[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the Platinum Games' meme popularity began? Everytime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10
File: maxresdefault.jpg (172 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
172 KB, 1280x720
When did the Platinum Games' meme popularity began?
Everytime you see a "What would you like to see in a X sequel" kind of threads there's always the epic memer going "Combat by Platinum Games! XD" and I don't even think they are being ironic.
When did this mediocre company become so popular with their niche ass games? Why is it so overrated by normalfags? It sure as hell wasn't thanks to Bayonetta or Vanquish.
>>
>>343650037

It begun when Bayonetta and its sequel were really fucking good.
>>
>>343650037
it was about bayonetta or vanquish that did it
MGR helped
platinum is just really good at fast paced fluid action
>>
Didn't they Okami and Viewtiful Joe under Capcom?
>>
>>343650037
They made games for the PS3 and became popular among the Sony fanbase. They were worshipped by NeoGAF for quite awhile. Then they started jumping ship to Nintendo, before jumping ship to Microsoft. Fans started quieting down, but the most vocal fans continued.

Personally, by the time they released The Legend of Korra, I had given up all hope.
>>
Can you name any other company making balls out fast paced action games? I can't, it's an endangered genre and Platinum keeps the torch lit.
>>
>>343650419
that was clover (a technically different team)
i believe a lot of them was the same crew but not entirely the same
>>
>>343650479
You really need to work on your shitpost.

>>343650240
Definitely this. I think shit like "rules of nature" definitely threw them over the edge in popularity.
>>
>>343650518
Capcom
CDProjekt Red
Marvelous
>>
>meme popularity

Probably right after their first game being one of the best action games ever made.

>>343650479
>They made games for the PS3 and became popular among the Sony fanbase.

?
>>
>>343650037
if Automata is good, think we can basically chalk it up to "Activision is awful, Nintendo is awful with 3rd parties" as usual.

But we'll see.
>>
>>343650479
Nier Automota fills me with hope. Scalebound however is a coin toss.

Is Scalebound being made by the A team? That xbone frame rate would have me worried. And that boss fight at E3...
>>
>>343650943
>Nintendo is awful with 3rd parties

Bayonetta 2 & W101 are bad games now?
>>
>>343650240
>>343650479
>>343650758
Wasn't Bayonetta a flop?
And no one ever remembers their other games other than MGR, but suddenly every new title HAS to be made by them.
>>
>>343651003
>Nintendo is awful with 3rd parties
is the same as
>Nintendo's 3rd party games are awful
>>
I think they've been making the same game for a few years now. Scalebound at least looks to not follow their formula exactly but it also looks shit.
>>
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance obviously.

It's a fairly shallow game compared to the other Hack and Slash games, but it's mechanically very satisfying to play. Far better than God of War but nowhere near Ninja Gaiden.

Pretty sure it's also the best selling Platinum game since it was under one of the most established franchises.
>>
>>343650758
Vanquish was being praised up and down on /v/, while the rest of the world didn't know it even existed.
>>
>>343650758
i don't think Madworld was that popular for being an action game
i think people just dig the graphics style and humor

>>343651029
>suddenly
nigga that was 2 years ago, and that kind of died. now people just expect Activision titles to be made by them
and amazingly they fucked up 2 of the 3 they made
>>
Weren't the "Kill la Kill game by Platinum when???" so annoying that Platinum had to do a public statement saying "no, we aren't doing a KLK game, stop with that please"?
>>
>>343650682
Oh, is Capcom making a new DMC now? Nope.
CDProject, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>343650682
>CDProjekt Red
Dude, Witcher 3 is a great Adventure game but its combat is a joke.
>>
>>343651258
The Witcher games have fast-paced sword combat, especially 3.
>>
>>343651029
its called niche
the people who like their games, while small, fucking love their games
they have a very unique style thats easy to enjoy

plus everyone knows those activision games are just shit they do on their off time while they are making bigger games they actually want to make and care about
>>
>>343650037
Because their games are usually fun as fuck.
Vanquish, Bayonetta, Metal gear rising, Transformers,... are all really fun games.
>>
>>343651372
Its not bad at all.
Its not great, but it does its job and can be pretty fun.
>>
File: 6.jpg (15 KB, 231x204) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
15 KB, 231x204
I don't know why people banana ride a dev so hard when they are some of the worst offenders when it comes to QTEs.
>mfw someone defended platinum's use of QTEs
>>
Is Platinum doing well financially? How many of their games have turned a profit? And how many publishers have they gone through?

