[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ I bought this a week ago in the Steam Sale and for the hour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 12
/v/ I bought this a week ago in the Steam Sale and for the hour I played of it, it was absolutely fucking garbage. The combat was monotonous, the characters were uninteresting, and the level of linearity was unacceptable.

But I like Final Fantasy X which is called a seriously linear game.

Does FFXIII open up like FFX or is it all just that garbage?
>>
FF13 is linear up til pulse which is pretty far into the game if I remember correctly. Honestly, if you don't like it what you've seen, i'd just refund it.
>>
It doesn't open up until you're about 3/4 of the way through, but even then the only extra thing you get to do is some monster hunt quests. No town exploration or anything.

By the time I got to that point I couldn't have cared less. I just wanted to get it over with and finish it.
>>
>>343727423
>Honestly, if you don't like it what you've seen, i'd just refund it.
Yeah that's the thing, I refunded it last week.
But it's the end of the sale so just wondering if it's worth it after all.
>>343727461
>but even then the only extra thing you get to do is some monster hunt quests. No town exploration or anything.
FUUUUUUUUUUCK that shit
Were they really having that much difficulty with the hardware or...?
>>
No

13 is like X but shittier in everyway (minus the minigames and loads of optional stuff)
>>
I guess it just baffles me how they could have fucked it up that badly
>>
>>343727608
They actually cut a fuckload of stuff from XIII because the development was so run on.
>>
>judge a slow-burn genre videogame after an hour

But yea, it will be like that for half the game but it's still worth beating. Take it for what it is and stop comparing it to other games, including FF games.
>>
>>343728457
>Take it for what it is and stop comparing it to other games, including FF games.
>stop disliking the game I like for valid reasons
>>
>>343728551
I didn't say that at all but okay
>>
FFXIII doesn't get better until literally the end of the game. Idiots will tell you that you should play it until then, but who the fuck really wants to play a crap game for 60-80 hours before it ever even gets decent?
>>
>>343727205
>But I like Final Fantasy X which is called a seriously linear game.

And I assume that's entirely due to nostalgia goggles.

>Does FFXIII open up like FFX or is it all just that garbage?

Yes it does when you get to Pulse, but it honestly isn't worth it. And when does X open up? Last time I checked it was a straight line from beginning to end, the only "open" part of the game was the Calm Lands, and that was just one small area.
>>
>>343729570
>And I assume that's entirely due to nostalgia goggles.
Eh, maybe? I like the world of it, lots of different locales and Sphere Grid is incredibly good thinking.
>And when does X open up?
...every time you hit a town, for starters.
>>
>>343727205
At the end it opens up, but you are stuck with what you got in the begining. I really hated that game.
>>
/v/ I kinda want to buy it still because it's Final Fantasy and the music is amazing and the visuals and

tell me it's a mistake and I'll regret it
>>
You go about 40 hours into the game before it "opens up"
And its opening up is it drops you on its version of X's Calm Lands, except with a single sidequest chain and no minigames.

>>343731105
It's not Final Fantasy. It has very little in common with any of the previous Final Fantasy games, INCLUDING the ones that go very far off like VIII and XII. Don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.
>>
13 and 13LR are beyond shit, not worth touching. 13-2 was decent though, for a CT-lite game.
>>
>>343731105
Naw it's good. Really fun battle system that becomes very strategic during endgame and some engaging characters. Very good lore too. Pay attention, it seems convoluted but if you read the datalog for more backstory you'll find there's actually a really interesting story and world.
>>
>>343731105
You actually like the music? With such a huge ost there is only 2 tracks which I like, which is very unusual for all the other final fantasies I have played.

Anyway the game gets decent like 20-30 hours in when the tutorial stops, but I still wouldn't go through that shit again. The story is so horribly told that you are better off using the in game encyclopedia.
>>
File: Angel.gif (13 KB, 214x250) Image search: [Google]
Angel.gif
13 KB, 214x250
>>343731717
>>343731105

No, Anon! This Anon lies, do not listen to him!
The battle system has very limited input and control on your part, it's mostly a matter of knowing what role to have active at each given point and pressing auto-battle at every turn until you have to switch! The higher elements of the lore are mostly obcured unless you play the two subsequent games! Essential plot elements are only addressed on the datalogs, and never by the characters themselves! What you played, it stretches all the way to the last 15% of the game, no cities, no NPCs, no free-roaming, no nothing! The character development is there, but that alone does not justify the game as a whole!

Do not be tricked!
>>
>>343732167
>not utilizing ATB refresh
>not utilizing synth abilities
>using alternating attacks
>not manipulating field position
>not utilizing field skills
>>
>>343732167
>limited control meme

It gives you far more freedom than most turn based games once the training wheels are off and it actually forces you to use defensive moves and buffs/debuffs whereas most JRPGs is attack/magic/heal and you can beat the whole game.
>>
>>343732628
To be fair FFX was the same
>>
>>343732628
Buffs and debuffs being near essential are hardly an exclusive feature of this game, and they by no means make up for the loss of party control and streamlined nature of the combat, with removal of basic, essential elements such as mana.

