[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else starting to find they prefer a straightforward linear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
File: 1428440530619.jpg (68 KB, 836x673) Image search: [Google]
1428440530619.jpg
68 KB, 836x673
Anyone else starting to find they prefer a straightforward linear game to an open world one?
Maybe with 1 or 2 choices or something to influence the story but not always necessary.

I mean what's suppose to be so good about open world games anyway?
>>
>>343523502
Because you can go anywhere and do anything in open world :^)

Hub world + fleshed out locations > linear > shitty bland open world
>>
File: th (2).jpg (12 KB, 225x245) Image search: [Google]
th (2).jpg
12 KB, 225x245
>>343523502
farming
>>
Kagney
>>
why "Vertigo"?
>>
>>343523837
Because he's a cuck.
>>
>>343523502
>what's suppose to be so good about open world games anyway?
when it's good: immersion. case in point: Stalker.
>>
I got Total War Attilla, then Rome 2, then Warhammer in the past six months. I don't know if I'm capable of playing linear games anymore. I'm getting too used to thinking really hard about planned conquests it would be weird not to be thinking ahead
>>
>>343523878
that doesn't make any sense

inb4 "he's of african descent, u sxpect senes???" nigga if u don't know then you can just say so
>>
Open world games are fine as long as they're dense and interesting enough to justify their size.
However this pretty much never happens because its very easy to market the size of your game when you never have to mention how much you can actually do in it.
>>
File: Totem_Poles.jpg (3 MB, 2311x2900) Image search: [Google]
Totem_Poles.jpg
3 MB, 2311x2900
>>343523502
daily activities
>>
File: Dense Scrolls unfinished.jpg (645 KB, 1928x1708) Image search: [Google]
Dense Scrolls unfinished.jpg
645 KB, 1928x1708
>>343523502
as this guy:>>343523718
points out, it's not that they're "open world", it's the way they go about it. Open world for some reason instantly means as big of a map as possible with repetitive content spread out across this 99% barren map. Meanwhile, smaller hub areas densely filled with content, or something which have hardly even been tried like pic related would also be an interesting way of trying out an open world game.
"Freedom" has been confused with "Giant maps" which is a shame.
>>
>>343523502
I really like open world sandboxes and have liked them since I played one as a kid.
Looking forward to NMS next month for that reason.
Though I do like to play a linear game, that isn't hand holding but I know exactly what I need to do and where I need to go.
>>
The open world meme has to die. Just thorwing shitty questhubs left and right from the main questline does not work for every game.
Nobody asked for an open world for MGS or mirror's edge
>>
>>343524614
>Nobody asked for an open world for MGS or mirror's edge
They did, that's the problem.
>>
>>343524614
some games do them right though. GTA is one of the best, and this new zelda looks like it may be bretty gud.

the worse is ubisoft games, just filler everywhere. shit side quests and collectables
>>
File: 1467431311179.jpg (155 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1467431311179.jpg
155 KB, 540x720
>kinear games?
>bruh, if i wanted to watch a movie I would watch a movie
>>
>>343524869
Some games that always built on that like GTA are fine, but not other companies jumping on the open world wagon like it has to be done in 2016.
The only games that have real worlds are mmos anyway
>>
"Linear is bad" is the worst meme opinion the /v/ collective ever got infected with.
I hope every parroting retard on here had fun doing jack shit in MGSV when the LINEAR games were a million fucking times better.
>>
File: 1450418362551.png (844 KB, 719x501) Image search: [Google]
1450418362551.png
844 KB, 719x501
>>343523718
>Hub world + fleshed out locations > linear > shitty bland open world
>>
File: 1466580998092.gif (3 MB, 235x290) Image search: [Google]
1466580998092.gif
3 MB, 235x290
>>343526228
>Hub world + fleshed out locations > linear > shitty bland open world

why ya both giving a free pass for the hub world. fair thing to do would be the following

>Hub world + fleshed out locations > linear + fleshed out location > open world + fleshed out locations
>>
File: 1465584206856.png (2 MB, 1781x1011) Image search: [Google]
1465584206856.png
2 MB, 1781x1011
>>343524869
>Not a huge fan of "holy shit, you can do everything in this sandbox environment! Let's take my car to a carwash" type of games.
>Think GTA V is **literally** the most overrated game of current consoles.
>Don't thinks it is objectively bad, just really not my cup of tea.
>Friends won't stop badgering me about getting it to play online.
>Ask them why I should invest.
>You can ride around and do whatever you want. I haven't even touched the single player XD
>Tell them I'm not spending $40-60 on a game I'm not going to enjoy for some shit sandbox multiplayer.
>Proceeds to send me screenshots of the cars in his virtual garage.

I'll never understand why people get such a hard on for GTA. I don't even know if V even has a decent story because the only thing i see people do is run around kill random shit with no consequence. It attempts to do everything all at once, and makes it all slightly shitty. Driving, shooting, character controls. I wouldn't be so damn salty if my friends could just accept that not everyone has to suck rockstar's dick for gta.

Thanks, /v/, I needed that.
>>
File: Castlevania_NES_box_art.jpg (59 KB, 350x493) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_NES_box_art.jpg
59 KB, 350x493
>>343523502

Almost always

Open World can be fun, too, but they always lack structure for obvious reasons. I prefer games that are basically a set of tools and a set of structured problems to solve with those tools.

Pic very related.
>>
Open-world games have potential to be the absolute best, but nobody has been able to pull it off and they end up becoming bland/empty.

What I would like to see is a compact game with an incredible modding toolset, so that people could create their own modules, kind of like NWN 1.
>>
>>343526537
>I'll never understand why people get such a hard on for GTA
I actually enjoyed GTAO on last gen console, but as soon as they added that content creator and then "exclusive" crap that you need to grind money for it went to cancer.
in the beginning it was a new game compared to single player, loads of options of things to do and most people were not so toxic, then it ended up people grinding cash on the same missions UGC crappy races with stupid stunt jump, that are uncompletable.
it just went down the drain and is full of squeakers now.
>>
>>343523502
I feel you man, I don't like open world either. The perfect settings for me are the ones provided by Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: HR. You go from map to map to do things as you would in a an open world game, but in a much more restricted and rich setting.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.