[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is better for vidya? >inb4 10 I never had such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: windows.jpg (6 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
windows.jpg
6 KB, 299x168
Which one is better for vidya?

>inb4 10

I never had such a glitchy, piece of fucking dog shit system
>>
>>343631567

7 is only being supported in favor of those not using 8.1
8 is being dropped like Vista
10 is for people only from 8 and Vista
XP is under government contracts and cannot ever drop support fully until the governments using it decide to upgrade.

8.1 is going to be the next great when 7 loses extended support as no one will be willing to upgrade to 10 and 8.1 is the closest to 7 you'll get with better backend.
>>
>>343631567
7 works with more games.
>>343631747
7, 8, and 8.1 are all losing extended support in 2020.
>>
>>343631852
So they decided to change their shit mid way, before windows 10 the extended support on 7 and 8.1 was 2025.

Are they also planning on going with their plan of getting rid of all other windows and making windows 10 just Windows and doing monthly sub?
>>
7 is a meme OS now. There is nothing worrying with Windows 8.1 and the performance you get on 8.1 is better.

>but the tiles

Shut up cuck, it's not that bad.
>>
>>343631567
>>
8.1 user here, I never got to use 7. are there any advantages at all to using 7? I know some older games work better on 7 but that is about it.

Oh and for the record OP 8.1 is fine. be sure to grab start8 if you use it.
>>
GNU/Linux
>>
>>343632223
It's shit but you can make it go away
>>
>>343631567
Goy you don't want to miss all the Windows® 10™ exclusives, do you?
>>
>>343631982
>2020
Its actually worse than that as they've said they will stop updating older versions of Windows with support for new hardware in late 2017/early 2018.

So far they haven't advanced their subscription fee for 10 in general, but the end game for their merger of 10 and the Xbox is almost certainly requiring a Live subscription for certain gaming related features.
>>
>>343633075
Mother of god. Welp I guess it's time to relearn what I can about Linux and switch back into one of them.
>>
>>343631852
>7 works with more games.
But 10 and 8.1 support everything that 7 does.
>>
>>343632663
This desu.
>>
>>343633434
Its a good time to make that switch, support for games and gaming on GNU/Linux is better than its ever been in the past.
>>
>>343634028
Any distros you would recommend besides ubuntu?
>>
File: 1460856339635.png (2 KB, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
1460856339635.png
2 KB, 96x96
>>343634106
Xubuntu
>>
>>343631567
>>
>>343634106
The various spins of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu offer different user experiences with the same level of official support from games and hardware vendors.

Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate are what I'd generally recommend to new users from Windows. I like Ubuntu Gnome myself, but its a very different from the Windows interface and takes some getting used to concepts that may be alien to Windows users like context switching and multi desktops.
>>
>>343634643
Sounds great, considering from what I used to hear about Linux in general.
>>
There's nothing wrong with 10, it's time to make the jump.
>>
>>343634028
>Its a good time to make that switch

Unless you actually play videogames.
>>
>>343635231
Constant read and write cycles are being applied in windows 10 what this means is if you are on an SSD it will only last half it's lifespan.

Not being able to control updates also is the most dangerous thing. No one is old enough to remember here it seems why manual updating is so god damn important. Microsoft has fucked up greatly in the past and people expect them to not fuck up now is astoundingly retarded.
>>
I wish I knew what the fuck it is about windows that fucks up older games, something about the live.dll or some shit - so god damn annoying. Games you can run on a toaster crash on a good rig because of this faggot OS.
>>
>>343635231

I'll jump when they fix whatever they broke with the start menu search, turn off automatic updates, and get rid of of those stupid retard proof settings panels.
>>
>>343635525
upgraded and fresh installs are missing DX DLL files. You actually have to go to the microsoft site and download the redistrubution 2008-2011 packs for dx9-11
>>
>>343635426
Please don't perpetuate outdated memes.

Depending on the type of games you like to play and how you tend to play them Linux is now a good alternative.

>I always pre-order every new AAA game with all the DLC!
Linux for gaming probably isn't for you.

>I play only the best games and I focus on a few titles for months or even years
You'll probably find plenty of games to play especially if you're a fan of strategy games, or classic arena shooters.
>>
>>343635610
> turn off automatic updates
Never going to happen, that's the whole point of 10, to make it impossible for another Windows 8/Vista/Me fiasco to happen. You're going to get the latest Windows now whether you like it or not. All so they can more efficiently add advertising and data mining to the OS and ensure that it will be present on the systems of the maximum number of users possible as soon as possible.
>>
Haven't had any real problems with 8.1 and 10 thus far.
Dare I say that I really like them?
Most stable couple of OSs I've ever had, I don't get the hate beyond "everything but muh Linux is a botnet" paranoia.
>>
>>343636408

Not him, but I rather not limit myself.
Sure Linux got more games right now compare to the past, doesn't meant it will got ALL games in the future.
>>
>>343637102
>doesn't meant it will got ALL games in the future
No platform does.
>>
>>343637276

Still, windows got most of all the games compare to Linux.
I can't play Overwatch on Linux or Windows XP.