It gives you NO freedom in character building until the last 15% of the game where the Crystareum [I believe it was the name? Either way, it is pretty much a worse version of X's sphere grids] unlocks for everyone.
>>
>>343732881
>debuffs
>working on end-game bosses ever
Heh. But to add to it, most JRPG suffers from end game overpowering, where when you unlock your ultimate move, it literally comes down to just spamming it over and over.
>renzokuken spam in FF8
>quick attacks/overdrive spam in FFX
>quad Knights of the Round in FF7
Etc.
>>
>>343733334
You can't beat bosses like Seymour Natus/Flux or Yunalesca without debuffs or other strategy.
>>
>>343733120
I already said that it opens up fully during endgame. There is a load of strategy trying to 5 star all the missions. I had the completely change line-ups, paradigms, and strategies to get 5 stars plenty of times. Everything matters.

You are controlling other characters through paradigms. You are the manager. Also if I remember correctly you can switch members in-battle or maybe that started with XIII-2.
>>
>>343733628
No, you can't beat them unless you use buffs. You can do it without using debuffs since a majority of them doesn't work on them anyway.
>>
>>343733628
My strategy for Flux was just to Aeon overdrive rush him when the turn timer started.

Only recall using Haste regularly in that game.
>>
>>343734035
Dispel
Reflect
That's what I mean
>>
>>343734048
Well that's the bitch nigger answer to every boss.
>>
>>343733759
You can't switch members in battle I don't think, I can confirm that at least.

You might very well be right about the Star system, considering I didn't pursue 5 stars on every aspect I simply couldn't comment on that. That said, there wasn't much more strategy required to simply completing the game in comparison to what other people call the heal/attack/magic model of other Final Fantasies. Most of my complaints about the battle system however can be summed up by the opinion that they tried to make it as cinematic as possible to the point of putting style over substance. The lack of MP management contributes a lot to that, there's no reason to worry about long-term management of the battle or MP conservation or any of those things.

But hey, it's OP's call.
>>
>>343734423
That's what I mean. No "easy way out" in 13. Can't even depend on just over leveling.
>>
>>343734638
Here's my point of view. Why have a boss with too many HP? If you've already figured out how to beat him, then him having a lot of HP is just a way to prolong the fight.
>>
>>343734638
I disagree. It's non-stop action. Summons are the most cinematic thing and to me they were useless other than Vanille's Eidolon.

MP management was never an issue for me. You could use items to refill it anyway. MP is an unnecessary mechanic in my opinion. It had style but I think it's objectively wrong to say it doesn't have substance.
>>
File: 1418001253863.jpg (28 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
1418001253863.jpg
28 KB, 500x344
>>343735110
Your viewpoint is not without value, and it certainly holds up especially when you look up at certain bosses in recent games [hello, Yiazmat]. A good boss battle is not made 50% more enjoyable if you make the boss have 50% more HP.

>>343735573
Eidolons really were rather useless. For some reason ever since they hit a peak on X, every subsequent game has made them less and less rewarding to use.

I vaguely recall reading about the IZJS of XII having different summon controls to the base game, and you being able to control them directly, changes which will be incorporated in the upcoming remaster. I hope that's indeed the case.
>>
Its a polarizing game but I actually really enjoyed most parts of it. Not my favorite FF but still better than X
>>
>>343736023
>posting Torizo
my man
>>
>>343727996
Half the reason XIII-2 and LR were made was because the devs wanted all the shit they made to go SOMEWHERE.

XIII is a masterclass in how not to develop a game, basically.
>>
>>343731105
You might want to play the sequels instead.
>>
>>343736890
Actually, it was because 14 fucked up the company and 13-2 and LR was cheap to develop in a fast amount of time.
>>
Is XIII a good entry jRPG, guys? it was my first because I was bored and wanted to try something that wasn't a platformer or shooter
>>
>>343737467
Jesus fuck no, unless you hate yourself.

If you want a good entry level jrpg play Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>343737230
Yeah, that's another reason.

I'm not super into XIII but I'm kind of into LR so I guess it worked out in the end
>>
>>343737581
it worked out for me, I've played plenty of more traditional jRPGs since playing through SMT: Strange Journey and Persona 1 atm, so I don't think that's bad taste
>>
I'm going to marry Lightning!
>>
>>343731105
If you really want to play XIII just skip straight to XIII-2. The sequel fixes A LOT of the problems XIII had, and it comes with a recap of the events of XIII to catch you up to the story.
>>
I can understand folks who dislike FF13, but personally I liked it because it was comfy. I could just sit back in my recliner and press A a lot. Sure, it's not exciting or often challenging. But it's fun in its own kind of way.
>>
>>343737946
The game completely undoes 13's ending, too, now that I think of it.

XIII-2's story actually makes MORE sense if you don't play the first game. That's really fucked up!
>>
>>343737946
XIII-2 was terrible
I'd rather play the first one
>>
>>343729010
More like 25 hours. And I finished FF4 in that time.
>>
>>343738039
this. Its maximum comfy with bits of strategy and lore for those who want it
>>
>>343738039
The setting of XIII is really cool. That makes the hallway bullshit all the more frustrating, because Cocoon and Pulse are places I'd really like to run around and discover towns full of people to interact with.

