[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution_cover.jpg (85 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution_cover.jpg
85 KB, 250x353
What went wrong?
>>
>>343675895
you shitposting about this game, end yourself asap.

also the rushed ending and the boss battles
>>
>>343675895
The entire themes and story and the way it was told
>>
>>343675895
Shitty boss fights, horrible cover system, but both are symptoms of its time.

It managed to be a good sequel to one of the best games of all time, that's enough for me.
>>
File: 1448503004674.png (268 KB, 432x454) Image search: [Google]
1448503004674.png
268 KB, 432x454
>>343675895
idk I liked it, wasn't as good as original but it was ok.
>>
>>343675895
Too linear, too yellow.
>>
>>343678242

Pretty much this.
>>
In Deus Ex: Human Revolution:

>Hacking was too easy.
>The gunplay was too shallow
>The stealth was too dynamic and overshadowed by praxis abilities.
>>
Two missing hubs. Toronto and upper Hengsha.
>>
>>343675895
/v/ leaked it early
>>
If the director's commentary was to be believed, a set time date, and also didn't get fantastic budget since they didn't know if people would even want a deus ex game.

>>343678404
The hacking was made easy to appeal to the mass public, apparently it was more complicated originally. I guess it was successful since it's making a return with some improvements in the new one.
>>
Directors Cut edition added hundreds of bugs that they never fixed
>>
>>343675895
The boss fights weren't people you knew and had developed a relationship with, unlike Anna, Gunter, Walter Simmons, and Bob Page
The ending was fucking ridiculous, push a button to get the ending, really?
Plot threads resolved with complete flaccidity. Saving Megan was the biggest letdown ever

Still better than the first because at least the gunplay worked.
>>
>>343678242
This. The story was a little worse than DA BOMB 1, but it was still good.
>>
>>343679682

To be fair, with Hyron gone, every ending ends up with the destruction of Panchaea. Self-destruct choice is effectively pointless because it happens anyway. The only change is the final message which may even be forgotten.
>>
>>343675895
The DLC. Otherwise, fucking nothing.
>>
>>343679682
>The ending was fucking ridiculous, push a button to get the ending, really?

Are there any video games where this isn't the case?
>>
No moral ambiguity. The original had UNATCO agents discussing the philosophy behind what they're doing and how it benefits the greater good, but the dicks in HR refuse to consider their actions. You'll get the occasional glib remark about the detainees before both sides agree "we're not supposed to talk about them, orders are orders, just stop asking questions".

And the ending faced a similar problem. Ostensibly it's a question of the pros and cons of unbridled progress. In practice, it's a dick trying to gain more control for the illuminati, and that undermines the entire point. And you don't even have to have that there to undermine his point. How many laws were broken in kidnapping and experimenting on people? The case they're making is for weaker corporate control, not limitations on augmentations.

It was fun, but its story doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Also, I played the original by throwing background objects to distract guards and running away. That's how I liked my stealth, not hiding behind a wall and pushing a key to do awesome thing.

>>343680959
I think he meant how it all happened at once and there was no difference in how you got the endings. In the original, you had to either go around taking out pages defenses, disengage the safety on the reactor, or finish the work on Helios and merge with him. This was done in different places using different methods. In HR, you just get three buttons in front of you.
>>
>>343681945
Greater corporate limitations, sorry for the ambiguity.

>>343680847
Also that. Fuck Missing Link. Fuck it so hard.
>>
>>343682059
>>343680847
What was wrong with Missing Link? I remember it sticking out like a sore thumb and being frustrated with the Praxis point reset, but nothing else.

Are those everybody's issues with it?
>>
>>343675895
Not much. Hacking was pretty easy and boring. I wish they would implement the fallout hacking and make it harder.

Also the gunplay was pretty weak, but it's a stealth game so that's not terribly important.
>>
Game would've been better without boss fights.
>>
>>343678242
This

It was an ok game, if the new one gets improved it can be a great tier game
>>
Kind of agree. I thought he ending was ok but too limited. I feel like there should have been a way to limit corporate power without stalling progress. That would have ruined the moral ambiguity though.
>>
Not much.

Even Warren Spector liked it, and said that although they were going for a slightly different angle in most gameplay mechanics, it still has a feel of Deus Ex that he was making.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5acI46z9Y4#t=5m50s
>orange level

what did she mean by this
>>
Honestly, I think the truth is that its atmosphere was so good and comfy, most of us are willing to overlook its shortcomings. Which aren't that serious to begin with. Gameplay is completely servicable and stealth is satisfying enough.
>>
>>343683329
Kek.
>>
>>343682673
Missing Link is a great mission as a stand alone. It's a bit simple, you walk somewhere, then back, then back again, then finally back and it's over. But it's a fun thing to bash against for an hour or two when you just want a little fix but don't want to boot up the whole game and suffer the unskippable intro.

That said, the way it's implemented in the director's cut of the game is atrocious. You even receive the cutscene reminding you of what you just did at the beginning of it.
>>
>>343683654
Director's cut ML was ez because you retained all your sick upgrades at the start. I agree, it worked better as stand-alone.
>>
>>343683783
>Director's cut ML was ez because you retained all your sick upgrades at the start.

Nah senpai. Your upgrades are reset until the very end. Unless you meant your upgraded weapons.
>>
>>343675895
Poor XP balance, removal instead of improvement of melee, largely "stealth left, attack right" level design, shit bosses, noticeable decline in quality toward the end.
>>
>>343675895

Achievements.

I don't know why I gave a shit about them, but doing a run without getting spotted once caused me major frustration.
>>
>>343684248
Where did you get frustrated at?
>>
File: protocol 420.jpg (60 KB, 871x305) Image search: [Google]
protocol 420.jpg
60 KB, 871x305
Got this picture out of it though.
>>
shit protagonist
shit supporting cast
shit antagonists
piss-yellow filter
shit cover system
shit hacking
too much stealth, not enough RPG
>>
>>343675895
It wasn't bad at all but its DLC was shit. High point of the game for me was you finally got to hit ur boss if u rescued him near the end and nut that twat psychologist.
>>
File: 1466618982316.png (496 KB, 638x397) Image search: [Google]
1466618982316.png
496 KB, 638x397
>>343675895
nothing, fuck off

>>>/trash/
>>
>>343684673
>too much stealth, not enough RPG
I kind of agree with everything else, besides teenage maximalism, but what the fuck is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>343683916
Your weapons are also in the crate at the end, it works as normal ML, just the implementation with the cutscene retained is a bit lazy.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.