[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New from /tg/ and friends are encouraging me to try some of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Tab A.jpg (160 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Tab A.jpg
160 KB, 600x600
New from /tg/ and friends are encouraging me to try some of the old Final Fantasy games in order to get a deeper appreciation of their blather. Is it possible to emulate the old Final Fantasy games on this model of dataslate?
>>
File: reactor bg animated.gif (782 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
reactor bg animated.gif
782 KB, 512x512
>>343565887
considering that at least NES and SNES emus can be ran on literal toasters of yesteryears, and even PS1 emulation has been possible on mobile phones for few years now... I'd guess so.

What comes to FF games, it's good to know that most of the games have NOTHING to do with each other. Just about every FF game has its own plot, world, cast, and somewhat different gameplay. They are however connected by certain re-occuring features and design choices.

It's also very subjective which games will appeal to you. Personally, I'd recommend skipping the 8-bit originals (1-3), and testing 4, 6, 7 and 9.

If you are going to only play 1 FF game, then start with FF7. It was the game that made the series big in west, marked the series' jump to 3D, and it's overall also a great, atmospheric game. Gameplay-wise it's simple enough to pick up by rookies, yet expansive enough to not be boring to experienced players. Plenty of side content too.
>>
>>343567063
OP here, I honestly would prefer turn-based games to ARPGs like FF13 (I played for maybe fifteen minutes and decided there were too many frontloaded mechanics in a system I didn't like in the first place, and decided that the protagonist was kind of an absolute cunt).

FF7 always seemed not bad, but the animation's really odd from what I've seen. What program would I use to go about running the game on the system I have?

Which game would be good to start for someone who's probably more interested in the bit sprites as opposed to the CG in the later ones?
>>
>>343567883
If you prefer sprites then FF6 is pretty solid. Many would argue that it's the best of the series.
>>
>>343568306
So 7 and 6 are the ones to try.
Anybody know what program ought to be used?
>>
>>343567063
>It was the game that made the series big in west, marked the series' jump to 3D, and it's overall also a great, atmospheric game
And is also the game that dumbed down everything an made FF a cocksucking fest of homos and retards
>>
>>343567883
>>343568401
>ARPGs like FF13
That's still not ARPG. Just a bit faster-paced variant of the Active Time Battle system they've used in the series since early days. The only truly turn-based game so far has been FFX.

>animations really odd from what I've seen
what do you mean?
It's a 1997 PS1 game. Obviously it won't look as amazing as it did 20 years ago, but it still has great style and mood.

But yeah, 6 and 7 are the most loved entries in the series, and worth playing. There's only handful of actually well working emus on Android, most of them the same as on PC, so just look them up.

>>343568594
go back to playing your NES original FF1, grandpa.
>>
In addition to the other posts I reccomend you try a job based FF. Simce there are two kinds of FF, those with job systems like the original and those whose caharacters have a "job" predetermined for them, and you have the freedom to shape them as you see fit.

For these I reccomend FFV on the SNES if you are going to be emulating. It's pretty dated so check out some videos to see if you are willing to try. FF3 has a DS remake which is pretty cool too. Out of the newer ones FFXII has a job system, but it's only to be found in the international version which wasnmt released state-side, but has an english menu patch you can download.

Another game to try out is FF Tactics. It is a strategy spin-off game, but it has the job system and in my opinion one of the best stories (if not the best) on a FF.
>>
>>343569398
>FF3 has a DS remake which is pretty cool too
I personally found it pretty meh. Greatly prefer the fan-translated NES original over it. It just has better pacing and clearer visuals.
In general, I'm not too big of a fan of the job-system. I prefer my characters actually well designed, varied and distinct.
>>
>>343569748

I never played the original, I guess I'll give that fan translation a go, so thanks for mentioning it, anon.

And I also preffer the other style but there is a certain charm to the job systems that I feel is an integral part of what made FF in the begining, even if they tossed it later on. To anyone trying out FF for the first time I always reccomend one with it, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>343569398
DS remakes are all well and good, but I've never actually owned a mobile Nintendo product. Do you know a particular program that would work well to run Final Fantasy on that tablet?

Also, as a general question for anyone well-versed in the game series, could I have a basic premise of the series' stories and world setups and see what sounds interesting? Everyone's mentioning mechanics, and I was looking more for story.
>>
File: 1382743639389.png (300 KB, 496x357) Image search: [Google]
1382743639389.png
300 KB, 496x357
>>343570517
>To anyone trying out FF for the first time I always reccomend one with it, but that's just my opinion.
really depends on what kind of experience you're after. If you're into the nowadays more common plot-driven experiences with visual splendor and memorable cast, then the 6-9 (and up) are probably the safest choice.

If you instead want somewhat more WRPG-ish experience, as in be able to customize your characters and mostly focus on gameplay, then the job-system games are probably the thing for you.

if you've never touched an RPG game and just want to chill & experience the plot, then I'd guess FF X might be good place to start, thanks to its more linear design + actual turn-based combat.

>>343571001
>Do you know a particular program that would work well to run Final Fantasy on that tablet?
Emulators, son. It's not rocket science.

>could I have a basic premise of the series' stories and world setups and see what sounds interesting?
The premise sometimes doesn't reflect the entire game entirely in many of the games, and you can expect the stories to evolve and have some twists along the way.

I've played every main-series FF, but I've only enjoyed 4,6,7,9,10 and 13 games the most. So, from the top of my head:

4:
>an old kingdom has suddenly started waging wars and stealing other countries' magical items. You start as the Dark Knight of this kingdom, and get into a moral dilemma about your king's actions.

6:
>Magic's extinct, but technology has greatly advanced. A mechs operating empire is taking over other nations and hunting magic-users and artifacts. You start as a slaved "Summoner", forced to attack a mining town.

7:
>A gigantic corporation, Shinra, sucks life energy out of the planet itself, Mako, turning it into power that people use. Game starts with you participating in a terrorist attack against one of Shinra's Mako reactors, which makes you and your team wanted criminals. There's however more going on than meets the eye.

...cont'd
>>
File: 1249515797575.jpg (371 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1249515797575.jpg
371 KB, 1280x1024
>>343571841

9:
>a band of thieves enter a slightly closed off kingdom, masquerading as a flying theater group, with their goal being kidnapping the country's princess. However, it turns out that princess actually wants to get kidnapped, and escapes with them. Bunch of very unlikely characters end up teaming together, some escaping from the kingdom, some trying to see the world, some trying to get princess return back home. Bigger catastrophe lies behind the curtain though.

10:
>a son of legendary underwater ball sport player, also a player himself now, is dragged into mysterious world 1000 years in his future, when a gigantic sea-creature known as "Sin" appears in the middle of his game and destroys his home city. Everyone in this new world thinks he's a bit of a weirdo or inhaled too much toxic, however Sin is a well known constant danger to them. You end up joining a fresh Summoner girl, on his pilgrimage to destroy Sin, and bring calm to the land.

>Bunch of very people of different backgrounds become hunted by their own home, after they become in close contact with what can only be described as an outside god, giving them the foreign skill of magic, and also cursing them to slowly turn into monsters in the end. With their personal agendas on the line, ranging from saving their loved ones from a curse to just learning what's going on, the group both escape their pursuers and decide to fight their fate, and old rules.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.