I know the plot justifies the hallway bullshit, but in my opinion that just means that never should have been the game's plot to begin with.
>>
>>343727205
FFXIII is one of those games that get really good about 20 hours in. If you aren't interested in the story enough to carry you through the boring first 20 hours, then you won't enjoy it. I really liked the story from the start, so I had a good time with the game. That being, said, I'll never play it ever again. Ever. Because the argument "it gets good after *x amount of hours*" is a desperate attempt at defending a kinda bad game. Although, I did enjoy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns all the way through, and will play them again, eventually.
>>
>>343727205
it's not bad after the requisite 8 hour hallway of narrative they force you to run down, before that though it's pretty fucking terrible
>>
>>343739329
Huh, I grew up in a rural area and landscapes just never did it for me. I kinda liked the hallways though I can understand why someone would be frustrated and screaming "GAME DESIGN''
>>
File: ff13 chocobo pulse.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ff13 chocobo pulse.jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
>>343727205
eh, It really isn't as bad as people say.
I personally picked it up for dirt cheap couple years ago, despite having heard all sorts of shit about it.

The BEGINNING really didn't even try to prove all the bad claims about it wrong, but luckily, to my own surprise as well, the more I played, the more entertaining and hooking it became. It's not GOTYAY or best JRPG ever in any sense, but it's FAR from the "worst crap ever" -category. A solid 7/10 experience IMO.

The sequels fixed, expanded and improved many things, especially pacing and gameplay. Up to you whether you like the direction they went with the plot and cast, but they're not hideous either. I found especially LR to be total blast, easily my 2014's GOTY. The 13-2 was simply fun, easily 8/10 at least.

protip: when the party and combat systems expand, start using manual combos + REPEAT function, instead of spamming Auto Battle.
>>
>>343736595
I never understood why X and VIII get free passes for having bullshit people whine about in the series anyway.
>>
>>343731105
Don't do it anon, visuals and music don't make a game, they make a movie, just watch the cut scenes on YouTube if you want to watch it, trust me there is no difference from playing it and watching some one play it when it comes to this game.
>>
I really don't get how people can call XIII trash and then say XIII-2 is good?
>>
>>343738039
Then you must love phone games because that's all you do any ways.
>>
>>343741498
>>343741272
>not wanting to wander through a beautiful world like Gran Pulse or even some of the hubs in Palumpolum, looking at the billboards and architectural design
also, fuck you and your phone games
>>
>>343739329
I hate 13, but the world would be awesome to check out. That's the problem though, rpg is supposed to be a role playing game that allows the player to explore the surroundings.
>>
>>343731105
>tell me it's a mistake and I'll regret it
I thought it WOULD be a mistake, but I ended up liking it A LOT. The sequels were far better gameplay and pacing-wise.

>>343741272
the game's lore, combat and cast were great too. I also love the monster design
>>
>>343741636
Play Vanillaware games.
They're far prettier than XIII and feature actuallly good gameplay.
>>
>>343727205
Did the same and I have to say I'm hooked. Yeah its linear but the story is cool enough even if the main characters deliver is so poorly. The class switching system is intuitive and makes combat complicated but feels more worthwhile. I just got up to opening up. It's about chapter 11 or 25 hours in.
>>
>>343741636
>>343741636
Grand pulse was just a field with one village, and you have to wait till the end game to fucking get there and fuck thos floating rocks that gave you quests, what and npc is too much to make? There was no loot or caves or secret areas to explore.
Looking at the design like it's a museum of the creators over designed garbage isn't the same as exploring.

The lore was awful too, if you want to make a good story you don't use made up words and expect the player to do homework to understand what the fuck you are talking about in your autistic made up language.
>>
>>343742403
>if you want to make a good story you don't use made up words and expect the player to do homework to understand what the fuck you are talking about
spoken like a typical Amerifat.
Unless you have a mind of 5 year old, you should pick up all the whooping 4 "foreign terms" in a matter of an hour.
>>
File: image.png (47 KB, 256x258) Image search: [Google]
image.png
47 KB, 256x258
>Game doesn't open up until 25 hours in
I'll never understand how people can defend this
>>
>I played ff13 for an hour
opinion disgarded

>but I liked FFX despite it being linear also until you get to calm lands
baka senpai.

quit with the memes already and just admit you don't like not being able to control all the characters or whatever reason you actually hate on this game and not 'its linear' FFS.
>>
>>343741740
I disagree, on all three counts.
Lore was irrational and made no sense unless you pause the game and use the codex encyclopedia. When you are making a story and you use made up words you have to use in story dialogue to teach the reader what is going on.

The characters were the most shallow and narsacistic characters ever in Final Fantasy.
Lightning was more of a complete birch than a badass. Blaming snow for what an omnipotent demi god did was retarded.
Hope was even worse, there were plenty of kid characters in final fantasy and in other rpgs that showed more balls than Hope. Hope could have made a good character comeback but stayed as the little bitch he was.
Then there is the design, the over designed monsters and Fal'cie that you couldn't tell their assessment from their faces. For some monsters quite literally.
And I forgot the 4th you said, combat.
The combat was something new but lacked even more control than its predecessors. You didn't control where they moved nor when they attacked, you give suggestions that they follow after they did their default choice first. Switching their class in mid battle would be better if they had more to it as the game went on. Staggering and knockdown cap was just an excuse to make the hp even longer than previous final fantasies.
>>
>>343742536
Fal'cie isn't a foreign term you moron. These were made up words. You should pick up a book and learn how story building works before you start spouting nonsense like a 3rd world septic tank.
>>
File: 910959.jpg (682 KB, 1081x1000) Image search: [Google]
910959.jpg
682 KB, 1081x1000
>Final Fantasy XIII thread
>not one picture of the goddess
How do you fuck this up?
>>
File: FFXIII_enemy_Proto-Behemoth.png (179 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII_enemy_Proto-Behemoth.png
179 KB, 620x420
>>343743335
>Lore was irrational and made no sense unless you pause the game and use the codex encyclopedia.
I never opened the encyclopedia thing during my playthrough, and I got most of the things just fine. Just open your ears, listen to what people say, and observe the environments.

