[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I thought the RPG genre was dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: rpgs.png (979 KB, 965x483) Image search: [Google]
rpgs.png
979 KB, 965x483
I thought the RPG genre was dead?
>>
the only good game on that image is an 80s rpg with better graphics
>>
It is. Those are all cheap borderline indie games that aren't even all that great, and cling to the old instead of making good new things. Pillars of Eternity for example is probably the most boring uninspired WRPG ever made. Even the name is awful.

There used to be a time when AAA developers were making the best games in a genre, rather than us having to settle for indie efforts that merely satisfy.
>>
>>343745495
RPG is a ninche genre but AAA developers are trying to push the to big audiences and thats just destroying the genre.
Modern RPGs are just actions games with a leveling system.
Look at TES - the more popular it got the less rpg elements it has. Daggerfall had shit like Climbing as a skill.
>>
I see I'm too late to post before for the obligatory RPGCodex nigger shitting on PoE.
>>
>>343745358
>one good game
>half-baked diablo clone that will never be complete
>garbage
>boring garbage

Ah yes truly alive
>>
>>343748038
Ah yes, the good ole ''it's shit'' /v/retard
>>
>>343745358

>pillars of eternity

pure fucking garbage.

If you had any brains or taste you would've put Age of Decadence in it, but anyone who enjoys age of memenity mandatory perception checks and a shitty baldur's gate wannabe shit definitely has neither.
>>
File: 43124314325.gif (487 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
43124314325.gif
487 KB, 500x361
>all these people saying Grimrock is bad

Well I fucking loved it, and the first game. You guys are missing out
>>
File: 1467274002049.gif (395 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1467274002049.gif
395 KB, 500x500
>>343748196
>Age of Decadence
How is it? Looks kind of dodgy, but I love the idea of a hardcore well made and well balanced RPG in a low fantasy ancient Roman setting.
>>
>>343745358
Grimrocket and Grim Dawn are both 10/10 games.
DivOS is great but you need a friend to co-op with, don't bother otherwise.
PoE is boring as shit, I have 30 hours of it but had to drop because of how uninteresting it was.
>>
>>343748959

It's about as classic as you can get, it even has unforgiving RNG and dialogue/skill based game overs and unwinnable situations (ie le goyim characters joining the army or political characters not being cunning enough or getting into unwanted fights).
>>
>Legend of Grimrock
>Pillars of Eternity

i though /v/ like good gameplay. those 2 are garbage when it come to gameplay
>>
>>343748320
Don't worry, those are the usual suspect. Always 4-5 retards who insult any new rpg that comes out, and repeat the retarded opinions of others.
>>
>Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Weak RPG but flawless combat system that makes up for it

>Grim Dawn
Boring

>Legend of Grimrock 2
Excellent, the first one is excellent as well.

Pillars of Eternity
Excellent, looking forward to Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 2

And that's not even a third of all the recent RPG's that have been released. CRPG's are easily the genre that flourished the most with Kickstarter.
>>
>>343748196
Age of Decadence is fucking awful.
I can forgive its garbage graphics and poor transitions, but the indie quality maps and map navigation, the boring, simplistic and repetitive combat system and the atrociously clunky interface I cannot stand.

It seriously plays like a game released in 1990 and I'm sorry, but that shit just doesn't fly. It took 7 years to develop and this was the best they could come up with, fucking embarrassing.

The writing may be excellent (I cannot confirm or deny, did not go far enough into it), but everything around is is awful. Pretty much every other CRPG released in the past three years is much better than that piece of shit.
>>
>>343748038
>half-baked diablo clone that will never be complete
What? It is finished and released.
>>
>>343746463
They succeeded at first making a decent hybrid - mass effect 1
>>
>>343751131

If age of decadence feels like a 1990 game, then pillars of horse shit feels like 1970s atari game.

>no companion AI
>a UI so bad a commodore64 RPG is more comfortable to manage
>>
>>343751056
>Weak RPG but flawless combat system that makes up for it
You read my mind. Are there any games that come even close to having as good or even somewhat similar combat as D:OS ?
>>
>>343751824

Not him, but I got high hopes for DOS2.
>>
>>343752081
Me too, gonna be a while till release though.
>>
>>343752262

Good things come to those who wait. And I'd honestly have a really fleshed out RPG with DOS1 combat than anything rushed.

Take as long as they need.
>>
>>343751732
Pillars has companion A.I. and the U.I. is significantly improved from Baldur's Gate 2.
I suspect you haven't played the game, my man.
>>
Why do people try to outdo each other in how much hatred and negativity they can pile on threads about isometric rpgs?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.