[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just played this for the first time since its free on PSN right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13
File: image.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Just played this for the first time since its free on PSN right now. Went in blind not even knowing the genre, I thought it would be like Limbo or something. Was surprised that it was 3D graphics and first person.

Anyway, it was kinda interesting I guess.

What does /v/ think?
>>
It's for faggots
Not a game
Can beat it in 30 seconds

Fuck off.
>>
>>343514862
>Fuck off
It must suck having such a miserable life that you're angry all the time.
>>
I liked the 90's nostalgia. Honestly though I'm fine with walking simulators, but was still disappointed. I was hoping to find the sister dead in the attic or some other scary shit to happen. Probably because it used the Amnesia engine and the atmosphere always felt uncomfortable.

Still, for what it was, it was alright for a single "playthrough", nowhere near as good as the general population consider it though.
>>
Get ready to be extremely disappointed when you realize it's just a story about a dyke. Listen to this anon >>343514862

It's not a game and it's for faggots
>>
>>343514645
It's like a really bad grunge band from Seattle.
>>
I played it too back when I was watching that Lego movie.
>>
What theory's did you have during your first playthrough?
>>
I hate how the beginning of the game and a couple of points mid game makes you believe it's horror but it's not

should've been a haunted house simulator
>>
>>343515117
Because of the book called "how to make friends" I thought that Lottie was an imaginary friend and Sam was just playing a prank on her sister by hiding in the house somewhere.
>>
File: 1451958640918.jpg (82 KB, 432x576) Image search: [Google]
1451958640918.jpg
82 KB, 432x576
>>343514914
The thing is, this must be your first day on /v/
If youve been here in the last 3 years you'd know that everyone and their grandchildren condemn this game.

But here is a real answer for you:
I played it yesterday for the first time aswell despite all the hate and I have to say, the first 10 min where really entertaining.
Then its the same fucking shit over and over again until the end of the game. No pace, no change, nothing.

It wouldve been a great horror game looking at PT and Alison Road but of course there are no mods for it, so I have to say, I can understand now why everyone thinks its a bland expererience for the casual audience
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 720x480
>>343515209
>>
>>343514973
>Amnesia Engine
It does not use HPL2, it uses Unity I believe. I think it's good. Not FANTASTIC, it doesn't do enough with the fact that it's a game, but it still had some genuinely good moments of story telling and gameplay (Like finding your way through the house, feeling how it all interconnects, those are good things). It just too often feels like the story came first. Your character, being the older sister, is incredibly bizarre the more you think about it.

Like for all intents and purposes, it appears as though your parents are missing and sister is dead... but there's basically no reaction out of you at all. It'd be better if you were just a concerned neighbor or something
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 200x194
This is a stickup!

Hand over all of your (You)'s and no one gets hurt!
>>
>>343515256
>"VEE doesn't like it, so you see, kid, it's bad! Psh, nothin persenel"
>PT, Allison Road, one just as non-interactive, the other canceled.

Some real great opinions you've got there, turbo tard. Try not to just parrot the hivemind. The game is fine, and the fact that you CAN beat it in 15 seconds, yet it takes most people 2 hours is pretty cool, i'd say. Much more interesting than generic walk-around-and-get-spooked.

Oh and you need to be 18 to post here, buddy
>>
If this game didn't get so many 9/10's and GOTY awards, I don't think it'd be hated as much. Personally I didn't mind it, it was decent for what it was. I'm shocked this game was $20 at release though, that's insane.
>>
>>343515559
Alright I'll bite your bait

As a "game" Gone Home doesn't work.

Walk to this side of the house. Find a map that shows a secret passage on the other side of the house. Repeat two more times til the end.

That isn't gameplay it's busy work.

>muh mystery and story

Fucking please. Listening to some kid rattle about her first world problems is not compelling . And all the false flags about a ghost are only there to keep the majority of people from quitting altogether , hoping that eventually something interesting will happen.

It doesn't work as a game
It isn't compelling enough to be an episode of television

It fails on all fronts.
>>
>>343514645
Boring as shit. Any mystery is lost when you realize the house isn't consistent and you're just going through a linear story.
>>
I pirates it and gave it a whirl. Graphics and shit were serviceable, but that's not the draw of the game. The draw of the game is the story, and frankly it sucks. Mainly because instead of actually exploring the various family members it has a fixation with the dyke sister, considering she interrupts almost every story with her bullshit
>>
Post the speedrun
>>
File: (You).webm (94 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
(You).webm
94 KB, 720x720
>>343515559
Did you just read the first sentence of my post or are you suffering from reading comprehension ?
I just explained confused OP why his first response was like that and stated my own experience right after it.

