[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Finally clear out the first level >Find the elevator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: Sysshock.jpg (42 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
Sysshock.jpg
42 KB, 361x500
>Finally clear out the first level
>Find the elevator so I can move on
>This goofy shit starts playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2I7FN7fiKU
>Immediately as I open the door on the second floor there are at least 7 mutants waiting
>Panic as I try to kill them as fast as I can

System Shock 2 has been my favorite game for the longest time but I'm beginning to feel like I've been playing the wrong game all along
>>
System Shock 1 is filled with great moments like that. That particular one really got me and taught me to have several save files on hand.

One late-game boss saw me take every single drug I had in order to get the drop on it, which slo-mo'd the game, upped my strength, destroyed my vision - all leading to a circle-strafing, pipe-bashing, mob-killing whirl of carnage.
>>
just wait until you run into your first Cyborg Assassin

hope u got some teflon
>>
>>343532983

1 had the upper hand on 2 in some way but theyre both fantastic
>>
>>343533492
The assassins I haven't had too much trouble with. Hoppers on the other hand are kicking my ass.
>>
File: 20160630145831_1.jpg (509 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160630145831_1.jpg
509 KB, 1920x1080
I kinda feel the same. Nothing is more scary than SHODAN's face popping up ordering her cyborgs to kill you.
>>
System Shock 2 is to System Shock what Bioshock was to System Shock 2.
>>
>This goofy shit starts
>most famous elevator music ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
>>
>>343532983
Level 2 is where I really got into the game. It has the best music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkFgV4SY6x0
>>
I don't even know where the fuck to go in this game even with a map. I have all difficulty settings set to 1.
>>
>>343536017
It's pretty goofy in the context. I mean this is what you're getting before hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3u9vO9UUE
>>
>>343536529
>It's pretty goofy in the context
That's the joke...
>>
>>343532983
Isn't there a log in the first level that hints that you're supposed to use a grenade to take out all those mutants at once?
>>
>>343536412
for the first level, you need to get security to 0% in order to go to the next. After that, its exploration and goal based, you'll be going between places doing things. The logs and emails help you know what needs to be done.
>>
File: serial exbeariments lain.png (157 KB, 544x470) Image search: [Google]
serial exbeariments lain.png
157 KB, 544x470
It's too bad no enemy in the game is able to handle you leaning around corners.
>>
>>343536529

god that's fucking terrible
>>
>>343538140
they make up for it by killing you within 2 nanoseconds as soon as you're within their line of fire
>>
>>343537562
not zero but you do need to destroy the nodes to unlock the elevator
>>
>>343533492

Assassins are chump shit

invisible mutants are the hardest, most difficult cunts in all System Shock.
>>
>>343533390
it was the edward diego fight on the security level wasn't it
>>
>rollerskating down that ramp across the gap
>"Nice jump, insect"
>Borg ambush
I love you, SHODAN
>>
File: 1446143274218.webm (3 MB, 792x600) Image search: [Google]
1446143274218.webm
3 MB, 792x600
>>343541920
>>
Is System Shock 2 fine in it's vanilla state? I seem to be enjoying it so far, smashing spooky guys with my wrench, but I don't know if I should play the first game before SS2 or mod the current game.
>>
>>343542639
If you're enjoying it, it's totally fine. Most people played 2 before 1, you don't miss out on much.

Might be a bugfix patch you'd want to look into, but that'd be it
>>
>>343542639
of course, I just use SHTUP and maybe I re-textured the cyborg midwives to look cute because it amuses me
>>
>>343532983
whats on the cover of this game?
giant robot clamp holding someone so hard eyeballs pop?
some sort of M shaped helmet?
>>
File: JUST.jpg (63 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
63 KB, 633x758
>Its getting code FROM EVERY LEVEL for the reactor safety panel episode

KILL ME RIGHT NOW
>>
File: EliteCyborg.gif (60 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
EliteCyborg.gif
60 KB, 100x100
>>343543493
Cyborg Elite Guard.
Pretty fun enemies. I loved mowing down all those Elite Guards with my Skorpion trying to make my way to the last cyberspace jack to beat up Shodan.
>>
>>343543493
System shock, a hacker who fights against evil ultra-corporations in the name of freedom.
>>
>>343542639
It is fun, but has a weird balancing. I don't think there is a balancing patch though.

Like, early game is hard. End game is a walk in the park if you know what is worth putting points in. Which isn't exotic weapons.

Really, standard weapons are so powerful and versatile it's not even funny. The pistol is one of the best weapons in the game, doesn't cost much to upgrade, and comes with ammo for both all situations.

Psi powers are weird. I wanted to play a pure build of that since I like playing mage type characters, and while Cryostasis doesn't cost much, it doesn't do much damage either. So you have to whittle enemies' health away while your psi power gradually goes empty. And psi hypnos are the one thing that isn't plentiful in the game, especially at the beginning.

But running around at Sonic speed while invisible, strength buffed and having the enemy distracted by charming one of them is insanely fun.
>>
>>343539949
He left me no choice. In a fit of roid rage I bashed that spineless corporate cocksucker's head in.
>>
Is there any reason to get the enhanced version of SS1 on Steam when I got the "portable" mouselook enabled version a while back?
>>
>>343543640
The code isn't randomized if you're playing the Enhanced Edition.
>>
>>343545668
Unless the new version uprezzes the game and adds the Mac music... Even then it's not like the game is unplayable with the SSP version. Quite so actually.

