[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Having only played Metal Gear Solid One and loving it, I see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15
File: big_boss_by_kr0npr1nz-d986gz6.jpg (350 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
big_boss_by_kr0npr1nz-d986gz6.jpg
350 KB, 1080x1080
Having only played Metal Gear Solid One and loving it, I see Metal Gear Solid V on Steam sale and I'm really tempted to get. My question is if I will enjoy it only having played the first one, is it worth it?

Thank you
>>
Uhhh if you're not looking for a particularly good story but some reasonable gameplay, sure

Probably better you play MGS3 first at least
>>
>>343621653
Gameplay is 10/10 so yeah
>>
If you can, get yourself the HD collection and play 2 then 3.

4 is pretty much a movie so if you are able it's decent enough, but you may as well watch it.
Peace Walker's story should be known before playing Ground Zeroes, then Phantom Pain.

I guess you could play V now, but I'd suggest the series first.
>>
>>343621653
why the fuck did you miss all those great games
mgsv is an ending to the saga why would you play it as a second game
>>
Play 2, 3, 4 then V

do youself the favor.
>>
File: The Order to play MGS games.jpg (2 MB, 2398x3442) Image search: [Google]
The Order to play MGS games.jpg
2 MB, 2398x3442
>>343621653
No.
Also, you NEED to play MGS series entirely, in release order, to follow the plot and events in ANY of the games.

Personally I'd recommend playing up to MGS:PW, and then forgetting the series.

Grab PS3 + MGS Legacy Collection, and get to it.

>>343621910
>skipping PW, the most important game between 3 and 5
>no mention of GZ
>>
File: 1431493320673.jpg (41 KB, 364x356) Image search: [Google]
1431493320673.jpg
41 KB, 364x356
>>343621653
Sure go for it, the gameplay is top tier and one of the best of 2015, the story is not, and since is not completed i think you wont really need to know a lot about metal gear lore, just a little about Gran Jefe.
>>
>>343622018
forgot PW even existed

GZ is good too, but the numbered games are the most important
>>
File: hgfdhfgd.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
hgfdhfgd.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
Leave NOW.

It's a good game, but only if you know as little about it as possible.

So buy, and don't come back until you've played it.
>>
File: 18kxdwr5tg4kijpg.jpg (39 KB, 636x500) Image search: [Google]
18kxdwr5tg4kijpg.jpg
39 KB, 636x500
>>343621653
>TFW wishing I hadn't played the whole series already so that I could enjoy them once more.
>>
You should play every game in release order. Don't even think about chronological order.
>>
>>343622101
>forgot PW even existed
how the hell's that possible??
Easily the most FUN MGS to date, and important game considering MGS5's plot.

>GZ is good too, but the numbered games are the most important
GZ is literally the "chapter 1" of the MGS5 experience. And, ironically, a much better game in the end too.

>>343622164
This. Totally worth the trouble.
>>
>>343622114
It's not like he will understand BIG MEDIC. SPoilers tend to be forgotten if you don't know what they are about
>>
>>343621785
Gameplay/=controls please people learn the difference.

The controls are great, the "gameplay" is boring/repetitive af
>>
>>343621653
>Having only played Metal Gear Solid One
You're not real MGS fan so you might enjoy it
>>
>>343622203
The most fun MGS to me was MGS1/2

I agree GZ is significantly better than MGSV in lots of ways, especially as a game, but I will say Vs value is more on a meta level rather than strictly as a game.
>>
>>343621653
>My question is if I will enjoy it only having played the first one, is it worth it?
the answer is a big "maybe", but you won't be able to follow what the fuck is going on. Also, the "ending", or rather, lack of it, will probably leave you feel confused and disappointed.

If you enjoyed MGS1, you will love the sequels. Each later MGS game was build with the assumption that the player knows the previous game(s) in the series already. Every title in the saga expands and continues this one, big plot, that is slowly revealed.
>>
OP here, thank you so much for your input everyone. I should have done this a long time ago, but I guess you all convinced me. I just purchased the HD collection from Amazon and will play in the order of 2 > 3 > 4 > PW > V. I'm super excited and I appreciate all your help.
>>
File: fpV1DsP.jpg (77 KB, 1154x648) Image search: [Google]
fpV1DsP.jpg
77 KB, 1154x648
should it have ended with chapter 1?
>>
>>343622405
Yes. I would have rewrote it to make Skullface a stronger villain so it actually feels like a conclusion when you kill him.
>>
>>343622380
Attaboy!

