[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else feel ALBW is the best in the series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: A-Link-Between-Worlds-Box-Art.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1697) Image search: [Google]
A-Link-Between-Worlds-Box-Art.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1697
Anyone else feel ALBW is the best in the series?
>>
>>343533238
Sometimes.
>>
Nope.
>>
ALttP, OoT, MM, and ALBW are all top tier to me.
>>
It was pretty damn good.
>>
ALttP was better
>>
Playing it for the first time now and I'm loving it. LTTP is my favorite Zelda and I'm getting hit with nostalgia so hard it's almost painful. Currently at the seventh temple in Lorule.

I bought a 3DS specifically for this game and I don't regret it.
>>
>>343533541
It was way too long.
>>
>>343533238
I think it might actually be the worst in the entire series. It's so bad. I don't understand you /v/
>>
>>343534260
>way to long
>impying you didn't enjoyed every second of it
>>
>>343534260
>10 hours is too long
ok
>>
no, its Skyward Sword
>>
File: tumblr_lsaqzepSOj1r0b5odo1_500.jpg (79 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lsaqzepSOj1r0b5odo1_500.jpg
79 KB, 500x406
>>343534826
You spelled it wrong, it's "Squidward Sword"
>>
>>343533238
It's a great game, but not the best at anything. For every aspect, there's some game that does it better: but it does everything quite well.
>>
Dungeons were a bit too easy. Hard mode ''fixes'' that but it's not by design but by handicap

Minish cap was the best imo
>>
>>343533238
I got it cheap as fuck, never played a zelda before in my life, what should I expect?
>>
>>343534551
>worse than the DS games
no
>>
I was surprised at how good the dungeons were

A step in the right direction but not the best IMO
>>
>>343535445
It certainly had some of the best dungeons in the series, that's for sure. The one where you use the wallmaster to solve puzzles was very memorable for me.
>>
>>343535797
Yeah, and using the hookshot to blend into the walls

I found myself using the hint ghost quite often
>>
>>343535393
Yes. At least those weren't bug ridden messes with awful framerate. I swear this game runs at an average of 5fps
>>
>>343535379
Just play it, it's pretty fun and honestly not a bad starting point for the series.
>>
No.

I love ALBW and the freeform approach. But buying the items was retarded, and the difficulty plateaus once you hit Lorule and doesn't change until the final dungeon.
>>
>7 hours long to 100%
>0 difficulty
>no progression
>forgettable plot/characters
>overpowered items from the get go
>magic auto-refill bar replacing magic and ammo

No, it was garbage.
>>
>>343536479
>>magic auto-refill bar replacing magic and ammo
I'm gonna have to stop you there. I've NEVER had a problem with running out of ammo and magic in Zelda, but I frequently found myself feeling a bit of pressure in ALBW because of the meter.
>>
>>343533238
>liking the knockoff more than the original

Millenials, everyone.
>>
ALBW only seems good because Zelda has been complete shit for a decade and a half.

It was mediocre as hell.
>>
>>343536147
It's 60 FPS anon.
>>
I liked that one boss with the shield
>>
>>343533238
Nobody feels that way.
>>
>>343533238
It would be, if it wasn't so easy.
>>
>>343534260
>long
Nigger what? It was pretty short and extremely easy so you would just blast through it in one go.
There was literally zero challenge in the game which kinda sucked.
If it would have been harder it might have been GOTYAY
>>
Not the best, but it does a much better job of recapturing what made LttP so great than say WW and TP do with OoT.
>>
>>343536964
>shitting on a someone for preferring a game that refined the formula for the better in just about every aspect over the original

Nostalgiatards, everybody.
>>
File: gabey.jpg (155 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
gabey.jpg
155 KB, 800x1200
>>343536479
>7 hours long to 100%

Not everyone speedruns games on their first playthrough, anon.
>>
YUGA

FLAWLESS FLAWLESS

YUGA
>>
>>343537175
Nah eat shit faggot.
>>
>>343536479
>7 hours long to 100%
My first playthrough took me 12 hours and I didnt even do any of the side quests
>>
Why is game length a measure of quality? I much rather play the Zeldas, Final Fantasies, and Dragon Quest games that used to be completable in 20 hours tops.
>>
>>343536885
You felt pressure from infinite items and/or magic?
Do you freak out with regenerating health/shields too?
>>
>>343533238
I don't know what's up with people falling in love with lazy rehashes
First this, then Mario 3D World, I'm probably forgetting something

