[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good 3rd or first person shooters for PC that have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
Are there any good 3rd or first person shooters for PC that have been released the past like five years? I haven't been into gaming for a while but just got a GTX1070 and have such a craving for a great shooter.

I loved RTCW and a lot of people seem to like The New Order/Old Blood but it just didn't feel right. I guess I could give it another chance but it was nowhere near the last Wolfenstein game.

So, what does /v/ recommend? PC only, 3rd or first person doesn't matter as long as the action is top notch!
>>
>>343890860
D44M
Max Payne 3
Serious Sam 3
Hard Reset
Shadow Warrior
Insurgency
>>
>>343890860
Overwatch
>>
>>343890860
D44M and Ziggurat are the only recent ones I've enjoyed.
>>
can only think of Wolfenstein, hasnt really been any good fps games in a while. Far Cry 3 is pretty decent otherwise.
>>
Black Mesa
>>
All of the Crysis games
>>
>>343891036
this
>>
File: Hour_Of_Victory.jpg (638 KB, 2000x1319) Image search: [Google]
Hour_Of_Victory.jpg
638 KB, 2000x1319
One of the redeeming games of last gen
>>
File: SS3 BFE Options menus.jpg (809 KB, 810x3500) Image search: [Google]
SS3 BFE Options menus.jpg
809 KB, 810x3500
>>343890860
Loved Serious Sam 3:BFE. It's also a brilliant PC benchmark tool thanks to its huge options menu, and a good game to co-op.

Next would be the Underhell: Chapter 1, which was this quite underrated HL2 total overhaul mod. The thing's like a fancy mixture of FEAR, Penumbra, and even some Metal Gear of all things, and has superb gunplay and atmosphere IMO. It's also fairly lengthy, and fully voiced.

>>343892258
Crysis 1 is soon 10 years old, bro.
And 2 & 3 were console trash.
>>
>>343891036
I might be getting old but I tried the demo of Doom and it was a bit too fast for me, I almost felt fatigued after playing the 15 minute demo...
I've heard good things about Max Payne 3 which was actually the reason why I included 3rd person shooters.

Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior etc. are a bit over the top for my taste and Hard Reset/Insurgency seem pretty low-budget. That doesn't necessarily mean the games suck but in general AAA-lookalike games with low production value tend to not be very good.
>>343891107
It looks nice but I'm more into SP. But I'll probably get it anyway once it drops in price.
>>343891528
Ziggurat looks pretty unique. It seems a bit repetetive but I guess all shooters are really.
>>343891870
I've played Far Cry 3/4 and yeah, the third was my favorite as well. The hunting added some fun times just roaming around looking for rare animals.
>>343892183
Is it worth it even without Xen? I've only played HL2 and have actually been waiting a long time for the full version of Black Mesa to be released but it's taking forever. I know most people say the Xen part is shit but I still don't want to pay for an incomplete game that just cut off somewhere along the story.
>>343892258
I acutally got the first game yesterday, I've tried out the third one as well and that was pretty neat (at least the short period I tested) so I will def check them out.

Thanks for all recommendations, keep 'em coming!
>>
>>343893414
What kind of shooters do you even like, then? R6: Siege is pretty good, I guess.
>>
-DooM(2016)
-Bioshock (all of them are must plays)
-The Darkness 2 (one of the greatest fps of all time)
-Call of duty Black ops 3 and infinite warfare (although i despise big budget anually repeated games these two actually have more interesting gameplay and are fun imo)
-Fallout 4 (has first person mode and tons of unique weapons but alot of rpgs elements and is open world)

CS:GO (multiplayer, just dont bet on skins)

Shadow warrior definitely also keep an eye out for shadow warrior 2
>>
>>343893326
They were damn good looking console trash that are worth a play merely for the graphics.
>>
File: bbb.jpg (33 KB, 384x383) Image search: [Google]
bbb.jpg
33 KB, 384x383
>>343893326
>It's also a brilliant PC benchmark tool
>>
>>343893414
>Hard Reset/Insurgency seem pretty low-budget
I wouldn't know about Insurgency, but Hard Reset is fantastic if you actually bother trying to chain weapons together.
If you can't be bothered juggling several weapons at the same time with different cool downs, then don't bother with it. To like Hard Reset you need to like the shooting system.
There's 2 versions, the regular and the Redux one. Redux adds the katana and dash from Shadow Warrior -completely-; I never used the katana, but the dash makes the game incredibly easy when compared to the original release, to the point where it's clear the game was not balanced properly for the non-dash gameplay of the original.
Besides that, you can run forever -not that limited sprint time bullshit- and the game looks worse but runs better.
I still prefer the original HR, simply because of the graphics and because of how much of a challenge it was. The dash makes it all WAY too easy.
>>
>>343894256
>CS:GO