Notice that HD Collection only includes 2, 3 and PW. You gotta get 4 separately. I recommend taking your time with each of the games, reading the manuals, doing tons of Codec calls, and in general letting things sink in.
And obviously you should turn off internet altogether to not see spoilers.
>>
>>343622380
Good going OP. Happy to see you enjoyed MGS1 because 2 is basically that but flashier.
>>
File: 11231523423.jpg (13 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
11231523423.jpg
13 KB, 204x247
>>343622405
I think Kojambo really wanted that Big medic at the end of the game. Will he would of just slapped that last scene at the end of the first chapter if the game ended there?
>>
Waste of money, 1, 2,3 and to some extent 4 are the only true MGS games.

MGSV gameplay is tailored for normies and the storyline is fucking dreadful.
>>
>>343622485
I personally enjoyed MGS1 a lot more than 2.
Dunno what happened, but #2 just felt rushed and less finalized in general than the original. Also, fuck Rose and Raiden.
>>
>>343622651
MGSVs story is literally Kojima and probably the least offensive part of the game.
>>
File: Venom_Snake_TTP.png (893 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Venom_Snake_TTP.png
893 KB, 900x900
>been playing MGS since 1
>disappointed by V but still thoroughly enjoyed it
>liked the story for trying something new and different
>venom was a good character, big boss' character benefited from his existence
I know a lot of people are mad and I knownthe reasons why, but I just don't understand it.
>>
>>343624054
>venom was a good character
>>
>>343624181
That's just how I felt, anon.
>>
>>343624181
He was legitimately more interesting than Naked Snake ever was
>>
>>343624232
>>343624353
why was he a good character?
He doesn't talk , doesn't make decisions, isn't relatable, doesn't show a little bit of personality he's a lifeless doll and shit character
>>
>>343621653
If you want to go from 1 straight to V then I'm guessing you're not really involved in the story, in which case go for it since V's gameplay is great. However you probably won't have a clue what's going on, or what the significance of anything is, so a lot of that will be lost on you.
>>
>>343624552
Try playing the game
>>
>>343622405
It should have ended with Mission 1.

The prologue was hype and the Mission where you rescue Kaz was perfect. Prime sneakan in a beautiful open world.

Then you realize that nothing in the game is as well designed as the first town you come across and every. single. mission that follows is just >go and fulton thing
>>
>>343624662
i did play it , i think you should play it
>>
>>343625045
Then you know Venom talks
>>
>>343624552
It's the role he serves in the story and universe that makes him a worthwhile character to me.
>>
>>343625084
if you mean by talking saying "yes" "no" "kaz" and
the dialogue with ashes on his face
>>
>>343622273
How? You can bring so much shit with you and tackle almost every mission however you want. Long range or CQC, loud or quiet, use distractions, traps, flanking tactics, etc. How is any of that repetitive?
>>
File: mgsvart.jpg (393 KB, 1492x508) Image search: [Google]
mgsvart.jpg
393 KB, 1492x508
>>343624054
Same. Like it could have done some stuff better, but they did a much better fall from grace for Big Boss than killing some african children ever could convey with the twist that he actually was letting Venom take the heat for him. Like it's almost the only kind of thing that could make fans stop hero worshiping him and show a real progression from his naive, idealistic Naked Snake self to the Big Boss that Solid Snake puts down.

And they left some mystery with how the gaps could actually be filled in just by providing new context instead of just retconning stuff or shoving every possible loose thread into a single story like MGS4.
>>
File: Ocelot_MGSV.png (104 KB, 250x268) Image search: [Google]
Ocelot_MGSV.png
104 KB, 250x268
If you're going to start a MGS thread at least show the series some respect and post Liquid, Solidous, Solid, or Naked Snake.

>>343624552
Spot fucking on.

And let's talk about how much pic related is NOT Ocelot.
>>
>>343625359
not that guy

It's repetitive because all the missions are the same.

>go to place
>extract person/item

You can do them in different ways but there's really no incentive to. Even missions where you supposedly have to destroy something you're better off just extracting it.

It's like GTA IV, the world is pretty and there's cool features but the core gameplay is boring because the missions are all straightforward copy pasted affairs
>>
>>343625763
That was Venom Ocelot
The real ocelot is Eli
>>
File: mgs5ddog.jpg (16 KB, 480x432) Image search: [Google]
mgs5ddog.jpg
16 KB, 480x432
>>343625201
There's also his interactions with other characters, the decisions he makes, how he tries living up to an idealized version of Big Boss that the real one never would be able to do, the Paz hallucinations due to guilt, etc.

He had plenty of personality.
>>
File: gN4SUOv.jpg (835 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
gN4SUOv.jpg
835 KB, 2048x1536
And don't get me started and this fucking train wreck
>>
>>343622273
No it isn't. The missions are boring, he gameplay is good.
>>
>>343625915
Wouldn't be that bad if it didn't have FUCKING P2P
>>
>>343625915
Is this fun ? I was actually excited about this but when I got the game I played 35 hours and dropped it, I don't even know why. I kind of want to get back to it now that I have a real PC
>>
>>343625915

I feel you anon, MGSV was a disappointment for me in general but MGO3 made me question the future of video games as a whole.
>>
>>343621874
not him, but the other games were only for sony fags.
>>
>>343625763
But that is Ocelot. MGSV is the only time we've ever seen Ocelot being his true self, devoid of any theatrics.