I don't think Nintendo will want to work with them again, or Activision and if Scalebound flops, no more MS. So they may slowly run out of publishers to make games for.
>>
I don't even know why you are asking this here, /v/ loves to drink from Platinum's koolaid.
>>
>>343651515

Yet Kora and Turtles are dog shit
>>
>>343651940
>or Activision
Why would activision drop them? They've had them make 3 games already.
>>
>>343651684
Because the actual game play parts are goooood.
>>
>>343652146
And the QTEs are so baaaaad.
>>
File: try university of texas.png (96 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
try university of texas.png
96 KB, 300x300
Whatever happened to the CUHRAZY threads on /vg/?
>>
Former Plat fanboy here.

Platinum havent made a good game since Bayo 2 and they have had 4 games come out in that time.
>Korra
>Transformers
>Starfox
>TMNT

all pretty bad, certainly not up to the standard of Bayo. And even then, pre Bayo 2 there has been some rough eggs as well. Mad World is kinda wonky, Vanquish and MGR are short with little replay value, Anarchy Reigns had buckets of issues.

I dont know why anyone these days defend Platinum. Anarchy Reigns is my favorite platinum game
>>
>>343652127
Well I guess it depends on how well Transformers and Turtles sold, but I hear Turtles was shit as fuck.
>>
>>343651684
They stopped those horrible QTEs after Bayonetta 1
>>
>>343652342
All their games have them, it didn't stop with bayonetta.
>>
Square enix is better
>>
>>343652279
Star Fox and Transformers are great though
They still don't have that superawesome "platinum" vibe, but definitely good games.

And besides, comparing licensed games to full games? That's like saying Wayforward is shit because 75% of their games are shit, just ignore games like Korra
>>
File: 1393382125300.png (30 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1393382125300.png
30 KB, 700x700
Lets see, Revengeance's release in 2013 (or 2014 if you're a PC-only pleb) and it's crazy good combat/soundtrack, combined with the release of Kill la Kill and it's proclamation that it's gonna save anime with its over the top action and crazy good fight scenes/ost, led to the obvious that the two would be paired together.

Symphogear would make a better Platinum game than Kill la Kill anyways, but /v/ is too casual to know any anime that doesn't air on Toonami
>>
People love them because they're a meme dev. They make one style of game and they can do it very well, even though they haven't in a while. Not to mention the hot memes people like to spam as seen in >>343652561's pic.
>>
>>343652279
Oh yeah they did make fucking Starfox didn't they?

Well I still think they have the potential to be ne of the greats, they just need to buck up and stop taking cheap deals like Starfox and TMNT.

There is a sizable niche for curhazy action games, and that niche is growing with people's distaste for current industry film wanking.

Platinum just needs to make a game that is properly marketed to that niche.

From managed it and they now have a solid following, and I'd wager the Souls games are actually a harder sell than the stuff Platinum produces.
>>
>>343650037
MGR solidified the meme
>>
File: smirking traffic guy.png (62 KB, 227x221) Image search: [Google]
smirking traffic guy.png
62 KB, 227x221
>make main character attack really fast
>make cool cinematic QTEs
>everyone likes the game
>some other company does the same exact thing
>everyone hates it
>>
I get Platinums appeal. But I've never been into them personally. That style just doesn't tickle my fancy. I'm more of a slower paced guy anyway. Over the top action just sorta feels meh to me.
I think Madworld was the one game of theirs I was into.
>>
LE MEMES JACK
I'M FRICKING ENVENCIBLE

That's why. /v/ already loved to suck Kojimbo's dick, when le churazay developers touched MGS it went into fucking chaos.
>>
>>343653181
MGR and MGS are 2 insanely different fanbases
>>
>>343652279
You could definitely make an argument for those falling victim to publisher circumstances - dealing with Miyamito's backwards ass for Star Fox and demand for fast turnaround with Activision.
>>
File: 1393132022937.png (13 KB, 114x151) Image search: [Google]
1393132022937.png
13 KB, 114x151
>play a platinum game
>huge as fuck boss shows up
>>
>>343652897
>>343652279
Nobody but Nintendo can take blame for Starfox.
>>
>>343650037
>mediocre company
ITT: WAAAAAAAHHHHH MUH PERSONAL OPINION
great board
>>
>>343650479
Legend of Korra was a pretty good game as far as tie in games go.
>>
Some Jap dev needs to snap them up and give them direction. I don't like all this fucking freelance bullshit they do. They're just whoring themselves out at this point to everyone and I think it's hurting their quality.
>>
>>343653403
What other opinion should I state? Yours?
Are you fucking 12 and think you have to spew /v/'s hivemind shit to fit in?
Grow up.
>>
>>343653259
>Still blaming Miyamoto.
Please stop posting in this thread

>>343653343
I'm not giving Nintendo credit for that great game, they probably would've made it easier and have less challenges.
>>
>>343653404
No it wasn't. It wasn't even a tie in game since it wasn't tying into anything, it was an original story for the game.
>>
>>343653428
According to a few interviews they're doing it to fund their original IPs, and it sounds like they've grown enough that they can afford the extra staff/resources to have a B-team working on tie-ins while the A-team does the heavy lifting.
>>
>>343653428
>I don't like all this fucking freelance bullshit they do. They're just whoring themselves out at this point to everyone and I think it's hurting their quality.

