[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always vastly preferred GTA IV to V and have sunk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
I've always vastly preferred GTA IV to V and have sunk hundreds of hours into it.
I was never able to articulate exactly what about it I enjoy so much, but this video opened my eyes a bit and makes it a bit easier to show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVtZJo-HqI

The attention to detail is just less. Maybe it's having more characters, a bigger map, I'm not sure, but GTA V feels more like Saints Row than any sort of realistic sandbox world to mess with. GTA IV feels like one of the only games where you can really genuinely recreate action movie scenes on your own, can explore and climb shit if you'd like, interact with and harass random people on the street, have fun with the ragdoll, the attention to small detail is amazing and the world feels very real.
When I play GTA V, I just think it feels too dull and "video gamey" in a sense- too much of an arcade shooter, too much of an arcade driver, and so on. Not to say it's a bad game at all- but playing GTA IV for fun has always felt much better as you feel like you're in a real world, as opposed to what feels like the empty and less realistic GTA V world.

Does anyone else share these feelings or is it just me? I see most people on here say V is objectively better but I just completely disagree.
>>
>>343585181
>Does anyone else share these feelings
Absolutely. Bottom line is, V has a LOT more content, features and a much bigger map, but it falls short in some central gameplay elements compared to IV; the kind that people may dismiss as nitpicking on their own but overall they really do make a big difference for the experience. I think it's hard to argue one way or the other on which is the better game in the end, but I do find it very strange that V took so many steps back compared to IV for no apparent reason. I hope that for GTA VI they will manage to combine the better aspects of both games.
>>
File: 1466935327940.gif (808 KB, 245x194) Image search: [Google]
1466935327940.gif
808 KB, 245x194
>>343586149
I'm glad it's not just me. I've thought the same thing, but I believe the future is grim for GTA VI. The heavily character change focused, arcade gameplay style will likely be continued since it was so successful and touted as an improvement by so many people.
It has more content but less soul, I know it's a cliche but it's true. GTA IV was the sweet spot in between the 3D era and the huge HD era games- it was too early in the next gen life cycle to be an amazing, amazing technical marvel graphically or do perfect refined arcade gameplay since they hadn't done Max Payne 3 yet or the newer Midnight Club, so they had to focus on detail and realism. I think it's going to a be a rarity. I think that TBoGT is proof that the more comedy focused/outrageous missions ala SA or V can work in a realistic world, but they just don't see the reason to put work into the detail when they could instead impress with a big map.
>>
>the video that I made and spam on /v/ every day opened up my eyes
>>
>>343587192
I've come here every day for over 9 years and I've never seen this video before today.
>implying a video with 13,000,000 needs to be shilled
>>
>>343585181
I liked V better but i agree with your point.
>>
File: 1466145852023.jpg (103 KB, 442x740) Image search: [Google]
1466145852023.jpg
103 KB, 442x740
>GTA VI will be just as silly as V
>no GTA will ever be as serious as IV
Just end me already
>>
>>343587192
>4 million views
That's some impressive paranoia.
>>
Is this the thread where we masturbate with each other over our contrarian opinions?
>>
>>343588238
Sounds like /v/ in general.
>>
File: 1466992433766.jpg (33 KB, 263x267) Image search: [Google]
1466992433766.jpg
33 KB, 263x267
>>343588238
I hate /v/ because of people like you.
>someone disagrees with the popular opinion in any way
>"lol contrarian losers haha ur wrong lol"
>never present any counterpoints
>never present any argument
>just act superior because you believe the same thing as most people
Just end yourself, really and seriously, it's time to end it.
>>
GTAV fell short for me because the Online sucks and too much time, money, and effort went into that over the singleplayer experience, which had a very lackluster story spread too thin across 3 characters who weren't fleshed out individually enough.

Would've been more interesting if all 3 characters had separate stories that intertwined from time to time like Niko Johnny and Luis in IV. In V, they start off doing backstory and singular missions for the characters, but it all stops as soon as the 3 connect.
>>
>>343588525
If anything the only character arc and story that was well developed and complete was Michael's, which comes as no surprise since he was the first protagonist for V they came up with - and the story revolves around him.

How I wish GTA V would have gone the IV/EFLC route instead.

