[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the "RE4 is the best Resi" meme start when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: Resi4-gc-cover[1].jpg (91 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
Resi4-gc-cover[1].jpg
91 KB, 300x425
How did the "RE4 is the best Resi" meme start when it basically killed the traditional gameplay of the series?
>>
Because the "traditional" gameplay of the series was shit?
>>
Because it had great gameplay while maintaining b-movie horror of Resi's past.

Get mad at 5 for going Dino Crisis 2 by throwing all that out the window.
>>
>>343883948
This.
>>
Something new had to be done, the series was getting stale. I wouldn't call it the best RE that's REmake but it is one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>343883869
It's not the best RE game. It's the best game ever.
>>
>>343883869
Because it's an amazing game, but it ruined the franchise because Capcom took the wrong message from it. Almost everyone you'll talk to who really likes RE4 agrees that it's a great game that ruined the series with it's success.
>>
>>343883869
The traditional gameplay needed killing. Resident Evil 4 was pretty much perfect; the games that came afterwards spectacularly failed to live up to its example.
>>
>>343884007
>Get mad at 5
But 5's gameplay is identical to 4's.
>>
>>343884173
>>343884190
These are both true.

>if crapcom hadn't scared mikami off we would have gotten perfect sequels to RE4 that built on it's foundation while giving us more of what we love
>>
>>343883869
RE2 is the best of the "classic" RE games
RE4 is the best of the "modern" RE games

I really don't see why people have such a hard time wrapping their heads around this. It's not a difficult thing to understand.
>>
>>343884302
It's way more intense and action oriented though. Yeah they're both 3rd preson shooters, but 4 is still firmly rooted in horror and is a much slower, deliberately paced game.

And yeah, the series needed revamping, people were getting sick of it.
>>
>>343884302
>Co-op partner
>Redoes part of RE4's moments
>Shit inventory
>No gun vendor
>Real time menu
>Plot is not as fun
>>
File: Average Japanese Man.gif (2 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Average Japanese Man.gif
2 MB, 360x360
i grew up playing ALL regames, 1-3, the shitty light gun games, and even code veronica on the dreamcast
believe me when i tell you, the formula was old as shit at that point, and silent hill was beating the crap out of RE
re4 was a game changer and completely killed the silent hill franchise as a competitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wgqf2qkLxk sums it up pretty good
you only think re4 is dull, because every game made since has stolen all the concepts it originated and improved on them
>>
>>343884302
RE5 took itself way too seriously. It's one of the many problems RE6 also had. Yes, RE5 played pretty much the same as 4, minus the great inventory system, but it just didn't have the charm of 4.
>>
File: 1386514247222.gif (1 MB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
1386514247222.gif
1 MB, 217x217
>tfw I like RE3 more because I didn't play RE2 as a kid
>>
>>343884554
But none of those are actual gameplay elements.
Well, except maybe the AI partner.
>>
Do you guys think there's any chance of RE7 being a good game? That demo didn't really do anything for me. I feel like with such a drastic shift in style, it really shouldn't be part of the RE series.
>>
>>343884554
>real time menu
>co-op partner
>not an improvement

It does suck about the gun vendor, or the plot being kinda boring in comparison, but co-op partner is a HUGE boon.

>>343884616
>real time menu not an actual game element
>>
>it basically killed the traditional gameplay of the series

Literally the exact same gameplay but from a third person camera angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zgm4DeSs0M
>>
>>343884571
>believe me when i tell you, the formula was old as shit at that point, and silent hill was beating the crap out of RE
>you only think re4 is dull, because every game made since has stolen all the concepts it originated and improved on them

These

RE4 was scary as shit when it came out because it was NEW. "Horror" then was still basically "little rooms with 2-3 enemies in them". Then out of nowhere 4 had big crowds of enemies that could open doors, climb ladders, throw shit at you, 5 minutes in there's a guy with a fucking chainsaw coming at you. It was bananas.
>>
It was new and something different at the time, that's why. I didn't play it until the PC version since I never had a Nintendo home console after SNES and it felt really generic. It was still pretty good though, just not as good as REmake or 1-3.
>>
>>343886747
I need this
>>
>>343884571

Weird how much of a gap there can be between people with a similar experience with the games.

Hell, I never even considered SH to be a competitor to RE. Tonally far too different.

And me I disliked RE4 from inception. Not a bad game, I can't say it with a clear conscience, but not in any way the direction I was hoping for the series.

A direction which will probably never happen because of market casualization and the changes in development ethos.
>>
>>343883869
it started because it was babby's first RE game
>>
>>343889345
he never played Silent Hill or the old Resident Evil games. anyone who says the series was getting stale or needed change has obviously never played them. they were all good games. RE4 would have been just fine if it was a spin-off.
>>
>>343890728
I was my fifth so you're wrong
>>
>>343883869
Well it started when people realized that it's actually most fun
>>
File: zhEqgPb.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
zhEqgPb.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
And they say the PS2 have a better library...
>>
>>343883869
>Before 4
>Resident Evil is the same game over and over again, they should just kill the series
>after 4
>Resident Evil is dead BAW i'm so retarded i'm amazed i can form sentences
>>
>>343883869
>implying it's not
>>
Because people bitched for eight years about tank controls

Then they get a main game in the franchise which is universally praised for its great controls and gameplay, which triggers the purists

I've played the games since 1998, and RE4 was desperately needed to keep the series alive and not let it become some niche title.
>>
>>343883869
RE4 is a great action game but it isn't really a resident evil. I have the similar problem with 7. They use a name to make a pretty different game because they are afraid without the name it won't sell. But if you change the mechanic this drastically (like in RE4) I don't think you should call it like the old games.
>>
>>343891425
RE4 had tank controls.
>>
>>343891596
The only drastic difference was the camera angle. There's a mod for RE4 that adds fixed camera angles to mimic the old games and it's surprisingly similar
>>
>>343891648
And the previous games had fixed camera angles while 4's camera was over-the-shoulder