I did not even use mouselook! The game controls super well without it.
>>
>Remake the System Shock game that no one ever played or liked

T-thanks Nightraven Studios
>>
>>343545668
Better performance, higher resolution. Not a massive difference but if you have the choice go for EE. Just make sure you dl the mod that fixes audiolog text so that it matches the audio, it's included with SSP but not EE.
>>
>>343542639
There's something you need to modify to fix the HUD scaling for higher resolutions, but besides that yes.
>>
>>343546172
But they're remaking 1, not 2.
>>
File: lvl0.jpg (1 MB, 4647x1799) Image search: [Google]
lvl0.jpg
1 MB, 4647x1799
>>
>>343544531

>Which isn't exotic weapons.

I did that once. The crystal thing wrecked some serious shit.

>But running around at Sonic speed while invisible, strength buffed and having the enemy distracted by charming one of them is insanely fun.

That sounds pretty fun. I might have to pay more attention to PSI powers next time.
>>
>>343542137
I've seen this exact webm. before. So you made this right? Everytime I think about this game I'm reminded of this
>>
>>343549392
Do you have the picture that shows the progression of level design from SS1 to Bioshock Infinite?
>>
SS1 has some the greatest vidya tracks I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUgojwub9U
>>
Why does the SS1 remake look so bad? I mean graphically it looks good, but it looks and plays like every other space FPS these days. Say what you will about the SS1 controls/UI, but at least it was unique and no other game played like it.
>>
>>343552329
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIMDilzrFjc
Cyberspace itself is still shit
>>
>>343542639
>>343548042
Find your SS2 folder and open cam_ext.cfg

Look for d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64 and simply erase the ; in front of it and then save

then the HUD will be scaled to the correct size for higher resolutions

I don't understand why they didn't have that option turned on by default desu senpai
>>
>>343553016

because they're trying to ride Alien Isolation and all the hide and seek games, the HUD is minimalistic, there are ridiculously long animations and the funky music is gone.

this is all because they want to turn it more 'atmospheric' and spooky while detracting from the gameplay, when System shock didn't bother with that and was just a fun as hell game.
>>
>>343553253
>the funky music is gone
No fuck off this can't be true. I thought maybe they didn't add the music in the demo yet, but are they really not using the music from the original game?
>>
>>343552329
SS1 soundtrack is GOAT
Executive Level best level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkOCAm-v0U

>>343553016
Because they're turning SS1 into something SS1 isn't.
>>
>>343553093
but I liked the cyberspace levels

I was disappointed that there weren't any in ss2
>>
>>343553016
Can't really complain about it personally, the shooting mechanics in SS1 were kinda shit, the combat in general was pretty weak. As long as they manage to give the final build of the game it's own identity unlike the proof of concept demo I'm ok.
>>
>>343553443

It's a stretch goal.

I think the remake looks fine, I don't know why people are pissy about the HUD. The inventory doesn't look great, but this is a pre-alpha game demo, they're a loooong ways off from finalizing things. I'm hoping they shorten the pick up animations too.
>>
>>343553443
They want to make it more orchestral but there's a decent remix of the intro theme in their soundcloud.
>>
>>343553557
it was a neat concept, but the controls should've been better or the environments a bit more spacious
It's kinda cool how the tiles on the walls are Conway's Game of Life
>>
System Shock 1 is a good game except for the part where you have to backtrack to rooms you forgot the location of and write down the numbers on the monitors.
>>
>>343553443
>>343553708
https://soundcloud.com/nightdivestudios/system-shock-soundtrack-zircon-jonathan-peros-ethical-constraints-removed-ss-intro-remix
>>
>>343553016
As much as people complain about the controls and UI, it was part of the original's identity. It's pretty unique for a real time 3d first person game to have a point and click mouse interface and that obviously has a big effect on how you play the game since it's how you interact with literally everything. It's not the same with an "improved" interface.

>>343553443
They've been talking about hiring an orchestra, because that's a great use of the funds of a low budget game.
They've also been talking about adding in SS2 style RPG progression.
>>
File: 1408168819117.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1408168819117.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
>>343553971
that sounds awful
>>
>>343554082
Better than the orchestral option.
>>
>>343553971
generic
>>
>>343554082
>SpongeBob reaction image
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>343554040
>They've also been talking about adding in SS2 style RPG progression.
oh god please no
>>
>>343553971

it's a pretty boring remix to be honest.

the Chicajo ones on youtube are far, far better.
>>
>>343553971
Sounds like a decent modernization of the old OST, but it sound less "weird" which was part of the charm.
>>343554186
It's okay, sounds pretty fitting for the most part albeit it has a more SS2 vibe.
>>
>>343554338

I *think* they reneged on that.
>>
>>343538818
Laser rapier annihilates them
>>
>>343536529
jesus thats awful
>>
>>343553971
I like it.
>>343554338
Only if they reach 1.9 million $ though, and if they include it I hope they also add a mode that excludes all the RPG mechanics and item machines to keep it like the original.
>>
I've only play SS2. What makes SS better?
>>
>>343554889
I wouldn't call it better, but it was really ahead of it's time. I personally like the exploration aspects a bit better and it has less pointless/unpolished mechanics so it feels a bit more focused, controls can be pretty awkward without the mouselook mod though. Cyberspace was a mistake though.
>>
>>343554889
>no crappy RPG stats
>more interesting level design
>Shodan is actually a threat to the player
>>
>>343554889
It's a really well designed dungeon crawler. It's exactly the kind of game it wants to be with very few missteps. SS2 is extremely sloppy and directionless in comparison.
>>
>>343555262