That's literally what they want. That's why they advertise themselves as action game devs.
>>
>>343653823
they're doing a pretty bad job of it
>korra was shit
>TMNT wasn't as shit but still shit
>scalebound looks shit
At least transformers was decent and nier doesn't look as bad as scalebound, even if formulaic.
>>
I liked Transformers Devastation, but I am an 80s kid and the art style/original voice actors really appealed to me.
>>
>>343650037
>amazing art aesthetic
>fucking WASTED on some shitty fighting game

Why couldn't we have War for Cybertron 80s Edition?
>>
>>343654080
The highmoon games were better.
>>
>>343654080
Transformers isn't as hated as the other 2 Activision games.
It has Bayonetta combat, some balling music. I think it was only really lacking in some good transformers lore.
>>
>>343653606
Even if my opinion were to match yours, what you are doing is claiming your own as law and acting baffled when people have differing viewpoints. Anyone with any amount of self-awareness knows how pointless that is.

It's fine to have an opinion and to state it when it is warranted, but making threads about declaring something that is inherently subjective to be objective is ridiculous and I don't know what you hope to gain from it.
>>
>>343653750
Miyamito clearly has a strong opinion on the direction he wants to take Nintendo's IPs that runs at odds with popular opinion, and there are developer interviews that outright state Nintendo looked at Zero as a showcase for the Wii U tablet first and a Star Fox game second. The Paper Mario interviews have been posted here so much that I refuse to believe you don't know there's at least precedent for this kind of decision making even if you'd never heard this specific detail before.
>>
>>343650037

Probably because all the games they make that aren't published by Activision are fucking good

Well, mileage may vary with Madworld and Anarchy Reigns
>>
>>343650682
>CDProjekt Red

u wot
>>
>>343654328
Well good thing Star Fox Zero made perfect use of the gamepad, something barely any WiiU game has done before, and outside of the obviously small budget, that game was fantastic.

I don't know why you brought up Paper Mario in a platinum thread. Miyamoto is obviously to blame for those games.
>>
>>343654216
>repetitive shooting
>better
>>
Didn't it all start with Metal Gear Rising PC release? I remember Bayonetta and Vanquish used to have a decent fanbase but it wasn't until MGR got meme'd that Platinum Games suddenly become a meme.
>>
>>343654559
>repetitive punching
>better
>>
>>343651232

Other way around, Rising's director made a statement that he'd like to make a Kill la Kill game.
>>
>>343654523
>perfect use
>>
>>343654065
Shitty job but still got paid.
>>
>>343654292
>>343653606
Put it this way:
>reasonable person expressing his opinion
I really don't see the appeal of this particular game/series/company; they never meshed with me because x and y. Yet people really seem to like it; can someone explain what I'm missing?

>"muh personal opinion" shitposting (e.g. this thread)
Game/Series/Company is objectively bad (not giving any reason though lol, I'm assuming you know that my own sentiment is infallible) and everyone that likes them is a pleb casual. The fuck is wrong with you faggots?

One may actually get results and worthwhile conversation, the other will achieve nothing but pointless bickering and shitting up the board.
>>
Platinum did little to no design work on Star Fox, just helped with the grunt stuff

Every other bad Platinum game is because it's Activison published with zero fucking budget
>>
>>343654559
Don't shitpost man. Fall did a great job with a cover system and variety in transformers ability. They also did a great job with characters and plot. War for Cybertron is only good for co-op though, stinks Fall removed it, but Fall is actually at least a good game.

>>343654568
No, it definitely started before the PC release. The memes are probably the reason why MGR was even popular on PC.

>>343654791
Yes, Star Fox Zero is probably the new standard for Star Fox in controls, i can only imagine VR with head-controls to be an improvement.
>>
>>343652113
Name a company with more than 5 games that hasn't put out shit.
>>
>>343654920
>Fall did a great job with a cover system
What cover system?
>>
>>343650037
It was before Platinum starting churning out loads of awful games. After Korra, Transformers, TMNT, and Star Fox, people have finally started to realize how shallow and bland Platinum games actually are.
>>
>>343655045
It's not like Gears of War where you press a button to take cover, but you get to switch where your gun is (left arm or right arm) and your arms are pretty far extended away from you, so you would use these to hide behind something and still shoot the enemies.
>>
>>343650037
Wait, do people hate the Transformer game? I thought it was a nice action game.
>>
>>343655295
I know people hate Korra and TMNT, I don't think people hate Transformers.