It made all the difference
>>
>>343891425
>>343891596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zgm4DeSs0M
>>
mexicans who were 7 when they first played it infested /V/
>>
>>343892176
That's a fine example of adding artificial difficulty to an already perfect game
>>
>>343891771
>>343892176
I don't mean the camera angle. I mean the shop, the plenty of ammo, the number of enemies etc. I repeat it is a great game, pretty scary but I feel they changed too much to keep the name.
>>
The traditional gameplay of the series committed suicide. Out of the last four traditional style games they made, the only one that was any good was a REmake of the first game (which is almost cheating, really)
>>
>>343883869
-solid gameplay
-solid inventory tetris
-solid looting mechanics (enemy drops, crates, valuables etc.)
- solid graphics and detail in them
- solid b movie story as all resi
- solid enemy design and boss fight (mf bossfights)

The game is very fun and very solid and you basically killed all interest for me discussing this game with your biased opinion, go fuckyourself op.
>>
>>343887464
It was one of the best third person shooters at the time. Remember this was before GoW which almost every third person shooter has since copied.
>>
>>343893056
Gamplay is questionable. Its re on rails without exploration which made re and silent hill interesting. Its like the prime of re. Most of the genre defining mechanics are gone or shoehorned
>>
>>343893317
The exploration element of Resident Evil died with the first game, RE2 was incredibly linear
>>
It did, but it didn't. I'd say it still maintains a semblance of balance of everything classic RE did well - pacing, enemy placement, slight horror atmosphere, kinda silly downtime sections, even item management to an extent thanks to attache case tetris. That said, it's definitely NOT the old games, it just sort of recontextualized their elements while both being a logical progression from RE3 mechanically and not losing the plot with shoehorned multiplayer and bad campaign pacing like RE5.

That all said, I only have no respect for people who say it's the only good RE. If you like other games in the series then cool, nothing wrong with RE4 being your favorite. It's those who put that game on some exclusive pedestal as though the rest of the series is devoid of worth that bothers me.
>>
>>343892176

RE4 is so not designed for this but that's still pretty nifty.
>>
>>343894229
the japanese version seems to have a fixed camera sections with ashley
>>
>>343883869

it's literally over the shoulder tank controls with manual aiming, what's the fucking difference
>>
File: VCQ6Jmr.png (257 KB, 328x460) Image search: [Google]
VCQ6Jmr.png
257 KB, 328x460
>play re5 on PC
>perfect mouse control
>play re4 on PC
>EYOOO HOL UP

when it's playable I'll give a fuck about re4

>inb4 use le controller XD
>>
>>343891425
>>343891596
>>343894229
>>343892176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLbIs7Uglc

No mod, it's like this in the japanese version
>>
>>343891425

>re4
>ever praised for the controls

you are fucking retarded
>>
>>343893660

you better be fucking kidding because you can literally go anywhere you want in re2 especially in extreme battle where you can wander the entire fucking game with no locked shit
>>
>>343883869
When Residen Evil 4 became the best RE game
>>
>>343894670
PCuck confirmed
>>
>>343894770

sonygger confirmed
>>
The only thing that's ruined is the idea that because a series changed its tone with one game all following games have to be like this.
Resident Evil 4 has its following but the people who like older games got shafted. I'm personally not a fan of the classic series and got into it with 4, I like 5 and 6 is my favorite one. This doesn't mean that I think that there shouldn't be classic style games anymore. I'd simply not play them, so what? Should I be butthurt about that? There's a million other games I could play.
>>
>>343894824
>RE4 originally released on gamecube
>implying sonygger
You are literally this retarded
>>
>>343886310
>>co-op partner
>An improvement
Oh fuck off.
>>
>How did the "RE4 is the best Resi" meme start when it basically killed the traditional gameplay of the series?
What a retarded reason to dislike a game.

That's like saying "Halloween is a bad movie because it spawned a bunch of shitty sequels and ripoffs."
>>
>>343893317
the exploration of the previous games is largely overstated. the games are very much linear. instead of going down a straight line youre going back and forth from room to room that unlocks themselves through keys and other means, but you are largely meant to go there. all with an insane amount of backtracking. the progression of the rooms are largely linear with maybe a few extra areas here and there you can go through and this got more linear as the series went on. REmake was the best the series has seen in that regard.
>>
>>343895037
no friends confirmed
>>
>>343894921
It'd only cause mass disappointment if the series went back to its original style after 4's success; there were games like Deadly Silence on the DS that still used the traditional gameplay style with added elements, otherwise 4's gameplay became the staple for how Resident Evil games should feel
>>
>>343883948
This
>>
>>343895092
I played with a friend.
Literally only 2 chapters out of 5 were actually fun.
The village and that part with the boat where you get to explore a little.
Everything else is shit.
>>
>>343884571
Although RE was inferior to SH, I believe RE still dominated sales. Although sh2 was greatest hits I remember silent hill alienated people at the time. It gained more popularity after the release of 3 and the first movie IIRC.
>>
>>343895092
not him but resident evil games are supposed to be scary. having another person with you destroys that feeling. even in 4, there were parts that could make you a little nervous.
>>
>>343895303
>resident evil games are supposed to be scary
You don't get to decide what Resident Evil games are supposed to be.
>>
>>343895303
>resident evil games are supposed to be scary
Something only the REmake accomplished
>>
>>343895613
revelations 2 is pretty scary
>>
>>343894824
stop trying to use sonygger as a catch all console user term - it came out on gamecube way before faggot
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.