[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some great horror games? and I'm not talking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: republic commando3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
republic commando3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
What are some great horror games? and I'm not talking about Amnesia level of horror, but Silent Hill level of horror
>>
>>343781539
Condemned
>>
amnesia, but definitely not silent shill
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>343781539
Some of my favorites I can recommend:

-Silent Hill 1-4 (PS2, PC)
-Scratches (PC)
-Fatal Frame -games (PS2, Wii)
-Penumbra: Overture & Black Plague (PC)
-Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut (PC, HL1 mod)
-Cry Of Fear (PC, HL1 & standalone)
-Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC, PS3/360)
-Resident Evil REMAKE (GC, Wii, PC/PS3/360)
-Underhell: Chapter 1 (PC, Source mod)

Honorable mentions: STALKER trilogy, FEAR 1 + Expansions.
>>
>>343781728
Thank you Comrade
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>343782283
NP, mate!
Speaking of Silent Hill, you can play the original games (1-4) on PC if you so desire. Here's a neat guide that helps ya run them smooth on modern PCs, and the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

Obviously playing in the release order is very recommend. I wouldn't play below Normal difficulties, and I'd recommend adjusting down the in-game Brightness too. Replaying each of them is also recommended.
>>
>>343782546
Wow, now you're just handholding me. I was actually going to dig into Silent Hill, thanks a lot for the help. I'm going to start with 1 soon.
>>
>>343783158
Attaboy!
Always happy to spread the SH love. The series has been brutally treated and neglected in the past decade, and you can't even really get the games anywhere legally either.

One more thing, here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

One last protip: Don't try to kill everything! If there's lots of space, LEG IT. You can also turn OFF the flashlight, making you almost invisible, after which you can either run like crazy or walk slowly to avoid being spotted.
>>
>>343783540
Will do lad. You've been a lot of help. At ease, soldier
>>
File: harry thumbs up_2.png (346 KB, 546x546) Image search: [Google]
harry thumbs up_2.png
346 KB, 546x546
>>343783769
good luck out there, buddy!
>>
>>343781728
>-Underhell: Chapter 1 (PC, Source mod)

Really? This game is such a clusterfuck.

The house is a neat little novelty but it's only a very, very small portion of the game. The majority of it is just various other games being very poorly imitated, most notably FEAR which you deemed only worthy of an honorable mention.

I understand it's free and made by amateurs and shit but still, it's really not good. And the fact that it's indie does not excuse the horrendously bad writing. I got about as far as the author self insert's silly soapbox rant about how governments are just there to oppress people and control them with fear and blah, blah, blah and dropped it.
>>
File: 2013-09-10_00003.jpg (614 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-10_00003.jpg
614 KB, 1920x1200
>>343783976
>didn't even play the game through
I could just drop that entire opinion right there

>The majority of it is just various other games being very poorly imitated, most notably FEAR which you deemed only worthy of an honorable mention.
I'm very aware that it "imitates" many things(that's called taking inspiration in other medias), but I found it to do that quite damn well for a free HL2 mod, made by a couple guys.

The gunplay especially was awesome; it just feels amazing to have shotguns with actual REACH and power for once. The body dismemberment and blood effects also make combat's aftermath a spectacle to behold.

The more horror-focused, stealthy "quiet" moments reminded me of Penumbra, which I really enjoyed. Not ashamed to admit that Underhell managed to spoop me a few times. The House especially is a cluster of scary things, and way it evolves towards the end... holy shit!

I'm also a sucker for some X-Files & MGS style conspiracy and supernatural stuff, so the game played many right notes for me.

tl;dr: I started playing the mod, because I heard it was kinda like FEAR.
What I didn't expect was to find what's technically a mix of FEAR + Penumbra + MGS of all things, with superb gunplay, fully voice acted characters, some neat visuals (working BROKEN mirrors!!!), and 20 hours worth of gameplay, with some branching routes + alternative endings, if I've understood correctly.

Underhell: Cp1 was literally my surprise GOTY of 2013.
>>
>>343784830
>I could just drop that entire opinion right there

Oh fuck off, I played more than enough of the game to form a valid opinion, several hours worth.

You describe it as "technically a mix of FEAR + Penumbra + MGS of all things", I describe it as a clusterfuck of sub-par implementations of all of them. If it was decently written I would at least have had that to carry me through to the end but it isn't so I decided to waste my time with a different game. Unless you are arguing that right after I stopped playing it gets a million times better I made the right decision.

It's just another /v/ favored "underdog", mediocrity overvalued for reasons other than the actual content of the game.
>>
File: UH - working broken mirrors!.jpg (353 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
UH - working broken mirrors!.jpg
353 KB, 1920x1200
>>343786204
>It's just another /v/ favored "underdog", mediocrity overvalued for reasons other than the actual content of the game.
nah, fuck off. I had genuine fun with this game, and I'd literally never heard of the whole thing before it just came out of the blue.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.