[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you support your local video game store /v/? Mine is awesome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: reset games.jpg (101 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
reset games.jpg
101 KB, 720x720
Do you support your local video game store /v/?

Mine is awesome

>good selection
>good prices
>have toys and plush
>owner makes and sells perler bead art and magnets
>has a barcade next door

if your ever in Bellingham Washington go to Reset Games.
>>
no there is no such thing
A gamestop opened across the street from it and they were gone in less than a month. This was all like 6 years ago.
>>
No. Our local gamestore is ran by a guy who over values most of the games in his inventory. All prices on games are way too high and he makes most of his money selling on ebay anyways. It's a shit show of a store when you walk in and a copy of Tak and the Power of Juju for the Gamecube is nearly $30
>>
I haven't visited my local game store yet.

I've got two but one is significantly closer. Gonna check it out soon, though.
I want to work on a PS1/2 collection.
>>
Local game store opened and had extremely fair prices for classic games. Mario Paint with the mouse for about $20. And other SNES games rarely gong over that price. Needless to say, they eventually went out of business, but came back a year later under new management.

This new guy was using all the new inflated retro game prices you see on Amazon and eBay these days. Doom for SNES was selling for $32. I told him I got a copy used on Amazon for $8 that was in better condition.

He started going off on me, trying to tell me he has "overhead" which is why his games cost more. Its the price of brick and mortar he explaned, as if by some fucked logic that makes him immune to supply and demand. If your overhead is too high to provide competitive pricing, or at least compensate with competitive customer service, that is a failure of a business.
>>
Anyone know a really nice game store in Toronto? I just moved here 4 days ago. I want to get all buddy buddy with the local faggots.
>>
Mine sucks, bad prices, never has the newest games other than AAA even on release day. If you want AAA they can be cool and sell early. Their only saving grace is that the place I go to and buy Magic at is open at retarded hours so these guys are a choice when they aren't
>>
There's a local video game store, but it's on the shitty side of town so it's a glorified Madden resell center.
>>
File: 1349255332355.jpg (45 KB, 350x473) Image search: [Google]
1349255332355.jpg
45 KB, 350x473
>>343860330
>Arcade Edition
Corny as hell but I love it.
>>
>>343860330
How do these even survive? How can they compete price-wise with Gamestops and the like? Are they simply very old stores that have accumulated a sizable community over the years?
Genuinely curious.
>>
File: luffy.gif (754 KB, 387x197) Image search: [Google]
luffy.gif
754 KB, 387x197
In this day and age, you really do have to go out of your way to support the small businesses. They WILL go away if you ignore them for a while.I took fun arcade places for granted and now they're ALL gone.
>>
>>343866745
>How do these even survive?
Used sales.

Unlike GameStop, they're willing to buy your games for more than $1, and they have many more older games than GS.

A lot of these stores rely on the resell market for stock and don't even do new releases.
>>
I used to. Now they just have bad prices with an even worse inventory. I swear 80% of their inventory is the same as the last time I was there and I've been going there for years.
>>
File: 1467169683316.jpg (116 KB, 960x874) Image search: [Google]
1467169683316.jpg
116 KB, 960x874
>two locally owned game stores
>one i go to occasionally for retro vidya but you always pay collectors prices
>the other one has paid parking and have to walk to the store from the parking structure

Meanwhile,
get 20% off any new game at bbuy, 20% off new releases at amazon

Sorry but when it comes to bottom dollar, jew the big box stores
>>
>>343867405
I see. So basically they don't even try to compete with GameStop.
>>
>>343867683
Pretty much. I mean, there's no reason to target the same market. It's basically suicide.

Better to target the part GameStop fucks up royally.
>>
I hate gamestop
But I still buy games there because I really like the bags.
>>
>>343866745
In my old town there was a guy who ran one. He would practically beg people not to pay him for his stuff but instead trade him other games. I once asked him how he stayed afloat with that model and he said that it was actually more of a hobby. He made some really good investments at a young age and now he's got enough to at least support himself and the shop for the rest of his life. Mostly doing it to expand his collection, meet people, and kill time.
>>
>>343860330
I wish I had an arcade in my town I'd go there a ton since I'm a neet.
>>
Gamestop put them all out of business. And now they're closing as well. Such is life in the megalopolis.
>>
I've got mixed feelings about mine. The biggest obstacle to me liking it is the fact they feel the need to blast retro vidya osts pretty damn loud through the store. One exception was from Hotline Miami, but I'm calling it a fluke. Prices are decent, but for some reason there seems to be a tax on 1st party nintendo games there. Rarer games are priced to ebay standards of course, but that's to be expected. They test their shit before selling so I guess that's another plus, better than FUCKING GAMESTOP at least.
>>
File: 6125bCK.jpg (8 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
6125bCK.jpg
8 KB, 252x244
>>343868181
>mfw a local bar expanded into the next building and put an arcade there
>all the machines are f r e e
Still haven't gone yet, though
I hear the food is overpriced.
>>
>>343868004
Dude that sounds fucking rad

I want that life
>>
>>343866360
this is specially bad for minituare stores
any store has a supplier, and nowadays it's so easy to find who supplies a store, you can cute the people at the store and get the stuff he sells way cheaper.

Most stores have to stop selling the shit you can get for cheap on ebay/amazon/etc and instead sell shit like Magic the gathering or yugi oh.
>>
I only buy online for prices but

Pic related is game bar near me. Free to play any console, have most games and always a few qts playing Mario kart

Google space station Osaka for more pics
>>
>>343860330
>craft pinball
>arcades beer
what did they mean by this?
>>
I have a retro electronics/gaming store near me. Never been in it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.