What's up with Nintendo and stockholm syndrome? Really should just invent /vc/ - video game console wars where you can talk about first party titles since people have gotten religions over them
>>
It's good but I felt that it was a bit too familiar after ALTTP (yes, I know that it was intended to be similar, but did it have to be SO similar?) and like it has been already said, that item buying/renting system was stupid because it more or less limited all the puzzles in dungeons to rely on one item per dungeon.
>>
>>343538946
How is Mario 3D World a rehash? The only thing like it in previous 3D Mario games is the Sunshine bonus levels.
>>
>>343534260
That's called worth the price
Go back to your 2 hour cinematic games
>>
>>343538946
but you're the only one kicking up a fuss about consoles anon
>>
>>343539136
It's called padding and over staying it's welcome.
>>
>>343533238
No, but its good. The "choose your own dungeon order" fucked it over though
>>
>>343534656
>10 hours
nigga try 5
>>
>>343538946
I think you need to get over yourself anon.
>>
>>343539105
It's literally 3D Land, do you not own a 3DS? I get offended when people even refer to it as a 3D Mario game
>>343539215
Because this clearly has to do with it being made by Nintendo. People shit on 3DS exclusives all the time.
I'd put ALBW on the same level as Fire Emblem Awakening, but one of them is praised while the other is unanimously agreed to be one of the worst in the series
>>
>>343533238
The world being a carbon copy of LttP's removed the joy of exploring it, and every dungeon felt way too short and easy

It was ok but I don't know why people act like it's the second coming, I felt underwhelmed by it
>>
>>343539651
Have you even played 3D World? It makes 3D Land look like a beta. And both Awakening and ALBW are made by Nintendo, you dumb fuck.
>>
Insofar as 2D titles go I prefer the Oracles but otherwise it's pretty top tier.
>>
>>343539651
So is Super Mario Land literally Super Mario Bros?
>>
>>343539960
>Have you even played 3D World? It makes 3D Land look like a beta.
Considering it's "supposed" to be a mainline Mario, doesn't seem right comparing it to a handheld title. Especially one that wasn't received as the most perfect of games (on /v/ee at least).
>And both Awakening and ALBW are made by Nintendo
How new are you
Google Intelligent Systems
>>
No, but it's a really solid entry. I miss the 2D zeldas greatly.
>>
it would be worst game in the series if we ignored the wand of gamelon / faces of evil
>>
>>343533238
Nope.

But if its the best to you, then that is all that matters. Enjoy your game, anon. You don't need me to justify it.
>>
>>343538545
You just answered your own question.
>>
>>343540298
Who have never made a game for a non-Nintendo system and are given the reigns to Nintendo properties and is right next door to Nintendo's own head quarters. I guess Kirby isn't Nintendo either since it's made by HAL and not strictly Nintendo R&D. How new are you yourself?
>>
>>343540491

>ALBW
>worse than the DS Zeldas or the Four Swords titles

Nope.
>>
>>343539105
3D world is literally 3D land HD
>>
>>343540940
Ok so every series that has a portable series is just a rehash.
>>
>>343533238
It would be if the map was completely new. Now it's "just" definately amongst the top5.

>>343535331
>Complains about the lack of difficulty
>Minish Cap as a favourite
>>
>>343540848
owned != made
Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, Sony didn't make Crash or Jak and Daxter or anything else, numbskull
>>
>>343538326
then you're just bad at video games.
I bet you're one of those people that claim twilight princess is over 100 hours
>>
>>343535797
sure, if by best you mean brain dead easy and worst.
>>
>>343533238
that's not windwaker
>>
>>343540872
okay lets create a tier system

T1:
>Majora's Mask
>Ocarina of Time
>ALTTP
T2:
>Wind Waker
>Links Awakening
>Legend of Zelda
T3:
>Twilight Princess
>Oracle of Ages
>Oracle of Seasons
T4:
>Skyward Sword
>Link Between Worlds
T5:
>Phantom Hourglass
>Minish Cap
>Zelda II
>Wand of Gamelon/Faces of Evil
>Spirit Tracks
>>
>>343541314

Not him but I take my sweet time with vidya. ALBW took me about 20 hours.
>>
>>343537632
it often dips below 10 so i'm sorry, no it isn't
>>
>>343533238
>game is overhyped as fuck on /v/
>finally play it
>its LITERALLY a remake of ALttP but with new mechanics and characters

What the fuck is wrong with you faggot's taste?
ALttP was a okay Zelda at best too.
Best 2D Zelda will always be Awakening
>>
>>343541513

I strongly disagree with some of those - in particular I think WW is FAR too high - but mine as a whole would be much more subjective in nature so fuck it.
>>
>>343541723
Who would want a spiritual successor to a game that plays nothing like the original?
>>
>>343541201
To say there is favoritism towards R&D games over 2nd party games when hardly anyone knows the difference because there is practically no difference makes you numb skull, anon.
>>
>>343538719
He means the bar regenerates slowly so you can't spam items with impunity.

