[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Witcher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Dilapidated_Vizima_cemetery.jpg (80 KB, 832x500) Image search: [Google]
Dilapidated_Vizima_cemetery.jpg
80 KB, 832x500
got all three witcher games in a bundle, played a bit into 3 and now i have a hard on for the story.

is it worth going back and playing this for the plot or do i just look up some youtube vid for that?
>>
how about you play the fucking games you retard
>>
>>343785715
thanks for your recommendation, friend
>>
any game made before 2012 is basically unplayable at this point, just stick with 3
>>
>look on youtube
fucking millenials you are what's wrong with video games today
>>
>>343785536
Playing the first games will help you know more of the atmosphere and lore, it's well worth it even if the three games aren't directly linked in a same storyline.
>>
Only a minor part of 1's story carries over into 3 and only a minor part of 2's story carries over into 3. The only thing you would really miss out on by not playing 1 or 2 is the relationship you build with the main characters. Also 1 is a really good game if you aren't a pleb and 2 is alright too.
>>
>>343785536
Why would you start a serie with the third game?
>>
>>343786169
i guess ill elaborate.

i'm just interested in the plot, not looking to do a lot of busywork since the gameplay itself aside from dialogue is, frankly, shit.
>>
>>343785536
I'm in the same boat. Started playing Witcher 1 some time ago. It's REALLY clunky at the start, but you get used to it and quickly start recognizing some of the stellar writing you see in the later titles. Witcher 2 is even better, so I'd say go ahead and start from the beginning.
>>
>>343785536

>no scabbards

Why did we allow this for so long?
>>
The first game is cool, but kind of janky and weird, and if you don't like it after you get into the first part of Vizima, drop it.

The second game is legitimately good.

Neither game really matters with respect to TW3's story, mostly just to explain your relationships with a few characters (Roche, Triss, etc.).

More than anything, reading the books is what you'd need to really get all of the context of TW3's story, and the books aren't that great. The short story anthologies are really cool, but the novels just drag on forever and the author basically gave up halfway through.
>>
play 1 skip 2 play 3
>>
File: 707489.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
707489.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>343786113
I know you are baiting, but there are many kids who refuse to play vidya released before 2010, because they don't want to play retro shit.
>>
>>343785536
1 is fucking terrible. The combat is uniquely terrible in a way I've never seen before or since, and the RPG stuff is forgettable. The main story doesn't even start until the second or third act, which is many hours of gameplay if you're trying to do sidequests. And of course the graphics and voice acting have aged like fine milk.

I'd say skip 1, go straight to 2. 2 is fucking hard, so you may want to put the difficulty down if you're just playing for the buildup to 3.
>>
>>343786498

I'd say the Witcher 2 main quest has the best story of the games, but the gameplay in Witcher 2 is kind of annoying. Witcher 1 has very clunky gameplay and decent story. Its ok. It did have the possibility of getting drunk and having drinking contests, a feature I find it strange that they removed in later games. It really hits home what a literal hobo Geralt is. Witcher 3 was best overall, despite cringy main quest, it had so many great side quest stories and stellar expansions. But why did they make potions permanent? There is no lack of ingridients, and the inventory gets cluttered really fast.
>>
File: tip_valentine.jpg (52 KB, 617x700) Image search: [Google]
tip_valentine.jpg
52 KB, 617x700
>>343786451
If you really are interested in the plot you should start with the books. Sure, Witcher 1 starts with Geralt losing his memory and over time most important stuff is being explained anyway, but you'll lose a lot of other references to previous events.
>>
guys i started this witcher 3 game, how do i not suck at this card minigame? im trying to beat the red baron and he effortlessly wrecks my ass. do i need to purchase cards from somewhere or do i win good cards from people by beating them?
>>
>>343786440
was mostly hyped up for w3 from /v/ and /vg/ when blood and wine came out, so i wanted to dive into it.
>>
>>343787158
play/buy cards, build a deck with lots of spies and high number cards, abuse spies to get lots of cards and just win by numbers
>>
>>343787158
I would seriously suggest go downloading a mod that lets you buy all the common rarity cards from a guy in an inn, because otherwise you're going to get stuck using a single deck the entire game.
>>
>>343787158

Just play Northern Realms and you literally cant lose once you get a few decent cards.
>>
1 is quite dated and has huge issues in reards to pacing. It takes quite a long time to get decent/warmed up.