SS2 seemed fine to me until the Rickenbacker.
>>
>>343553663
>I think the remake looks fine, I don't know why people are pissy about the HUD. The inventory doesn't look great, but this is a pre-alpha game demo, they're a loooong ways off from finalizing things.

the beef i have with it is that it points towards a more style-oriented set up than the extremely practical HUD of SS1. Literally every gameplay mechanic was laid out in that frame, from the implant slots to the different categories of inventory, objetives and information.

the fact that they seemed to cut down on the audio logs is a massive red flag because putting together the story in order to decipher what you needed to do is the most characteristic thing of SS, having a simple "hey asshole go do X" message kills the involvement the player had with the game.

tel me, how long did it took you to figure out that you had to go pick up that radioactive thing to enable the shields BEFORE shooting the mining laser?
>>
>>343555331
SS2 isn't a bad game, but if you play SS1 after you slowly start to realize the flaws in 2. They're both masterpieces in my book.
>>
>>343554889
No overly-strict RPG system, you progress by exploring to find better equipment, more like a Metroid game than anything.
It doesn't completely fall apart during the last several hours.
SHODAN is a better adversary than The Many or SS2 SHODAN. She has more of a presence throughout the whole game and sets up all sorts of traps for the player along the way.

>>343554753
It just bothers my booty because SS1 was a reaction against the awkward clash between traditional RPG design and newer simulation inspired design in Ultima Underworld. Adding RPG elements to SS feels like it's sort of missing the point of what the game was doing.

>>343555358
To be fair I'm pretty sure somebody in the original game tells you outright that you must enable the shields before firing the laser.
>>
>>343555358

I haven't noticed audio log cut downs, but I haven't played the first game in like, 8 or so years. I'd have to play a bit of it to compare.
>>
>>343555358
>the fact that they seemed to cut down on the audio logs
Is this confirmed in any way? I always assumed that they weren't included in the demo because it's an early as fuck prototype that's mostly a proof of concept.
>>
>>343555550
>>343555519

they had the initial message from the infirmary on the demo from a couple months ago, along with the door code not written on the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns
>>
>>343555515
>It just bothers my booty because SS1 was a reaction against the awkward clash between traditional RPG design and newer simulation inspired design in Ultima Underworld. Adding RPG elements to SS feels like it's sort of missing the point of what the game was doing.
Does that surprise you considering how many people think System Shock is a horror game?
>>
>>343555749
Maybe they just didn't want retards already getting stuck in a short demo.
>>
>>343555550
I'm actually pretty happy with the demo. It might not be a faithful recreation of SS1 in every aspect but having a Kickstarter that actually includes a playable demo shows confidence in the devs. Also they can easily remove things if feedback is negative unlike projects that show the first playable demo months before release.
>>
>>343553016
It looks like another largely superficial remake. They're copying the appearance of the game, without really understanding what was underneath it.

And to try to balance out the stuff they're removing, they want to add bits from SS2 to make up for it. Which really misses the point.
>>
>>343556005

they're going to be their future players so maybe they'll dumb down the entire fucking game, i dunno.

there are certainly far harder puzzles in the original game. like, actual puzzles not just "actually listen to what the guy is saying you fucking ADHD-ridden brat" kind of challenge.
>>
>>343556005

Probably. You know someone wouldn't pay attention to the message, say the game is shit because they make it too hard to find the code, and not fund it.
>>
>>343556005
This, looking at some of the gameplay videos on youtube shows that a lot of retards weren't able to find some of the keycards or weren't even aware that cameras can be destroyed. Maybe they'll keep the puzzles that way if you select a low Puzzle difficult. Speaking of which, I really hope they include the old difficult system.
>>
>>343556020

Glad some people are reasonable. I don't like every single aspect of the demo either, but overall I'm satisfied. I'm not going to bitch unless they show off some bad decisions later on down the road when things are started to cement.
>>
>>343556313
>>343556337

the one thing from SS2 they could add to remedy that would be transcripts from the audio logs, specially if they're in low quality recordings.

that or maybe a small tutorial level for the sake of saying they didn't ommit any instruction.
>>
So should I take a brake from playing SS2 and try the first one? I'm not too far into it and I'm sure the first one would be more enjoyable for me.
>>
>>343556005
>there are people who legitimately dont know the 451 code
Fucking casuals
>>
>>343556480
The original also had transcripts. In fact I don't think the code was in an audiolog at all, it was in a text log the hacker wrote to himself.
>>
>>343556545
Depends how far into it you are.
>>
>>343556598
>The original also had transcripts

it did not, at least, i had absolutely no way of reading them.

SS had both audio logs and E-mails and they worked separatedly. SS2 merged them into messages.
>>
>>343556480

Yeah, transcripts would be cool. It's nicer than having to sit through most of an audio log because you forgot a code.
>>
Are there anymore FPS dungeon crawlers like SS1? I can't really find a game thats like it that isn't fantasy.
>>
>>343556313
>>343556280
I know some people will want to behead me for this opinion but the Remake needs to be both accessible for newer generations (retards who can't into puzzles) and the fans of the original. The original system shock had an excellent idea on how to handle difficult, so if they decide to bring it back they can make the easier difficulties more accessible for newer audiences while retaining the classic feel in the higher difficulty settings.
>>
>>343556780
Ultima Underworld if you consider that a FPS.
>>
>>343556692
Uh...I've gotten to the part where I am searching for Dr.Watts.
>>
>>343556545

Doesn't really matter. You can try if you want. SS2 is easier to get into, but SS1 is pretty great too. To be honest, I tried playing SS1, but I just could not get used to the weird ass controls, so I gave up after a little while and played SS2. Shortly after I finished it, the mouse-look mod came out and with that, I had much more fun and actually finished System Shock.
>>
>>343555550
It's strange, because in the project description they mention how remarkable the storytelling in SS1 was and how it set it apart from other games.

