[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The great debate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: (RZ6058FS)N03@X8%ZFXHH2.jpg (43 KB, 491x158) Image search: [Google]
(RZ6058FS)N03@X8%ZFXHH2.jpg
43 KB, 491x158
The great debate.
>>
what debate? THUG 2 is objectively better.
>>
Thug 2 gamecube while listenig to riddle box by ICP
>>
>>343590937

>objectively better

>game that shoehorned in novelty vehicles that added nothing to the gameplay besides completing 4 tacked-on objectives
>game that turned the story of the rise of an indie skater into Viva La Bam
>objectively better than THAW

The only thing THAW did wrong was the tutorial. Beyond that, it brought the story back to becoming a skating legend and all other skating-related shenanigans.

Plus, it's pretty much the only game with functional BMX stuff since Dave Mirra Freestyle 2.
>>
>>343590937
but if you're being objective and stripping nostalgia away, THAW is objectively better. bigger world, no loading times in between a large, interconnected, open world, far more customization options, a larger and less segmented story, an entire separate game mechanic in the BMX riding
>>
>>343590828
American Wasteland was the last extreme sports game with BMX.
>>
Pro skater 4.
>>
>>343592332
But pro skater 5 was better and more choice
>>
>>343592332
contrarians please go.
>>
>>343590828
I never got to play American Wasteland, but I enjoyed tf out of THUG 1 & 2. As a black guy growing up in a black neighborhood, THUG painted a picture of how white people lived and acted in the early 2000's. How accurate are these games of Suburban white culture?
>>
File: 1445990718234.png (160 KB, 748x1036) Image search: [Google]
1445990718234.png
160 KB, 748x1036
THUG1 >>> Viva LA bam video game

>oh, you liked THUG? Well here's a Jackass video game full of midgets and fart jokes and epic pranks xD
>>
>>343590828
wasteland had better customization
underground 2 had better sountrack and gameplay
>>
THUG2 is far and away superior, it's not even close.
>>
God i hate how THUG2's story is completely different compared to THUG1. Not in a good way.

At least THAW's was better.
>>
>>343592602

I never got to play American Wasteland, but I enjoyed the fuck out of THUG 1 & 2. As a black guy growing up in a black neighborhood, THUG painted a picture of how white people lived and acted in the early 2000's. How accurate are these games of Suburban white culture?

Fixed your stupid bullshit
>>
>>343592602
>How accurate are these games of Suburban white culture?
Right now? None. Just remember what your older brother was like 6-7 years ago and that's the average white suburbanite/gentrified teenager/manchild.
>>
THAW is a shining example of trying to do too many things.

It's got parkour, Bert Slides, BMX, both wallplants and Sticker Slaps, rail stalls...it made the core game too convoluted.
>>
>>343592732
You know you could've just greentexted "tf" if it offended you so much 2bh.
>>
File: skate games tiers.jpg (177 KB, 719x1320) Image search: [Google]
skate games tiers.jpg
177 KB, 719x1320
>>
Between those two? I guess Underground 2 because I never had the chance to play American Wasteland. THUG 2 honestly is fine except for it feels weird that they went with a Jackass/Viva La Bam shenanigan story right after the more serious story of THUG 1 but I thought it was funny and had fun with how over the top and silly it was.
>>
>>343592971
Either cuss or dont cuss dont half ass it
>>
AW has a better story and setting

THUG2 has more fun missions

Both are top tier
>>
>>343590828
literally neither. thug 2 had too much bam wank and american wasteland had the worst soundtrack i've ever heard and was literally "DUDE WHITE TEENS IN CALIFORNIA LMAO" the game

thug was the closest the series ever got to an honest to goodness skateboarding aesthetic and featured the best villain in video games
>>
>>343593059
i'd personally move 4 to high tier, but i'm biased. otherwise perfect list.
>>
you guys are fucking retards

tony hawks ride is the best
>>
>story
THAW clearly wins. Wasn't "jackass lite" like THUG 2 and full of "lel so randum XD" jokes and shenanigans

>Gameplay
THAW again. Adding more movement options on foot and having them work in with the tricks on board was a nice addition to the franchise, not to mention how much mobility it added when exploring the world, like being able to actually run up walls and grab them, rather than relying on broken walljumps or trying to awkwardly get there on your board and jump off of it. BMX was clunky, but still added a lot to the game to keep it fresh longer

>Music
THUG 2 hands down. THAW had the worst soundtrack of all. Little to no hip-hop/metal and all focused on getting some of the worst bands of the time covering a bunch of hardcore classics (although https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6Y4fUWZ4k is still the best song on the soundtrack). Half of them were decent, and the other half were just bad.

THUG 2 had more range on it's soundtrack, and a lot more memorable songs. Plus it had The Melvins, so that's hard to top.

