[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do game developers think it's acceptable to use the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Lollipop-chainsaw-4.png (1 MB, 1277x716) Image search: [Google]
Lollipop-chainsaw-4.png
1 MB, 1277x716
Why do game developers think it's acceptable to use the Unreal Engine?

Even big developers like Bioware used it to make Mass Effect as shitty as possible.

Look as this big list of ruined games.

>Mass Effect
>Lollipop Chainsaw
>Silent Hill
>Alpha Protocol
>Devil May Cry
>Batman
>Mighty Number 9
>Ninja Gaiden

The list goes on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
>>
>it's the tools fault if the carpenter can't do his job right
>>
>>343817850
thanks for the format idea, i'm gona go make a Unity thread with this
>>
>>343818239
>Use the right tool for the job
>>
That's why I stick to gamemaker. Miyamoto used it to make Mario 3 and it turned out amazing
>>
>>343817850
>Mass Effect
Not that Dragon's Age looks any better
>Alpha Protocol
Name one Obsidian game that isn't buggy as fuck.
>Devil May Cry
?
>Batman
What's the problem with this one, Optimization? They tweaked the engine so many times that it's barely the Unreal Engine.
>Mighty Number 9
lol
>>
>>343817850
because not every developer is talented enough to use gamebryo
>>
File: dishonored23.jpg (778 KB, 2000x1116) Image search: [Google]
dishonored23.jpg
778 KB, 2000x1116
Unreal engine is OK on PC.
Problem is its shit on consoles.
But everyone forced its use on consoles regardless.
For instance my old PC was barely more powerful than a PS3 or 360 but i could effortlessly run any unreal 3 game.

The pinnacle of it all was Last remenent on my even older PC that was a single core Pentium 4 the game ran better than on 360 although not at constant 60 fps.
>>
>>343817850
There is nothing wrong with Lolipop Chainsaw
>>
>>343818741
>Not that Dragon's Age looks any better

Not only does it look better,but it plays better especially on consoles.
>>
>>343817850
how did this game ever turn out? like id ever pay full price for a fanservice game but if thats the in game model shes pretty cute. worth a few bucks on the 360?
>>
>>343818741
>?
Tameem May Cry uses it
>>
>>343819534
Worth playing on Normal or Easy once, then never touch it again. Harder difficulty modes are just tedious and boring instead of fun
>>
>>343819534
It's not a fanservice game, it's a zombie comedy beat em up with some fanservice costumes.

It's wacky like all Suda games.
>>
>>343819703
DmC might be a weak one in its series but the game looks awesome and plays okay. It's one of the most impressive uses of UDK
>>
>>343819851
>>343819828
is it anything like stubbs the zombie? thats my favorite zombie game ever
>>
>>343819968
That's what makes Unreal so bad.
>>
>>343819968
>most impressive uses of UDK
>30fps on consoles
>needed a whole definitive edition on next gen hardware to run it at 60
blurry muddy textures
>pop in after the game loads
>visual and gameplay glitches everywhere

GGXRD is impressive. DmC DMC is not even that above from any other beat em up using UE3 from a technical/development viewpoint
>>
>>343819978
I've never played that, you a girl with a chainsaw killing zombies, with some different minigames in between fighting sections to keep it from becoming too dull.
>>
>>343819978
nothing like Stubbs
imagine Bayonetta but with way shittier enemy design and the combat speed is like 1/5th of that game
>>
>>343817850
There is literally nothing wrong with Alpha Protocol. Literally
>>
>i-it's the engine's fault

what a horrible fucking excuse
>>
>>343820632
What's wrong is it looks shit because it was made on unreal engine and it was made on that because they had no budget and didn't believe in the game.
>>
>>343820928
Are you really surprised that an Obsidian game managed to look and run like shit on consoles?
>>
>>343820632
Everyone has been telling me that Alpha Protocol is a bad game, but aside from the stealth being kind of janky it's a fantastic game. I can't believe that my choices actually mattered in a videogame.
>>
>>343818546
not knowing how to use the tool =/= not the right tool

lol 3d math and graphics programming is too hard for "video game developers"
>>
UE4 has the most amazing lighting I have seen.
>>
What's wrong with the Unreal Engine, OP? I don't know of any glaring flaws with it.
>>
>>343821076
Fallout New Vegas wasn't that bad.
>>
I want to punish Juliet for being a whore
>>
>>343821553
Maybe not on PC after several patches. On console, there were some ridiculous glitches, like how, for a while after release, leveling up after finishing the game would not work. The game also crashed often on loading screens and, on PC, quicksaves didn't work until several patches after release.
>>
You don't know what an engine is or does if you think the flaws in those games were because of the engine. I bet you're one of those people who automatically shit on every Unity game and then enjoy one without knowing it was Unity.
>>
>>343821656
>whore
how dare you
she is pure
she only learned pole dancing to stay fit. She loves her bf so much she will use magic and emergency surgery to stop zombification
she is the best gf
>>
>>343817850
>blaming the engine for bad games
you sound dumb. making your own engine from scratch is a time and money black hole. also, it's not like there's 1 build of unreal that gets passed around, devs typically modify the shit out of it to fit their needs.
>>
File: xrd.jpg (908 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
xrd.jpg
908 KB, 3840x2160
>>343817850
Guilty Gear Xrd is Unreal fucking 3

There are no excuses
>>
It's not wrong to use it, but it is wrong to use it for everything. I think a lot of people just use it for name recognition.
>>
>>343817850
>>343818546
why exactly do you think this tool is bad?
>>
>>343822967
It's because their technical artist knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
>>
File: 1467337767736.jpg (18 KB, 357x405) Image search: [Google]
1467337767736.jpg
18 KB, 357x405
>>343817850
>people falling for this obvious b8
>>
>le unreal is bad

Unreal is a pioneer of technology and is easy to use. Weeaboo cucks are just mad that their shitty gook companies have to use engines and technology from epic games, creator of unreal and gears of war, very american games. Unreal 3 did work last gen and unreal 4 looks to be pushing boundaries again for this gen. deal with it, obese weebs
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.