[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think it's disappointing how poorly this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 1467617159830.jpg (165 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1467617159830.jpg
165 KB, 1024x576
Anyone else think it's disappointing how poorly this game did?

Sure the base game wasn't too great and the writing was completely meh throughout, the Borderlands universe still has a lot of great potential, as shown by stuff like Tales from the Borderlands, and a lot of the background stuff we only hear a bit about in the other games, the stories of the corporations and what happens on other worlds.

And the first DLC for The Pre-Sequel actually wasn't too bad, they even had a second planned but it was cancelled due to the game being a flop, and they pushed out the slaughter dome DLCs instead so people could at least get something for their season pass.
>>
>>343769196
I couldn't even finish Borderlands 2 though I plan to. It's just so boring.

Telltale's Borderlands was way better in story telling though I guess it's just a matter of preference. I would playthrough the games for the lore but it's a yawnfest.
>>
>>343769196
>base game wasn't too great and the writing was completely meh throughout
>disappointing that a game like that did poorly
What?
>>
If it had done any better it would have just encouraged Gearbox to farm their games out to small studios instead of giving their own franchises the care and attention they need. Gearbox don't care about quality, they care about money so anything that lets them find more corners to cut isn't necessarily a good thing. I'd prefer to wait a few years for quality than get mediocre crap fast.
>>
File: lZhebOH.png (43 KB, 1245x324) Image search: [Google]
lZhebOH.png
43 KB, 1245x324
>>343769196
Nah.

It's pure bilge.

The "universe" such as it is appears to consist of a single planet where all the action takes place.

All the writing is shit and nothing compelling happens because the development team are so hung up on making things "humourous".
>>
>>343769196
It sucked and deserved to fail
>>
People always say these games are full of memes, but where are they?

A lot of the dialogue can be made into memes, but I don't remember any actual memes.

Also fuck whoever allowed that friendzone bulshit in pre sequel. I near literally quit the game right then and there
>>
>>343769614
>Borderlands
>quality
Come on man
>>
>>343769727
pic's observation reminds me of GTAV's reliance of explaining its ironic universe to you more often than the last few games.
>>
>>343769482
It wasn't necessarily a bad game, and like all the Borderlands games the DLC ends up being pretty great at some point along the line. Though somehow compared to one and two TPS still feels lackluster.

So it's also disappointing in how the devs did so poorly.

We need more game play like Borderlands 1 had, and more writing like Secret Armory of General Knoxx and Tales from the Borderlands.
>>
>>343769413
BL1 was much much better than BL2, even tho gunplay was way worse
>>
>>343769837
Some in the level up upgrades, some as visual easter eggs. Memes aren't as prevalent as one would say but they;re there.
>>
>>343769837
It's not as full of memes as people like to pretend, but the actual annoying thing is this shit >>343769727
>>
>>343769727
They talk about other planets where shit happens, they have stuff going on like mega corporations going to war with eachother, as well as the discovery of other vaults across the universe, Pandora was a point of focus due to Vault being the first one really uncovered and then the Eridium rush after that.

Take a look at how Tales from the Borderlands handles it, with competent writers they can make it interesting.
>>
File: 145574084569.gif (51 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
145574084569.gif
51 KB, 500x514
>/v/ hates the game because it has too many internet memes in it
>/v/ is responsible for 90% of the internet's memes
I just don't understand
>>
>>343770631
Tales was so good.

Have they announced a sequel?
>>
The tone is a weird mix of meme-tier humor and slightly fht emotional weight. It's pretty bad. I do like some of the underlying "lore" and setting though. Shame the writing is absolute shit.

Overall, I like the concept and most of the execution of the series, but the writing and characters really drag it down.
>>
>>343770838
Memes don't need to be put in games. They're to enjoy outside of them.

It's like how a meme stops being funny when your grandparents discover it, game devs are about as in touch with the people who play their games as grandparents are with society as a whole.
>>
I am really glad it flopped. I can't think of a shooter if duller core gameplay and the horrible writing is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>343770838
Memes aren't a fucking substitute for substance you cockmunching retard.
>>
The tiny handful of actually well written moments in these games are kinda jarring with how much they stick out
>>
I just want Destiny to be on PC

or for The Division to not be slow and shit
>>
Gearbox deserves to die for how scummy their practices are.
>>
File: 1463495824370.png (245 KB, 630x357) Image search: [Google]
1463495824370.png
245 KB, 630x357
>play every game in the series with a core group of friends
>have an amazing time

It's not that tricky.
>>
I recently got tales from tge borderlands and was very surprised how much i enjoyed the world of borderlands. I have never played any of the main series games? I was thinking about getting the handsome collection, is it ok to start with number 2 and is the game fun in singleplayer?
>>
>>343772031
Are you playing for the story or the gameplay?

Lootshooters 1 was alright but to really enjoy it you're going to need an IRL partner. It can get real lonely.
>>
>>343772031
One is a good game actually. With friends it's a lot more fun, but 1 and its DLCs, or at least Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and 2 are fun solo. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is fun, and Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty has absolutely beautiful level design, and the most fun vehicle in the game ever, the Sandskiff.
>>
>>343772031
>fun in singleplayer?
Depends on the person. I had fun because I'm a sucker for loot and talent trees. I also played online coop with strangers though

>is it ok to start with number 2
Absolutely, but 1 is still worth a try. Feels different though.
>>
>>343769196
It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself its good.
>>
The only thing I liked in it was how Handsome Jacks character evolved.
>>
>>343772821
I like how Moxxi and Lilith are responsible for him being evil pretty much

>hey let's team up with this guy and help him kill badguys
>hey team, let's kill the badguys with my giant laser
>no ur giant laser is evil >:( let me kick you in the face and betray you
>>
>>343772821
>>343773034
That shit was terrible when his implied character development in Borderlands 2 was much better, it's been like 5 years since I played it but I remember it was mostly to do with his kid who has siren powers accidentally killing his wife and he had this whole internal conflict about blaming her but also wanting to protect her, locking her away and using her powers for his own gain. That shit was some actual quality writing in a videogame, then presequel goes and doesn't mention anything to do with that.
>>
>>343772821
I liked his TFB interactions but it was hard to be sold on him being not being evil in the choices parts.
>>
>>343773931
I supported Jack because
>Fiona is a cunt
>his idea was better
>he could help me get power at Hyperion
>you should be nice to the guy in your head able to hijack your arm
>>
>>343774446
I didn't trust him but I didn't tell anyone either.

Even though choices didn't matter, the dialogue and banter was enough to enjoy both sides.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.