IV/EFLC - 3 stories, 3 characters, overlaps here and there
V - 1 story, 3 characters, isolation here and there
>>
>>343587739
Was GTA IV your first GTA?
>>
>GTAV
>just hold a button to auto-dodge melee attacks
>GTAIV
>have to work for it

The melee in V was complete shit and I likes my fistfights. Also they removed crouching, gay.
>>
>>343587739

GTAV sucked because it took itself too serious.

GTAIV suffered the same problem, which is why TBoGT was so great - it abandoned the serious tone and went in a more wild route.
>>
>>343589723
Same my favorite thing to do in GTA IV was beat up and fight random people, especially considering the physics.
Also there is only one dodge and attack animation in V.
>>
SOMEDAY
SOMEDAY
SOMEDAY

DOMINION
>>
Red Dead Redemption is better than both of them by a country mile, and indeed any GTA game, but in fairness to the OP I did like GTA IV a lot more than V. Completely over GTA as a whole though, just kind of bland now that the open world action game genre is so cluttered by other much more interesting games.
>>
>>343589810

>GTAV took itself too seriously
>get high and become Sasquatch and fistfight Michael J Fox

Yeah I fucking hate how realistic it is
>>
File: how to hang yourself.jpg (216 KB, 500x858) Image search: [Google]
how to hang yourself.jpg
216 KB, 500x858
>>343588471
I second this post. Here is some helpful advice.
>>
>>343589937

>what is story
>>
>>343589810
GTA V sucked because its tone was inconsistent.
The dialogue was funny and well written in IV, but the general tone was definitely meant to be more serious. V is all over the place, both in main story and side missions. IV had serious main missions, and (mostly) fun/funny side missions. Whether you like serious or not is up to you, but the issue with V is its inconsistency in tone.
>>
>>343589901
>red dead
>can't actually knock people out with your fists

Other than that I agree, dragging people through a cactus patch or cutting someone free in the wild to use as bait for wolves was hilarious
>>
>>343589419
No GTA 2 was my first
>>
>>343590003

GTA V had the most unrealistic bullshit story I've ever seen in a GTA

>the same three people pull off multiple high-level heists
>nobody ever recognizes them
>Michael even admits to illegal shit to his shrink and the doctor does nothing
>>
>>343585181
I fucking hated how IV made the series so "realistic".

V wasn't perfect, but it was vastly more fun, and didn't have a stick up its ass.

>more like saint's row

well, saint's row actually started as a gta clone, so... I mean, whatever. expecting a series that has always been a very specific way, but strayed from the formula for ONE game to continue down that path is sort of silly.
>>
>>343589901
OP here, I actually completely agreed that Red Dead is better than both, but I'm glad you feel the same about IV.
I prefer Red Dead over both because the attention to detail and little things you can do for fun is even great, and the story is simultaneously comical and serious- but it makes it very clear from the start of a chain of missions/the beginning of a mission what the tone is intended to be. It's not all over the place like in V.
>tfw robbing a bank whenever you want
>tfw hogtieing someone and putting them on the train tracks
>tfw barely catching the train at the station, climbing on the back and working your way to the front to rob it and kill the driver, then escape in the wilderness
If it was on PC it'd be my favorite game of all time.
>>
>>343590401

Are you seriously complaining about realism in GTA?

Fucking serious?

Now I'm convinced most of /v/ is underaged and never touched a PS2-era GTA game.
>>
>>343589901
RDR was an absolute gift from God. How the hell they got away with making such a good game I'll never know.
>>
>>343590491

You're the one fucking complaining about how GTA V took itself too seriously you good for nothing sack of shit
>>
V is my favorite overall but the driving and combat do feel a bit too much like III. IV was a better 'street simulator' but offered less. Also the strippers were far superior in IV
>>
>>343590579

Taking itself serious =/= realism.
>>
>>343585181
IV has more exaggerated ragdoll physics and that's why you prefer it? okay.
>>
>>343590464
You're missing the point- GTA was always meant to be a satire of American culture. It was always wacky fun, of course it was, but I mean V is more like Saint's Row in that it tries to be so wacky but also serious at random points. It's a contradiction. It could be handled well except missions are meant to be both funny and serious at the same time somehow.