Don't even act like a faggot or meme lord; have you ever run out of ammo or magic in a Zelda game?
>>
>>343541961
>hardly anyone knows the difference
So why did people shit on Awakening and Pokemon when they're good games in the sense that ALBW is a good game
>>
>>343542149
Pokemon and Awakening get plenty of praise, anon.
>>
No, Oracle of seasons is.
Started with Link's awakening, loved it.
Saw lttl in stores but never got it for some reason. Eventually oot came out and it was great. Then mm followed and it was my favorite for a while, but it's not that replayable once you completed it entirely once. Got oos and ooa and while ooa is nice oos is the better half. Tried to play Zelda 1 and 2 on emulators but I hated them because reasons. Got lttp eventually on gba, got very far but dropped it cause it was slow and boring. Followed up with minish cap which I never finished because it got boring too. Played wind waker after which got one of the top positions. Twilight princess was cool but I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I played the gc version. Skyward sword killed the fucking series for me, I can't talk about it without ruining my fucking day. BoW gameplay looked great though so there's hope.

thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>343542512
By normies, people here HATE both of them quite a lot
>>
>>343542616
And the people here and bullshit memesters and their consensus on games shouldn't be taken seriously.
>>
File: 1354256963055.png (1008 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1354256963055.png
1008 KB, 1000x800
>>343539380
I spent an entire summer enjoying OOT, and then part of the fall goofing off on my friends version of MM. You sound like a fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1436615371968.gif (677 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1436615371968.gif
677 KB, 150x150
>>343543632
>my thirty second game is longer than your ten second game

Easy there.
>>
>>343535035
You spelled wrong it's "WAGGLE Sword"
>>
>>343541314
No I just took my time to enjoy it. Play a few of the mini games here and there too
>>
>>343541776
wind waker was a Tier 1 zelda game that was only half finished
if it actually had the amount of content the developers had planned for it instead of just completely missing half the game, it would be as good as ocarina of time or better
>>
>>343542712
>he likes awakening
>>
File: WVW69jQ0pWI7-1DdD-.jpg (46 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jQ0pWI7-1DdD-.jpg
46 KB, 800x450
It's the worst game in the series in my opinion, and I LOATHE Spirit Tracks.

The dungeons are all the same level of difficulty, just tailored to one particular item from Ravio's shop. Think about that for a second.

Think about the implications that that has. The reason dungeons in Zelda are themed isn't to change up the environment, or as an excuse so that you can get a particular item this place or that. The story couldn't care less which enemies you fight where, or why X item appears in Y place.

No. The reason they're themed is as a font for difficulty. What do I mean by that?

After LA, Zelda games ditched the "Dungeon Level" trend. The reason is because OoT being the first openworld game doesn't sell that theme well by having a numerical system. But there is a deeper reason. That is that it's a form of memorizing difficulty and establishing connection to the dungeon in a nonlinear thinking way. Everybody knows the suggested order: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow/Spirit.

But OoT isn't linear so if you're really playing it, you don't remember them that way. You remember them by how hard you perceive them. And that is distinguished by a theme, not a number.

As an extreme example:
Depending on who you are, you may want to do the Water Temple first, and get the hardest dungeon out of the way. But that means you have to be prepared with both Din's Fire and Farore's Wind. In doing that, you may realize it's actually easier than the Forest Temple. Suddenly the entire dynamic of the dungeon changes, and what the theme says about it. Meanwhile you may come upon the Forest Temple and find out nothing from the Fire or Water Temple help you complete that maze.

The entire time, the motif of theme keeps coming back. A Link Between Worlds is the first Zelda game to take all this and throw it out the window. Even though there are harder enemies in two of them, they all Level 1 dungeons because there's no way to prepare for them any differently.
>>
>>343533238
Worst art direction since toon link. Most psx games look way better. Arguibly the most uninspiring since its a rehash. Renting system just proves there's no reason to progress in Zelda games
>>
>>343547921
>most PSX games look way better
Maybe if you've only looked at screenshots on /v/. Game looks great on the hardware. The 3D is nice too, it's like looking in on a board game and doesn't hamper the framerate.
>>
>>343547653
tldr
All Zelda games are easy, even Zelda 2. If you want challenge, play dark souls.
>>
Nah. it's good but too easy and the mini games are shit
>>
>>343533238
no, but I did really like it.
>>
ALBW or MM.
>>
>>343547653
OoT isn't even fun though.
>>
>>343533238
I feel it had some of the best dungeons in the series, and believe it's the best top down Zelda.
>>
>>343548438
>dark souls
>hard
lmao
>>
>>343533238
WW
>>
>>343547653
Eh, not really. The theme doesn't indicate difficulty more than anything, and even at the time, most Zelda dungeons only required a couple items that mostly were your basic toolset in addition to the specific dungeon's item. Link Between Worlds doesn't actually stand out that badly in that aspect, and by having the item BEFORE you get into the dungeon at all they were able to expand the puzzles further to stretch that item's usage to its limits.
>>
>>343533238
So far, yep.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.