Then they don't include any of that in the demo, because it wasn't actually that important?

That they're apparently changing the story too makes me worried. Of all the things wrong with the original, the story wasn't something that needed fixing.
>>
>>343535485
accurate
>>
>>343556863
Not FPS as in first person perspective, but an actual shooter, with guns and shit. I love the idea of dungeon crawlers, but I really don't like playing fantasy games.
>>
>>343556814

Yeah, the old difficulty system or something like it would be great. Even Silent Hill 2 had separate combat and puzzle difficulties which was a great idea. Just make 0 an "All puzzles are solved for you" or "All puzzles are so easy a retarded 2nd grader could do them" and make actual puzzles on the other difficulty modes.
>>
>>343556863
UU is a lot harder to get into than SS1

too much RPG shit to deal with

RPG shit is why I liked SS1 better than SS2 in the first place
>>
>>343556714
No, there's even a mod to fix errors in the audiolog text.Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

>>343556885
That's not far at all, I'd say go try SS1.
>>
>>343556780

honestly? most doom clones from that era are closer to SS than other dungeon crawlers.

>>343556814

new players can eat a dick, man. People are crowdfunding this with their money, Fans of the original deserve to get what they want, new players deserve nothing, they are already getting an amazing chance to try something radically different from what they're used to and enjoy that experience anew.
>>
>>343556914

>That they're apparently changing the story too makes me worried.

I keep hearing people say this, but I haven't seen it myself. Is it on their Kickstarter page?
>>
>>343536529
man that's shitty
>>
>>343557054
The RPG elements in UU aren't nearly as bad as they are in SS2.
>>
>>343557126
all they said is they might add some new sections or new missions to do

I don't recall them saying they'd change the story at all

I just hope they don't take out cyberspace
>>
>>343557163

stop samefagging already
>>
>>343556714
SS1 was first released on floppy disks, which didn't have any audio for logs/email. Only the later CD version added that.

So there's definitely transcripts for all logs.
>>
>>343556780
ss1 is fantasy though
>>
>>343557178
I don't even know how the fuck to level up my character

I found some chants on the wall of the first ankh room and all they do is assign points randomly

at least in SS2 I knew what the hell I was upgrading and I didn't have to look all over the place for magic chants
>>
>>343557070
>new players can eat a dick, man. People are crowdfunding this with their money,
Yes because the devs will have more than enough with the money of the kickstarter right? Face it, this is a business and there's a perfect way to sell the game to new players without having to ruin the experience for the fans of the original. I really wish this was some kind of dreamland in where game development was cheap and easy as fuck to produce but they also want to revive interest in the franchise with new fans and make some money in the process.
>>
>>343557315
Because it definitely has mystical creatures and bows and swords and shit.

Science Fiction != Fantasy
>>
File: systemshock-spot1.png (512 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
systemshock-spot1.png
512 KB, 640x480
>>343556814
I don't know why they didn't include the autohelp the original game had. It literally pointed out the things you had to look at and do like you were a special needs child.
>>
>>343556895
like just get enhanced version it has mouselook built in and still retains all the ui interaction
>>
>>343542137
oh so that's how you were supposed to cross that gap

I just used the jump thrusters
>>
>>343557450
>Face it, this is a business and there's a perfect way to sell the game to new players without having to ruin the experience for the fans of the original.

it's called Marketing. Run word of mouth, tell people it's a hard game for true gamers, overblow how difficult it is so people come in expecting it

it worked for Dark Souls, it's absolutely not a hard game but normalfags treat 'OOOOOHHH DARK SOULS" as a meme.
>>
File: 1461151268383.jpg (72 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1461151268383.jpg
72 KB, 540x540
>>343557035
>Give different names to the difficulty settings like in Doom/Wolfenstein.
>Name the lowest puzzle difficulty "Wait a second that card" or something.
>>343557070
This elitism is what kills most of these titles man.
>>
>>343556780
pretty much just ultima underworld series and arx fatalis
>>
>>343557482

Probably because people these days are scared of reading, and being greeted with a wall of text would overwhelm them and scare them off.
>>
File: 43657874.png (99 KB, 934x206) Image search: [Google]
43657874.png
99 KB, 934x206
>>343557274
are there any fixes for the shit audio logs? i cant focus on messages when they dont say the same shit. have to turn them off

>>343557474
pic related
>>
>>343542137
I love how once you made that jump, a SHODAN compliments you and opens a bunch of doors with enemies behind them. Good stuff.
>>
>>343557361
All the chants you find are assigned specific skills. If you wanted a specific skill, you had to find the chant (or look it up online), find a shrine, and enter that chant in as many times as you want that skill to level up. Very confusing, but it's not as bad as people think.
>>
>>343557223
I'm okay with some extra background details or audiologs that expand on the story as long as they don't decide to retcon most of it.
>>
i dont get why people complain about the first being "hard to get into" when enhanced edition exists
>>
File: 3524354786.png (4 KB, 617x165) Image search: [Google]
3524354786.png
4 KB, 617x165
>>343557738
wrong one sorry
>>
>>343557361
part of the fun of ultima is figuring out how the world works and how you interact in it
>>
>>343557836
It is quite an ugly and clunky game with several questionable design choices
>>
>>343557641
>it worked for Dark Souls
Because Dark souls is more focused in combat. SS1 has more puzzles, exploration and resource management which is a harder sell for newfags. Also marketing can be expensive as fuck in most cases, specially considering that this is a kickstarter project and not something produced by a big company.
>>
>>343557738
www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=802.0
>>
>>343557921