Except maybe for how short it is and you don't get to play the Decepticons
>>
>>343651386
lmao no they don't
>>
>>343655387

Korra was fine for $15

Great battle system unfortunately trapped in a game that has like five enemy types
>>
>>343650037
>It sure as hell wasn't thanks to Bayonetta or Vanquish.
you answered your own question, you were just retarded and didn't know it because you thoughts the opposite for some reason
>>
>>343655556
I personally didn't hate it, I just didn't care much for it.
But when you go in plat threads, you see that it gets shit on the most.
>>
>>343654523
>talking about Nintendo game
>refuting claims of Miyamito having no place in the conversation
>mentioning precedent for Miyamito fucking with core design elements of same company's games
>don't understand why it's mentioned

There's shitposting and there's stupidity.
>>
>>343656047
We're talking about Star Fox Zero though and how it's great outside it's lack of content and poor music.
I'm not giving Miyamoto credit for that, because anyone who played the game can tell Platinum put their flavors of challenges in with the medals.

Miyamoto can take all the blame for Paper Mario all he wants, and I hope he does so he can stop ruining it. But this has nothing to do with Platinum making a great non-Character Action Game.
>>
File: 1424892595532.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1424892595532.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>343651258
>Oh, is Capcom making a new DMC now? Nope.
Well, actually...
>>
/v/ has had a boner for Platinum since the Clover Studio days.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-23+at+08.02.47).jpg (150 KB, 449x625) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-23+at+08.02.47).jpg
150 KB, 449x625
I don/'t understand the purpose of this thread.
>>
>>343656450
Yes, but they didn't reach "meme" popularity until much later.
>>
>>343650965
Kamiya is the only A team since Mikami left, so yea.

/v/ is gonna gush all over automata because it has the same director as MGR which was /v/s favorite platinum game despite W101, a much better game in every aspect, launching the same year as well
>>
>>343651029
Bayonetta sold over 1.5 million if not 2 million, plus most of the cutscenes aren't even animated, so they made money with it no doubt.
>>
>>343656927
Different styles man.
I loved W101 because I love colorful sentai teams, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. They're both very cool games, just different kind of cool.
>>
>>343652471
>All their games have them, it didn't stop with bayonetta.
This. MGR has a few instant-death QTEs that fucks up your no-death runs.
>>
File: 6XfIDhN.jpg (24 KB, 567x341) Image search: [Google]
6XfIDhN.jpg
24 KB, 567x341
>developer makes good games and excels at the genre they usually do
>wonder why people want games from them
???
>>
>>343657667
Ok, maybe I'm wrong. But I don't remember any in Bayonetta 2 or W101, they had "MASH A BUTTON" moments but I don't remember QTEs.
>>
>>343656314
>anyone who played the game
I played the game, and even after getting acclimated to the controls I can tell they're shit thrown in that unnecessarily complicates an elegant, functional control scheme. I played 64 to death because I love arcadey rail shooters with simple, intuitive controls that stress reflex over complexity and legitimate branching paths that give my decisions weight. Zero not only doesn't represent this but strays the furthest from it in the entire series.
>>
>>343656927

As a Drakengard/Nier fan I am not looking forward to the shitposting that having Platinum involved will bring

It'll be nice to have competent combat though
>>
>>343658121
Can you be a little specific? And if you love games that stress reflex, you'd probably hate Star Fox 64 then, you'd be more interested in Sin & Punishment
>>
>>343658007

W101 definitely has QTEs, they just mostly involve drawing

I like them in that game though
>>
>>343658298
Oh ya, you're right.
The only thing is I'm not sure if those count as "Quick" time events, they definitely gave you plenty of time to make those drawings.
>>
>>343658445

You're taking things way too literal, m8
>>
>>343658598
You're right, I apologize.
Did Bayonetta 2 or Transformers have any QTEs? They definitely don't have drawings, and I don't remember any. But I'm willing to admit I purposely dont remember things like QTEs cause I hate them.
>>
Them being hired to save Metal Gear Rising from the trash and making it great in under a year made platinum games into kinda a miracle worker for things that should have crazy combat. They have a really good record in terms of that, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Vanquished, ect. Problem is they started getting hired to do these licensed games along side their major releases and they clearly just split a B-team (a real B-team, not the /v/ meme term B-team) to handle this shit.
>>
>>343650037
Their games were really fucking good and people loved them for that, you fucking sperglord.
>>
>>343650037
Autists love mashing square to win
>>
>>343658760
Transformers has 1 QTE I think, after you win the final battle
>>
File: 1448898840446.jpg (56 KB, 447x604) Image search: [Google]
1448898840446.jpg
56 KB, 447x604
>>343657938
People get super fucking pissed about Platinum Games and their cult popularity for some reason. It's pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>343659095

Hey hey hey hey hey now

Bayo isn't about mashing square to win

It's about mashing PKP to win
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.