>When you are making a story and you use made up words you have to use in story dialogue to teach the reader what is going on.
They do that. They also use repetition within specific context to underline and enforce the few foreign terms, which like said, you should be able to pick up in no time. Also, some of the slight confusion in the way the story's told can be explained with the fact that Vanille was originally supposed to be the MC of the game.
Lightning was more of a complete birch than a badass.
She was never meant to be a badass. She was just once a soldier loyal to her country, forced into very tough moral dilemma, and going through lots of stress. She opens up and calms down quite a bit once she gets to vent out some of her steam.
>Hope was even worse, there were plenty of kid characters in final fantasy and in other rpgs that showed more balls than Hope.
The difference between Hope and many other (animu-esque) kid characters is the fact that Hope was literally just a kid. A child who'd liven a sheltered, safe life up until that point. He's easily one of the most realistic characters in the game.
>Then there is the design, the over designed monsters and Fal'cie that you couldn't tell their assessment from their faces. For some monsters quite literally.
That's not a bad thing, because there's this strong over-grown / mutated / engineered themes going on. Especially the bio-mechanic versions of the classic foes were just beautiful.
>The combat was something new but lacked even more control than its predecessors.
You can time your attack combo's starting moment, and also cancel them mid-way through if needed. That's already quite a lot MORE control than in old ATB.
>>
>>343744306
I did listen and all they were talking about was their focus and having no fucking idea what was going on.I don't believe you for a fucking second that you didn't read the encyclopedia, because there was information that wasn't in the main game or story line. The was no underlining context to any thing they said, they kept saying made up words and expect you to read the codex after words because they were so far up their own ass about their shitty character development. While I might add was not the most realistic, because if he was realistic he would have come to realize he let his mother down and not snow for not taking the fucking gun in the first place. The who vent out her own steam was a bulls hit excuse since their were 5 other people who had the same thing happen to them or fucking worse.
Now the overgrown mutated shit I get but when you introduce a thing floating in the air and not have it the focal point in the shot you have no idea what you are looking at, this is the Fal'cie I'm mostly talking about.

Don't give me that you have to listen bulls hit because they didn't say anything that explained anything in the dialogue.
When telling a story you have to have who what when and where and yes the why. First the where was constantly confusing because cacaoon was never disgust as being a separate planet from pulse. Every time they changed scenery you had know fucking idea where they were on cacoon.
Who was defiantly established over and over and over again, and the story suffered for it because of its narsacistic plot. When was just jumping back forth in flash backs and at least those were managable, the what was the biggest thing.
They use exposition on talking about the zombie crystal people, but said fuck it to the rest of what was going on, the tunneling Fal'cie made tunnels but apparently the world Fal'cie was being tossed around like a goddamn tennis ball. There was nothing defining the Fal'cie.
>>
>>343742403
>if you want to make a good story you don't use made up words and expect the player to do homework to understand what the fuck you are talking about in your autistic made up language.

Is this your first JRPG?

Calling the lore awful because you couldn't understand it(which isn't hard to understand at all) makes no sense. You're making a comment on yourself, not the lore.
>>
>>343745340
Continued
There was nothing on the in game dialogue that gave required exposition on what the fuck was going on.
The story was just bad fan fiction and to prove it is the fact that an encyclopedia in the menu exist. not beastrary or a list on how to make certain items, but an encyclopedia explaining the fucking background of the story and why the world is what it is.
>>
>>343727205
>it was absolutely fucking garbage

This has been common knowledge for 9 years now.
>>
>>343745567
Oh I understood it, any one could understand it, it was just terrible story telling. I get the whole fight against destiny only to end up fulfilling that destiny all along bullshit, but if you make a made up world with made up words you bet your retarded ass that you have some exposition instead of expecting the player to read up on the encyclopedia to know what the fuck that over design piece of shit I'm fighting is.
>>
>>343744306
>Vanille was originally supposed to be the MC of the game

waaaat I didn't know that
>>
>>343745803
You're confusing lore with plot. The datalog contains the lore. The lore is great.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs making up strange words but it's a trope that you just have to deal with.
>>
>>343744306
13 had literally no freedom in its battle system or even it's leveling up system, you had less control of the characters than you did in any other final fantasy.
>>
>>343746002
The lore is tied to the plot, and plot uses the lore with no explination. That's the problem, world building is a big fucking part of the plot especially when you have two fucking planets at war with eachother.
>>
>>343746064
>literally no freedom

hyperbole: the post
>>
>>343746064
I feel like people who make these useless observations either haven't played many FFs or many jRPGs in general.

Its nothing new for a FF to have a wildly different battle system than the previous.

Its nothing new for a jRPG to not give you full control of your other party members.
>>
>>343746256
Never said they were all the same but they at least had more control freedom than 13 did, the game would literally play for you.
>>343746236
Sure I'm embellishing, but compared to the other final fantasy games 13 had the least.
>>
>>343746256
I feel people who just eat up terrible games just have a lack of standards and no sense of game play and only play these for their graphics and visuals.
>>
>>343727205
it gets good 30 hours in, no i'm not joking, the game has a 30 hour long tutorial.
>>
>>343746437
>the game would literally play for you.
find the person who never made it past Gran Pulse
>>343746525
the fact that you've never played an SMT game shows your lack of standards
>>
>>343746437
It plays for you like any other FF where you press x and they attack? How is it different? Because there is an auto-battle selection? Somehow this makes people go full retard.