>one just as non-interactive

So you agree that GH brings nothing interactive to the table whatsoever ? Well the difference is that PT doesnt rely on being interactive but to progress with actually something new every "round".

Oh, and Im probably older than you so try not to get triggered so easy next time
>>
Literally no gameplay with a forbidden teen romance story straight out of a shitty YA novel.
>>
>>343514645
It's alright but the best part about it may be the butthurt it causes on /v/.
>>
File: 8atPtzN.jpg (531 KB, 1032x2647) Image search: [Google]
8atPtzN.jpg
531 KB, 1032x2647
Reminder: Game does not deserve anywhere near perfect score. The creators were personal friends of corrupted sjw gaming journalists, that is how they get perfect scores. They did not get it based on merit.

OP is also most likely a shill.
>>
>>343516915
>>
>>343517017
you will never amount to anything besides a snake oil salesmen.
>>
>>343516915
>>>/8gag/
>>
>>343517017
>being this new

Gone Home is the reason why every game is "shilled" here now

Every meme starts with an ounce of truth.
>>
>>343514645
>it was kinda interesting
>kinda interesting
Wew,I knew your average American is retarded,but if you think lesbianism ( unfortunately it is a real word ) is a theme worth exploring in a pretentious way you should be taken out back and shot in the head.
>inb4 /pol/
I left /v/ when it became shit ( it was always shit, but it pretty much became reddits own outpost on 4chan ) and threads like these remind me why I had left in the first place every time I give /v/ another chance. Die in a fire. Fag.
>>
>>343517258
nigga, that shit was here on /v/ way long before any other site. Only a newfag or someone who visits 8gag way more than /v/ would think it came from 8gag.
>>
File: 1447827416224.jpg (32 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1447827416224.jpg
32 KB, 500x333
Gone Home represents everything wrong with the indie scene and corrupted gaming journalist. These clearly are not 10/10 games or anywhere close.
>>
>>343515327
> I think it's good. Not FANTASTIC
Play some goddamn Thief or Dark Mod levels, holy shit.
You casuals have just no taste in anything.
>>
File: amovieforyoubigguy.jpg (137 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
amovieforyoubigguy.jpg
137 KB, 717x880
>>343515559
>this whole post
>this whole UNIRONIC post
>he finds nothing wrong with a walking simulator bringing nothing new to the table mechanics-wise or ,come to think of it,any (insert here)-wise
>he thinks that "story" holds more value than the descriptions on back of toilet paper packages you read while shitting
nigga the fuck outta here and gas yourself aftewards
>>
>>343517412
Who cares where it's from, the point is it belongs on 8gag
>>
>>343516339
>older than you
ok, bud.

Just as non-interactive =/= non-interactive. Seems like you have the issue with reading comprehension.

I'd like to see you defend your point, that the game is worthless shit. I'd suggest not relying on game-length, because that has no correlation to quality, or non-interactivity, because by very definition that's not true (it IS interactive, and technically even non-linear, as you can approach a variety of sections of the game out of "intended" order).

Beyond those two points, what is your reasoning. I'm genuinely curious
>>
>>343517282
>Gone Home is the reason why every game is "shilled" here now
Yeah, nah

Guess you've never heard of Borderlands

>Every meme starts with an ounce of truth.
Not on /v/ they don't
>>
>>343517790
>he thinks that "story" holds more value than the descriptions on back of toilet paper packages you read while shitting

anon, do you read the back of toilet paper packages while you shit?
>>
>>343517815
>the point is it belongs on 8gag

You don't get to dedicate where it belongs. Nor can you do anything about it either. All you can do is cry about it like a whiny little sjw.
>>
>>343517614
/v/cuck triggered because they shat on his Dangitgrandpa: the post
>>
I also got it with PS+

I enjoy exploring the house and it is well designed but the story and characters are absolute dogshit and you can beat the game in less than a minute. No way on earth should this game be 20 dollars
>>
>>343517790
>he finds nothing wrong with a walking simulator bringing nothing new to the table mechanics-wise or ,come to think of it,any (insert here)-wise
Gone Home's innovation was removing threats. Sometimes perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Gone Home is environmental storytelling in its purest form that does not need to rely on dramatic crutches.
>>
>>343518131
>typical sjw shaming tactics
>thinks he actually pisses anyone on /v/

go back to redit or 8gag you sjw filth.
>>
It's definitely not a masterpiece, but it's on the upper side of "good", Id say.