You can pretty safely start with the second game
>>
Story of the first game is barely related to Witcher 2 and 3, and rarely if ever referenced to.
>>
>>343787158
You gotta buy/win cards whenever you have the opportunity otherwise you're fucked
>>
>>343787625
You are retarded as fuck.

>>343785536
Play 1, get a walking speed mod.
Play 2, get the combat rebalance mod.
>>
>>343785536

I just finished playing through The Witcher 1 the other day, it's a little harder to get into at first because the combat is a bit weird and the first chapter and a half starts off kind of slow, but it's definitely worth it in the end. Story starts to get good later in chapter 2 and it keeps staying good. I definitely recommend giving Witcher 1 a chance, it's a great game in it's own rights. The combat isn't terrible, it's just a little awkward at first, once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. You may have trouble (Will have trouble) at the first boss in the 1st chapter, make sure you invest in Aard for him.
>>
1 had styles. That alone made it far better than the heavy and light attack. It was pretty shitty combat, without a doubt.

Levelinh up was right cocked too.

Kinda weird that I treat it the same way as STALKER when STALKER has far better gameplay and the same strange pinko magic.
>>
>>343787983

I didn't get a walking speed mod for W1, but I did get a mod that allowed me to mediate anywhere and access my storage anywhere, I highly recommend that because there's a ton of time specific quests in W1 and having to run back to an inn or campfire just to progress time gets annoying fast.
>>
>>343785536

Definitely play 2, that game is so polished and a joy to play. 1 is hard to get into but I thought it was pretty fun.
>>
File: 1464707379298.jpg (63 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1464707379298.jpg
63 KB, 800x600
3 (with all DLC and some mandatory mods) > 1 > 3 vanilla > 2
>>
>>343787991
>>343786964
between these two posts i'm thinking i'll pick up the books, play it into act 2, and if i get bored i get bored.
>>
>>343786451
>playing a video game only for the story
But why? just go read a book or watch a movie or TV show. Because of people like you devs are cutting on gameplay in favor of story and it pisses me off. TW3 is a perfect example.
>>
>>343788281
I said it once and I say it again: If you haven't read the books or at least a good summary of them then you won't get like half the fluff and story of Witcher 3.
>>
>>343787158
Protip: the spy cards are OP
Put as many as you can in your deck.
Use decoys to recycle enemy spies.
Use medics to revive enemy spies from previous rounds.
Literally the only thing you must know to beat everyone on the hardest difficulty even with a shitty deck.
>>
>>343788348
funny thing is i'm not much of a story fag. the witcher's just grabbed me, the characters and politics and shit. it's neat.
>>
>>343788276

I just really can't rank Witcher 1 that high up the totem pole, it had a great story, but I've enjoyed the story of all the Witcher games. It didn't really have that good of levels, swamp was a pain in the ass, Vizima was alright, there were lots of caves. The combat was alright, but it wasn't anything to write home about, alchemy was interesting though. I see people always say Witcher 1 is the best out of the series and while I enjoyed it I just don't see it as the best. If I had to rank em I'd say 3 > 2 = 1
>>
>>343785536
Witcher 1 is great so you should play that at least. 2 is kind of mediocre so you can probably skip it or watch a few vids on youtube.
>>
>>343788903
It's just that 2 is by far the worst game in the series, although still good. The people fanatically defending that game are the same guys that love "RPGs" like Mass Effect with their "bro companions".
>>
>>343789218

2 had it's issues, but I still liked it a lot. I think it had a great storyline. Combat may not have been the best. I enjoyed the level design and quests.
>>
>>343788348
And I bet you haven't played Underrail because it's "clunky" despite having one of the best RPG combat systems ever made.
>>
>>343789394
I have played Undertale and I thought it was shit.
>>
>>343789770
Read again.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.