lol
>>
>>343893893
I actually rarely play shooters which is why I would like to know which games other players like. I guess I like games with a bit slower style, both RTCW and Far Cry which I love are a mixture of shooting and exploring and the tempo is never too much. I loved Rainbow Six Vegas and Siege looks nice although very repetetive since it's MP only from what I understand?

Other games I've enjoyed are old MoH games like Allied Assault, the first Call of Duty etc. I'm looking forward to an upcoming game called Days of War which is really cool but it's released some time later this year.

Another upcoming game is Escape from Tarkov but I think it's still in alpha so the release is probably far away.
>>343894256
I played the original Bioshock when it came out and it was very original. I read that there was a remastered edition in the works?

The Darkness wasn't my kind of game at all, the only modern-day CoD I've enjoyed was the first Modern Warfare which had a very solid SP campaign. I gave Fallout 3 a chance but that's not my type of game either, although I can understand why people like them.

CS:GO is one of the few shooters and the only multiplayer game I actually play, it's very fun and you can just jump right into the action for a few rounds. A real classic and I've played it ever since 1.6 was released.
>>
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is one of the best FPS's I've ever played hands down, if you already like the wild west then you'll love it even more. Only downside is that the story is literally 2 hours long, but the gameplay makes up for it.
>>
>>343895021
Oh yeah, and the actual telling of the story itself makes up for it too. The story changes as you go along.
>>
>>343890860
>just got the newest and more expansive gpu without actually knowing if there is anything available where I can utilize it and if pc gaymen is for me

fuck my fucking shit up senpaichal
>>
>>343895138
>The story changes as you go along

It's almost like, all stories change the further you go along.
>>
UNDERHELL
>>
>>343895742
I had a 760 which failed on me a week or two ago so I got the 1070 because I needed a new GPU. Sure, it's overpriced but the 760 became rather weak rather fast (mostly due to the 2GB VRAM) and I didn't want to make the same mistake again. The 1060 would probably be more fit for my needs but it was rumored for a fall release (until the leaks/rumors started a little while back saying Nvidia is pushing for an early release). Besides, the 1070 will last me years until the next time I upgrade.

Anyway, I'm not looking for anything to max out my GPU, I just want recommendations for
>>
>>343897476
*for entertaining games. They don't need state-of-the-art graphics.
>>
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Metro games. Atmospheric as fuck and the gunplay has a bit of weight to it. It's not fast like Doom which OP doesn't like. Just single player games.

Look into Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light if you already haven't OP
>>
>>343897476
Not him, but since you have said you'd like more slow paced FPSs, I'd recommend the Sanctum games.
It's a series of tower defense games where you not only have to build the passage and turrets, but actually use weaponry in an FPS style to win the game.
I don't know what more to recommend, since from what I've read from you shooters aren't actually your thing and this is a passing urge you are feeling.
The 1070 will probably last you 3 years or so as a strong card, after than it'll tank fast; don't forget that the fact that is so strong will make developers design games that ask for even higher hardware. I would know, I have a 780 and it gets beaten by quite a few cards nowadays, it plays anything and everything, but not up to my standard.
Considering you had a 760 and saw it go weak quickly, a 70 series will leave a better taste in your mouth.
>>
>>343896146
no you fucking dunce, like the landscape in front of you changes, you also play through missions in the different ways that people remember them.
>>
File: 1440844522893.jpg (64 KB, 445x454) Image search: [Google]
1440844522893.jpg
64 KB, 445x454
>>343894256
>-Bioshock (all of them are must plays)
>>
>>343897476
Sounds reasonable. At first it sounded like you have not been for a long time period into gaming but that's just my interpretation.
In my honest opinion is stalker the best shooter out there, with the right mods it surpasses the most survival horror games, so try that.

Next I thought that both resident evil revelations games are really awesome so maybe you could try them too.

Killing floor 1 (maybe 2 but i didnt like it) is a decent fun shooter, albeit very arcadey if you are into things like that.

