[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I'm retarded. Can you guys explain to me what engines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Hello, I'm retarded.

Can you guys explain to me what engines actually do for games? Like Unreal or Luminous. I hear them being said, but I have no idea what they are or what they actually do.
>>
Unreal is a pre-built enviroment "language" that handles a lot of shit like lighting, physics, sound, scripting, animation, and shit, without the developers having to worry about coding every little bit of all of it themselves, they just have to put in the work to make Unreal do what they want it to do

This also means that since Unreal has been built to work across PC and multiple consoles, porting games to other consoles is a process that's almost ridiculously easy.
>>
>>343852389
Unreal engine is just the base for the game. Say you took the code for Mario 64, changed the models maybe tweak the physics and button inputs and viola you have Ocarina of Time. Think of it like rpgmaker.

I assume the people who made UE made it open source which means that anyone can use it to make a game with copyrights up the ass.
>>
>>343852957
*without
>>
>>343852892
>>343852957
Ah okay, so it's the skeleton of any game.
>>
>>343852389
>Hello, I'm retarded.
At least you're honest
>>
>>343852389
Hello retarded, I'm Anonymous
>>
>>343854167
GO AWAY, DAD
>>
>>343852389
A game engine is the sum of the individual parts that facitate the game.
>rendering engine
>audio engine
>scripting engine
>>
Essentially, it's the framework for a game.

On the most basic level, it's so you don't have to code in stuff like how to render images, or how physics generally work.

With an engine, your program knows how to update, draw objects, stuff like that. Without one, you have to do that all from scratch.
>>
It's a fancy buzzword. Engine can refer to a game's skeleton, but it can also mean the seperate internal organs too. For instance, Luminous isn't just an engine, but also a graphics engine. Havok is physics middleward, but is commonly referred to as an engine. Wwise and Miles are sound middleware, but can be referred to as sound engines.
>>
An engine you see is like an engine for a car. You put gasoline in that engine and then it turns on once the electricity shocks the gasoline causing a fire. The fire's smoke pushes on all the pistons causing it to move. This is how videogames are made trust me anon I'm a psychiatrist
>>
>>343852389
>Hello, I'm retarded
Every thread should start with this
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.