[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled. Did you considered DS3 to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: dark-souls-iii-2015615194341_1.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-iii-2015615194341_1.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
Now that the dust has settled.

Did you considered DS3 to be hard? Why? Why or not?

I didnt, and I think thats factual.

At the beginning I simply thought "Maybe I'm just too good at souls game now" but then I realized that even the game is designed to be really forgiving.

Especially with bonfires. There's a bonfire like every 10 steps. They decided to keep the DS2 weapon degrading system, but removing the ridiculously low thresholds.

So you'd have weapons that lasted as long as in DS1 and which were automatically repaired for free at every bonfire.

Also, Lothric castle, which is a rather small area, has 5 (or 6, dont remember) bonfires, and some of them are literally 2 rooms away from each other. theres also several (I counted around 10) shortcuts and 1 that basically takes you to the boss in 30 seconds.

Finally: The materials, asides from the fuckload of titanite drops you had, you can also buy all types except slabs and scales for a modest price, at an infinite stock. The only silly thing is that theres no logic behind twinkling titatinite vs titanite scales
>>
>>343870116
It's pretty shit but I can't stop playing, to be honest.
>>
>>343870116

I thought it was hard at parts but nothing impossible. Some bullshit fights.

I dont like looking up what other people find hard in a game because its honestly infuriating, like when I found out that theres people who think that smelter demon is hard
>>
>>343870116
>Did you considered DS3 to be hard?
No, not really. In fact for me personally it was the easiest. Only a few bosses took me more than one try.
>except slabs
And that's actually an improvement, since you need a slab for the ultimate upgrade in every path now, not just standard/raw.
The game starts with rather sparse titanite, but as you progress you get a lot of shards, so you can upgrade more weapons and try them out, before you get to large shards etc. Oh, and don't forget that chunks/scales/twinkling can only be bought if you found the secret area.
Maybe chunks could have been more rare. But other than that, I actually think DS3 upgrade system was the best out of all souls games.
>>
>>343870442

Which like I said, contribute to the game being super easy.
>>
>>343870116
Souls game doesn't feel hard anymore. Maybe because we played the shit out of it? If it's your first time it's gonna be hard for sure.
>>
>>343870116
>Did you considered DS3 to be hard? Why? Why or not?
>
>I didnt, and I think thats factual.

Why ask the first question if you're gonna go ahead and drop the second statement?
>>
>>343870582
Not really, it doesn't.
The lack of difficulty comes solely from huge buff to rolling in 3. Fast roll threshold is really high, so you realistically never hit it, the number of iframes is ridiculously generous, so even players who can't time their rolls properly and just panic and mash the button become untouchable, and it's all topped with very low stamina cost of the rolls.
>>
>>343870612

I doubt it. First souls game for my extremely casual cousin and he made it to the end no sweat. Some retarded choices though, like a horribly built character and spamming magic shield (even though he already had a 100% DR shield)

>>343870707

"I Think"
>>
>>343870116
I think the weapon progression is actually one of the better things, which works well with the linear map design.

If it were less linear like DS/DS2, I would have been more offended by Chunks and Scales being locked behind later game content, since in DS/DS2 you can get +10 weapons very early on if you know where to look. But the linearity means that unless you fancy taking on dancer early, you'll be in a natural damage progression which stops you from having a very powerful weapon too early.

But yeah, I'd say it's easier for the other reasons you mentioned, they tried to have Bloodborne's checkpoint in the boss room, and DS2's bonfire after boss but before new area, and it clogged the world with bonfires, like in Lothric Castle and Cathedral of the Deep.
>>
Anyone who has played BB is gonna finish DS3 Without a sweat, nothing wrong with that though, it's still hard if you're a newcomer.
>>
>>343870850
>and DS2's bonfire after boss but before new area
Well, everyone just ran to the previous bonfire after beating the boss anyway, so it's just a QoL improvement and a time saver.
>>
>>343870116
>I don't think it's hard and that is factual

What an odd thing to write
>>
For some reason I find it the hardest and I don't have any trouble in Dark 1, 2 and Bloodborne anymore except for maybe OoK and Laurence. I find the whole *dodge dodge dodge attack repeat* gameplay pretty annoying by now and I miss environmental stuff like the plunging attack on the taurus demon in 1. In general it's way less about spacing anymore, you pretty much only have one playstyle and are just crippling yourself by playing anything else besides pure melee.
>>
>>343871120
>Well, everyone just ran to the previous bonfire after beating the boss
That's depressing if true; Dark Souls I and II presented the player with the option to go back and spend their Souls or progress into the unknown with the potential of losing them or simply making it to the next area. That risk vs reward element is what added suspense to the game. I remember only very rarely backtracking to the last bonfire just because I had a pile of souls on me but perhaps that's just me.