All the people shitting on the game are usually too easily influenced. They're no better than the people who gave the game 10/10 perfect god-send.

It's not too special, the house design is cool, the atmosphere is mostly very good, the story-telling can be awkward at times but has the proper peaks and valleys.

It's fine, especially compared to other "walking-simulators" of the time. It even has a non-linear design, something that MOST games can't even manage.

tl;dr: It's a fine game. Interesting concept. Not mind-blowing. People who shit on it are usually children who just parrot /v/.
>>
>>343518263
>typical sjw shaming tactics
What, calling people triggered cucks?

Someone better let /pol/ know
>>
File: shill.jpg (78 KB, 715x328) Image search: [Google]
shill.jpg
78 KB, 715x328
>>343517885
>>343517913
>>343518208
>>343518131
>>343518080
You Redditors dont even try to conceal your powerlevel anymore.
>>
>>343518208
>Gone Home's innovation was removing threats.

There are plenty of visual novels out there that doesn't have threats and tell a way better story than your shit. Gone Home is dogshit story and just a shitty walking sim. Only sjw and corrupted gaming journalists would ever praise this shit. And they do it only to push a agenda.

This game is a snake oil advertised as the greatest game of all time. It's the a scam.
>>
>>343518439
The only redditor here is you. You are the one trying to tell everyone that they are from elsewhere. Go fuck off and go back to redit.
>>
>>343518454
>There are plenty of visual novels out there that doesn't have threats and tell a way better story than your shit.
But those are visual novels, not games.
>>
>>343518208
I would argue against that. I think the game is good, mind you, but it certainly wasn't the first to remove any threats. Dear Esther and Stanley Parable both came before Gone Home, as mods.

I will say it's pretty interesting that about 1/2 way through the game you realize "oh, there IS no threat here" and you stop waiting for spooks and jump scares and the tension relieves and you just explore a 90s house. It's kind of comfy...

>>343518185
>can beat in less than a minute
>implying you can do that if you haven't looked it up before

this argument is awful, but I do think I agree on the $20. The value of entertainment is really strange though. I'd gladly pay $60 for MGR again, just because I had so much fun with that game and it's 2 1/2 hours long. It all depends on the person I guess
>>
>>343518540
Ironic considering Gone Home is even a game to most gamers.
>>
>>343518185
I don't get the complaint that you can finish it in minute. Unless you looked up how to beat the game beforehand it's extremely unlikely that would happen. And if one did look up how to beat the game before playing, they clearly didn't want to give it a chance anyway.

>>343518208
I like that in theory but I don't think Gone Home's story was enough to carry it through it's short length. Once the spooky atmosphere wears thin the game sort of meanders and ends anticlimactically. Even if there's no actual threat coming to kill the player character there should be some sort of tension in the story, but I didn't feel that.
>>
>>343518439
>my only defense is to call people shills and redditors

some nice salient points there, fellow /v/-tard xD
>>
Anyone shilling this game should be ashamed of themselves. They know it's a horrible sham that does not deserve any of the praises it got from corrupted journalists.
>>
>>343518616
>Dear Esther and Stanley Parable both came before Gone Home, as mods.
Oh yeah, good point. Although neither of them really went for environmental storytelling the way GH did.
>>
>>343518660
My biggest issue is the player character, by far.

She makes no sense, some times it really shows that they had more experience WRITING a story than making a GAME.

The pacing is odd, because there's an interactive element to the game that it seems they weren't used to needing to utilize, so while the first half is tight, the second starts to come undone because the house becomes so closed (Mostly talking about the basement here).

Playing as the older sister is just really odd, as i said in a different post her actions make very little sense the longer you stay in the house.