>Levels

Again THUG 2. Having one big open world was ambitious, and frankly welcomed. But the fact that you had to traverse those giant areas that were obviously covering the loading times was a huge step back. It was hardware limitations, sure, but it still killed immersion (especially areas like Downtown > East LA or Santa Monica to the Oil Rig). THUG 2 had stronger individual levels that, while smaller, had a lot more in ways of actual objects, gaps, rails, and interact-ables. Not to mention all the secret areas that you could find

>Characters
THUG 2 was the last one with most of the "original" THPS lineups, but at the same time all of the secret characters were shit. THAW's secret characters were also shit, but also had the problem of the main roster being just as full of "literally who"s. I think THUG 2 just edges it out

Overall THUG 2 edges out THAW, but at the end of the day i do get more enjoyment out of THAW.
>>
>>343594080
>best villain in video games
Gravity?
>>
File: eric fucking sparrow.jpg (8 KB, 301x168) Image search: [Google]
eric fucking sparrow.jpg
8 KB, 301x168
>>343594615
>>
>>343593059
>skate
Fuck you and everything you stand for, I don't want a god damn skateboarding sim, I want fast twitchy arcade style combo whoring and flying 300 feet in the air.
>>
File: Spud.jpg (747 KB, 681x1564) Image search: [Google]
Spud.jpg
747 KB, 681x1564
>that feel when you have the same first name as Bam Margera
>didn't even know for years what his real first name was
>>
>Tony Hawk series committed suicide
>Skate series vanished in thin air after EA pulled an EA and killed the developer

I just want a good, new skating game
>>
>>343595078
might take a few years when there's something to actually care about in the skateboarding community that inspires a resurgence in popularity.
>>
File: Grapheme-Colour Syn.jpg (300 KB, 961x530) Image search: [Google]
Grapheme-Colour Syn.jpg
300 KB, 961x530
>>343594915
POST MORE COLOR GRAPHME CAUCASIANS

THEY ARE THRILLING.
>>
>>343594580
THUG 2 was indeed an Skateboarding themed episode of Jackass / Wildboyz. I didn't really get the humor, and even at age 15 it seemed immature, but the gameplay was at least a lot of fun.
>>
>>343595078
indeed. why is it so hard to make a skating game like the Pro Skaters games or THUG1 and 2?
>>
>>343594915
Brandon?
>>
File: The man with the master plan.jpg (274 KB, 1600x950) Image search: [Google]
The man with the master plan.jpg
274 KB, 1600x950
>>343595078

nobody makes skating games because it's not popular anymore
>>
File: faggot.png (336 KB, 316x360) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
336 KB, 316x360
>>343590828
Literally every game after Tony Hawk 3 is shit.
>>
>>343593059

Eliminate the Skate games because I never played them and this is spot on.
>>
>>343595702
Of the classic games 4 has objectively better gameplay and THUG was a really huge evolution of the series. The only reason anyone thinks 3 is the best is because of the levels.
>>
>>343595906
Wrong.
>>
>>343595985
Great argument retard.
>>
>>343590828

Original THUG, nigga

You're fucking stupid to think otherwise. Nothing like punching Eric in his stupid face while we tries to waves the tape around like he deserves it. Also based Muska is in it.
>>
>>343595619
Except the Skate games are recent and popular
>>
>>343592602
nigger
>>
Bam Margera is a fucking faggot
>>
Who else can do a 900 besides Tony?
>>
>all these games
>that don't have the FUCKING BERMUDA TRIANGLE MAP
that shit was the best. unlocking all the little secrets and shit.
>>
File: sadhawk.png (31 KB, 268x238) Image search: [Google]
sadhawk.png
31 KB, 268x238
anyone wanna play thugpro?
>>
>>343594915
it's a pretty common first name you faggot
brandini is that you?
>>
>>343594776

Then play Skate 3 you tremendous faggot.
>>
>>343596171
>recent
The last skate game was over 6 years ago. That's over half a decade.
>>
>>343599954

There was a reprint of Skate 3 in 2014.

Granted, it was because of an LP done by PDP and the fags who bought it are Hall of Meat shitters, but that still says something about the popularity of skating games. At least there's Project Sessions to look forward to.
>>
>>343593059
Damn. This needs some updating, add project 8, proving ground, and the new tony hawk game maybe?
>>
>>343600379

All of those fit under "everything else".

Project 8 was proof that Tony Hawk wasn't meant for the 8th gen, Proving Ground was the last spasm of Neversoft before they died, Downhill Jam was SSX on skateboards, RIDE/SHRED missed the point of Tony Hawk games entirely, HD was an attempt to appease nostalgiafags that didn't work, and 5 is complete shit.
>>
>>343600810
What about American Sk8land?
>>
>>343601190

Never played it, but from what I hear it was decent, so it deserves a spot on Mid Tier with THAW.
>>
What I wanna know is
1. What is the appeal of skateboarding games?
2. What makes a "good" skateboarding game?
>>
Why didn't Activision just make a viva la bam game and not ruin the Underground name?
>>
>>343601773
THPS games were fast paced and his focus on combos was appealing and made it fun, the controls were smooth, the music was fantastic and the level desing was awesome.
Also playing it on a console was easier (and safer) than skating IRL (also, all skaters are a bunch of collosal faggots).
The things i mentioned makes a good skateboarding game also.
>>
>>343601773
Go read some old reviews. Gamespot is a good choice.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.