[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game is free >but it has ads every 5 minutes or so what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
>game is free
>but it has ads every 5 minutes or so
what do you think, /v/
>>
I'd rather pay money.

The fuck kinda question is this shit?

>blah blah blah one small thing is good
>BUT OTHER THING SUCKS HARD
>>
>>343773781
It goes into the thrash.

A more original thing to do is make the advertising as some in-game item that you must acquire in order to play the game.
That Xbox Doritos dinosaur game comes to mind as an example.
>>
>>343773781
what is mobile gaming?
>>
[x] pirate
>>
Are the ads on loading screens only?
>>
Just do the same thing racing games do, ads through boards or products (coke, doritos).
Immersive and not intrusive.
>>
File: 1371.jpg (48 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1371.jpg
48 KB, 750x750
>>343776027
>thrash
Cool.
>>
>>343773781
If the ads are intrusive shit that pops up in your face, no. Anything that looks anything like your mockup there is unacceptable.

If they're things like in-game billboards/video monitors or loading screens that's okay. I already play a game like that and the ads are very unintrusive.
>>
>game has ads and product placement everywhere
>three hours long and still full price
Fucking Homefront
>>
>>343778760
this is a decent idea
the problem is I've seen games try to do this and fail because load times are too quick or infrequent for the ad to even
maybe in a multiplayer game like a shooter or moba ads will load onto the screen until the respawn cooldown or whatever
>>
>ads during loading screens/ lobby time
maybe something like that
>>
>>343779436
That album would be the tits if the vocalist didn't sound like a 200 pound 12yo
>>
TAGART
>>
>>343773781
why not just go back to the shareware model?
>>
>>343781713
It was a good model for consumers, but bad for developers. Basically a large amount, maybe most players would play episode 1 and think they'd finished the game. They wouldn't read the 'BUY OUR GAME' screen, they wouldn't even know there was more.

You may not know this but people are real dumb.
>>
>>343782438
I am forever stunned by how dumb people are. Sometimes you have to wonder how some people manage to live independently.
>>
Why didn't billboards in games take off? Just slap a coca cola poster on the UAC space station wall.
>>
>>343783447
It was tried but I guess it didn't draw enough cash to be worth it. It can also be highly immersion breaking, such as when Battlefield 2142 has mint condition billboards for brands circa 2007 strewn around the place.
>>
File: star beers a new drunk.gif (2 MB, 247x161) Image search: [Google]
star beers a new drunk.gif
2 MB, 247x161
If it's a game set in modern times you could make it not intrusive, like in an open world you could have people talking about where to eat or where to rent cars from or ads on the streets and billboards..
>>
>>343784223
I honestly don't know why GTA didn't replace the cluckin' bell with KFC, the Burger Shot with McD or BK and just get millions more to make a better game
>>
File: 1463615655353.png (573 KB, 527x590) Image search: [Google]
1463615655353.png
573 KB, 527x590
I'd just wait for the fan patch that removes the ads.
>>
>>343784223

I remember Saint's Row 2 had real ads on their billboards. I don't remember any other game doing that.

I'm guessing as a delivery medium it was absolutely useless but at least it was unobtrusive.
>>
File: star beers the drunk awakens.gif (2 MB, 273x199) Image search: [Google]
star beers the drunk awakens.gif
2 MB, 273x199
>>343784543
I'm going to guess that a franchise wouldnt see with good eyes having a virtual representation of their restaurants in a game where you can enter the place with guns blazing and murder everyone for the hell of it, but i thing radio comercials and billboards would still work.
>>
>>343785432
But at the end of the day that's a virtual mcdonalds

that murder spree is fake, that burger image in your mind is very real
>>
>>343785650
Is not about what's real or not, it's about the image the franchise wants to project. For example; that racing game that has real life car models instead of Schmercedes Benz and the like (Gran Turismo i think), they can use the models but are forbidden by contract to allow the models to suffer structural damage when they crash into something.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.