Using auto-battle gives you the same level of freedom as other games, doing it manually gives you more freedom.
>>
People say it opens up but only for about two areas then it continues being the same follow the line shi

I bought this game on release thinking it'd at least be as good as X but it was pure trash all the way through
>>
>>343746758
>at least be as good as X
it surpassed X anon, you're the one who's pure trash
>>
>>343746758
Story-wise the game is linear for sure. People are usually referring to the missions. For me, mission hunting after I beat it was more fun than the main game and I probably put in more hours during endgame than the main game.
>>
>>343746637
>Using auto-battle gives you the same level of freedom as other games, doing it manually gives you more freedom.

What the fuck am I reading? Auto battle means less freedom so you can sit back and watch while the game does it for you
>>343746607
Actually not playing SMT would be a perfect example of having standards and proves that people who like 13 are just weaboos to begin with, so you aren't really making your case.
>>
>>343747049
>Actually not playing SMT would be a perfect example of having standards and proves that people who like 13 are just weaboos to begin with, so you aren't really making your case.
SMT =/= Persona 3+ you fucktard, there's nothing weeb about MegaTen
>>
>>343747049
>I want to attack
>Press x to attack, game does it for you

It's literally no different. Switching paradigms is the same thing as deciding what action to take in another FF. Doing it manually means you have a lot more control because you can do up to 6 different things in one turn.
>>
>>343747183
The setting of the first game is modern tokyo.
I think you might not know what weaboo is, you weeb.
>>
>>343747351
I'm not denying that I like Japanese games since we're in a FF thread, but being set in Tokyo has next to nothing to do with the actual gameplay of fighting demons in a hellish alt dimension. Of course you're just shitposting since you've never played a single game mentioned in this thread
>>
>>343747317
How bout that there is select to attack, then special ability, then there is a magic, then there is separate magic to choose from, then that magic effects how much mp you use. Then there is the fact when I press attack they actually do what I say instead of just attacking by themselves and accasionally switching classes, which also attack with out your input. There is a difference, you just don't mind watching the game play itself for you.
>>
>>343747552
So if they took out auto-battle completely then you'd have no issue with the combat?

Every time I hear this complaint it completely ignores the fact that you can manually input commands.
>>
>>343747531
Really? Since most of the characters are teenagers fighting demons. Come the fuck on anon who the fuck are you fooling.
>>
>>343747717
>teenagers
this confirms you haven't played the game. You literally play as an American soldier in SJ
>>
>>343747716
No, I would also get rid of the stagger system, make the class shift more rewarding and complex as the game went on, be able to actually build my character the way I want it, not just a stream of mag +1 st+1 oh look now you learned fire, add more special attacks specific to those characters that would actually do more damage than just get an enemy to stagger, allow you to control all of your team mates and keep the out of fucking aoes. Allow full control of your summon or at least make more devistating attacks.
>>
>>343747552
Question. If a monster is weak to fire, what elemental magic do you use against it?
>>
>>343747830
Of course not again I have standards.
>>
>>343727205
FF13 is garbage, it gets waaaay better as soon as you have your full party of 6 and you actually have agency, but by then you're already done with 65% of the game. It's not worth it.

FFX was linear too, but the story was very well-paced and atmospheric, as opposed to FF13 trying way too hard to be a retarded action movie for weebs.
>>
Bought XIIILR on the stream sale. Refunded it in 10 minutes.