Dunno if emulation exist, but I doubt it will run perfectly.
>>
>>343635231
>post clearly states I already have 10 and hate it
>hurr make da jump make da jump xD

the only jump you should make is from the bridge
>>
>>343637474
Sure, my point is that you're always limiting yourself if you only game on one platform. More on some, less on others.
The amount and variety of games I get on Linux is more than fine for me and having an OS that doesn't constantly get in my way is a higher priority to me anyway.
>>
Definitely 10. RAM usage is better than even 7, much more detailed resource monitoring and in general works perfectly fine.7 is outdated as hell and 8 is just unusable garbage.
>>
People who complain about Windows 10 are "that guy" who doesn't know shit about technology and needs to get a relative to get his shit fixed.
>>
File: 1448985257889.gif (1013 KB, 352x348) Image search: [Google]
1448985257889.gif
1013 KB, 352x348
I am going to use 7 until it's finally put to rest. After that I will consider if I still want to PC game, and if I do I will probably do so with some Linux variation and use Wine. I will never ever upgrade to Windows 10.
>>
8.1 is fine
>>
>>343637642
> limiting yourself if you only game on one platform.

I never stated anything about limiting my gaming platform on other machines, only OSes.
When I said that windows got all the games, I was comparing it with Linux since its in the topic discussion.
>>
>>343637562
Did I quote you?
It was a general statement.
>>
>>343637474
Blizzard intentionally dropped support for platforms other than Windows with Overwatch, and Windows probably only got it because it was easy for them to support it because of the Xbox.

There is a compatibility layer for Linux that allows you to run older Windows software that functions much the way Windows own compatibility layer for supporting older software does. At the moment though its limited to DX9 and you'll only get performance equivalent to Windows if you have an AMD card running the open source drivers.

The only way going forward that you won't be 'limiting yourself' is to buy into the Windows 10 platform and all the restrictions that can potentially bring as Microsoft pushes devs towards DX12, UWP, and the Windows Store.
>>

>B-BUT MY PRIVACY! A BLOO BLOO BLOO
You mean that thing you already have none of if you're online unless you're using Linux with a Tor network?
>>
I'm so glad I didn't switch to 10. I've heard of quite a few games that don't play nice with it. If I only played AAA shitfests I'd be fine with 10, but I don't.
>>
>>343637950
That makes any argument about limiting your choice of games mostly moot. The amount of games completely exclusive to windows that won't run on Wine is really fucking low.
>>
>>343638075
No problems on my side, and I play a lot of old games, indie, emulators and hentai games.
>>
>>343638034
One dollar ($1) has been added to your Microsoft™ Acount.
>>
File: 1329811855854.png (9 KB, 401x391) Image search: [Google]
1329811855854.png
9 KB, 401x391
>>343637816
what the fuck am I reading
>>
>>343638236
guess my luck is pretty shit then
>>
>>343638004
>The only way going forward that you won't be 'limiting yourself' is to buy into the Windows 10

I dont own Windows10, just like when Xp to 7 transition happen.
Most of my current software for working is still not fully compatible with 10.

>>343638150
>That makes any argument about limiting your choice of games mostly moot
No, its not.
The discussion is about gaming on Linux OS or Windows OS.
I prefer gaming on PC, what is the best current OS for gaming on PC? Windows or Linux?

>Wine
Do you think I don't test it?
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17145
>>
Are there any games worth playing on W10 to even switch?

As it stands unless they straight up put Halo MMC collection on W10 I don't see a point
>>
File: windows.jpg (50 KB, 768x324) Image search: [Google]
windows.jpg
50 KB, 768x324
>>343631852
>7, 8, and 8.1 are all losing extended support in 2020.

Why the fuck you lying?
>>
>>343638004
>Microsoft pushes devs towards DX12
Oh yes, I remember how DX10 came out and everyone immediatly dropped 9.
Oh wait, that is the exact fucking opposite of what happened in real life.
>>
>>343632663
>>>/g/
>>
File: 1389974961240.jpg (56 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1389974961240.jpg
56 KB, 300x300
Shut up you retard. I am very happy with 7, everything I want to run runs fine, the UI is barebones with every single superfluous feature turned off, the only services and processes running are the essential ones needed for the system to work and I am never bothered with any retarded updates as I have everything turned off.

If you think I'm about to switch to 10 to get half my user possibilites removed and quadruple the process count and stop whatever I'm doing every 24 hours because papa microsoft needs to install new spyware you're out of your mind.
>>
>>343631567
7 is

Downgraded and with updates turned off
>>
>>343638745
Isn't there a pretty high chance of that considering Halo 6 is coming out on PC
>>
Windows 10 is the best OS we've ever released so I urge you to upgrade asap!
>>
>>343631567
windows 10
>>
>>343638875
>things that never happen
>>
>>343638807
The difference here is that XP and Windows 7 both used traditional Windows executable files and the Xbox 360 only supported up to DX9 which kept game devs targeting the older standard for much longer.

With Windows 10 Microsoft has introduced a new format for applications called UWP which requires the devs using it to target DX12 and UWP apps can be more efficiently shared with the Xbox. Microsoft is pushing forward to their vision of a more locked down console style experience on the PC, and there's no sign of them stopping that or reversing direction.
>>
>>343638807
>>343638004
A scenario like DX10's lack of support is not likely to happen.

Back then, Windows 7 AND DirectX10 were brand new. Few people see reason to drop a hundred-plus dollars (or pirate) to upgrade their OS. DirectX10 cards were barely out and expensive, so that further required you to buy something pretty expensive that is unproven.

Now, many current cards are already proofing themselves for DX12 (still not good enough, anyone sensible would wait for the next set of cards that can handle more than just dx12_0) and are much more affordable, and Win10 is "free" so there have already been many adopters.
>>
10's a pile of horse shit.
>>
>>343639252

>Still no MCC
>We still don't have Halo 3 on PC let alone ODST and Reach
>Implying I care about post-bungie Halo

This isn't the thread to rant about everything 343 fucked up with the Halo canon, so I won't do it. I just came to say who fucking cares about Halo 6. Might as well be fucking nothing coming to Windows 10.
>>
Someone needs to make Windows great again.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.