Left4dead 2 is the game I spent very much time on and enjoyed it, especially on russian impossible hardcore servers, so I can safely recommend this to you, too.

I would try eye divine cybermancy and vampire the masquerade bloodlines. I found boths games to be enjoyable but wasn't able to finish each for reasons (eye is not my type and blood was unplayable on my machine back than.)

I would try dayz for arma 2 or just arma 2. I had great fun with dayz singleplayer but my machine was not sufficient for running it and i dont feel like redownloading 14 gb.

Call of duty was great fun with buds on the 360 I dont know how it is nowdays. zombie nazi mode is pretty cool, too.

Metro games are too on rails for me but try them, they have great visuals ok story ok gunplay but goat atmosphere and art.

I would try dead space 1 (i didn't like 2 that much and didn't play 3) great horror game.

Lost planet 2 was fantastic in coop (I only played a little of lost planet 1 and never bothered with the third one)

Try splinter cell series, I enjoyed some of the games.

I had much fun with red faction guerrilla, but it was ages ago.

That's all from the top of my head, if I remember some more Ill post them.
>>
>>343897970
Totally forgot about that, I read about them a while ago and it seems interesting, a bit of a shotter/horror combo isn't it?
>>343898146
Thanks for the recommendation, although it looks a lot like Doom (gameplay wise) with "waves" of enemies albeit with a slower pace. The 760 actually plays almost everything I want since I'm not too fussy about settings and never go beyond max 1080p but it's starting to show that 2GB VRAM isn't sufficient, I would probably have held out longer if I'd opted for 4GB. Had the card failed on me in a few weeks I would probably have gotten a 1060 instead.

A 780 would actually last me a few years as well but it didn't feel worth getting something last-gen, especially since like you mentioned developers will be pushing for more demanding games and seeing as 8GB seems to be the new standard I figured I might as well go for it.

Prices will surely drop eventually but I don't really feel it's worth waiting six months for maybe a 10% decrease in price.
>>
>>343899548
I've always been a console gamer and have owned virtually all consoles since PS1 but have recently turned more to PC gaming. I've played Dead Space and loved the Splinter Cell games on console, will check out STALKER but from what I've heard it's full of bugs and glitches? Could still be entertaining though, looks a lot like the Metro games someone mentioned.
>>
>>343890860
Serious Sam
Doom
The Division *I liked it except for the glitchers and hackers ruining the meta
MGS 5
Ghost in a Shell
Overwatch
Battleborn *shit UI, but fun, OW is better
Shadow Warrior
Killing Floor 2 *People gripes about the micros, but the game is fun and the community has a shot ton of maps
Payday 2 *Forgot when it was released but it is still being updated and it is one of my favorite games to play
>>
how can anyone like RTCW?
Putting aside the multiplayer it's one of the dullest and most uninspired shooters ever made
>>
>>343900040
>OW is better
>is versus only

Nah
>>
>>343900227
I think they have bots.
>>
>>343900030

It is buggy and glitchy sometimes as are all modded games. Don't expect the most stable experience.

I forgot to mention fallout new vegas (loved this game but the ai is horrible, I am sure mods can fix this)

And Bioshock but I have seen it being recommended already so I won't add that much except for that the story is nice and the gameplay good.

I would try half life 1/2 mods if you are into that. I spent 5-6 years modding hl2 as the modding community was really alive and well and produced some high quality mods like insurgency, zombie panic source, cry of fear, zombie master and no more room in hell. I don't know how alive most of the mods are but they defiantly are worth a look if you are really out of ideas.
>>
>>343890860
Warframe
Quake Live
Fallout 4
>>
Here you go OP

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Shooter/#p=3&tab=TopSellers

Stay away from Shadow Warrior and especially stay away from Serious Sam if DM4M makes you feel sick.

I would recommend Warframe or The Division for TPS. Warframe is free, so you should definitely try it out. They both have RPG elements, and can get pretty grindy.

For FPS I would RB6 Siege for serious play, Overwatch for casual, and KIlling Floor 2 or Payday 2 for co-op fun.
>>
>>343900162
I played like 20% of RTCW back in 2012 and I remember my impressions being that it felt like a really polished game with amazing atmosphere, really responsive aiming, I remember thinking it had been a long time since I played a game where I enjoyed just moving around and exploring and clicking on people to that degree.

I should probably go back and finish it.
>>
>>343890860
Max Payne 3
Hard Reset
Doom 3
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.