Every other Ocelot we've ever seen was a character he played.
>>
If you disconnect it from the trailers and rest of the series the game is really fucking good so go ahead
>>
>>343624552
I don't know if I'd call Venom a good character, but he's more empathetic than Big Boss because of the Paz storyline and the Shining Lights scene painting him as a genuinely good person who genuinely cares for his guys
>>
File: 1452529000670.jpg (75 KB, 934x1334) Image search: [Google]
1452529000670.jpg
75 KB, 934x1334
>>343625763
Let's talk about the hilariously preposterous premise that Ocelot of all people would be a spy.
>>
Reminder that you literally cannot trust a single moment of MGSV to be exactly as it appears because Venom already hallucinated a room, three people and a series of conversations and there's nothing stopping it from happening anywhere else
>>
>>343626559
>Ocelot already was a spy
>so was Kaz back in Peace Walker
>>
>>343626559
But Ocelot IS a spy
He's spying on literally everything you don't even know which side he's with
>>
>>343621653
Go for it.
It has top tier gameplay and the story has it's moments.
>The enemy is here and he's on his knees
>>
>>343626993
that's the joke.
>>
>>343627021
>Something smells sweet. Like ripe fruit.
Shining Lights was atmospheric as fuck. Absolute peak of the game.
>>
Let's just go through each snake.

Liquid - a manipulating pissed off leader. driven by the hate he has of his for his very existence, with a British twist.

Solidous - literally a natural born leader. who's only desire was to make himself separated from his roots. a strong individual through and though.

Solid - A legend. Really nothing else to be said.
He's sent to do a job and gets shit done.

Big Boss - Forced to kill his mentor for the sake of his country, who only turns against him anyway. Becomes an icon on the battlefield, not through story, but through actions. With the world targeting him. Only to die by the hugs of his own clone/son next to The Boss' grave.

Venom - lifeless doll. says very little. a literal puppet. no feats besides, stopping a weak ass Metal Gear that's not even fully functional controlled by psycho mantis, and doesn't even get to have a badass showdown with the main villain nor gets to kill him.

also gets killed by a can of hot Pantene Pro-V
>>
>>343621653
The story is an incomplete piece of shit.
I really expected more.
But the game play is really cool I guess.

You should try mgs3 as others suggested
>>
>>343627779
>Venom
>also gets killed by a can of hot Pantene Pro-V

Well he managed to fool you into thinking he was the real big boss apparently, so he did a pretty good job.
>>
>>343621653
Get GZ and watch the Peace walker movie on YouTube first
>>
>>343622405
I have no idea why they kept in the scene where Liquid steals the Metal Gear. All they had to do was snip the shit out where they take the Metal Gear back to base, have Venom destroy all the English parasites, and then have Liquid disappear at some point with Mantis. ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS CUT THAT SHIT OUT AND IT WOULD'VE BEEN FINE.
>>
>There's only room for one snake and one boss
>There are now two bosses.
>>
File: 1445929137583.jpg (26 KB, 279x228) Image search: [Google]
1445929137583.jpg
26 KB, 279x228
>>343621653
i liked it
>>
>>343627779
Venom is a much better person than BB...
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (231 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
231 KB, 700x525
Im not reading any post ITT because i don't want spoilers so forgive any redundancy

I have played every metal gear game except acid 2, peacewalker, and tactical ops

Bought V last week, and have sunk probably 40 or 50 hours in already and have barely cracked 25% completion, where as the previous games were all in the 15-19 hour range

this is because

>shit load of side missions, some of which are cool, others are repetitive and annoying
>base building mechanics, spend lots of time collecting materials (unless you just wait to get them through challenge rewards or your base development team)
>open world free roam
>cassette tapes with story related info that range anywhere from 1-10 minutes a piece

Its really different from previous metal gears, and certain elements are almost reminiscent of farcry 3 (the outposts etc)

The story (up to were i am) is less in depth then previous metal gears, but it has me interested enough to not want spoilers so its not terrible.
I would recommend it but its not a normal metal gear game and you can easily sink alot of time or probably breeze through it in 50-60 hours if you just do main missions and limited development project shit
>>
>>343629441
He might be a better person, but he has zero personality.

Big Boss was always an adorable dork who believes in Santa Claus.
>>
>>343629552
The real game starts after the story when you are pitting your fob against others online
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.