How the fuck do you create a pc port with no mouse controls?
>>
>>343748239
>saying anything good about the story of X
opinion discarded
>>
File: 910933.jpg (303 KB, 771x626) Image search: [Google]
910933.jpg
303 KB, 771x626
>>343743594
>>
>>343748024
Bruh. You obviously didn't play the game. You get quite a bit of freedom in the synth abilities and character equipment. There are specific equipment that's designed to turn Hope into a physical attacker. And you can dodge AoE attacks by manipulating character attacks. Also, each characters have a unique animation, as does each elemental type. And character classes do get better as you level them up so it makes it worth it to switch to them. It's very obvious you're parroting shitty opinions, because 13 allows you to do the most damage in a single attack than any other FF game save the MMO's.
>>
>>343748040
Depends on the type of magic I have available at the time. I use fire but if I have an ability with a certain character let's say a warrior who has fire sword or if the said monster is a specific one like a plant and I have a characer with plant killer ability and his attack beats out the magical power of mage I would use regular attack to save mp and move on to the next battle.
>>
>>343748360
Exactly, the most efficient. So what's wrong with the game doing it for you? In fact, the game doesn't even do it efficiently either. You're still free to make choices or just go with the boring fire attacks.
>>
How are the sequels to this game?
>>
>>343748353
No you can't I've played the game and I know it's hard for you to fathom but the game is shit. Deal with it. If you can do the most damage in a single attack then why the fuck wold you allow a fucking stagger system into it. I've played your shitty first final fantasy game. It was garbage and the majority of people who played it agree.
>>
>>343748489
They are a little better at least 2 was.
>>
>>343748521
>says he's played the game
>gives no valid evidence to suggest that in the same exact post
you should just leave before you embarrass yourself even more anon
>>
>>343748615
I gave you evidence, the lacking of your ability to lurk isn't my fault.
>>
>>343748024
The leveling is linear as fuck but endgame weapons can transform your character into whatever you want. Leveling barely meant anything in this game. It was always strategy and trying to beat enemies as fast as possible for that 5 stars. The stagger system was great because you couldn't go into every battle mindlessly pressing x, which ironically you perceive as being the other way around.
>>
>>343748782
and yet you still misread my post. If any isn't lurking (or playing any games for that matter) its you
>>
>>343748521
The stagger system prevents people from spamming the ultimate attacks over and over again. Like how in FF8 even super bosses became easy once you could spam Renzokuken, or quad KotR in FF7, or quick hits and overdrive in FFX. Also, Fang's Highwind is the single most damaging move in FF doing 4 hits of 999,999 damage each under the right condition.
>>
>>343748954
There was never a problem with that, people enjoyed the fuck out of the fact that you could level up to God hood and fuck shit up.
>>343748895
I think you miss read the entire situation and are back peddling because you have an argument anymore.
>>
>>343748887
LEVELING is what makes an rpg a fucking rpg, there was little strategy in this game. It was simply entry level battle system for people who had short attention spans that couldn't deal with turn based battles.
>>
>>343749118
>you have an argument anymore
Indeed I do. You said you played the game but in the same post neglected to give any information suggesting so. Infact this entire thread has been you backpeddling since you realized not everyone has the same meme opinion of a game they ACTUALLY played, unlike you
>>
>>343749118
And you still could, but this time you need to fully use the combat system. Better than having a wide array of abilities that you never end up using once something better comes along.
>>
>>343749332
Leveling is a part of it, not the sole thing.

Saying there is little strategy is bullshit. Out of all JRPGs XIII is the least deserving to get this complaint so much. There are other underlying factors involved when people deride even its strengths.

I got through every other FF I played with far less strategy than XIII. Worlds apart actually.
>>
>>343749332
Does anyone else see the irony in this post?
>>
>>343749393
Hahaha
Wow the narsacistic ego you have, this is why weebs are fucking stupid. I have beaten the game, I remember the final guy was the pope that turned into a fucking over designed piece of dry wall then another over designed face. To kill him all you had to do was use poison on him and he's done. Some amazing amount of strategy there huh? Remember fang and Vanille became the ragnorok and turned into a crystal to stop cacoon from falling because the Fal'cie was keeping it up?
Oh remember when hope try to stab snow because of his mom dying and he was such a little bitch about it he had to blame some one else for being such a fucking pussy?
Yeah I played the game, it was garbage, good graphics but garbage in the end.
>>
complaining about autobattle is like playing on easy mode then complaining that it exists.
>>
>>343749645
Thos wide array of abilities is the freedom I'm talking about and you have the choice to use them, taking them out is fucking stupid.
>>343749670
Then you are an idiot if you need more strategy to beat 13.
>>
>>343749850
Who said you had to use poison?

The only monster I think you HAD to use poison on was the final mission.
>>
>>343749967
But you never used them. No one uses fire when Fira was available unless they were out of MP, but in 13 all abilities remains useful in even in endgame. It has more useful abilities than any other FF.
>>
>>343749967
>Then you are an idiot if you need more strategy to beat 13.
Could say the same about you with other FFs.
>>
>>343749978
I said all you had to do is use poison, meaning the basic thing to kill the guy is right there and it took the least amount of strategy. Jesus reading comprehension much? Teenagers and their fucking arguments I swear you just shove your head up your ass.
>>
>>343750072
You could, but You'd be wrong.
>>
>>343750141
I see, so that was your strategy.
>>
>>343750220
Every game ever
>see monster
>reduce monster's HP
>heal as needed
>win
It's all the same shit, bruh.
>>
>>343750325
Sounds like you only played 13, I can see through your lies.
>>
>>343750382
Bruh, 13 adds an extra step. Looks like you DIDN'T play 13.
>>
The combat is pretty terrible until the party members become l'Cie (this is when you unlock roles, magic, paradigm shifting, etc) which occurs hours into the game. Until then you just spam grenade with Snow and Blitz with Lightning. Even then the combat doesn't REALLY open up until you get to chapter 10(?) when the game finally lets you use whatever party members you want. And if that wasn't enough, you have to play a LITTLE more to unlock all roles for every party member. Basically, when you reach Gran Pulse the game is completely open in terms of combat and level design. That's like 30 hours into the game though.
>>
>>343750325
You are just describing every fucking video game you moron. Might as well said push button on controler game go.
>>343750468
There is no extra step, in fact it takes back a step, it looks like you haven't played any final fantasy but 13. Try harder anon this is fucking pathetic.
>>
>>343750583
Bruh
>encounter monster
>stagger monster
>reduce HP to zero
>heal as needed
>win
There's your extra step.
>>
>>343750583
your complaint holds no weight dude
>>
>>343750789
And there's
>switch to Sentinel when enemy is about to use nuke
for bosses
>>
>>343727205
Honestly I think it's worth sitting through just for XIII-2 and LR.
>>
Play any FF game and it's linear. Not sure what you people whine about. Blinded by nostalgia or something.
>>
>>343750789
>Encounter monster
It's been done
>stagger monster
Game does it for you
>kill monster
Game does it for you again
>heal
Not nessesary because game wins for you
>win
How is it winning when you barley participate in the game in the first place.
>Strategy
None
Bruh, it literally makes it so the player doesn't have to do much. That's what is taken out of the game.
>>
>>343751118
How does the game do it for you? You press the button, anon. You're doing it.
>>
>>343751118

Good luck staggering without proper buffs/debuffs.
Auto combat does shit later into the game and is never a good idea to use and will not get you far except weak enemies.

