
>>
I'm not sure what the point of charging is.
>>
>>343922995
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EasyModeMockery
Yeah I know the first blurb is kind of ass with the "shit players will feel worse" thing, but it has some good examples.
>>
File: 1354306381473.jpg (124 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1354306381473.jpg
124 KB, 337x367
>this game is too hard baaawwwww
>>
>>343931868
Top Gun
>>
>>343935208
>The game should be designed such that a very skilled player can walk into a fight he's never done and beat it without fucking up because he knows the mechanics.

Thats garbage and boring tho, making a game like that means that the enemy itself is literally irrelevant since you wouldn't even need to pay attention to what it's doing.

A good action game should be a good mix of both, Monster Hunter does a pretty good Job of this.
>>
>>343920258
>Title of article is "Indie Boss Battler Furi is the wrong kind of hard
>Never explains why its the wrong kind of hard
>Says nothing about the difficulty, just complaining about the game shaming him

Fucking really? What a idiot.
>>
>>343933550
It's like relying a woman for car reviews
>>
Its so fucking easy to trigger you guys.

The article got a point.
>>
>>343936883
>Barbatos, the Bonus Boss of the PS2 version of Tales of Destiny, if fought on the Simple difficulty, will immediately start the fight off with an upgraded version of his Genocide Braver called Cheap Eliminate, his quote for the attack being something that roughly translates to "You aren't qualified to fight me!". It covers the entire length of the screen in front of him, and is instant death for anyone who gets hit by it, save for those using certain invulnerability granting moves. He'll then use it immediately after every single attack he performs
I wish they still did shit like this
>>
>>343937342
I don't see it.
>>
All she had to say was the game sucks, because it genuinely does, rather than go on this defensive tirade to try and justify why she felt the difficulty was bullshit to all the "git gud" shills.
>>
File: Weenie_Hut_Juniors.png (1 MB, 1061x800) Image search: [Google]
Weenie_Hut_Juniors.png
1 MB, 1061x800
>>343920258
pic related
>>
>>343920258
Why the fuck is a former JEZEBEL writer giving "her" shit opinions on Kotaku. Obviously it's fucking Kotaku and shit by default but just blatantly giving voice to militant feminist mouthpieces? That seems beyond even Shitaku.
>>
>>343920258
Don't know who she is nor which game she's talking about but I can follow her in some points:
There's not point in all this shaming and warning about the easy mode. If it ruin the game that much, just don't include the mode to begin with.
>>
The inputs feels delayed by like a second and it's kind of annoying. This second boss runs around a lot and it's also pretty annoying.
The boss before this was a lot more fun, where is the constant insulting dialog
>>
>>343937830
Kotaku and Jezebel are the same company and share the same offices
>>
>>343937284
>Monster Hunter
>Good

Opinion disgarded. You obviously have shit taste.
>>
>>343937342
maybe its the kind of point only fags can see
>>
If you want hard you should play the Blitzkrieg 2 stand alone expansions.
Even on the easiest difficulty they're brutal.

I'm not going to say it's like Wizardry IV, but the hardest difficulty Fall of the Reich is straight up brutal.
>>
>>343928227
Now I'm triggered. This is the same series that literally orgasims ovwr the fact kirito can drive a fucking motorized tricycle. The literally state "no one else was able to drive this". This us literally so Gary stu it rivals fucking jesus onii-sama
>>
>>343920258
I see literally 0 problem with publicly shaming casual. Anyone who does is HIGHLY suspect of casualfagging
>>
I wish journalists were trustworthy.

There is no way to know if this guy sucks ass or if the game is shitty.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.