I mean for example you can VERY easily get killed by Vengarl's Body after the long stretch before the Duke's Dear Freja and of course the fight itself. In Dark Souls I bonfires actually felt like places in that world and the fact that you had to run around in between them was your deal, not theirs. Having bosses drop bonfires seems stupid and trivial to me.
>>
>>343871574
>you can VERY easily get killed by Vengarl's Body
What? You just walk around it in a circle and backstab it to death.
>>
>>343871574
>That risk vs reward element is what added suspense to the game.

Not really. Pressing onwards is a 100% needless risk. I guess it creates suspense, but it's suspense that you're creating for yourself artificially.

Since the path back to the bonfire will have already been cleared by you, it's a simple matter to go back and cash in your souls.

The only practical reason you would choose to keep going instead of go back is if you don't have anything meaningful to spend your souls on, which, immediately after defeating a boss, is unlikely.
>>
it was easy until i got to the cathedral of the deep. Mainly because i only had 6 estus which was a huge pain in the ass
>>
File: EO2GuildmasterMask.png (18 KB, 128x192) Image search: [Google]
EO2GuildmasterMask.png
18 KB, 128x192
>>343871574
>he takes unnecessary risks
>>
I found it easy until the Pontiff fight, fuck that boss
>>
>>343870330
I wish I had this problem.
I spent 400+ hours on DS2.. don't ask me how.
I have 187 hours on DS3 but that is with my brother and a roommate also playing it from my account.

What do you even do?
>>
>>343870116
I really REALLY enjoyed Dark Souls 3. It was considerably easier than the other games in the series, I found, however.
It may be because I latched onto the Dark Sword, but I had fun anyway. Doing heavy damage to bosses felt satisfying, even though they dealt heavy damage to me.
Things felt like they made a lot more sense to me than in the other Souls games, but that was part of what made the others so mystical and appealing. I do feel like something was lost after Dark Souls 1, and even more was lost since Demon's Souls, but I don't hate the direction the games have gone in.

I still haven't beaten anything but Bloodborne and DS3. I should get back on Dark Souls and Demon's Souls as I have honestly been enjoying both greatly. Haven't started 2 yet.
>>
>>343870116
Ok, let's see what they did to make the game easier:
>stunlocking enemies to death
>kicks leading to ripostes and less awkward than DaS2
>you can use charged R2s on enemies waking up from ripostes or backstabs and continue to stunlock them afterward (BIG one)
>wider angle for backstabs (though you can miss them now)
>less traps in general
>less bullshit platforming in general
>less use of the environment as a challenge in general (something that was pretty noticeable contrarily in DaS2)
>short bonfire distance
>shortcuts everywhere in some areas (Cathedral, Profaned Capital, Lothric Castle and Grand Archives)
>no enemies with bullshit amounts of defense placed early on, they pretty much take normal amounts of damage (something that was pretty noticeable contrarily in DaS1)
>invading pretty penalized while summoning pretty rewarding
>estus drinking is near instant with long recovery which enables mistakes, DaS1 drinking took a bit longer with less recovery at the start and DaS2 healing was longer over time

What did I miss?
>>
>>343872820
>Profaned Capital
Irithyll Dungeon*
>>
>>343872820
>What did I miss?
Oh yeah, the rolls are OP now.
>>
>>343870116
In 1/2 most segments between bonfires were something like 15-30 minutes of exploring, and then you found a bonfire or a shortcut.

In 3, you explore for less than 10 minutes, find the first shortcut, 10 more minutes and find the second shortcut, 5 more minutes and sit down at the bonfire. There's no sense of danger or satisfaction from sitting down after a dangerous trek because you know that in a few minutes you'll certainly run into either a shortcut or a bonfire in case you lose your souls.
>>
>>343870116
They made the beginning too easy. First couple bosses seemed to be tuned for people who were stuck on Taurus Demon or Gargoyles for months.

I don't even know why Vordt exists, what a waste of time designing something that stands there and lets you take hits when doing frost breath.
>>
>>343873920
I've watched a jap playthrough, and they've been stuck on Gundyr for a good while. Iudex Gundyr.
>>
If any souls game can be considered hard, then yeah they're all pretty much on the same level. People that complain about how easy DS3 is don't remember how easy DS1 was, where circle strafing for backstabs was a viable strategy.
>>
File: herr_skelett.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
herr_skelett.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>343870116
>Did you considered DS3 to be hard? Why? Why or not?

I jumped to DS3 after I played through the first games this year for the first time.

I terms of difficulty, for me it was:
DS3 < DS1 < DS2

DS3 was actually very hard for me on the first playthrough, mostly because the enemies felt different than in the first two games. I can't really point my finger on it, but I was getting hit WAY more times than in DS1 (after I played through it 2 times). Maybe they have more varied attacks? Faster attacks?

I also noticed that I absolutely need to go below 30% equip load for every situation, be it invading, being invaded or bosses.

have made a pause on DS3 because of mgsv and dragons dogma. what the current pvp meta, is it still sl120 lmaoduel?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.