Manual + repeat for convenience's sake is the only way to go.

People bitch so much about auto-combat but seem to forget that you spam auto attack on trash mobs at some point to get it over with in every single JRPG ever.
>>
>>343750923
>>343750789
Now if you play the other final fantasy game it goes like this
>step one encounter enemy
>step two choose attack on specific character 1
>step 2 choose attack type on specific character 2
>step 3 choose attack on specific character 3
>step 4 choose specific character 4 to attack or heal or defend
>step 5
Repeat 2 though 4 but different attacks or abilities depending on how the battle is going.
>step 6 use class ability or summon or nuke them with mage
>step 7
win battle
>step 8
heal if needed
>step 9
Explore for more loot to make battles easier and learn more about story.

Really bruh, you lost like 4 steps.
>>
>>343751264
Have you played it? The battle will go on with out you pushing any buttons.
>>343751297
But you don't for bosses or story battles or special monsters or summons, the game doesn't consist of trash mobs until you level high enough.
>>
>taking turns listing out the steps you take when you play an JRPG
top autism
>>
>>343751563
Really, then in 13, it goes like this
>encounter enemy
>choose ability for first ATB bar
>choose ability for second ATB bar
>choose ability for third ATB bar
>repeat three more times once ATB's are unlocked
>switch paradigm to dps paradigm when enemy is staggered
>switch to healing paradigm when healing is needed
>switch to guard paradigm when enemies are using their strong attacks
>win
>continue the story
Boom, one extra step
>>
>>343751726
Bruh, right near the beginning you get Sazh and Vanille who can only win if you use buffs and debuffs. The game literally cannot be won without using them.
>>
>>343751758
>Ignoring this facts proves that anon didn't play any other final fantasy but 13.
13 didn't even let you control other characters at once because it was too hard for the new kids to get used to.>
>343751839
>ATB all done for you
That's just one step, if you are going that route then might as well point out even further on what abilities get chosen in each attack.
Really you haven't provided any proof of an extra step since you had to use leveling from a previous battle to add an extra step.
>>343751932
Bruh those abilities are done for you. Isn't that amazing?!
>>
>>343752150
You press the button. Just like any other game.
>>
>>343752261
It auto player for you, it's like you justify being a lazy sack of shit.
>>
>>343751932

Yes you can. I present to you the most trainwreck LP of FFXIII in existence. A person, who didn't you synergist or saboteur once before returning to Cocoon and never used saboteur ever. (Okay he used a synergist at Odin, Hectoncheir and a single random encounter on Palamecia (all because the guide told him to), but each had a reason why it didn't help him at all, so he considered them useless.).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd7N7L0Db7eR_i4ixohjzpx4kfx2yqXDz

It also proves that you can win the game exclusively using auto-battle. Plus that he's disgusting.
>>
>>343752390
But you still press the button, anon. You still choose to do it. The game doesn't do anything for you because you're still actively choosing what you want to do.
>>
File: 1466159401648.jpg (7 KB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
1466159401648.jpg
7 KB, 300x294
>using auto-battle on anything but trash mobs
>ruin, attack, attack, attack
>element, element-strike, element, element-strike
>provoke when you want a guard
>one (de)buff when you can cast multiple in a single turn

It's good for healing though
>>
>>343752463
Oh my god are you seriously trying to meta your argument? You don't even play these games, you are just retard arguing for the sake of arguing.
Your logic is that final fantasy is no different from super Mario at this point.
Are you really that retarded?
>>
>>343752447
Why are you trying to promote your YouTube channel, anon?
>>
>>343752691
And are you seriously trying to say that the game literally let's you win everytime you encounter an enemy with no input from the player?
>>
>>343752447

I apologize. Meant to say use instead of you and Saboteur instead of Synergist for Hecatoncheir, but you get the point. I was a bit too excited and rushed..
>>
>>343752849

See
>>343752447
>>
>>343752776

It's not mine. Fuck that guy. It's still the anti-thesis to any defense the game can possibly have in terms of gameplay depth.
>>
>>343753125
People who are shit at video games beat them all the time. You're really putting JRPG's on a pedestal here. The honest truth is, they're all pretty much the same, and there's never much strategy involved.
>>
>>343727205
FFXIII is the game that started the 'It gets good x hours in' meme. And it's been out for over 6 years. Not our problem you can't do research on a game before you buy
>>
>make a gorgeous world
>fill it with interesting enemy designs
>make the gameplay so fucking shit nobody wants to play