CASUAL HERESY is what some anons will call this post.
>>
>>343557921
You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Yes the UI is dated and can be difficult at first to learn where everything is, but after a couple minutes of playtime you quickly learn how everything works.
>>
>>343557649
>This elitism is what kills most of these titles man.

is it elitism to have a higher expectations from the average consumer? that makes me sad.

>>343558032
>Also marketing can be expensive as fuck in most cases, specially considering that this is a kickstarter project and not something produced by a big company.

posting on /v/ and reddit once a week saves you millions
>>
>>343553971
Compared to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CalFsdE4tA
>>
>>343555358
>tel me, how long did it took you to figure out that you had to go pick up that radioactive thing to enable the shields BEFORE shooting the mining laser?
I'm playing for my first time and I found an audio log saying how you could shoot the laser prematurely but it might already be aimed at where SHODAN wanted and that activating the shields before shooting it would overload the laser and destroy it. I still shot the laser for shits just to see what would happen and if the game would even let me do it to begin with, I was pleasantly surprised when it did.
>>
Off topic but any opinions on the new Underworld?
>>
>>343558107
Knowing how to navigate it does not make it any less unpleasant to use
>>
>>343558178
god damn the intro for Shock 1 is just amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2BEXJ4IKc
>>
>>343557126
They've talked about reshaping the narrative a few times. One of the first bits of concept art released changes the origin of the humanoid mutants at least (to bioengineered workers created by trioptimum rather than crew mutated by releasing the virus).
>>
>>343558202
I don't understand why shodan didn't just have a cyborg assassin go press the button.
>>
>>343557921
But it looks great and controls better than most modern games.
>>
>>343558032

>Also marketing can be expensive as fuck in most cases

That's why they just change things, so nerds will rage and people will hear about it all over. Like what happened with #FE.
>>
>>343558206

It has Stephen Russell in it.

Day 1 buy.
>>
QUICK
TELL ME YOUR FAVORITE LEVEL IN SS1
>>
>>343558259

>One of the first bits of concept art released changes the origin of the humanoid mutants at least (to bioengineered workers created by trioptimum rather than crew mutated by releasing the virus).

Disgusting.
>>
>>343558346
If you say so
>>
>>343558124
>is it elitism to have a higher expectations from the average consumer? that makes me sad.
BIg difference between higher standards and elitism. Including an option that simplifies puzzles/exploration for the new players doesn't ruin the experience for the player that wants the classic feel of the game and this doesn't ruin the standards of the title. Excluding and not taking into consideration these newer audiences won't benefit the title in any way and will lower the sales dramatically.
>posting on /v/ and reddit once a week saves you millions
And then people start complaining about shills and everyone hates the entire fanbase, no thanks.
>>
>>343558346

Not really.
>>
>>343557482
i've played the game dozens of times over the years but i still turn the on line help on every game, i love that shit
>>
File: shodan tsundere.jpg (137 KB, 900x678) Image search: [Google]
shodan tsundere.jpg
137 KB, 900x678
>>343558202
>tfw I pre-emptively shot the laser

>>343558447
Executive Level
>>
>>343557070
>they are already getting an amazing chance to try something radically different from what they're used to
Not if the remake stays its course with how the demo is and doesn't include the point and click interface. As it is its just a first person shooter with SS1 maps, but the similarities will end there.
>>
File: 1462992993906.jpg (23 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1462992993906.jpg
23 KB, 400x267
>>343542137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQ-0CqHHuY

At least she didn't crash your game. SHODAN is a fuckin bitch.

But yea this game has great level design. Theres a playthrough of the game on youtube with the original devs. Lots of interesting commentary, such as the fact that they purposefully put the cyborg assassins in the statistically least likely places you are to look.

>>343532983

I felt the same way, played both for the first time back to back to completion about a year ago. I enjoyed SS1 more, it felt unique, immersive and most importantly, consistent. SS2 felt a bit too Half-Lifey, the RPG elements did not seem well balanced and the game loses traction near the end. I don't hate SS2 or anything, but it definitely doesnt feel like a consistent experience compared to SS1. I also love the metroidvania aspect of SS1 over the RPG elements.
>>
>>343558507
>And then people start complaining about shills and everyone hates the entire fanbase

hasnt stopped them so far
>>
>>343555515
>SHODAN is a better adversary than The Many or SS2 SHODAN. She has more of a presence throughout the whole game and sets up all sorts of traps for the player along the way.

In SS SHODAN is just an antagonist. A pretty novel one and she exhibits a lot of interest in you, but that's about it. In SS2 she has a much better dynamic with you as you're left to judge to what extend can you trust her and how will it all play out in the end. I think it's one of the first games that shined the light on procedurality in vidya, at least as far as mainstream games go. The issue was also brought up in Bioshock. It was a nice touch, which I realised only years later.

