[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did this become a meme? It was never spoken aloud and is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: the_cake_is_a_lie_515.jpg (64 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
the_cake_is_a_lie_515.jpg
64 KB, 480x272
How did this become a meme? It was never spoken aloud and is only scrawled on an easily missable wall. In a very clever, quotable game, how was THIS the one quote that caught on?
>>
Fuck you
>>
Because it was a random statement, and I don't mean this like a insult, but it got popular because of 9gag, 9gag was posting like hell about it, and it caters to children that find memes from there easily because children like things that are random and out of place

Children being teenagers and under that

i know because i was one of those shitheads that were lol so random xD
>>
It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual phrase, and everything to do with the popularity and mass appeal of portal.

It's nothing more than a shallow reference that gained traction because of normies.

If a girl wanted to be somewhat subtle about attentionwhoring, she'd let out a sick gaming ref to let all the boys know how cool she is.
>>
Your first mistake is assuming any of the people parroting the cake is a lie meme even played the game. It's a simple, seemingly absurd, instantly recognizable quote that used to grant you a lot of "gamer cred" back in the day when the game was new and the "I'm such a nerd xD" fad was in full force.
>>
It was the easiest line to use as a punchline in short comics and know it would be understood by everyone. It was also a gamer litmus test, so it had the "secret club" feeling.
>>
>>343809349
Th-thanks.
>>
>>343809714
>>343809514
>>343809501
Every single one of you is underage and should be banned.
>>
>>343810762
Portal was 9 years ago gramps
>>
>>343809501
i had a deviantart page
i would purposely misspell things
i actually like temmie because she gives me fond memories of this
>>
>>343809184
I wish that I could turn back time
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 640x1136
Oc from earlier today in my irl friends group chat. What a gamer girl
>>
>>343809501
>9gag

The meme is literally older than 9gag.

Good job outing yourself.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.