I also think the whole "hear your sister in your head when you get to certain places" thing is a little cheap. I get that it's from her diary upstairs, but I haven't gotten there yet. It feels really odd how good the story telling is in the environment, yet they resort to having voices in your head for other sections.
>>
>>343514645
that post is summer/10
>>
>>343515117
I personally just fucking knew I would find the lesbians dead under the stairs but nah that would be too cool
>>
>>343514645
It's a very short 'game.'
It uses the first person perspective and video-game style controls and stuff to tell a story, which isn't a bad thing in itself.
The problem is that the story it tells is quite lackluster and hamfisted at times, and it's most definitely not worth the $20 price tag it was sporting at release.
The main reason /v/ doesn't like it is because most gaming news sites decided it was the second coming of Christ, and gave it 10/10 reviews and ranted and raved about how amazing it was, when in reality it's not much of anything.
>>
>>343519038
I'd say Dear Esther TRIED really hard, but just came flat because the actual story they were trying to tell was so in-congruent. I don't actually like Dear Esther very much, but it does a lot of what Gone Home does, including telling you it's about spooky ghosts, and then telling you it's actually about real-world problems.

Gone Home just does it better, usually.
>>
>>343518208
>its innovation was removing threats
You serious? How about you spend 5 minutes of your time and search for games which also have no threats to burden you in your "adventuring"? Ever heard of Myst you obnoxious fag? You are either retarded or you actually worked on Gone Home, no one can be this delusional.

> Sometimes perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away
Spare me of the reductionist/minimalist pseudointelligent rationale. Minimalism/reductionism function only when there is a deep bedrock on which the ideas are sprung. Gone Home is literally the video-game equivalent of philosophy brought foward by Foucault or other postmodernist hacks. Tropes and inner contradictions without substance of any sort can appeal only to the pseudointellectual who thinks that Queer theory is a serious treatise on socioecon./phil. constructions. Same faggots who blindly defend Derrida/De Beavuoir even when they endorse petitions to lower age of consent ( paedophilia ) are the archetypical representatives of retards,like you, who defend indieesque pieces of shit wrapped in pretentiousness. Times have changed but Gaussian depicting IQ distribution in population remains the same and you , fag, are on the wrong side of it.

>Gone Home is environmental storytelling in its purest form that does not need to rely on dramatic crutches.
I could list a dozen of late 90s,early 2000s adventures that actually nailed "environmental storytelling" and carried a strong/deep/funny message/vibe and actually lived up to the price/hype of the media. Also,Gone Home relies heavily on dramatic crutches, it is iron that the crutches are so weak that you fail to identify them. Those crutches ( mind my pronouns ) are themes people like Renaud Camus actually explored 2 decades ago and since then were mostly ignored because they hold no value/interest to the common man/consumer.
CONT
>>
>>343519368
Well, Dear Esther really did have ghosts.
>>
>>343517719
Does everyone have to like Thief?
>>
>>343519189
>>343519028
>>343518638
>>343518439
>>343518263
>>343517790
>>343517614

Holy shit, look at these arguments, my opinions have been completely swayed
>>
>>343517719
Thief and Gone Home have basically nothing in common though, that makes no sense.

And I've played every fucking Thief game except the newest one because it looks like a pile of shit.

I fucking love Thief, anon, don't do this to me.
>>
>>343519479
Yeah, as if I'm going to bother to argue with some idiot ranting in broken English about his weird hang-ups concerning postmodernism.
>>
File: Untitled.png (691 KB, 812x1968) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
691 KB, 812x1968
>>343519526
Gone Home's devs sure do.
>>
>>343519693
It shows, really. Thief also allows you to enter people's houses and glean all their dirty little secrets from the surroundings.
>>
>>343514862
It can be completed in a .gif that's an appropriate size to upload to this site
>>
>>343516915
Yeah I'm really shilling a year old free game you faggot
>>
>>343514645
I remember PC fags were talking shit about MGS4 being a movie.

This, ladies and chads, is a fucking movie. I get more gameplay out of the interactive menus on my bluray player.
>>
>>343519479
I think most of this is correct/worth thinking about.

I still don't agree on price, simply because the price of entertainment can not be easily quantified.

I think it's worth noting, however, the Gone Home is a "Video Game" which are fairly new, as far as media is concerned. Even though the principals have already been explored, it's often worth it to explore them again in the more infantile medium, to see how they interact with its properties.

Not really defending Gone Home, but arguing the broader point you were making.