Every final fantasy game ever. I'm convinced they wouldn't know what interesting gameplay is even if it smacked them in the face.
>>
File: safety.jpg (704 KB, 2200x1320) Image search: [Google]
safety.jpg
704 KB, 2200x1320
>>343727205
unless you read all the book and are super invested in the story of 13

the first game in the series will not have much of a pay off for you

its just a corridor with some plot points dotted along it

13-2 and 13-3 are much better

They kind of need you to have played 13 though

13-3 you could probably get away with starting on

But if you intend on playing them, just go for it man

You might not be super into it, but the last hour is decent and the sequels are genuinely good (Thought 13-3 is a bit silly) :)
>>
File: 1465443939430.jpg (65 KB, 470x535) Image search: [Google]
1465443939430.jpg
65 KB, 470x535
>>343752447
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. ANY FF GAME you can win by using attack only the whole time unless the fight requires something specific to win. At that point the game usually always tells you what to do anyway. It'll just take longer to kill bosses if you do that. Same with 13. Seriously think of any numbered FF game and how often you just use ATTACK on the target 4 times unless you have a magic user in the party?
>>
>>343753038
He was pressing buttons. That's player input. THIS is an example of winning by doing nothing.

https://youtu.be/Is6taKZo010
>>
>>343753220
>getting proven wrong with evidence
>time to back pedal
>>
>>343753360
What evidence? The guy was shit but he switched paradigm. He healed as needed. That's player input, which is needed to win the game.
>>
>>343753359
>proved you can use auto player to beat 13
>h-he was pressing buttons!
>doesn't realize the point was there was little to no strategy or depth in 13s battle system
>13 is a game, just a bad one.
>>
>>343753440
With little amount of effort or strategy
Sorry kids, you just got proven wrong.
>>
>>343727205
I played it for 15 hours
It was pretty boring and shit for those 15 hours
never played it since then
not even the story was interesting in the least
>>
Welp it was fun slapping you around anon but I gotta go, later tater.
>>
>>343728457
As far as I can tell OP took the game for what it was and it was objectively shit

also
>the game is worth beating
nope, it is nothing special
>>
>>343753521
>>343753595
Bruh. He used elemental attacks to his weakness, he healed when needed, he attacked when necessary. That's all the strategy you need in most Final Fantasy game. So you're saying the game is better because you have to manually input every single attack? Well you can do that in 13 too.
>>
>complain about auto
>not setting up auto yourself, throwing in magic when you need it, move canceling to keep the opponent staggered by timing your main with your party

sounds like you didn't understand the battle system, git gud.

>>343753316
part 2 even went completely against the very idea of linear but no one who bitches about the first one has played it.

>tfw /plat/ XIII and part 2
>everyone hates the game
baka.

also people saying you can beat this with just auto battle, are you honestly telling me cid is killable like that? bahamut? titan quests? how you gunna beat orphan with no death immunity?

you're actually lucky you didn't carry on the trilogy, caius would rip you a new ass.
>>
>>343753334

Well originally I was only disproving that declarative statement that Vanille/Sazh need to be played correctly. Nothing more.

The rest of it was sort of a byproduct.

That being said of the original FFs I do tend to use at least some mages, so I usually summon against a group of enemies, if there's enough of them and use spells to break any monotony. But if I only had physical attackers, if everything doesn't die in one hit, then I would use armor breaks and all-hitting physicals.

But yes they too can be beaten by attack spam. There's a part of the fanbase, that think XIII is somehow more strategic or that Stagger elevates the game. and well as a bonus there's evidence against that.

My personal problem with XIII's battle system is something entirely different. It's that you don't control the party and are quite hands off about the whole thing. I like the visceral feeling of pressing attack and a character immediately answering my command. Can it be brainless? Sure, but I always try to avoid such a thing and by proxy boredom. XIII bores me by its very nature unless a boss sometimes reduces characters' HP to the danger zone. It's just that doing a spell or an attack doesn't feel different in XIII. They're miniscule actions alone and only matter in strings of actions over time. I just can't get into that and therefore cannot approve.

I liked the sequels very much, which honestly confuses me in the case of XIII-2, since despite the quality-of-life improvements the battle system is the same, except extremely easy. Yet I could enjoy it more and I don't think Feral Links and leader switch truly count as "controlling the whole party." So don't take it as the whole story?
>>
>>343727205
>the hour

There has not been a single RPG that has been not awful for the first few hours. If you can't handle that, RPGs (especially JRPGs) aren't for you
>>
>>343745340
>I don't believe you for a fucking second that you didn't read the encyclopedia, because there was information that wasn't in the main game or story line
I only ever read a couple monster encyclopedia articles, because I wanted to see their design up close and learn tactics. It really is not that fucking hard to gather the major plot and lore points just by watching and listening. The characters babble quite a lot just when running around the world, so if you missed some of those, no wonder.

>When telling a story you have to have who what when and where and yes the why
They do. You just have to wait and receive / find it in this case.

tl;dr: you're just a lazy ADHD Amerifat, who's buttmad that the game's told in non-chronological order with flashbacks, and that you need to think instead of just passively receive.
>>
File: ff13 PC 1080p combat.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ff13 PC 1080p combat.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>343745838
>waaaat I didn't know that
it's true tho', and also makes a lot of sense.
Originally, it was meant to be quite like Tidus journey in X, waking up in a foreign, weird future world where you're treated as a weirdo and potential hostile.

>>343746064
>13 had literally no freedom in its battle system or even it's leveling up system
Negative.
You could later on choose which Paradigm classes you'd focus on first, and you could do various paradigm and party combinations. Just by switching the Leader you can have very, very different kind of combat experience. And like said, manual attack combinations are way more fun, much more powerful, and usually also faster than AB, which also doesn't allow you to use items, summons, limit breaks, etc.

Once I learned the joys of Sab + Syn and all-SEN combos, I literally raped every story-boss in the game. The final one literally dropped in a minute and a half.
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.