>>343555262

SS' first levels embody the worst traits of level design which, in my eyes, is much worse than whatever balance flaws SS2 had. Then again, the first time I played SS2 I was so scared I ubermenshed on the first deck. The tension only dropped as I found the Assault Rifle on the Hydroponics deck.

Honestly, SS1 was too goofy, the only tense moments was on Maintenance Level.
>>
>>343558259
That sounds awful. It's not creepy at all.
>>343558439
Really? It's great to see him back in so many titles nowadays.
>>
>>343558206
the context-sensitive magic system seems pretty neat
>>
>>343558447
level 1 so far
but im only on level 2
>>
>>343557223
>I just hope they don't take out cyberspace
That they didn't mention cyberspace at all in the project description makes me think it's won't be included. Which would be a shame, because I'd always hoped a SS1 remake would expand on it and try to better integrate it into the game.
>>
File: cdshock_095[1].png (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cdshock_095[1].png
71 KB, 640x480
>>343558447
Motherfucking storage level 4.
I think it's the smallest level but that only means it has the highest concentration of fun. And it has the big red slide.
>>
File: ohshi.png (110 KB, 269x271) Image search: [Google]
ohshi.png
110 KB, 269x271
>>343558447

The last one, can't remember what it's called, the one that's all white with bones. Only level that genuinly creeped me out.

>that part where you have hack while SHODANs face slowly covers the screen
>>
>>343558447
The final level, forget the name. Shit was intense.
>>
>Whenever you are in an irradiated area there is ear-splitting static screeching

Hope they bring this wonderful feature back
>>
>>343558447
I like the level where you jettison the groves
>>
>>343558206
Environments look nice, systems look interesting but unpolished, character models (the skeletons) look like dogshit. Too early to tell if it will be good or bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJHpb46-WCY
>>
>>343558206
Ugly as sin but might be cool nonetheless.
The devs said enough to convince me they at least understand why their old games were great (more than can be said about SS1R and most other remakes/revivals) but haven't shown enough to convince me they can pull it off.

At the very least I can try to pull out Stephen Russell's new lines and try to use them in Thief FM's.
>>
i wonder how they will mess up cyberspace
>inb4 reverse
>>
File: image.jpg (642 KB, 2768x1022) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
642 KB, 2768x1022
>>343551420
>>
>>343558731

While I agree with most of what you're saying here, there's one little thing

>In SS2 she has a much better dynamic with you as you're left to judge to what extend can you trust her and how will it all play out in the end.

I think SS2 is infinitely better than SS1, though 1 is by no means a bad, but lets not pretend as if the average player won't see betrayal coming. I at least never once doubted that she would betray me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MoEeo9B-U
I agree with most of this guy's opinions
>>
>>343558863
Executive. That's also my favorite.
>>
>>343558878
Good to see the focus on EMERGENT GAMEPLAY, I really hope they polish those graphics though since I really like the idea of trying to make the creatures look like tabletop RPG figurines instead of photo-realistic creatures but so far the models look a bit too potato.
>>
>>343558226
navigating the ui is fun as hell anon
>>
>>343559192
I don't think anyone doubted whether or not she'd stab you in the back, just how and when
>>
File: humanoid-mutant.png (417 KB, 563x563) Image search: [Google]
humanoid-mutant.png
417 KB, 563x563
>>343558457
>>343558753
I think they saw the big bulbous eyes on the original mutants and felt the need to explain it in some way.

I have to admit I thought they were huge eyebrows at first.
>>
>>343559357
They need to change that shit. Sounds pretty goofy instead of something horrifying like the entire crew being transformed into mutants and cyborgs.
>>
After I'm done with System Shock 1, are there any tips I should know of before going into System Shock 2 or can I hop in blind and not be able to fuck up things too much like in Deus Ex and leveling swimming?
>>
>>343558457
>>343559357

And now I've instantly lost all faith in this remake
>>
File: turned on.jpg (96 KB, 566x413) Image search: [Google]
turned on.jpg
96 KB, 566x413
>tfw vaguely aroused by SHODANS insults
>>
>>343558447
Layout: Executive
Music: Research
Ramps: Storage
>>
>>343559253
There's better videos where the FOV isn't 60 on youtube.
>>
SS1 IS BETTER.

BUT SS2 HAS THE COMFIEST FUCKING LEVELS MID-END GAME WITH THE BRIDGE AND REC.

JESUS REC IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sUSyAFDzZw
>>
>>343558259
>They've talked about reshaping the narrative a few times

That's an incredibly bold move. The narrative in both games is absolutely phenomenal and, as far as I can tell, the way to pace and tell the story through audio logs was completely novel. Spoken lines added so much more charm than mere information stashed away in books or scrolls.
>>
>>343559357
>I think they saw the big bulbous eyes on the original mutants and felt the need to explain it in some way.
You mean some way other than "It's a mutation"?
>>
>>343559520
change the default keybindings

also do this >>343553141

that's about it
>>
>>343559520
invest in standard weapons and hacking and you should be good
>>
>>343559596

I think we all get turned on by SHODAN.
>>
>>343559079
Requesting more pics like these shitting on Infinite.
>>
>>343559520
When you hit Recreation(this is rather later) just remember that you will find an audio log saying YOU NEED TO FUCKING FIND CODES ON TVs ALL OVER REC AND PLACES 1 NUMBER AT A TIME.

You can do 1 of 2 things.

Cheat and just google it.

Pen and Paper because you 100% need it at that part because the numbers are not in order.

