[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone hate cheats and bots so much? It's harmless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: south-park-wow.jpg (118 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
south-park-wow.jpg
118 KB, 450x253
Why does everyone hate cheats and bots so much?

It's harmless fun
>>
>bans my questing bot account with no warning
>puts WoD on sale the next day

ha ha nice try blizzard : ^)

>stopped playing entirely
>>
File: Arenanet logo.jpg (10 KB, 250x107) Image search: [Google]
Arenanet logo.jpg
10 KB, 250x107
>>343659246
>Make mmorpg
>Mmorpg's need lots of players to be successful
>Bans most of the players after short time
Fast forward to 2016 their mmorpg is dead because they banned to many players.
>B-but we don't need those cheaters!
Mmorpg developers are stupid
>>
>>343660161
this desu
>>
>>343659246
Kills economy. Cheats and bots are just a slow form of duping. You wouldn't want sanctioned duping in your MMO because then at that point its no different from a private server
>>
>>343659246
not seeing why cheating is a problem seems childish, but I'll bite

imagine playing chess with THAT kid. he keeps coming up with his own rules all the time to make him win. you have no chance and it just becomes boring - no point in trying, and he will probably try to taunt you for losing even if you are just one step behind him, him winning only because he says shit like "well of course I can move my knight from H7 to A1, as I have exactly 5 pawns"

it may be fun for him, but for the opponent it's just mindless.

if both parties are in on it, then sure, have a go with cheating, but otherwise it's just broken when somebody wanting to experience the game in a regular way gets steamrolled by a cheater.

I personally don't mind cheaters that much, as they are often careless and/or scrubs, so I try to beat them "clean" and feel good about myself, although I usually don't succeed.

bots I don't mind at all, as they are usually harmless or easy prey, but I can see it being a nuisance in games with limited resources, when bots just mine away everything and you're left with dickshit.

in general - public servers, competitive play and stuff like that should not have bots. single player, dicking around, private games with friends and so on - go ahead, in many cases it can be more fun than regular play.
>>
>>343661051
Not all bots affect the economy if the actions are self contained. It's just a way of automating the mundane for a lot of actions, and banning them is blizzard admitting there's a fundamental game problem if no ones having fun with something. The further act of banning for it is their way of saying "and we're not fixing it so fuck you"
>>
>>343660161
What happened? They banned half the playerbase? Can you elaborate? I dropped GW2 like a few weeks after launch but I love hearing about the drama.
>>
>>343659527
>>stopped playing entirely

No, no you didn't. You still enter WoW threads because you're addicted and you definitely have played since then.

Like an abused little child.
>>
>>343662220
>It's just a way of automating the mundane for a lot of actions

Which effects the economy. Some would say farming mats in the world is mundane, but that doesn't mean it's okay to automate it.

>if no ones having fun with something.
That implies that automation only comes from a lack of fun and not a desire to get ahead in the game without playing.
>>
>>343662678
Nice projecting.
>>
File: ytyzvh4lvpxpj2lia8jz.jpg (28 KB, 636x390) Image search: [Google]
ytyzvh4lvpxpj2lia8jz.jpg
28 KB, 636x390
>>343659246
>disobeying the rules
>harmless fun
>>
>>343662680
>Which effects the economy.

Please explain how automating questing affects the economy any differently than manually leveling.

>and not a desire to get ahead in the game without playing.

intrinsic assumptions are still assumptions. bottom line is people resorted to automation because something wasn't fulfilling about the game.
>>
>>343659246
>singleplayer
Go ahead and do what you want
>multiplayer
>if the game has grind you get way ahead by doing nothing
>bot joins to party and doesn't do jack shit being a dead weight
>still gets rewards
If you play singleplayer go ahead and do whatever the fuck you want, if its multiplayer get remt because you are suppossed to play the game like everyone else, not get bored and go afk.
>>
>>343663140
>i don't like this game
>i'll automate everything and not play it then act like I was completely justified in doing so

I can't reconcile this.
>>
File: scorpione.png (183 KB, 865x605) Image search: [Google]
scorpione.png
183 KB, 865x605
meep meep
>>
>>343659527
Same here. Didn't even use the bot more than maybe for an hour a week yet still got hit by a 6 month ban.
>>
>>343663342
Let me give you the answer, since you're clearly retarded:

It incentivizes alt leveling at a rate higher than manual can, because it can be accomplished afk, and generates income from rewards that can inflate the economy.

The tradeoff is these players will use their max level characters to contribute to said economy in terms of both inflow and outflow, and participate in the community with more ability to do so.

Still, that economy inflation thing is a bit risky, and Blizzard doesn't want to be assed with the value proposition of funneling a fresh character into the community in a healthy way vs. the potential immediate harm the quest rewards can do to the economy (which is a tuning issue, not a player issue).

So they just say fuck it, and ruin the chance of shortening your queue or adding a highly capable player to the community (which most botters are) that will end up giving more back to it than it "exploited" out of it.

This carpetbomb approach is fine if youre small dev without the means to monitor your own economy. Blizzard has no excuse other than to admit being pathetic at what they do.
>>
>>343664575
>(which most botters are) that will end up giving more back to it than it "exploited" out of it.

top kek
>>
>>343664967
If you're dedicated enough to bot you're dedicated enough to play the game extensively. This isn't a hard concept to understand, even for a mongoloid.
>>
>>343665249
just play your games brah lol kek
>>
>>343665249
>If you're dedicated enough to bot you're dedicated enough to play the game extensively.

That kind of idiocy deserves a gold medal. It'd be like saying, "If you're dedicated enough to pirate a game you're dedicated enough to support the developers." That's how stupid your argument sounds.
>>
>>343664575
No, I think you are the retarded one.
>>
>>343663342
>pay for my game and play it in the mind-numbingly boring way I tell you to or I will take away your right to play it without giving you back your money!
>>
>>343666380
>Obey the terms that you agreed to when you signed up to play our game and we won't need to enforce those terms using a punishment outlined in those terms

>or I will take away your right to play it without giving you back your money!
What kind of entitled fucking manbaby are you
>Wahhhh these developers make me do THINGS!
>>
>>343666778
it's just the same kind of asspulled hyperbole like you used in the post I quoted
>>
>>343667029
Oh sorry that's what normal botters usually sound like
>>
>>343666380
There is a ToS you dumbass, the moment you press I agree you play by their rules.
>>
If you use cheats in any multiplayer game, I will find you and personally stab you to death. You faggot teenagers have no regard for other peoples' enjoyment of the game they bought.
>>
>>343662517
Do you not remember?

The dumbasses left a vendor in the game where you could buy some sort of gear for basically free and then exchange it for free money, creating infinite money at launch.

Naturally word got out and people started to do this on massive scale. Anet shit the bed and banned anybody who bought the nearly free item at all in the first few days.
>>
>>343659246
Shitting in front of your front door is also harmless fun.
>>
File: cs.jpg (50 KB, 204x363) Image search: [Google]
cs.jpg
50 KB, 204x363
>>343659246
Ice cream? I love ice cream!
>>
It's called cheating for a reason you fucking child.
>>
>2007
>set up bot in darkshore for my Rogue
>watch it kill a mob and leave house for 12 hours
>excited about seeing how much it leveled, expect at least 4 or 5 levels and a maxed mining
>turns out it spent 9 hours walking into a tree

I felt pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>343668187
kek
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.