>>343519524
They certainly weren't the focus though.
>>
>>343517360
>Everyone is American
Retard.
>>
>>343519897
You can get like an hour into MGS4 without pressing a button. Whereas if you press no buttons in Gone Home, nothing happens.
>>
>>343519780
I remember an interview that said Gone Home was inspired by playing System Shock 1 on the lowest difficulty level (which makes enemies ignore you and unlocks everything automatically). What's left is a game where you wander around and piece together what happened to Citadel's crew. Maybe my memory's just making that up but it was something like that.
I don't think Gone Home's very good at all but I can see what they were going for and I hope they do a better job in the future.
>>
>>343520012
While MGS4 does have a few hours of cutscene, it actually has plenty more hours of actual gameplay and boss fights.

Gone Home is just a walking sim.
>>
>>343520445
>Gone Home is just a walking sim.
Yes, with zero cutscenes. It's 100% gameplay, baby.

Besides, it's not like MGS4 has such riveting gameplay. Speak of walking sims.
>>
>>343519479
CONT.
But somehow Gone Home resonated with the reviewers. Somehow,despite majority of the gayming community openly outing it as a piece of shit it got high scores and was praised for its "boldness/innovation" even though it possessed none of it. And then the natural reactionary ethnos emerged. Hypocrisy surrounding Gone Home was identified and mocked by almost everyone possessing a dick between his legs and functioning frontal lobes. Gone Home represents everything wrong with modern games and since modern games are governed by capitalism,which is in turn governed by the market demand, it represents,by induction, everything wrong with the society. The high browed society of modern man which denies his nature like John Locke did with his "tabula rasa",the society in which progression up the echelons in possible only by holding a single set of beliefs/ideologies,a society in which people who deny metaphysical aspects and importance of war ( "war is nature in its purest,heraclitian form" ) and segregated culture of the warrior,but pride themselves as SJWs ,a society of intolerance of the tolerant ("In Italy there are two types of fascists: fascists and anti-fascists. "),a society which has abandoned its original values ( "A civilization does not,necessarily , die a violent death, but it surely dies when it departs from the values it has created." ),a society which frowns and smirks at the live of the medieval peasant who worked to the death hoping for the afterlife while not realizing they are working to their deaths accumulating material wealth only to slip into "eternal sleep".

It is not your fault you are retarded, but if you spread your retarded opinions and present them as objective truth be ready to defend them ( Plutarch actually thought of this exchange as the essence of life ).

YOU are the problem,you are the cancer of society and ,like anomalous replicating cells that effectively destroy a human body, you are completely unaware of your folly.
>>
For fucks sake /v/ I wish I never made this thread you bunch of moany cunts I didn't like it that much anyway
>>
File: 7896.jpg (44 KB, 493x301) Image search: [Google]
7896.jpg
44 KB, 493x301
>>343520731
>trying to make a thread about a game with icky gross gays on /v/
>>
>>343520540
>It's 100% gameplay, baby.

It's 100% shit tier gameplay. All you're doing is going along the walls until you find a switch or a hidden door. Only a retarded sjw such as yourself could praise that as game of the year.
>>
>>343520607
I have to admit it's slightly surreal seeing someone namedrop philosophers in the same post with such childish digs as "gayming"
>>
>>343519640
> IM LIKE NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH YOU LIKE THIS IS LIKE 2016 LIKE OMG
Also, English is not my native tongue,but I dare you to "deconstruct" anything I said.

> his weird hang-ups concerning postmodernism
I have read everything from Baudrillard to Feyerabend and I challenge you to educate me on my "misconceptions" about postmodern thought. Come on, I double dare you. I am not a fedora who only read Sokal/Brickmont and has the need to shit all over continental philosophy and post modernist hacks, I actually took my time and concluded that they were pieces of shit void of any value. Come on,fag,educate me.
>>
>>343520953
Nah
>>
>>343520953
You sound like such a faggot mate lol
>>
>>343520731
> I wish I never made this thread

Don't you wish there were mods to ban and censor anyone disagreeing with you? Don't you wish it was just another echo chamber?

Well too bad. Welcome to /v/. Don't like it here? Go back to redit where they make safe spaces for sjw like you.
>>
File: you.jpg (12 KB, 200x368) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
12 KB, 200x368
>>343521017
Then at least respond to my first post depicting the game mechanics you defended? Or did you fulfill your mission?
pic related
>>
>>343521508
>Don't like me being a complete cunt well that's too bad you can't do anything to stop me :^)))))

You're not wrong but you're still an arsehole.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.