Thats it, im only saying this because its a really BS part A LOT of people get stuck on because you can miss being told what is an extremely widespread objective.
>>
>>343559520
your inventory is more limited in SS2 than the first game, so store shit you can't carry in the elevators, they'll be there on every level
>>
http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/SHODAN
>SHODAN became the proper noun that replaced Hitler as the archetypal reference to evil.
That's pretty rad
>>
>>343559596
>RUNNIN DOWN THE CITADEL HALLS WITH A HUGE BONER
>>
>>343559193
I really do think the fact that the remake is being made on XBONE and for the "modern audience" is a fucking mistake. The coolest part about SS1 was it's complexity, and taking that away really deters from the game as a whole. And the fact that they just straight up removed the HUD actually makes me a big angry.

I feel as if this might be another nostalgia driven remake that in the end will be nothing but mediocre. My only hope will be that hey prove me wrong.
>>
>>343559881
SHODAN did nothing wrong!
>>
File: 1449592064618.jpg (508 KB, 1214x816) Image search: [Google]
1449592064618.jpg
508 KB, 1214x816
I've always considered Shock 1 to be Looking Glass Studio's true masterpiece. But I guess you could say that about any of their games really.
>>
>>343559797
thanks for triggering me anon

finding those painting codes was even worse than finding the reactor codes from the first game
>>
File: 1467260148262.png (206 KB, 343x358) Image search: [Google]
1467260148262.png
206 KB, 343x358
>>343559520

Sink enough points into strength or whatever it is that lets you carry better armour, because you're gonna need it. I made the mistake of not doing so and getting absolutely destroyed by the final boss.

Try to save some of your nanites or sink some points into hacking until you're good at it. I don't wanna spoil anything but there will come a point where you WILL need it to progress. SS2 will flat out block your progress until you get one of those.

I'm gonna try to be as vague for this one as possible, so as not to spoil anything: There will be fight in a big chamber towards the end of the game. There will be a big thing in the middle of the room, a couple of other things floating around it and lots of enemies in the chamber. Don't try kill the enemies first, they'll just keep spawning. Shoot the things that are floating around in the air, then jump up and go down the hole.

Sounds weird as fuck, I know, but you'll understand when you play it.
>>
>>343560171
SS2's level design is more linear yet less intuitive than SS1, it's amazing how they managed that
>>
I, honestly, haven't played SS1 but the change of 451 being in a terminal or whatever it was to le mysterious bloody digits alone makes me worry for the remake a lot.
I seriously hope they unfuck their shit. They do have plenty of time after all.
>>
File: trap.jpg (122 KB, 326x313) Image search: [Google]
trap.jpg
122 KB, 326x313
Would you?
>>
>listen to /v/ and try system shock 2
>"GET THE KEYCARD TO GET THE KEYCARD TO GET THE KEYCARD TO GET THE ID CARD TO GET THE KEYCARD..."
>Those shit-tier enemies
>that shitty wannabe-rpg skill system

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>343559192

The first time I played the game I honest to God didn't know how was it going to end. SHODAN was still a misanthrope but her praise laden with scorn made me think she genuinely appreciated me, moreso after that one very important Rickenbacker e-mail.

Then again, throughout the entire game I was still under the impression SHODAN's reveal left on me. That is seriously one of the greatest scenes in video games ever made and I'm thankful it's not on people's list so that they won't be spoiled. Hopefully it'll never be as bad as it was with Spec Ops: The Line and the never-ending line of fuckwits walking into threads, proclaiming the game never had any impact on them.
>>
File: 1466683699986.jpg (7 KB, 212x185) Image search: [Google]
1466683699986.jpg
7 KB, 212x185
>that long fucking healing station animation in the remake
>>
>>343560476
Did they get rid of the hacking terminal to the left after you leave the med bay to get down the hidden elevator? If not what's it like?

sorry for asking but i can't actually run the demo on my computer
>>
>>343559502
Well the crew have still all been turned into mutants and cyborgs. It's just in the original the mutants were mindless and feral, whereas now they're controlled by Shodan.

Which neatly deals with the issue of why the mutants didn't attack the cyborgs and robots.
>>
What if SS3 is about helping SHODAN?
And not like the truce you had going on in 2 but like, finding a bit of her in some wreckage, building a little shine for her in a maintenance closet, bashing a dude's head in with a pipe for threatening to rat you out, becoming a cyborg, that sort of stuff
>>
Blake, do your homework
>>
Is there a way to make mouse look possible?
>>
>>343560653
Perhaps. It's pretty much confirmed that Shodan will be a physical person in 3 if they go off the ending from 2.
>>
>>343560563

I unfortunately knew what was going to happen because I'd played Bioshock beforehand.
>>
>>343560638
The very first code (451) is written beside the door in blood. In the original you had to find it in an email terminal or some shit. That's what I've heard, at least.
>>
>>343559596
>implying the sole I'm still playing and ruining SHODAN's plans isn't just so that she'll insult me more
>>
>>343560625
All of the animations are so fucking annoying. The pipe pickup lasts like 6 seconds. I understand maybe grabbing it off the ground, but waving it around like a retard serves zero purpose. I really hope they change this type of stuff in the final game.
>>
>>343560638

It's the same, but there's no separate screen for it, you just play with it on the wall.
>>
>>343559624

That OST is anything but comfy. Oppressive and unrelenting, more like.
>>
File: 1463416064661.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
1463416064661.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
>>343558251
>With all ethical constraints removed, Shodan reexamine--
>I REEXAMINE MY PRIORITIES
>>
File: dwarf1.jpg (129 KB, 590x285) Image search: [Google]
dwarf1.jpg
129 KB, 590x285
>>343560563
>yfw The Polito form is dead, insect.
>>
>>343559624
>muh comfy

I want this meme to die.
>>
File: hot.png (53 KB, 233x194) Image search: [Google]
hot.png
53 KB, 233x194
>>343560476

I'm honestly tempted to write to them and maybe not very politely ask them why.