Take the torture mission for example. It's meant to be a serious commentary on how fucked up torture is, but instead of having a reluctant Michael or Franklin do it, they have a wild and zany Trevor make one liners through the whole thing and expect you to have fun while also contemplating the real world and serious implications of torture. Juxtaposition can be done well but they did not pull it off in any way.
I didn't expect it to be serious like GTA IV, I hoped it would be consistent and have some sort of attention to detail.
>>
>>343590557
RDR has boring, repetitive missions, basic game mechanics that feel like cheating and unlikable characters.
It's not any better than GTA V
>>
>>343590732
>more exaggerated
>when you touch a pedestrian their legs crumble from under them as opposed to them stumbling a bit and walking back to avoid your car
>they do not react when you bump into them at all
>hitting a brick wall at 100 miles per hour will barely dent your car
It's not about exaggerated anything, it's about a complete lack of detail. It wouldn't be so jarring if GTA IV didn't do it FAR better in 2008.
>>
File: implying.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>343591075
>implying
>>
>>343591075
>basic game mechanics that feel like cheating
Like what, the limited use dead shot? Do you feel like you're cheating when you use devil trigger in DMC as well?
>unlikable characters
You know that certain characters are meant to be annoying and unlikable right? Not everyone is supposed to be your best friend in a story, it tends to make things boring and is not realistic whatsoever.
>repetitive missions
How so? Much more variety than just about any GTA game.
>boring
subjective
>>
I honestly think the driving in IV is fun as fuck.

Has nothing to do with the fact that it may be realistic. Or not.

Its just fun as hell to control. So rewarding when you finally master the controls and can drive fast. Theres just so much WEIGHT to the driving, its fun.
>>
>>343591503
Same, that's another thing I love about it.
Every car in V feels pretty much the same, whereas in IV the handling and car damage are so much better. They have real weight to them and felt like something you could master, I can still go back and it feels like riding a bike. Just pissing off random cops than having a car chase feels so fun because they try actual maneuvers like boxing you in instead of just having cheap speed boosts and ramming you.
>>
>>343590557
RDR is GTA IV reskinned
>>
>>343591758
And yet manages to be 10 times better. Not bad for a "reskinned" game.
>>
>>343591758
lol
Just say something of substance for once. If you're going to say something, list reasons or evidence that supports it. Stop just saying things. You sound like a fucking retard.
not even the guy you're replying to.
>>
File: 1326672740910.jpg (89 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1326672740910.jpg
89 KB, 500x333
>>343585181
>there's a counter video to this one.
>almost all it does, is show graphical improvements to the game.
a sad commentary.
also it's pretty ridiculous that GTAV had 3 protagonists and only one of them is somewhat likable.
>>
>>343593862
I agree. Michael and Franklin sucked ass.
>>
>>343587739
GTA IV was not good at being serious, the story was shit.
>>
>>343591503
Shooting, driving and listening to music at the same time for some reason feels a lot better in IV
>>
File: 1347691920864.jpg (50 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1347691920864.jpg
50 KB, 384x288
>>343594071
>>
File: 1466686474651.png (7 KB, 266x266) Image search: [Google]
1466686474651.png
7 KB, 266x266
>>343594297
>>
>>343585181
I played IV on PS3, never played the expansions.
What I remember is that the missions felt very samey, every character other than Niko was really annoying, the driving wasn't fun like previous GTA's, and a lot of the goofy fun gameplay elements of previous games were removed.
I simply had a better time with V
>>
>tfw playing gta5 i wished the story followed niko instead of these three underdeveloped literally who characters
>tfw at the time faggots on /v/ felt that trevor the epic maymay man was the best character
>tfw gta5 completely shit on the lost and the damned to show everyone how edgy trevor was
>tfw cockstar has completely sold out.

When did you realize rockstar belongs in the trash?
>>
Haven't played either, but 4 looked better.
>>
>>343589723
I'm so fucking pissed they removed manual crouching. Having it meant I didn't have to use the shitty cover system in IV, but I have to use it in V.
>>
the only thing I don't like is the driving in GTA4.

also the story and missions sucked dicks
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.