>>343560625

The healing station didnt bother me at all.

Those animations when you pick up stuff did however.

>>343560653

>SHODAN starts out by insulting you relentlessly, calling you completely human disgusting
>slowly eases off as you get more upgrades
>by the time you're more machine than man, she actually starts giving you minor compliments
>>
Nothing too interesting but here's some of Warren Spector's SS1 videos from 1994.
http://av.cah.utexas.edu/index.php?title=WSpector:Dv_00124
http://av.cah.utexas.edu/index.php?title=WSpector:Dv_00102
>>
>>343560563

>Specc Ops The Line
>that white poshpour part
>that part where you can shoot the civilians

I'm not saying it changed my life or anything but it did disturb me at times.
>>
>>343560849
Alright, that's good at least

>>343560785
I can see it being neat to show off the designs of the later weapons, you never got a great sense of them in the original
>>
I really hope they include a difficult option that nerfs the healing/energy stations. Something I never enjoyed in the original game is that cheesing the enemies and just recovering by going back to the start was way too effective.
>>
>>343559672
>To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock.
I'm not sure it's suggesting they will be changing it significantly.
>>
Nightdive should stick with reviving older games instead of REMAKING older games.

Or just give Otherside more money so they can make Underworld Ascendant better.
>>
>>343561503
careful what you wish for anon, noone's gonna be happy if we get regenerating health
>>
>>343561545
The revisioned System Shock isn't so bad, just the music really and apparent removal of having to read audio logs to obtain necessary information.
>>
the problem with System Shock 2 is that they made the Many more interesting than SHODAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME
>>
>>343561503
>Going back to healing pods
>not just dying and getting revived for free at the reform station anyway and saving you half a trip
>>
>>343561503
I thought this was intentional, to backtrack for supplies if needed. All older games were like that.
>>
>>343560726
Please respond.
>>
File: pic9[1].png (88 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pic9[1].png
88 KB, 640x480
>>343532983
I like their other game better.
>>
File: 1464744879995.gif (1 MB, 500x258) Image search: [Google]
1464744879995.gif
1 MB, 500x258
why remake an entire game when the enhanced edition is literally perfect?
>>
>>343561730
And it's just the pre-alpha so maybe they'll change it back or even add an option to select what kind of music you want to hear.
>>343561810
Also this. Trying to survive felt pointless thanks to this.
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 335x161) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9 KB, 335x161
>>343561175
wew lad
>>
>>343560726
>>343561886
Enhanced Edition on Steam has mouselook enabled, default key to activate/deactivate it is E so you can switch from mouselook to point&click at will.
>>
>>343561730
What did they do to the music?
The Mac versions were great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk
>>
>>343560726
>>343561886

Don't you just press U and it changes to mouselook?
>>
>>343561975
Terra Nova is criminally underrated.
>>
>>343561975
I never played TerraNova, is it good?
>>
>>343562060

E
>>
File: terra nova.png (475 KB, 921x613) Image search: [Google]
terra nova.png
475 KB, 921x613
>>343561975
I never noticed it until yesterday but I think they recycled this from the end of SS1 for the design of the suits in TNSFC.
>>
>>343562034
Ahhh shit, thanks anon
>>
>>343562176
Looking Glass was always subtly recycling assets.

The steam machine sounds in >>343562038
can be heard in the hammerite forge in the second level of Thief 1
>>
>>343562176
TNSFC?
>>
>>343562440
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4WtUp7hDw

>>343561175
http://av.cah.utexas.edu/index.php?title=WSpector:Dv_00098
very aesthetic
>>
>>343562090
awkward controls, no replayability.

But massive open levels, reflective water and AIs that know what they're doing.
The game was ahead of it's time.

>The back of my manual still promises that MP pack that never came :(
>>
File: AutoBomb.gif (12 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
AutoBomb.gif
12 KB, 100x100
>on the one hand, you've got the Cortex Reaver, the Mutants and SHODAN and her threats
>on the other hand, you've got the Hoppers, which look like something out of Red Dwarf, and these adorable fuckers.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one that costantly went back and forth between taking SS1 dead seriously and laughing at it.
>>
>>343562687
Don't fucking joke about those auto bombs. I still have flashbacks to that one area where the infinitely respawn.
>>
>>343562687

the corporate espionage/corruption subplot sounded straight out of a movie like Robocop, i just sat back and enjoyed that silly pseudo-satire feel.
>>
>>343562687
Those pieces of shit were nightmarish on the bridge. I died in that fucking maze more than I did in the entire game before it.
>>
So who else blew up the earth on accident?
>>
>>343562687
I used to laugh at Hoppers too, but after having them tear me a new asshole multiple times my laughter stopped.
>>
>>343561748
>the Many more interesting than SHODAN

They played off each other, both representing two different aspects of transhumanism - either through biological or technological "evolution". Yet, despite the differences, they both ultimately end with the death of the individual - either lost in the collective consciousness or subjugated by the artificial thought process. Both employed "hybrids": humans combined with alien elements - annelid and machine, respectively. Both used creations they seemingly despised: mutants, cyborgs and robots.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.